Eternal Lands Official Forums
Gerrick

Invasions R Us

Ok I have a question that nobody seems to be able to answer, and I think it needs to be discussed so I'm placing this in General Chat. Moderators feel free to move this wherever you feel iis appropriate if need be.

Are all of the recent invasions going to be an ongoing addition to EL? If so, will there be some sort of 'safe time zone' or some way for those of us that just aren't leveled up enough yet / trained up enough to survive *any* of the invasions to be able to avoid them, yet still be able to play the game?

Here is my point. The last several days, it just so happens that every time I log in, there is either an invasion going on at that time, or one happens within the hour. Invasions last anywhere from 1 hour to hours and hours on end. Usually close to or beyond the point I have to log off. This prevents my character from being able to train, get to storage, really do anything other than beam back to IP and harvest veggies for hours - and it ends up seeming like I will never get to the point of being able to roam around and actually explore the rest of EL because my character just can't progress being stuck in IP half or more of the time.

I do not wish to take away the experience from those that obviously enjoy it. I can't wait to be able to participate!! But how am I supposed to be able to progress if there are no areas with which to do so without simply dying all the time? I've been to a couple of the so called "n00b" invasions in WS also - I don't see how these are considered 'n00b' friendly, or what levels are considered acceptable for newcomers and invasions. I have tried to be attentive to the channels, not be annoying, ask few questions, but can't get an answer to this - therefore I saved up, armored up best I could, and went out - doesn't matter if you get overwhelmed by 4 or more monsters, you're dead at my level - losing half the stuff you spent days buying...

I guess it is just very frustrating having found a game that just really fits the bill and I really enjoy playing, and now when I do get time during the day to play it, I don't get to play because the invasions are catering to another groups desires and needs. Can't there be some sort of division either on maps, zones, or instances?

Anyway, take care all - hope that all came across ok I'm not the best at writing out things, but just trying to get through what I and some others are feeling the last week or so. Well since the invasions have been hitting hard here lately basically.

C-me!

Gerrick

Here are some tips that might be able to help you out a bit.

First, there are two kinds of invasions. One is the automated kind, that will happen (if it is going to at all), at the start of every EL hour. There will be announcements before it happens, warning it will happen, and where, so you can go elsewhere if you so desire. The second type are the manually run "god" invasions, run by a few mods. Those are not predictable, and sometimes they will be more frequent than others, and that is solely based on what mods are available when. These invasions get an announcement as well beforehand.

Always log off in a house or tavern, or similar inside place. Those are safe places. Do not assume caves are safe, they generally are not. By doing this, you can guarantee you will log in safely.

Type #il to see if there are any invasion creatures still around. If you get a number, go into channel 6 to ask for information about what are left and where.

Always pay attention to the blue messages you see, they are informative. Invasions do not cover all of EL at a time, only a few maps at a time per invasion.

Always have one or two teleport rings on you, for places that are generally safe or that the odds are having low level creatures in the rare chance there are invasion creatures there. By having a couple different options, you can still find out what information you need to know as I described above, then get someplace safe to play the game as you like to play it.

I can't believe that u can't do anything during invasion. Train in gob place or mine inside

First, there are two kinds of invasions. One is the automated kind, that will happen (if it is going to at all), at the start of every EL hour. There will be announcements before it happens, warning it will happen, and where, so you can go elsewhere if you so desire. The second type are the manually run "god" invasions, run by a few mods. Those are not predictable, and sometimes they will be more frequent than others, and that is solely based on what mods are available when. These invasions get an announcement as well beforehand.

Always log off in a house or tavern, or similar inside place. Those are safe places. Do not assume caves are safe, they generally are not. By doing this, you can guarantee you will log in safely.

Type #il to see if there are any invasion creatures still around. If you get a number, go into channel 6 to ask for information about what are left and where.

Always pay attention to the blue messages you see, they are informative. Invasions do not cover all of EL at a time, only a few maps at a time per invasion.

Always have one or two teleport rings on you, for places that are generally safe or that the odds are having low level creatures in the rare chance there are invasion creatures there. By having a couple different options, you can still find out what information you need to know as I described above, then get someplace safe to play the game as you like to play it.

That is all great information. Information that I currently try to use actually. My point is that the frequency and coverage (the number of maps available to people at my level) of the invasions happening recently are reducing my options more and more to simply - #beam me.

You say the invasions are limited to only a few maps at a time, but this is not the case lately. I have not been able to spend a full login in WS, VotD, or DP now for some time. Granted - as I said I am sure much of this is due to my luck of the draw of my login times. But I have tried to vary those times since these have started occurring more often and it seems I can't get around them.

I have tried to be studious and read through the help files (tremendous and awesome effort. The encyclopaedia is just an absolute gem!) and online a LOT. Trying to find if there are other maps suited to my level I just am not going to or something, but people haven't answered me otherwise and I haven't found much information online either. I am sure there are plenty of websites but I am not finding that kind of info for the starters.

In the end trying to find a place to play the game safely as one wants to play it as you put it - just isn't an option unless you have progressed enough already to ward off a few things.

I guess it is a moot point and there is nothing to be done. I just really like this game as it's the first one I've found with all these great options and I'm looking forward to seeing how my character progresses. It is just frustrating not being able to make any progress so often. BUT I'm going to go because it looks like now might be a good time to do some stoof!!!

Take care,

Gerrick

I see his point , and I think he stated it clearly and with respect. Simple truth is it doesnt matter if your 92/97 a/d like me , if you are stood at MM storage when the god/mod decides to summon Giants / Cockatrice / Ice Dragon right on top of you , your going to die and loose your rostogol stone

So advice is next time you want to armor up and try an invasion , if your equipment is worth 20kgc or more then buy a rostogol stone in case you die .....

Invasions aren't fun for *new* players unless its a NDD , so they can get killed 200 times by all the diff creatures of EL. Perhaps his point is more valid than anyone would care to admit , for a new player starting up the C1 invasions could put them off if theres too many, especially if there are Yetis in VOTD , Giants in MM , and a Dragon on every popular C1 map :)

I can't believe that u can't do anything during invasion. Train in gob place or mine inside

I didn't say I can't do anything. I have spent almost all of my time harvesting, etc. That's why my a/d is only 12/12 and my oa is nearly 30!! :)

I have asked several people with no response so excuse the n00b here, but I'd be more than happy to train anywhere I can anytime that is my level - where or what is gob? It is not in any acronym area of help in the game or on the site I can find.

Thank you

Gerrick

yea, the only thing i hate is the 'too many invaded monsters in one area'.

losing a rostogol(s) just because of lag in regards to too many monsters sucks.

i love invasions, though, they're great fun. it just sucks when they end up being expensive as hell.

As a long time player I have to sympathize and agree whole heartedly with what Gerrick says.

Don't get me wrong, I love this game, but I hate invasions. Absolutely and unequivocably. I go to beam and heal people to have something to do, or make ess or hide out somewhere and chat. I don't think I'm the only one who feels like this.

My opinion is probably worth little, but i think we need to have some hard and fast safe places. I know you'll say, "Go to IP and quit whining." If invasions lasted an hour, I would be satisfied with that. But they don't. They last hours and hours. When you have plans, are looking forward to a relaxing time leveling in whatever skill and chatting with friends, then log on and *another* invasion is going on, it's very tempting to just log off and watch a dvd.

I think we lose a lot of new players because we don't offer them enough protection until they can protect themselves.

MY 2cents. Flame away.

Invasions aren't fun for *new* players unless its a NDD

We should have some of those NDD invasions like we used to more often imo... but i know they wouldn't be Radu's favorite :)

Well, on average, the non random invasions happen usually once every 2 days, but in the weekends they can be more often. I almost always do my invasions at night (US time), and I give a 20, 10 and 1 minute warnings. Yes, if you log in right in the middle of an invasion it kind of sucks, so log out in a safe place (inside some building).

Also, the invasions usually last about 1 hour, although some monsters can still be around for many hours, but that's mostly for relatively unused maps. The main maps such as VOTD, WS, etc. are cleared pretty fast.

My opinion is probably worth little, but i think we need to have some hard and fast safe places.

Maybe an option would be to keep 99% of the Invasions to C2 (and 100% of the high level ones), and those aimed at lower level players kept to certain C1 maps: ie: TG,MM,Naralik.. Leaving the other C1 maps free for new players to use in safety

You might be interested in this site: http://www.el-cel.com/

It will help you see what is on each map and the monsters there as well. It might help you find more maps you would like to visit/level/play on, as well.

Also consider getting the MM cape or perk (monster magnetism). It won't protect you from invasion creatures, but it will protect you from everything naturally on the maps on C1 (Seridia) and everything except arctic chims, dragons, and lenny that are on C2 (Irillion). (Oh, and not summons creatures on PK maps either.)

Don't get me wrong, I sympathise with you too, I almost never participate in invasions because I get too distracted doing other stuff, so I am always on the hunt for safe places. These are the things I do for myself as well. I think your most important next step is to get to know the maps better so you can stake out good safe inside storages and places you can still roam all with the help of a MM cape/perk. :)

Maybe an option would be to keep 99% of the Invasions to C2 (and 100% of the high level ones), and those aimed at lower level players kept to certain C1 maps: ie: TG,MM,Naralik.. Leaving the other C1 maps free for new players to use in safety

Good ideas, to be more specific on the kind of c1 maps i think Cona means; all the ones that need def21+ to be safe, as at least very new players are already wary of the danger of these maps.

You might be interested in this site: http://www.el-cel.com/

@Ghrae/CEL:

Maybe on el-cel.com the current amount of invaded creatures, if greater than 0, could be displayed on the main page? ...people could then check before they log on if there's an invasion happening ^^

Edited by Korrode

I'd also like to add that inside buildings are safe, as well as inside storages. However this does NOT include caves or mines, or storages inside caves or mines. (Yes there were previous incidents but that will not be happening anymore)

Outside storages are not supposed to have creatures dumped directly on them, but users beware, you can and will die if invasion creatures wander on over and you are afk or otherwise unprepared there.

I love this game, but I hate invasions.
Absolutely and unequivocably.
I don't think I'm the only one who feels like this.

I think we lose a lot of new players because we don't offer them enough protection until they can protect themselves.

MY 2cents. Flame away.

:) Amen sister. I logged off Saturday night because I was caught unawares during an invasion. I sat in c2 Hell for over an hour waiting for idaloran to clear. I don't know anyone that wants to die, spawn topside, die, spawn topside, die...........you get the idea. :pickaxe: And it wasn't easy creatures that were in Ida.

Those are not predictable, and sometimes they will be more frequent than others, and that is solely based on what mods are available when. These invasions get an announcement as well beforehand.

It's not fun to run hide all the time. And hiding inside storage for hours isn't fun either.

Worrying about whether you have enough time to get from point a to point b before you get attacked isn't helping game play, in my opinion. The hours long invasion monsters can be fun if there's NDD attached. Day of the dead AND an invasion?

Ok so I've read over the responses and want to thank everyone for their input so far. I think a day in the life of Gerrick might be useful as an aid for some of these responses however:

Consider that many new players would more than likely experience most of the same things as myself. Visit the same places, do many of the same type of things, etc. If nothing else... we definitely all have to start out in c1 and spend a lot of time in WS, DP, and VotD outside of IP that is once we move on from there.

1) As much as I've harvested, looted and been given, never have I gotten enough gc to come near to buying some of the perks and such that make life easier. Just to be able to train in magic, potions, summoning, etc. while I bide my time waiting to be able to go hunting - the money goes away as fast as I can make it. (I can't even imagine what it would be like to have more than 2 or 3k at one time in my possession yet). I hear about and see price tags of 20k, 30k, **200k** and more and it just blows my mind and I think to myself that there must be big payouts later as I level up like in other games I play.

2) Although creatures may not be supposed to spawn on storage areas - the first 2 times I died due to invasions were because I was frantically trying to dump things off into storage (learned the unfortunate hard way the first time losing my stoof :)) and then beam or walk away. 1st time I just logged into the middle of it didn't know it was happening, and walked to storage and right into a Black Dragon about 5 paces from storage entrance in DP. Next was just as I finished up in VotD ... a red Chim got me. (they spawned a bit before the warning time should have expired - no biggie it happens I'm sure).

3) If someone broadcasts repeatedly on chan 6 that they have setup WS invasion for n00bs and higher levels to stay out - then it ought to be for true n00bs or specify that it's actually for lvl such and such + ... I went and put on my armor and sword from storage and thought 'yippie! I finally get to go slaughter some of these bastages!!' only to get nailed by 3 Ogres? Orcs? I didn't even see their names long enough to see them other than their red robes, swords and blip I'm in hell having lost more than half of my armours.

I am one of a truly select few people that can keep a pretty positive mindset about all of these things and just keep on trucking even if it does make you feel kind of down and out at times.

My wife and I always play WoW, Guild Wars, Runes of Magic, etc. together, but she won't play this game because the first couple of times she spent hours working to get money to get a couple of thigns, then got nailed by a garg at night in WS (before either of us knew better) - she couldn't take the loss anymore and I can totally understand that. None of my friends I brought over have stayed either after the last couple of weeks and I think that really sucks because I really like this game. The main complaint is always that it is too easy to die - and that wouldn't be a problem at all if it wasn't for the fact that you eventually end up with nothing that way.

I want to contribute to this place, but I don't want to end up being a burden either so I will just keep plugging away the best I can.

What I'm trying to get across here is that I know personally that other people are really frustrated with the fact that this game is like the pinnacle of what they've been looking for as far as the magic and crafting systems go, having an open character system that lets you do everything you want, but then it all falls apart just when you get going. Most people just don't have the patience for that and get too attached to their toons to watch their items disappear so quickly.

I just think this community would be double or triple the size if there were just a few considerations made for the beginners. These are just my own observations and opinions and are not going to keep me from continuing to play because I want to see what happens, but I honestly want people to consider these things if you are interested in attracting and keeping more new people. I understand wanting to filter out as many idiots as possible, but there comes a time when we need to stop and consider how a few very minor things could make a huge difference. No need to do major recoding or system hacking either.

Anyway, sheesh I'm long winded sorry. Hard to portray what I want to say in few words like some people are good at.

Take care all,

Gerrick

Well, on average, the non random invasions happen usually once every 2 days, but in the weekends they can be more often. I almost always do my invasions at night (US time), and I give a 20, 10 and 1 minute warnings.
Also, the invasions usually last about 1 hour, although some monsters can still be around for many hours

From my chatlogs over just the past few days;

Hourly time-stamp: log continued at 2009-01-22 16:56:41 localtime (Pacific Standard Time)

[17:25:19] #Message from radu: We have a hidden invasion out there, lots of monsters, for every level. Most of them are in C2, but there are some in C1 as well. Channel 6 for talks

<That one was hardly a hazard, but just evidence of frequent invasions>

Hourly time-stamp: log continued at 2009-01-23 22:09:22 localtime (Pacific Standard Time)

[22:19:42] #Message from radu: we are going to have an invasion, as usual, in about 20 minutes

[22:29:16] #Message from radu: C1 and C2 invasion in 10 minutes

[22:38:55] #Message from radu: c1 and c2 invasion in 1 minute

[23:43:42] #GM from:tons of cocks, yeti, ogres at tele in trass

[00:23:17] #GM from: hi gman. rest of invaders still roam maps

<that invasion, the very next day, lasted upwards of an hour before most monsters were cleared on c2>

Hourly time-stamp: log continued at 2009-01-24 20:19:03 localtime (Pacific Standard Time)

[20:36:47] #Message from radu: we are going to have a 'little' invasion in 10 minutes

[20:54:06] #Message from radu: C1/C2 invasion in 1 minute, sorry for the delay

[21:58:52] #Ig [] many at 534,287 in ida

[22:16:51] #GM from: did you clear bethel by any chance

[22:16:54] #GM from: no

[22:35:35] #GM from: evtr, zia nad i just killed a red dragon

[22:55:13] #Message from radu: We will have a server update in 5 minutes, for more info: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=48061

[22:55:46] #GM from: server update mid invasion lool

<That invasion was cut short by the server update, but lasted more than an hour as well>

Hourly time-stamp: log continued at 2009-01-25 14:32:50 localtime (Pacific Standard Time)

[15:07:42] #Message from Acelon: The sky begins to darken and a blood red light tears through the clouds. The howls of beasts is carried upon the winds throughout the lands...

[17:21:24] #Message from Acelon: The invasion has ended! Congrats to all those who fought and defeated the forces of Mortos.

<That invasion lasted over 2 hours>

So there we have invasions on 4 straight nights, averaging something more like 2 hours as apposed to 1.

I think this is a valid concern, there are those of us that quite enjoy invasions, and those of us that do not like them in the least. They present a hazard not only to newbies who can't handle even the weakest monsters, but to people who would prefer to do something other than fight as well.

but that's mostly for relatively unused maps. The main maps such as VOTD, WS, etc. are cleared pretty fast.

VotD and WS are cleared out fairly fast, which is nice for the newbies. But being new players its often hard for them to tell. If all they know is that there is still an invasion going on its difficult to make sense of the spam on channel 6 to find out if their favored maps are clear. And sometimes even if a map is cleared at one point, it is filled with monsters again. For the most part for the entire duration of active invading of monsters its dangerous to venture out, you don't know might pop up where.

Even though some of yours, Radu, end in an hour to an hour and half. They do have stray monsters that last quite awhile. And in actuality they're not always on unused maps, sometimes its just a stray monster that lurks out of sight for a remarkable amount of time. Sometimes it is something weak on an unused map, but how are we to know? The stray monsters aren't a lot of a problem, its easy just to be aware and carry dis rings, but personally I would still consider this a continuation of an invasion as it forces me to deviate from my typical gameplay.

We've had times of frequent invasions and times where we had very few, it really seems to change a lot. Recently there have been many, which is frustrating for newbies and advanced players who would rather mix and harv as well.

It would be wonderful if the ideas of limiting invasions (for the most part, maybe not *always*) to certain maps, or establishing 'safe maps' outside of IP and the indoor areas would be very nice. This gives everyone a chance to play the game as they like, while still having invasions for people to enjoy (and in which they can break gear and lose rostos... of course :)).

-edit-

Thanks Ace, that's much appreciated :pickaxe:

Edited by Enly

Well, on average, the non random invasions happen usually once every 2 days, but in the weekends they can be more often. I almost always do my invasions at night (US time), and I give a 20, 10 and 1 minute warnings. Yes, if you log in right in the middle of an invasion it kind of sucks, so log out in a safe place (inside some building).

Also, the invasions usually last about 1 hour, although some monsters can still be around for many hours, but that's mostly for relatively unused maps. The main maps such as VOTD, WS, etc. are cleared pretty fast.

Labrat had an idea about having the client send to the server #il before you log in? so at log in screen it would say, "there are Xamount of monsters left"

This would be a nice feature, or perhaps remove the cooldown on dis/tele rings at log in time? This way you can least survive (maybe)

Labrat had an idea about having the client send to the server #il before you log in? so at log in screen it would say, "there are Xamount of monsters left"

This would be a nice feature, or perhaps remove the cooldown on dis/tele rings at log in time? This way you can least survive (maybe)

Actually, I suggested that to Labrat the other day (not knowing he thought about it before). He said he submitted a patch on it already :)

As a side note to this discussion, when determining what *noob* levels of monsters (and players) are, please note:

Radu posted in the last two invasions that lower level monsters were invading in WS, players with a/d under 50 were ok. I've played nearly three years and I fit in that category(or I did until making att 50 today.) Truly new players who we need to be concerned about will die to leprechauns if there are enough of them.

And leaving *some* maps uninvaded is great, but could they be the same maps? ALWAYS. So that new players can be told they are safe on certain maps all the time? Saying "generally safe" really isn't good enough. Nor is saying "read the blue spam" to brand new players who are just finding their feet and have no idea what blue spam is or where the maps are you mention anyway.

I've also toyed with the idea of suggesting an option (default ON) that new players are immune from invasions/death/loss of items until they have been in the game for XX # of hours. This option would be turned off automatically when a certain a/d level is reached, or could be turned off for alts. It's got some problems and would be subject to abuse, but I just think we are not doing enough to keep new players here. The current level 15 for dying and not losing items seems too low.

Also, I now announce 1-2 maps that will be safe from the invasion before I run one of mine.
What about taking a lesson from MrHide and the PK server and inverting that? Announce the 6-10 maps that will be invaded, and let all the rest be ignored for people who just want to play. Invasion could also tend to have the harder creatures on C2 and the easier ones on C1 to further differentiate things.

As a long time player I have to sympathize and agree whole heartedly with what Gerrick says.

Don't get me wrong, I love this game, but I hate invasions. Absolutely and unequivocably. I go to beam and heal people to have something to do, or make ess or hide out somewhere and chat. I don't think I'm the only one who feels like this.

My opinion is probably worth little, but i think we need to have some hard and fast safe places. I know you'll say, "Go to IP and quit whining." If invasions lasted an hour, I would be satisfied with that. But they don't. They last hours and hours. When you have plans, are looking forward to a relaxing time leveling in whatever skill and chatting with friends, then log on and *another* invasion is going on, it's very tempting to just log off and watch a dvd.

MY 2cents. Flame away.

I 100% agree. I can't protect myself in Invasions so I end up playing on the pk server and then I go sit at sto most of the time or at beam on main server, or mabye completely log. Ive tried to have fun in the noob part of the invasion then some monster stronger them me spawns, I lose the HE, SRs, possibly some cheap armor and a cheap wep and the fun is over.

Mabye there are things I could do while there is a invasion going?

I could mix some stuff, but wait, I didn't have ings ready and if I went to go get some there is a high chance of me dieing.

I could sit at beam, but then again that isn't all that fun.

I could participate but Id get killed by the stronger monsters.

Considering my choices why don't I log off?

Im not saying the invasions should stop, mabye Im just annoyed with the amount we have had lately.