Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ranger_86

Creatures causing attributes penalties

Maybe a nice addition, that would make the fights,invasions much more interesting (and harder) would be if some monsters/special items could cause a penalty to some attributes when hit. This penalty would be permanent, unless the player pays a price relative to the amount of penalty he received at a special NPC (Healer,Cleric). Also new items,stones,spells (or magic resistance can be used),etc might be implemented, so the player might reduce or completely avoid the penalty when being hit.

i think thats stupid..

and even if they did hit you for skill penalties. it shouldnt be permenant. and if it was. the simple use of a potion could get the skill back..

Well it's not as stupid, cause if you take some D&D clone, that's where the idea is from. Anyway, it shouldn't be like any successful hit would give you the penalty, just there should be a chance like getting poisoned or similar. Also I'm for the idea of having a special potion to cure each one the penalties ... but I wouldn't definitely make it a standart one

Also there might be some items to compensate the loss for the time being (amulets, etc.) as proposed in a nearby topic.

Inflicting damage to attributes other than health is not daft, but perfectly feasible in the game, and I think I've mentioned this in the past. It would make things a bit more interesting, as people would have to re-evaluate their strategies.

Attributes and Skills already recover towards their permanent level at 1 point/minute (like health for that matter), and can be boosted (and thus recovered) using existing potions.

However, EL would need to close the exploit where characters gain advantage from having lower-than-normal skills (eg, Arena access, combat experience); those would have to use the permanent value rather than the current.

"Damage" to attributes and skills could come through other means; for example, if a skill failure cost 1 point, then it would impact relentless training and act as a leveller in the battle field -- a powerful fighter _could_ be overwhelmed (tired out) by waves of suicidal newbies... (involuntary skill use, eg defense, may have to be handled slightly differently though).