Eternal Lands Official Forums
mathtutor

What makes Eternal Lands unique?

This evening I just got to thinking about what really keeps me drawn to Eternal Lands. Once I sat down and thought about Eternal Lands is unlike any other game that I have played or tried. One of the major things that keeps me in Eternal Lands is how if you get bored with one skill there is always 10 more skills that you can go and work on. So I thought I would ask the community what keeps you drawn and attached to Eternal Lands?

To Radu, Roja, all Developers, and Moderators - You have done a wonderful job making a wonderful game and making is so that people don't get to bored and I thank you for all the hard work and time that you have put into the game.

Zamolxes

Edited by mathtutor

Well actually i stopped playing but what always brings me back at least to say hi is the awesome community

this game has. Besides that, EL is just unique the way it is. There isnt anything for me that i could count up

here exactly. Looking how the Game grows and the new stuff that always gets added and we get surprised

with is whats pretty addicting to me i think.

Just because there is so much potential and you never know whats gonna come next ^^

I'd have to agree with Scorpius, I dont play near as often as I used to. But when I do, I am always greeted by fellow guildies and friends, and its always fun to meet new people in the game.

Competitive player-vs-player combat in EL is unique and probably what i like most about it.

It's not pure strategy, pure tactics or pure reaction... elements of all 3 come into play.

Strategy:

Considered and researched attribute builds offer combat strength, and smart training methods affect how quickly your strength can increase.

Tactics:

Mid-combat analyzing of ones opponent and switching medallions and weapons appropriately offers combat strength.

Reaction:

Being a second late restoring or re-casting MI can mean certain death, and being ultra quick to MD and Harm opponents (or their summons, in the case of MD) can sway the outcome of a fight.

It's a fantastic combination, and although i do really enjoy the company of some ppls who play EL, realistically i would have quit a long time ago if it wasn't for the unique PvP combat system.

...it's like a TBS, RTS and FPS all kinda rolled into one... and then to top it off; it has the on-going character development of an RPG \o/

For me, the single biggest downfall, and what still makes quitting cross my mind fairly regularly, is the overpowered combat equipment. Some of the equipment in question can make you lose a fight against equivalent or weaker opponents no matter how good your strategy, tactics or reaction time are... no single element should offer such drastic combat strength, imo.

Edited by Korrode

Well, three years here, under a few names, but still here. I tried to quit playing almost as many times as Handyman o/

What keeps bringing me back, is, simply put, this is a game that can not be won. Only played. Others play golf. But I play this. I can afk harvest my heart out while at work, I can challange myself to earn another nexus, or I can dream of the day I have read as many books as moebird.

I can also go out and give a good pawning to those that think they are to cool for school

I can also miss-judge matters and end up in the underworld thinking "how the heck did I get here"

I can also sit for hours and dream of making an EFE, then all of a sudden make 3 in 2 hours

Always something to surprise you in this game. Three years and I haven't even seen every map yet!!

Competitive player-vs-player combat in EL is unique and probably what i like most about it.

It's not pure strategy, pure tactics or pure reaction... elements of all 3 come into play.

Did someone hack your forum account or something? :)

Did someone hack your forum account or something? :)

^^

Did someone hack your forum account or something? :P

Ent i wouldn't have tried so much over the years to get the things i believe to be problematic changed if i didn't think the game was in most ways awesome enough to warrant my time to make the suggestions. :)

Hows about them Tirnym chim spawn location changes, eh? :)

I've wondered about this myself pretty often, and there are several things that keep me here.

You're never done, there are always new things to learn, other levels to get, new places to find (although those are becoming rare by now).

Even when I simply can't be bothered to do anything, I can train my other skills: idling and chatting. It's amazingly easy to just sit at storage for a good while, or wander around for hours, not gaining any experience, just... being there :). I've had some very entertaining, interesting talks with random strangers over the past months.

By far the biggest reason that has made me not quit a few times in the past year though, is the people I met in this game. I know it's all virtual, and you may call me sentimental, but for me my guildies, and other ingame buddies aren't just pixels. Because their pixels make me laugh out loud several times a day (to the extent where my neighbours sometimes ask me how i could have been having so much fun when I didn't have any visitors -.-). They make me wanna care for them, look after them, wish them only good things. So regardless of the fact that I will most likely never meet them, or even hear their voices, those people are part of my life. They aren't a substitute for any RL situation, I have a very healthy social life, but they sure make a nice addition to it. I am aware that there will come a time to move on, which is good, and perfectly ok. But for now I think I'll stick around for just a bit longer :)

Community that isn't revolved around asking for free stuff and ingame marriages ftw.

I agree with Korrode's post too the last bit especially. :)

Will you marry me and shower me with free stuff? it's OK - you can be the woman I know you have issues :)

Dunno, I don't know if it'd be right to say what keeps me here is the actual game. While at times I suddenly feel the urge to do at least 12 hours of a/d training per day and just go do that, or suddenly feel to mix something, etc. I just as much get bored with the game every other while, especially now when I'm growing closer to 5 years here.

I break at more regular intervals, usually dropping by to talk and I guess since last time, the thing that brought me back was a bunch of people whining my ears of to come back. :) As surprising as that may sound to some, I guess there are just some people who can't bring themself to drop people no matter how evil they get sometimes, lol.

So it's really a bit of a mood mix about what I feel like doing and the community. There's some nice people but I also need to be in a mood to play EL, which I didn't have for a few months now, but Hermit kinda pulled me back. :)

And yea, it's different from other games here, a lot of other games are just basic hack'n'slash or just completely revolve around combat, which is different but still fun, because they often do advance their combat systems more to keep it more fun.

But here you get the chance to do just different stuff all the time if you want, that's pretty cool I guess.

-Gohan

EDIT:

P.S.: WTB wife and wish to receive gifts, pm me ingame pl0x. :P

Edited by Gohan

Why do people play these kind of games in particular El rather than other morpg's

I came to EL when I had loads of spare time in my life. I got addicted from the beginning spent my first month at votd store buying up players unwanted items and selling them on. (Upset a few Mods for spamming market channel. Only about 5 Bots online back then ) Then got into bar making when tit armour first came on the scene supplying deadhead, pilgrim, lochnesslobster,

Made some good gc back in them days and also loads of good friends. I ended up just spending most of my time sat in KF talking rather than playing the game telling jokes, sending each other funny links

The big word here is community.

For some this game is their life. You may say that's sad but not everyone is into night clubbing, or can enjoy what some would call a normal life, Some would rather stay at home talking to friends around the world And Some even meet up in RL

We have seen many people come and go. Some who have passed away in RL and chose to spend their final days on EL with their friends

The Game

I was not here from the beginning but have seen many changes throughout the years.

The game is always changing, new items, new goals, other players you want to better. They only thing the game lacked was its amount of quest but I guess it can't have everything.

The game never ends it is just like another life for some.

It's Free

This means children and players on low wages can also play. No monthly subscription so parents love it lol.

All my kids played this game in the past (did have a few upsets with the amount of chars on the same IP at the beginning but that was sorted out)

Admin and Mod,s

Some complain about them at times, and I have had run ins with them just like other players but Some Mods have put years of dedication in to this game and it's their hard work and the Admin department is what has made all this possible

Sorry about the Story but I left Main over 2 years ago and came back to EL 1 year ago to get the new PK server off the ground and because of RL commitments it's now time for me to move on again.

Just wanted to add a few words before I did, and to remind everyone of all those who know longer play or that have passed away

Remember: It's just a game but the friends you make are for real

Handyman

I have often been wondering why I still play EL, I honestly can't find anything truly unique about the game itself, but it has the elements I like in a MMORPG so I won't complain about that, some elements are better in EL than in other MMORPG's I have tried some are worse.

So what is it? My conclusion is that it's the community, my guild in particular. Had I not been recruited at the start of my EL carer I would most likely have quit.

Oh, I do like most parts of the game, in particular, the classless system where I can change track and train another skill any time I want, and the fact that I don't have to be a fighter.

Because this game is so hardcore :medieval:

A bunch of stats. A pk system when everyone fights everyone.

It's like real life :P

Edited by Sir_Exeus

Why do people play these kind of games in particular El rather than other morpg's

I came to EL when I had loads of spare time in my life. I got addicted from the beginning spent my first month at votd store buying up players unwanted items and selling them on. (Upset a few Mods for spamming market channel. Only about 5 Bots online back then ) Then got into bar making when tit armour first came on the scene supplying deadhead, pilgrim, lochnesslobster,

Made some good gc back in them days and also loads of good friends. I ended up just spending most of my time sat in KF talking rather than playing the game telling jokes, sending each other funny links

The big word here is community.

For some this game is their life. You may say that's sad but not everyone is into night clubbing, or can enjoy what some would call a normal life, Some would rather stay at home talking to friends around the world And Some even meet up in RL

We have seen many people come and go. Some who have passed away in RL and chose to spend their final days on EL with their friends

The Game

I was not here from the beginning but have seen many changes throughout the years.

The game is always changing, new items, new goals, other players you want to better. They only thing the game lacked was its amount of quest but I guess it can't have everything.

The game never ends it is just like another life for some.

It's Free

This means children and players on low wages can also play. No monthly subscription so parents love it lol.

All my kids played this game in the past (did have a few upsets with the amount of chars on the same IP at the beginning but that was sorted out)

Admin and Mod,s

Some complain about them at times, and I have had run ins with them just like other players but Some Mods have put years of dedication in to this game and it's their hard work and the Admin department is what has made all this possible

Sorry about the Story but I left Main over 2 years ago and came back to EL 1 year ago to get the new PK server off the ground and because of RL commitments it's now time for me to move on again.

Just wanted to add a few words before I did, and to remind everyone of all those who know longer play or that have passed away

Remember: It's just a game but the friends you make are for real

Handyman

Whoa!!! I knew tiruncollimdus was back at least in the forums, but I did not realize he had trained a young padawan.

I like the game for all the variables.

IMO EL is open, it has no goal to reach. Just do what you want.

Well, except special days, random invasions and so on, but besides that, you are free to do what you want.

Thats IMO the big advantage of EL, the freedom to choose what you do.

Fight, chat, harvest, alch, write bots, play with them, have fun with the ants, suggest stuff, enjoy the game or forums, all up to you, what you like.

:)

Piper

The community is definitely great! ^^

I find that I'm not playing as much as I did at first, but I always come back to say hey to a few old friends, and to check what's going on..

I find leveling to be pretty boring... but that's just me! :) I'm sure there are many people who like EL's system. The game is great, and well designed.. But everyone's preferences differ. :)

I can't really decipher what it is about EL that really gets me, though... *shrug*

There are as many ways to play this game as there are people playing it. More actually, if we consider multiple characters.

So many mmorpgs out there are either far too quest or too combat focused. Both are too limiting for me. A trained monkey could wander around and finish a bunch of tasks to get the banana. I'll make my own to-do list, thank you very much. And maybe when I'm done, I want an apple! You can keep your stinking banana.

Of course, it helps that once I get my apple, my orange, and the rest of the fruit bowl that Ent introduces vegetables. It's a complete meal, replete with dessert. I may be taking this metaphor too far, but the people who are joining me at the table are the best.

You can't start a thread like this without every other person mentioning the community. How many of us read Korrode's post and had the same reaction Ent did? You don't have to play the game for very long to stop seeing players as characters or pixels and start seeing them as people.

I am much closer to many players in this game than I am with the people I see at work every day. Yes, I realize that if I didn't move around every six months that I would know them better, but I've never found a place in RL that feels as much like home as EL.

Edit: I wish I could keep a stable internet connection! I only get one more week before Handy leaves, and I'm missing it!

Edited by sywren

One thing that I think is unique is that EL is such a great game/world/fiction/product/whatever it is that it stays real and interesting even when you don't do it anymore.

I haven't played in almost a year due to a combination of computer issues and RL issues/projects, but I'm still working on and totally involved with that story for Roja. I wasn't even on the forums, but I have still been "in" Draia. I'm guessing that's a game that draws its fans in, huh?

Maybe this year -- maybe -- I'll finally get back into the "real" game. I really want to because it is a both a fun fantasy world to be in and a wonderful community to be in it with. Credit to the dev team that they made some magic here.

1 reason is that the game has me!

another reason is that there is no combat triangle

another is that there are orchans and the dragon-human thing

Guest Trojan_Knight

Sure I'll agree with there are a few people I get along with and enjoy chatting with.. But I don't think thats entirely the reason why I play (no offense to anyone). I think the main reason why I play. Is because there is no requirement to do exactly this or that when you play. In other games, they require you to quest to level, or to group up together to level, and to grind grind grind.. Other games there are a ton of hax0rZ. Which in EL isn't a issue. Still some other games do have some other unique aspects about them. I like my idea of "choice" to be able to do this or that today based on what I "choose" to do. Sure, we have special days, that may limit some of the things that day I want to do. But its not everyday, every moment on the game being the exact same bs.

On EL I can choose to grind, or choose to sit around lookn pRetty if I want. Having a choice is freedom. And the more freedom I have, the happier I am. :)

EL is unique and the definitely the game I've played for the longest time...and the reasons are many!

One thing is that there's always goals to reach. There's a lot of different things to do and there's almost no limits to the skills. The game can be played actively or passively, alone or with others. You can harvest while doing something else and mix or fight when you're active in the game. It can even be used just for chatting B) . On the side there's a lot of things to explore in an amazing world, many secrets to find.

The reason that I keep hanging around is because of these possibilities as well as the dream of getting far in the game. And on the way I always make small projects and small goals, which can be achieved in maybe a day, a week or a month. And always with the end goal of being the best at everything :)

Another reason is that the game is so dynamic. Some things depends on skill, others on luck, patience or other factors. On the other hand the world always changes as new game updates come out. The EL world and community has a history and it's always changing...moving. The game developers tell openly about their ideas and are open to input from players. This is very rare as well.

And another great factor of course is that the game is free ^^. And playable on so many platforms.

Great gratitude towards the developers for their hard work and for putting up with the frustration and the challenges, which a project of this size inevitably brings forth :pickaxe:

Zilvador!

I agree with Dilly. I have a busy RL and find EL gives me a real nice break from that. Probably a combination of things that keep me coming back: my goals have not been met, a great community including many friends, a lot of things I have yet to try, the combat system, and time invested already. I also enjoy the access to game designers, and the ability to offer intelligent feedback ( and other types of feedback :brooding: ). In all, a friend introduced me to this game over 3 years ago, and I keep coming back. I guess that says it all.

Been on EL many years, mostly inactive, under multiple nicknames. Three things do it for me:

1) Mature, English speaking community.

In other MMORPGs, 2 of 3 people can't (properly) speak English.

And it's mostly kids who want to pwn j00. Not in EL. You get mostly

working adults and/or mature teenagers who are starting to under-

stand the real world.

2) You can become a producer.

In all other games I've played, everyone is a damn CONSUMER.

That drives me nuts. I want to produce and sell things, not just

take up spawns and make other wish I had never been born cuz

I'm taking their spawns.

3) Real people as developers.

Take Lineage 2 for example. A great game, really. I actually have

been subscribed to the official server for a certain time. Kicks EL's

ass in a lot of things. BUT IT'S JUST A DAMN COMPANY. radu/Roja/

LabRat/etc/ are REAL PEOPLE who will actually read and consider

intelligent suggestions. A company of 1000 people won't.