Eternal Lands Official Forums
Fedora

Macintosh OS X client 1.8.0 bugs thread

There is a bug in the PPC client related to MAP_SET_OBJECTS and MAP_STATE_OBJECTS packets, a missing Swap. These packets are used to chenge the map object state and afaik are used for quests only atm. Indeed Halosmee reported the bug to me during a quest.

Here are the missing Swaps, but I can't test the code anymore, I'm on linux now.

Index: 2d_objects.c
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvsroot/elc/elc/2d_objects.c,v
retrieving revision 1.98
diff -a -u -r1.98 2d_objects.c
--- 2d_objects.c	26 Dec 2008 18:54:29 -0000	1.98
+++ 2d_objects.c	30 Sep 2009 19:06:58 -0000
@@ -722,8 +722,9 @@
		int idx = 0;

while(len >= sizeof(*id_ptr)){
-			Uint32	obj_id= id_ptr[idx];
-		
+
+			Uint32 obj_id = SDL_SwapLE32(id_ptr[idx]);
+
			if(obj_id < MAX_OBJ_2D && obj_2d_list[obj_id]){
				obj_2d_list[obj_id]->display= display;
				idx++;
Index: 3d_objects.c
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvsroot/elc/elc/3d_objects.c,v
retrieving revision 1.185
diff -a -u -r1.185 3d_objects.c
--- 3d_objects.c	26 Apr 2009 00:44:22 -0000	1.185
+++ 3d_objects.c	30 Sep 2009 19:06:59 -0000
@@ -920,8 +920,8 @@

while (len >= sizeof (*id_ptr))
		{
-			Uint32 obj_id = id_ptr[idx];
-		
+			Uint32 obj_id = SDL_SwapLE32(id_ptr[idx]);
+
			if (obj_id <= highest_obj_3d && objects_list[obj_id])
			{
				objects_list[obj_id]->display = display;

There is a bug in the PPC client related to MAP_SET_OBJECTS and MAP_STATE_OBJECTS packets, a missing Swap. These packets are used to chenge the map object state and afaik are used for quests only atm. Indeed Halosmee reported the bug to me during a quest.

Here are the missing Swaps, but I can't test the code anymore, I'm on linux now.

Yeah, I found those swaps too. I could not get a solution. I will make a build with your fix and have folks test it out.

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, but I did a universal CVS build of the mac client today and noticed a kind of major bug. Basically, bags do not appear. If you create a bag, the bag window will show but no bag graphic will appear onscreen and if you close that window, you will not have access to what you put in the bag.

Also, I did a build on October 5th, and this bug was not present then.

Just letting you all know...

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, but I did a universal CVS build of the mac client today and noticed a kind of major bug. Basically, bags do not appear. If you create a bag, the bag window will show but no bag graphic will appear onscreen and if you close that window, you will not have access to what you put in the bag.

Post this over in the Current CVS errors thread please.

Hi,

i found it and it IS a mac-problem: there is a new FEATURE-entry in the make.default file which is needed for the current client and is missing in the mac-projectfile: 'OLD_MISC_OBJ_DIR'

Add this to the project and the bags work fine again... :=))

Hi,

i found it and it IS a mac-problem: there is a new FEATURE-entry in the make.default file which is needed for the current client and is missing in the mac-projectfile: 'OLD_MISC_OBJ_DIR'

That's kind of my fault, added at the request of Roja. Thinking about it now, the logic is the wrong way round as the #def should enable new behaviour. No idea why I did it that way round. :blink:

On a related note, is it possible for none-mac users to create/update those mac-projectfiles?

That's kind of my fault, added at the request of Roja. Thinking about it now, the logic is the wrong way round as the #def should enable new behaviour. No idea why I did it that way round. :P

Yeah, I discovered all this two nights ago. I have a current build available on my website here.

On a related note, is it possible for none-mac users to create/update those mac-projectfiles?

I did update the project files. Unfortunately, Xcode does not read the make.default. The project file does have a text file (project.pbxproj) in which non-mac users could add the additional flag to GCC_PREPROCESSOR_DEFINITIONS. It gets tricky though since you have to watch out for the "target" (the one you want is Release). I suppose you could add new flags to all four of the GCC_PREPROCESSOR_DEFINITIONS sections.

problem with moving things from storage to inventory

hi!

today, for the very first time i experienced to following problem:

when i'm at a storage and have both windows opened i normally click to select something in one of the windows and click onto the other to move the selected amount of the chosen thing from one side to another. today i encountered some strange behaviour: beginning with the second or third different item (i.e. after having moved one or two things) by clicking to the destination window nothing happens.

when i keep on clicking, sometimes after about 20 clicks the item gets moved, most times not. closing and reopening the windows solves the problem (but is a dumb work).

the problem is reproduceable (even after logging out and in again) and not deterministic, i.e. i can't say when it will happen.

now you :icon13:

Interesting, but you forgot to give OS/hardware details. Granted, this extra info might not be relevant, but you never know.

When you type #sto from the console in EL, what does it say?

Almost sounds like a server sync/lag issue. So, for purposes of illustration, lets say you move 20 red roses, 20 red quartz, and then attempt to move 20 snap dragons but get this problem. If you move those same quantities back into inventory and attempt the whole process again, does it immediately happen?

i'm using 10.5.8 on a macbook pro "Intel Core 2 Duo/2.4 GHz" with 2gb ram and a "GeForce 8600M GT".

in my opinion this can't be relevant since i didn't change neither hardware nor software in over 3 years :)

the tests that you propose will have to be done. i did send a ping to the el web server because of not knowing the ip the client talks to (yeah i know i could have fetched it from lsof or netstat) and there was like 10% packet loss. given that and assuming that resent packets are excluded on server side due to earlier packets already been processed, the same thing should happen while walking for instance. but it was only the case for storage operations.

i will tell you more when i'm on the next time and experience the problem again. it has never occured before, not even since i downloaded the current client.

I've migrated from Win to Mac OS X several days ago and I had some problem with my recipes. Although counters, quest logs, etc do function well, i only had several of my recipes being reproduced (like 5 out of 40).

The problem isn't big by itself, but from time to time, when i open storage or when I simply search stuff through #sto i get some error about the items being in the wrong category.

[17:10:01] Format error reading item categories.

I don't know if there is a connection between the two or not. Anyone else experienced something similar?

Some other times, I'm unable to grab my ings through my recipe, clicking won't activate them. reopening storage dialogue and recipes do make everything work. I'm running EL in parallel on a Windows notebook and there everything works fine. No lag, no resync, etc.

Also Mac OS client crashes when trying to switch between resolutions. However it does function well after i restart the client (with the resolution i've chosen before crash)

My machine is:

• 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
  • 8GB (two 4GB) memory
  • 1TB hard drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M with 512MB

Edited by Mythos

Close the client, delete the category file item_categories.txt, then open the client again. Just visit each category in storage and the file will be re-created. If you continue to have problems, your item_lists.txt file may be corrupt. This is a text file so can be edited to fix up. Here's an example:

a tester
56 55 54 250 150 306 590 160 163 306 144 306 306 306 65 63 78 126
15 3 3 1 5 2 1 1 1 220 3 1 1 1 1 161 5 1
37 36 35 442 28 511 879 100 127 511 146 511 511 511 55 54 85 344

a tester 2
56 55 1 45 43 29 316 74 3 31 313 54 60 28 59 22
16 2 41 37 48 282 13 8 6 1 16 1 1 7 2 1
65535 65535 65535 65535 65535 65535 65535 65535 65535 65535 65535 65535 65535 65535 65535 419 

This shows the file version number, and two item lists. The blank lines are important.

Also Mac OS client crashes when trying to switch between resolutions. However it does function well after i restart the client (with the resolution i've chosen before crash)

Ty, the next Mac client will request a client-restart to change the resolution (like the Windows client does).

I've migrated from Win to Mac OS X several days ago and I had some problem with my recipes. Although counters, quest logs, etc do function well, i only had several of my recipes being reproduced (like 5 out of 40).

The problem isn't big by itself, but from time to time, when i open storage or when I simply search stuff through #sto i get some error about the items being in the wrong category.

[17:10:01] Format error reading item categories.

I don't know if there is a connection between the two or not. Anyone else experienced something similar?

Regarding items list and recipies. The Bug is in the client code that parses/writes those files.

The Mac and other *nix clients use \n only for linefeeds, while the windows client uses \r\n.

I have migrated between windows and mac a few times and have to use something like dos2unix to change the formatting before starting the client.

....The Bug is in the client code that parses/writes those files....

I'm not sure that's true. I wrote that code with a view to be in platform independent. I also just tried windows files on Linux and Linux files on windows and both worked just fine. How did you transfer the files? Did you edit the files on either platform?

Ok. I've tracked the bug's behavioural

I log in, i open storage from npc - i get this.

[13:23:51] Format error reading item categories.

[13:23:51] Note: storage categories need to be learnt by selecting each category.

I open up recipes, can't "take" anything from them

I click on the equivalent parent category in storage - food - then i can take PoF, cmeat and toad from recipe, can't get the other ings though.

Clicking on minerals, ores, flowers do allow me to take these types of ings out of recipes.

I'm not sure that's true. I wrote that code with a view to be in platform independent. I also just tried windows files on Linux and Linux files on windows and both worked just fine. How did you transfer the files? Did you edit the files on either platform?

Simply copy/pasted the local files from My doc/el folder to user/etc/app support/el folder

It has been automagically syncronized using dropbox. I have setup so that my el user data in in my dropbox and thus always in sync between my puters so that I don't loose counters.

If you have tried to make it plattform indepentet that might be the problem... I.e. if you use the platforms prefered linebreak.

plattform indepentet that might be the problem... I.e. if you use the platforms prefered linebreak.

I think you mis-understand what I mean, I didn't explain very well. Anyway, do other text files work OK, the quest titles file for example? That file is read and written in exactly the same way. Opinion varies on how to resolve such issues but using binary mode to read/write the text sounds like one approach. I can change the client to do that but it may break reading existing files. Can one/both of you send me a copy of the file that's broken for a non-windows client. For whatever reason, I can not reproduce the problem.