Eternal Lands Official Forums
Gerrick

Invasions R Us

I agree with what Anna has been saying in her last two posts, but to add there still are some cautionary actions one can take to make sure nothing gets stolen/broken lost;

1) Take off everything even if you are in storage. It may take some time to put stuff back on (I only wear CoL + cape) or waste some HE, but its better than loosing a 60kgc item.

2) Carry Dis Rings where ever you go. This will help, but cool down at start up is a problem here.

3) Be aware. IIRC, Gossip can email you if theres an invasion.

But there are still somethings one can do even if you cant fight. Some of these assume your fast on the clicker...

1) Put everything in storage and go spotting. You'll get to explore and bit and see what the monsters of EL look like. Your best bet in this would be to scout ahead with a group of people.

2) Go extra DE? Pair up with a tank and harm some monsters. The point of a invasion is to end it quickly and to get as many drops as possible right? You can also heal people also, just stick close to the tanks. Summoning might also work, but only if your >=level 30, however it can get quite spammy in a small map (White dragon in VOTD anyone? ;p)

I Do agree that some kinda of safe zone other than IP should be declared. If I had to choose, it would be VOTD or NC. Both are small maps and have most harvestables on them, so atleast if you dont have any ings, you wont be left too high and dry.

Edited by Nerdz

1) As much as I've harvested, looted and been given, never have I gotten enough gc to come near to buying some of the perks and such that make life easier. Just to be able to train in magic, potions, summoning, etc. while I bide my time waiting to be able to go hunting - the money goes away as fast as I can make it. (I can't even imagine what it would be like to have more than 2 or 3k at one time in my possession yet). I hear about and see price tags of 20k, 30k, **200k** and more and it just blows my mind and I think to myself that there must be big payouts later as I level up like in other games I play.

You are correct, in the beginning you can't save much money, which is kind of like the real life is; when you are young, you need to spend more money than you make, but as you grow older, you should be able to save quite a bit.

2) Although creatures may not be supposed to spawn on storage areas - the first 2 times I died due to invasions were because I was frantically trying to dump things off into storage (learned the unfortunate hard way the first time losing my stoof :laugh:) and then beam or walk away. 1st time I just logged into the middle of it didn't know it was happening, and walked to storage and right into a Black Dragon about 5 paces from storage entrance in DP. Next was just as I finished up in VotD ... a red Chim got me. (they spawned a bit before the warning time should have expired - no biggie it happens I'm sure).

Assuming that you don't have the "Scotty Died" perk, the first thing you should do is to type: #beam me up, and then tune to channel 6 and learn about what maps are invaded. My invasions typically follow the same patern.

3) If someone broadcasts repeatedly on chan 6 that they have setup WS invasion for n00bs and higher levels to stay out - then it ought to be for true n00bs or specify that it's actually for lvl such and such + ... I went and put on my armor and sword from storage and thought 'yippie! I finally get to go slaughter some of these bastages!!' only to get nailed by 3 Ogres? Orcs? I didn't even see their names long enough to see them other than their red robes, swords and blip I'm in hell having lost more than half of my armours.

Yes, I am sorry about that, it was an accident (wrong copy and paste). There were only 20 ogres in the whole map, you must had a lot of bad luck.

I am one of a truly select few people that can keep a pretty positive mindset about all of these things and just keep on trucking even if it does make you feel kind of down and out at times.

I can understand how frustrating that is, but like other said, there are some steps you can do to minimize your loss. One of them is put everything in the storage, except for the items you need for the task at hand. So normally you shouldn't lose items worth more than 1Kgc (at your levels).

My wife and I always play WoW, Guild Wars, Runes of Magic, etc. together, but she won't play this game because the first couple of times she spent hours working to get money to get a couple of thigns, then got nailed by a garg at night in WS (before either of us knew better) - she couldn't take the loss anymore and I can totally understand that. None of my friends I brought over have stayed either after the last couple of weeks and I think that really sucks because I really like this game. The main complaint is always that it is too easy to die - and that wouldn't be a problem at all if it wasn't for the fact that you eventually end up with nothing that way.

Well, I am sorry that your wife feels that way. But I am sure that she died in other games as well and lost something. It's part of the MMO player life. Some people lost really expensive stuff (usually not due to invasions), and oh well, life goes on :)

What I'm trying to get across here is that I know personally that other people are really frustrated with the fact that this game is like the pinnacle of what they've been looking for as far as the magic and crafting systems go, having an open character system that lets you do everything you want, but then it all falls apart just when you get going. Most people just don't have the patience for that and get too attached to their toons to watch their items disappear so quickly.

Again, there are many steps you can take to minimize your loss on death.

I just think this community would be double or triple the size if there were just a few considerations made for the beginners. These are just my own observations and opinions and are not going to keep me from continuing to play because I want to see what happens, but I honestly want people to consider these things if you are interested in attracting and keeping more new people. I understand wanting to filter out as many idiots as possible, but there comes a time when we need to stop and consider how a few very minor things could make a huge difference. No need to do major recoding or system hacking either.

Actually, I made a lot of concessions for the newbies in the past few years. Things are MUCH easier for them now (they start with more a/d, the rabbits do almost no damage, you don't lose items until overal 15, you get free healings by the tutorial NPC, you don't go to the underworld until level 12 or so, the tutorial quest has been simplied, and so on).

Anyway, I took note of the sugestions to keep some maps always safe, and I'll think about it and announce it if I come to a decision about this subject.

So there we have invasions on 4 straight nights, averaging something more like 2 hours as apposed to 1.

I think we are suffering from selective reading?

And the hidden invasion doesn't count, because I don't think there was any 'collateral damage' from it.

Rather than selectively going through and quoting a bunch of individual things, I'll just make a short reply here...

If you will re-read my posts carefully you will notice that I am fully aware of channel 6, the ability to use #beam me, etc.

I have learned (quickly and by my own experience) that I should leave nearly everything in storage at all times unless I absolutely need it.

I have learned to find shelter before I log out in any particular map.

Etc

Etc

The point is: your average new user has no idea of any of these things and is likely to get lambasted in the invasions.

My original point was simply: The number of invasions just seemed to be getting out of hand to the point where us low level players weren't able to play the game - we were too busy doing all of those above things you just talked about - mainly running and hiding, then logging off, logging in to see if it's over, no - ok, check back, no - ok, check back, no - ok I'll try tomorrow.

None of this is intended as finger pointing - it is solely intended as some constructive criticism on what I think could be a direction for some simple quick fixes for n00bs.

Believe me, I understand the hazards of 'life' in game. I've been playing online MMO-type and MMOs since the days of 300 baud modems. Doors or MUDs anyone? Probably why I really like this particular game and want to see it do so well :laugh:

Take care,

Gerrick

Outside storages are not supposed to have creatures dumped directly on them, but users beware, you can and will die if invasion creatures wander on over and you are afk or otherwise unprepared there.

Can I have my Rosto back from the Lucaa invasion then please ? I was stood at MM storage and within sight of my swivel camera Lucaa appeared followed by Ice Dragon, Cockatrices and Giants [/end of sob story]

*edit* Im joking ( not about where Lucaa was in comparison to MM sto :laugh: )

*edit 2* To be fair four huge invasions in 4 days is pretty rare aint it ? I think it is anyway , last year *for awhile* there were No Drop Day invasions pretty much every weekend and they were kinda cool

Even invasions where it was possible for new players to REALLY make a difference , those particular ones were organised in Maps on C2 where there are vantage points where non combat peeps could cast spells at invasion monsters, run supplys to fighters , organise themselves to bring down wave after wave of high level st00f ....

but Gerricks points are pretty good really , and I like Conovars suggestions of seperating high level and low level onto C1 & C2 , makes alot of sense

Edited by Ateh

I started to play just before xmas and very often when I log on are some monsters left from an invasion.

I leave always ch6 open before I log off and even if I ask if the map I'm on is safe, are people often not able to tell me.

The monsters left at that time use to be some dragons, some at known places, some not found yet.

As I just got out of my bed. am I not in the mood for dragonfighting but for some coffee and a little relaxed mining, I use to log off and play another game.

I have not been online when an invasion have started - it use to be the good part, not the leftover dragons.

The new special invasion day - I have never seen any - have not been much on lately - if I play another game do I not log on to ask if all maps are safe but stay on the other game.

Maybe there could be added some sort of "safe time after login".

So if you log in after more then 1 hour from previous login, you are safe from invasion monsters for next 5 minutes...

This would give you a chance to find a safe place and/or type #beam me.

I recall a similar thread. My opinion has not changed. Too frequent invasions are less of fun and more of a nuisance. A definition of 'too frequent' changes between people, though. I guess for me it's more than 3 times per week.

I'd also like to add that inside buildings are safe, as well as inside storages.

I clearly remember waking up in hell one day after I had gone afk in the fast read area in Glacmor Academy.

I know this probably was just a one time thing.. but I should have been able to go afk there for the night and not worry about my safety.

I recall a similar thread. My opinion has not changed. Too frequent invasions are less of fun and more of a nuisance. A definition of 'too frequent' changes between people, though. I guess for me it's more than 3 times per week.

Most people in channel 6 do not object to invasions whenever I ask them.

And 1 of the 3 invasions that took place this weekend was in a totally different timezone than the other two. In fact, I don't even think you were online during two of them, so I don't understand how they were a nuisance for you.

Keep in mind though that what seems like something small (the 5 minute safety upon login idea for example) is actually in most cases, a lot of coding, testing, re-testing, then updating the client.

Although I think any number of good suggestions can be kept tally of for future releases like this, we also can't expect the developers to crank out insta fixes. It is really a pain to explain but there is a lot of detail that goes into making even small changes. Shoot, the websites I upkeep are a pain and that's nothing compared to this stuff trust me :laugh:

I think that the overall scenario we've been exploring here could be looked at from a simpler perspective where just a few changes could be made without effecting any existing system components. It appears to me from observation that the invasions can be controlled to a pretty granular order. Where, what kind, how many monsters, levels, etc. - I think just perhaps a little mulling over these details and making a few changes would resolve most of the issues being discussed regarding invasions.

That leaves plenty of time for other patches and updates in due process as the developers are moving along and can figure them into their structure. It's been a long time now, but I used to do a lot more than just HTML and PHP and I completely understand where these guys are coming from on this.

Take care,

Gerrick

Edited by Gerrick

I almost always do my invasions at night (US time), and I give a 20, 10 and 1 minute warnings.

I (and I'm sure a lot of other European players who love to participate in invasions) would be very happy if we could have invasions also during European prime time, at least once every five "US" invasions. Out of the last dozen or so of invasions it was either almost over when I logged in or less than 200 monsters left during early morning working hours for Europe (so unable to chase them again). I know this has been raised many times on forums and in channel 6 but I think it is worth to repeat. Thanks for considering.

As to annoyance of invasions, I do not experience that because:

- I always log off in a safe inside area (storage) that is never invaded (unless it is NDD invasion) or on IP

- I always type #il just after logging in to see if there is invasion and if yes, tune to ch. 6 to see which maps are safe

- in almost every case when I log in during invasion, the entire C1 is safe, so opportunities to do things in game are endless

Apart from timing of Radu's invasions inconvenient for some time zones, the only thing I'd changed would be to add more GIWS invasions for C2 and include creatures other than dragons in these invasions.

When you login - you will have all rings/pots cooldowned.

If you are near a strong invasion monster you will die... and that is pretty much regardless of your levels if the monster happens to be a couple of dragons

So take the advice given above - always, always log off naked, on IP or in a storage building.

I always do.... yes it takes a moment or 2 to load up with what you need - but remember - EL continues when you log out - so the game to which you return is not necessarily in the same state as when you left it.

I'd also like to add that inside buildings are safe, as well as inside storages. However this does NOT include caves or mines, or storages inside caves or mines. (Yes there were previous incidents but that will not be happening anymore)

That's not true, I remember being killed irsis storage by an invasion long ago. So if the rules didn't change you can't be absolutely safe in buildings.

The rules didn't change, but it was never OK to invade at storages. I think Acelon might have done it, but I reprimanded him for that and it will not happen again.

The rules didn't change, but it was never OK to invade at storages. I think Acelon might have done it, but I reprimanded him for that and it will not happen again.

Oh ok, that explains :laugh:

There was one invasion on NDD when nearly all C2 storages have been invaded, not all at once though. It was preceded with blue global warning and it was nice for a change (combined with a massive C2 UW invasion).

Welcome to channel 6.

You are on channel #6, and there are currently 88 players on this channel.

Your active channel is #6.

You left channel 6.

This is from just now as I am reading this topic and checked channel 6, this is 88 people on channel 6 (don't know if there are any bots on this channel, I ignored them), that's right now about 1/3 of the online players. (There are 286 Players Online: )

I'm also quite sure not every single person on channel 6 replies when you ask.

Just wanting to say, I know some people simply enjoy being "monster snacks", I know others who are absolutely disgusted by invasions, who might not be on channel 6 to say they'd prefer to have no invasion and you hear only shouting in joy about the upcoming invasion, but how many people do reply and what % of the online community are they and can their opinion be taken for everyone?

As for me, I don't really care much for the invasions. Sometimes I'll join, sometimes I won't. I'm pretty useless as it is due to my reset and my current attribute setup and blabla. For the fun of it I can join up here and there and assist in killing stuff as I do still make a steady character for taking the hits.

Sometimes I just don't go because I don't feel like, because there's a low amount of monsters left when I log in and don't wanna go search.

Or since the last invasion that I was in - because there's a ridiculous overkill spawn that happens, while I'm ok with the idea that rostos need to poof and crap, there was an almost impossible chance to get out.

I personally got out in the one single way I possibly could, but I saw a crapload of people die with like no chance to escape. That doesn't fit my idea of a fun invasion, it shouldn't be too easy to escape, but having nearly 0 chances of getting out is ridiculous at the same time.

It's not that I mind donating a brick when I lose a fight with some stupid monster, but ffs, getting trapped in a single-combat map with monsters way stronger then me, fighting one and being surrounded by about another 100 ready to catch a diss ring and 90% of the monsters strong enough to kill me in less then 30 seconds with no chance to escape, that's not an invasion I will go to, that's an invasion I will avoid and when I will look for something else to do, in EL or another game.

And yes, that's a bit of a complaint, I dunno about other people, but I know I saw many sit down at the beam after I managed to get out myself and it looked like many didn't go back anymore, because it'd just be a waste of rostogols and items. Consider it, people won't go if it's like impossible for them to be able to do anything/much, it's the reason why you disabled the healing of invasion monsters aswell. >=P

Umm, that's all I can think of to say right now, so I'll stop here. :P

-Gohan

Personally I hate invasions, mostly I end up in UW within the 1st minutes or simply beam and sit there until I deem is safe to go to WS and harve dung (not always the case, so I end up in UW). Yay such fun! There has been two exceptions to this rule though.

Some time ago I suggested that some invasions were designed so that a low lvl fighters like me had a chance to have fun before dying. The response boiled down to "STFU n00b! go train your a/d" luckily either some mods liked the idea, or had the same idea, and made the "Troll King" invasions, during these invasions a few maps were named along with what levels of monsters could be expected there. There were enough different maps used that the invasion was fun for all, and the responses in @6 was extremely positive. Unfortunately I have only been on-line for one of them.

I hope we will see more of these or similar invasions, though I know they take a lot of effort by the mods running it.

The second one was in KF after it had become NDD, loads of fun and loads of trips back from the UW. Don't think I killed anything.

Never seen that question in @6, I would probably just have kept quiet if had, as people that voice an opinion against invasions tend to get flamed. But if global invasions did not happen at all it would be fine with me, I sure wouldn't miss them.

Invasions aren't fun for *new* players unless its a NDD

We should have some of those NDD invasions like we used to more often imo... but i know they wouldn't be Radu's favorite :)

Ya, those were fun. In addition to their not being worries about no drops, there were many *distinct* areas for different level groups (spiders and armed gobs in votd, clops in DP, chims in Ida, etc.). Recently, I've noticed more blended invasions, with ferans and fluffs in the same map. This really discourages a low-level player such as myself from giving it a try.

With OA 82 i am not probabelly too high player, but iam playing for more than 3/4 year and learned many things on the way.

It is possible to avoid invassions many times and you can somehow quess, if it is reasonably safe to go outside house after some research on @6.

Some invasions are "local" ( Monsters will spawn in 1 minute inside the Portland Cave!) and if you are on the other end of world you are probabelly safe.

I got Monster Magnetismus as soon as i could and it pays for each and ever PP and gc spend on it. (After i did #reset i got it again in less then one RL day). It opens otherwise dangerous maps, so there is more places where to go, when some invasion is on way.

But it is still pain in ass and i do not like invassions at all. I would be much more happy, if there would be no invasions in EL at all. (And the same goes for PK areas too.)

But EL is so good game, that i will continue to play it, even if i am fulle aware, that those wishes are not became true.

I turn @6 only when there is invasion AND i need to go outside, just to decide, if it is possible, or if i rather should logout and came later. (I did not hear Radu asking there, otherwise i would answer clearly, but i am usually not tuned to @6 as i am not interested in having all my conversation spammed by some stupid monsters.)

Radu - IMHO asking at @6 about invasion is as well effective as asking about PK on PK server - everyone would agree, as barely someone else is there. Try to do it the way Annatira does - Blue spam with "PM me if you like invasions or not", maybe it would get better statistical responses as it will reach even those, who does not happily wait for invasion on @6.

I have always a lot of items in sto, so i am usually able to avoid invassion and silently mix in some indoor storage, but it is not fun for me and never was. It is the same way, as i learned to cope with "you failed to do XYZ and lost ingredients". No more fun or pleasure than that.

Radu - IMHO asking at @6 about invasion is as well effective as asking about PK on PK server - everyone would agree, as barely someone else is there. Try to do it the way Annatira does - Blue spam with "PM me if you like invasions or not", maybe it would get better statistical responses as it will reach even those, who does not happily wait for invasion on @6.

Most people stay on the channel to hunt lenny. There was 144 people on channel at that time(when I remember him asking). Don't ask why I know I was just #ci'ing to check how many people were randomly on that channel searching for lenny vs the previous days invasion. Its not invasion specific. Its basically just a general chat that people are too lazy to turn off.

I really hate invasions too.

It just ruins this game, same as dropping thing when you die ! I mean, I can't remember more then 1 other game in which this happens. Its so unusual, so we should changed it ! Let's all gather together and harvest (click and wait....then click...and wait....then click...)...

Now seriously, this game is indeed unique, it has great community (excluding me), awesome things that other games simply doesnt have (chance to lose expensive stuff when you die / chance to TAKE expensive stuff from someone when he/she dies, invasions which I always participate, even if monster are 40 a/d levels higher then me, because I can always help with harm/ranging, a group of mods that will always make your game easier...and many other things I forgot).

So please, for **** sake, leave the invasions alone.

The only beef I have with invasions, is the wake up in the morning, and log on and be in the middle with no chance in heck to survive

So I always log off in safe place, with esse/rings/rosto