Eternal Lands Official Forums
mathtutor

What makes Eternal Lands unique?

I really don't know... but I can't stop playing.

I think the fact that is 100% free, and there is no premium stuff you have to pay for and so. I would really like to contribute with real $ to the creators, but I really, really can't at the moment (for several reasons :) )... I hope I'll probably will be able to some day...

Also the fact that I don't have to stick to some fixed class is important. If I get bored from one skill I just can develop other one.

And the community is also great, I've meet nice people in game.

And the greed for XP!!! that is the best thing.... I always set up a project bigger than the last one. More levels, more levels!!! :whistle:

To all the developers, great work and a million thanks... I think you have made an amazing game B)

in addition to what has already been said, i'd like to add that the one thing that caught me first, was the interface.

The balance of the good keyboard and mouse usage possibilites and the easy chat interface is unique (at least amongst the MMOs i tested so far).

The thing that caught my attention the first time I saw EL was probably the graphics. I admit, they're not the greatest, but that's exactly the point. Other popular games use lots of special effects, while EL doesn't, thus making it possible to run the game on older computers (unless you're Mango and and you're running three clients at the same time :pinch: ).

+ all other things mentioned before :D

The fact that I can run it on my piece of junk called a computer, and Im on dial up so I liked how it is like 35mb.

Oh and the game is nice to :)

I like this game because:

As with everyone else has said the community is really good. Any other mmorpg has immature kids and they just want to beat everyone shitless, EL has a good community with mature players who actually work together.

Not just that but the game is so different to any other, it is a very well thought out game,with 1000's of items, heaps of enjoyable skills and the fact that there is always something to do.

overall EL is a great UNIQUE game and i find it very enjoyable (alot of games consist of hours of grinding, so not very fun)

What keeps me here... ? :P

I came across this game about 2.5/3yr ago as i was looking for some free games to install for a cousin i build a pc for... I checked it out and started playing, not knowing anything about this type of games. It was the first and only i ever played.

after a week or 2 i was going to harvest quartz or coal i dunno anymore but i got hit by a cavern wall :) and died instantly, some strange coloured msg on my screen with my name, come to the beam i have your stuff, it was 1 pickaxe and my leather top. This was just such an experience, and that behavior i have encountered so often after that.

So first of all the community simply rocks :)

The game... well i cant compare but i simply like it, atm i even have several chars and all build in a different way and still ain't stuck with either of them to the skill they are trained in :) every way you build a char it can be usefull to the community or just to have fun with (Where is Lenny Hiding :) )

the developers.... as been said before, they listen, bitch at you as if they are real ppl. the same way you bitch at them, and then again listen to you once you can explain why your idea is simply good.

but then again, there aint a particular reason i get stucked, there are simply too many i think

I saw a game that was available for play for Free and runs on Linux and even reminded me of a game that I used to play once before and its name was Eternal Lands. Now, I try to enlighten a few newbs here and there and help some folk out. The economy seemed ok back then too.

By the way, if anyone wonders about this thread necro, Aislinn locked a thread by Dugur and linked to this saying his thread one. His thread was a repeat of this one.

Edited by nathanstenzel

Probably because you're never told what to do. Be a mage, a warrior, kill 1k rats or you'll be stuck kind of thing.

and gnomes ofc \o/

Ahem, yeh, a repeat.

Tho I am interested in looking into the first weeks of the gameplay that are critical in the decision to continue playing. The first weeks. The beginning :P

We need newbs to stay in game :S

Well, lately I spend some time in IP and help newbies, because it seems that few are willing to do that. So unless you do it, I have to, which means fewer updates.

Well, lately I spend some time in IP and help newbies, because it seems that few are willing to do that. So unless you do it, I have to, which means fewer updates.

It might even help the game, if those, who are on IP won't talk too much bullshit to the newbies, but help them instead.

Things like "STFU", "This game sux", "go and find a guy named Radu and ask him for free stuff" is not really helpful.

Its the decision of the community, of course, if we want more players in game or not.

But if someone, who is new to this game, hears only noob talk and no one is really willing to help them, they might *NOT* play and just leave and one day the few remaining players will all sit around the camp fire and call eachothers noobZ.

Or talk about the ancient times, when we really had 100 players in game for the first time.

That reminds me, that Tumaros still owes me a beer from the 100 players in game party....

Piper

"go and find a guy named Radu and ask him for free stuff"

ROFL, people actually tell newbies that? :P

Well tbh. I've tried helping newbie's but its frustrating, either they won't talk back, ask for free stuff or are afraid you are trying to scam them I don't know but it made me decide not to spent too much time anymore on IP. It should be fun to help newbie's but I've given up, sry.

It might even help the game, if those, who are on IP won't talk too much bullshit to the newbies, but help them instead.

Things like "STFU", "This game sux", "go and find a guy named Radu and ask him for free stuff" is not really helpful.

Its the decision of the community, of course, if we want more players in game or not.

But if someone, who is new to this game, hears only noob talk and no one is really willing to help them, they might *NOT* play and just leave and one day the few remaining players will all sit around the camp fire and call eachothers noobZ.

Or talk about the ancient times, when we really had 100 players in game for the first time.

That reminds me, that Tumaros still owes me a beer from the 100 players in game party....

Piper

Is this something people should be reported (#abuse) for doing?

I try to help newbies out and spend some time in IP. I have never seen this type of behavior myself, or I'd report it...

I have to agree, if someone doesn't have nice things to say, or nice ways to try and help newbies, they should probably find some place else to hang out ;)

Well tbh. I've tried helping newbie's but its frustrating, either they won't talk back, ask for free stuff or are afraid you are trying to scam them I don't know but it made me decide not to spent too much time anymore on IP. It should be fun to help newbie's but I've given up, sry.

And it's hard to find a newcomer that isn't an alt :S

Most of what I like about the game and community has been said in previous threads, but one aspect of the game that I really enjoy is the ablility to set very long term goals. It can get a little boring at times, but I can simply stop the grind, go help others, develop new skills, or try and stay up to date with the many new things added from time to time.

Great job radu, roja and to the rest of the team behind the game. ;)

Some newbies are like that, but some are quite smart and willing to be helped.

Ok. I will see what I can do. I usually get them in DP CC. I can go to IP a few times though. :)