Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

Bot marketplaces

Bot marketplaces  

256 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have bot marketplaces?

• Yes
    • No

Bots buy/sell prices would all be equal if standing next to each other, there eventully would be no profit to be made,

welcome to the world of the non bot owner lol

Yes I do understand you, some people buy gc's from other players, some people buy items in shop and sell in game for gc's

Other people lease bots to try to make some extra gc's. There are many ways to do it. Bots and items at least keep the game in buisness for us all to enjoy

As much as I hate shopping in malls and shopping centres iRL, I avoid bot-crowded places in EL. I search bots with Rraisa and other tools and when I see an item I want to buy, I make a trip to particular bot, no matter where it is located. I never walk from one bot to another checking prices (/botname inv or wanted does that for me).

I agree some places in game got annoying due to number of bots, I agree some landscapes are quite ruined by bots presence. I see a benefit of creating marketplaces where bots could look more naturally than in a middle of a desert or jungle.

I believe however that owners of existing bots should move to marketplaces voluntarily only, with exception of ridiculously crowded maps, like NC, where a limit of bots per square area could apply.

Another option for small maps would be to use insides of existing building that is not used for another purpose and let owners place a number of bots there. Such "mall" for maps like NC would be a perfect solution.

Voted no. Bot placement is key, with different people using different strategies. If a map is getting overcrowded don't allow additional bots to be placed there.

It really levels the playing field for all bots if the access to it is convenient enough.

Exactly what bot owners don't desire . . . competitive advantage ftw.

Edited by Ozmondius

Come on now what happen to free enterprise and competition.

If you wanna put your Starbucks beside my Starbucks let the price wars begin. :) :)

Don't forget about zoning along with that free enterprise :)

Don't forget about zoning along with that free enterprise :)

Hmmm, set back from principal structure 10 feet, side boundary lines 5 feet, principal permitted usage, oh no (sounds like work and runs away) :)

I would. But places where people train or near where they train.

Maybe like a bot place in melinis for the people who train on dc's and fluffies and ogres where we can get he's and sr's.

The only one in melinis that supplies us that stuff is xanadu.

Edited by daiske1

I don't really understand your post, roja. In part A, you say that you would like to see bots brought together into small areas. In part B, you say you hate those areas, such as NC. Aren't these conflicting?

I mean, I hate to say it, but I find myself agreeing with labrat here. There's no point in seeing the problem of NC as too many bots in an area, and fixing it by moving them to a different area, still crowded. If anything, bots in NC could be given a free move, as suggested previously. This would alleviate the alleged problem.

Anyway, I voted no. My bot is strategically placed, and if it was forcibly relocated, I would probably not renew the annual fee next year. That's not a threat or anything, I just doubt I would make enough sales to even cover the fee(much less make a profit) with 20 other bots buying and selling the same things around mine. Better just to find someone selling gc and pay them my $20.

Bots are an integral part to this game IMO, and so is their placement. I'm not against 'fixing' NC, or any kind of voluntary plan, but I have to vote no on a forced relocation.

I don't really understand your post, roja. In part A, you say that you would like to see bots brought together into small areas. In part B, you say you hate those areas, such as NC. Aren't these conflicting?

Yes I could see you don't understand my post :) Look at the "marketplaces" in game. Do they cover a whole map? No...just a small spot in a map. It's annoying to walk through a map and see bot after bot after bot....it ruins the atmosphere of the game. If the bots were concentrated in small areas that wouldn't.

There are 2 points that no one has brought up yet. First up is the loony leopard. Who wants to risk life and limb (or gc and items) to trade with bots on C2 when they could lose everything they're carrying to lenny. That reduces trades to the time when lenny is asleep. Secondly, this bot free-for-all seems to have started when 'free hosting' started. If bots are to be moved, choose the ones that are getting a free ride. Between myself and LadyBea we have our own tiny 'shopping mall' in Tarsengaard. Tarsengaard is a scantily bot-populated map; loads of room for more bots or a marketplace.

Yes I could see you don't understand my post :) Look at the "marketplaces" in game. Do they cover a whole map? No...just a small spot in a map. It's annoying to walk through a map and see bot after bot after bot....it ruins the atmosphere of the game. If the bots were concentrated in small areas that wouldn't.

But NC is basically a concentrated marketplace, just what you wish to create, from what i can understand. However, that was a specific example you cited as disliking in your post.

Anyway, I think there are enough "not-strategic bots" to make the move voluntary and still have good results. If you were to grant a free move to the new marketplaces, or other incentives, I would guess that enough non-strategic bots would move to make it worthwhile. Please don't financially kill the strategic bots.

There are 2 points that no one has brought up yet. First up is the loony leopard. Who wants to risk life and limb (or gc and items) to trade with bots on C2 when they could lose everything they're carrying to lenny. That reduces trades to the time when lenny is asleep. Secondly, this bot free-for-all seems to have started when 'free hosting' started. If bots are to be moved, choose the ones that are getting a free ride. Between myself and LadyBea we have our own tiny 'shopping mall' in Tarsengaard. Tarsengaard is a scantily bot-populated map; loads of room for more bots or a marketplace.

OMG.. discrimination much? Why are we lesser "citizens", just because we don't pay ridiculous amounts for hosting? We still pay the same amounts you do to the game developers for those bots. So why do we not have the same rights you do? While we're at it, we had better ban those evil people who host their own bots, because they aren't paying either! While i'm on the subject, how do you plan to segregate the non-payers? We all know of the one large non-pay service, but what about smaller ones, between friends? Shall we ask which bot owners are being selfish and not paying $400 a month to a host?

I would like to see your statistics on the correlation between "this bot free for all" and the free hosting service. I have not noticed a large influx of bots. And being one of the first members of this service, I can tell you that a good amount of our users switched to us from "paid" hosts. So please supply your evidence, or stop assuming.

Edited by ilobypie

But NC is basically a concentrated marketplace, just what you wish to create, from what i can understand. However, that was a specific example you cited as disliking in your post.

No, it's not at all what I wish to create. NC is a whole map, I never mentioned making an entire existing map full of bots.

No, it's not at all what I wish to create. NC is a whole map, I never mentioned making an entire existing map full of bots.

I realize that, but aren't most bots in NC concentrated in the small corner near the storage?

I haven't voted because i dont really care if all bots goto market places or not.

But with this Nordcarn thing, is dont see what's so bad about the current bot locations there, it's like some kind of trade/merchants alley.

Osan1974AragonAlleyKenShallenbarger.jpg

Personally I have no problem with the bots close to NC storage

and actually sometimes it was useful for me standing in NC DP or PL

and pming all the bots surrounding me to find what I needed at that moment

The idea of marketplaces is good though

but I also use a few bots that are in some "random" places (caves for example) and I wouldn't like to "lose" them.

This concerns me more from making the NC area for example more "good looking"

Anyway seems I can't vote Yes or No

and I feel I don't have the right , as I am not a bot owner.

Bots are an integral part to this game IMO
I really disagree with this statement. EL did fine before bots and would do so again without them. I do fine without bots too. Personally I think bots in general, and the sheer mass amount of them these days ruins the atmosphere of EL both by eliminating the need to interact with other players for game necessities, and just seeing them every other step littering the views.

and I feel I don't have the right , as I am not a bot owner.
Are you kidding me? Since when did EL become a game for bot owners only?

I really disagree with this statement. EL did fine before bots and would do so again without them. I do fine without bots too. Personally I think bots in general, and the sheer mass amount of them these days ruins the atmosphere of EL both by eliminating the need to interact with other players for game necessities, and just seeing them every other step littering the views.

And I would argue that the convenience and placement of many of the bots greatly increases my ability to enjoy the game by eliminating the need to interact with other players, which can be far more time consuming than an always-on, always-trading bot which has for sale what i would like to buy.

I voted yes, and I agree with a mix of ideas stated throughout this thread.

There are some maps out of control, NC (obviously), DP, PL and to a lesser extent, PV.

First off, I like Cruella's idea of limiting per space, but I actually think you should limit the amount of bots TOTAL on a map. Really, most of those bots in NC need to go, and moved elsewhere ingame so its not a cluster of nothingness.

DP is well off with its area near the storage, but once again, I think a limit is made.

PL also has too many bots, and need to be in a market place.

PV has bots scattered all over Saligen in no orderly fashion. Doesn't do much for the landscape, as Ais points out.

Bots like agneum, spiderwire, shootingshark, moneysoup, iduna, etc who are the only bots on a map/within a small radius are fine IMO. Think of them as a specialty seller :P

So I am suggested that a bot limit is set for all maps. Figure out set marketplaces in the popular maps (DP, EVTR, Glacmor have some great ones already). Give bot owners in the overpopulated maps the option of a free move to one of these new marketplaces, and if not enough people move from the map, randomly choose a bot that will have to move.

I understand you guys paid for locations, but I'm sure there are other strategic places ingame that doesn't involve bot-hell in Nordcarn.

And I would argue that the convenience and placement of many of the bots greatly increases my ability to enjoy the game by eliminating the need to interact with other players, which can be far more time consuming than an always-on, always-trading bot which has for sale what i would like to buy.

If you don't like interacting with other players, why are you here in a mmorpg?

Sounds more like bots are an intergral part of YOUR playing, not EL's. You really can't speak for everyone else.

Runescape ftw \o/

but ya. The notion that you wouldn't talk to people because it consumes too much time is ridiculous. I ALWAYS try storages and channel 3 before checking bots, unless I know I can get a certain product from a bot (eg. Agneum)

Edited by Shujral

EL did fine before bots and would do so again without them. I do fine without bots too. Personally I think bots in general, and the sheer mass amount of them these days ruins the atmosphere of EL both by eliminating the need to interact with other players for game necessities, and just seeing them every other step littering the views.

omg :P while I understand bots help maintain the games free status , totally agree about the whole reducing need for player interaction thing , and I believe economy was better before them but w/e can't change that now

I dont think roja is suggesting gathering all bots in game together into a big messy soup of bot chowder , but to add to the asthetics of the game by creating / using market places so it doesnt look like botcarn ...... we should just ask ourselves the big question imo

Obviously, neither of you understood a word I said. I can either join a channel, advertise for who knows how long, assuming that someone is selling it at all, pm them, arrange a meeting place, get there, wait for the other person, possibly not have them show up, and eventually get the item. Or, I can go to a bot who will always be online, in a certain spot, and depending on the bot/item will always have it in stock. Now some examples here are exaggerated, but my point is that bots are a convenience, not only because of reliability and accountability, but because they are more than willing to deal in small quantities, where as players.... lol. Try selling 5 beaver furs on channel 3, see how many responses you get. And FYI, I didn't say I didn't trade with other players. There are times for trading with other players(example: nonstackable items), and there are times for trading with bots(example: low quantities or when noone else is selling).

Also, if you get enjoyment out of "interacting" by switching a few pms and clicking on an avatar, maybe your guild is not active enough :P Personally, i could care less about this kind of "interacting", if you can even call it that.

Edited by ilobypie

This probz isn't much of a concern but would they be so close together in such a small spot that its like a very crowded storage, becuase people that lag, like me for example would lag out as soon as 10 bots come on screen all close together.

I like the idea of having the bots in one place but not if i grue a couple times when im on my way to a specific bot.

Mabye its just the way i picture what it will be like.

well while were drifting off topic about all this i'd like to say interacting with players is how you make contacts in game, how you get to know people , how you come to get good deals , how you get to be able to build up a decent reputation with people ( and then screw it all up by posting on forums ) , theres something that feels good about being able to barter with a person, change the deal a bit, offer more , offer less , offer something in exchange instead of just /botx buy 25 overpricedthings , but all thats offtopic, so its likely going to be deleted :P