Eternal Lands Official Forums
Fedora

Macintosh OS X client 1.8.0 bugs thread

When I hit 'TAB' to open the map window or try to open the map with the map icon the client crashes...help please :)

*edit* it only crashes on a guild map, but didn't before

Can you send me the crash log via forum PM? It is found in:

/Users/your_user_name/Library/Logs/CrashReporter

Also, do you see any error messages in the error_log.txt file that seem relevant?

I have been having trouble with the game crashing when i use the manufacture screen.

It has mostly happened when doing alchemy, but i don't think it happens just then. sometimes it happens when the manufacture screen is just open, and you open other windows.

I'm Running on a Mac Book, BTW

This is a bug that has been plaguing MacBooks (that have integrated Intel graphics) since the 10.5.5 update and EL 1.7. I have looked into the problem a bit, and I don't think there is much we can do. It seems to be entirely related to an update in the graphics drivers that occurred at 10.5.5.

Florian and Fedora, care to weigh in on this?

Just wondering if there are any news on that one? It's bugging me too... But fortunately I still have an iBook for mixing :brooding:

I have been having trouble with the game crashing when i use the manufacture screen.

Just wondering if there are any news on that one? It's bugging me too... But fortunately I still have an iBook for mixing

Nope. Cross your fingers that 10.5.7 or 10.6 will fix it.

Heya. My wife bought me my Mac Mini. It is brand new. The sad part is, I load up EL and after a few seconds of gameplay, it crashes. Here are my computer stats. Please direct me on what I can do. If you want the MAC problem report. I can give you that too.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac mini

Model Identifier: Macmini3,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MM31.0081.B00

SMC Version: 1.35f0

Serial Number: YM9092KP19X

NVIDIA GeForce 9400:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0861

Revision ID: 0x00b1

ROM Revision: 3362

Displays:

Display Connector:

PRIMA 32LCD:

Resolution: 1360 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Connection Type: Analog VGA or Analog over DVI-I

As you can see. It is the newest Mac. I currently have the mini displaying on my LCD TV through a VGA cable. I am buying an HDMI to MacDisplayport cable here soon. :( Anyway. Any help/hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Brom

Heya. My wife bought me my Mac Mini. It is brand new. The sad part is, I load up EL and after a few seconds of gameplay, it crashes. Here are my computer stats. Please direct me on what I can do. If you want the MAC problem report. I can give you that too.

Looks like a nice little machine. Can you send me the crashlog via forum PM? Should be something like:

/Users/your_user_name/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/EternalLands_date_stamp_computer_name.crash

It has mostly happened when doing alchemy, but i don't think it happens just then. sometimes it happens when the manufacture screen is just open, and you open other windows.

I'm Running on a Mac Book, BTW

This is a bug that has been plaguing MacBooks (that have integrated Intel graphics) since the 10.5.5 update and EL 1.7. I have looked into the problem a bit, and I don't think there is much we can do. It seems to be entirely related to an update in the graphics drivers that occurred at 10.5.5.

Florian and Fedora, care to weigh in on this?

Just wondering if there are any news on that one? It's bugging me too... But fortunately I still have an iBook for mixing :)

I have been playing on a macbook for quite a while and I think I understand the problem now. The Intel integrated graphics openGL driver

has a bug that causes this crash when certain features are used at the same time. Most applications dont do this and thus there is no

problem, and this is probably also the reason why Apple and/or Intel havent provided a fix yet.

The EL client normally does not use the problematic features, except when drawing the rounded buttons like the ones that are on the

manufacture window, the spell window, the statistics-counters window etc. So as long as you dont have any of these windows open the

client works like a charm - open any of them and the client will crash sooner or later.

I had a look at the source code and it seems to be quite simple to make a quick-n-dirty patch by having the "rounded button" routine

do the normal square buttons instead, but I am currently unable to verify this as I do not have the development environment set up.

If someone with a devel environment would care to give this a whirl I would be happy to hear from you.

I have been playing on a macbook for quite a while and I think I understand the problem now. The Intel integrated graphics openGL driver has a bug that causes this crash when certain features are used at the same time. Most applications dont do this and thus there is no problem, and this is probably also the reason why Apple and/or Intel havent provided a fix yet.

The EL client normally does not use the problematic features, except when drawing the rounded buttons like the ones that are on the manufacture window, the spell window, the statistics-counters window etc. So as long as you dont have any of these windows open the client works like a charm - open any of them and the client will crash sooner or later.

I had a look at the source code and it seems to be quite simple to make a quick-n-dirty patch by having the "rounded button" routinedo the normal square buttons instead, but I am currently unable to verify this as I do not have the development environment set up.

If someone with a devel environment would care to give this a whirl I would be happy to hear from you.

If you send me the location in the code, I will take a look. This would make a lot of people happy.

Hardware Overview:

NVIDIA GeForce 9400:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0861

Revision ID: 0x00b1

ROM Revision: 3362

Displays:

For the benefit of others, here is the relevant part of your crash log:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Thread 0 Crashed:
0 com.apple.GeForce8xxxGLDriver 0x170e037c gldGetTextureLevel + 739724
1 com.apple.GeForce8xxxGLDriver 0x170e15c3 gldGetTextureLevel + 744403
2 GLEngine 0x16f023ae gleDrawArraysOrElements_VBO_Exec + 1950
3 libGL.dylib 0x93d14aa4 glDrawElements + 52
4 net.0ctane.EternalLands 0x0014a691 cal_render_actor_shader + 1101

It is hard to know if we should blame Nvidia or EL for this one right now. Are you in a specific location when it crashes? Are you near water? What do you have the "Water Shader" setting at?

If you send me the location in the code, I will take a look. This would make a lot of people happy.

I think all it would take would be to modify widgets.c around line 786 where:

// Button

const struct WIDGET_TYPE round_button_type = { NULL, button_draw, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, free_widget_info };

const struct WIDGET_TYPE square_button_type = { NULL, square_button_draw, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, free_widget_info };

should be changed to:

// Button

const struct WIDGET_TYPE round_button_type = { NULL, square_button_draw, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, free_widget_info };

const struct WIDGET_TYPE square_button_type = { NULL, square_button_draw, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, free_widget_info };

I have started looking into it. Might make a button option in the options dialog for it if this truly is the culprit. Stay tuned.

I have started looking into it. Might make a button option in the options dialog for it if this truly is the culprit. Stay tuned.

Okay, I have made a quick hack for the MacBook users.

Download only for MacBook users with integrated Intel Graphics

Download the above file and unzip it. Find your original EternalLands app, right-click on it, and select Show Package Contents.... Then, place the new EternalLands binary into the old Contents/MacOS folder.

If this works, then I will look into making a cleaner build (having rounded buttons as a working option). Initial testing (on wife's MacBook) is promising.

Download the above file and unzip it. Find your original EternalLands app, right-click on it, and select Show Package Contents.... Then, place the new EternalLands binary into the old Contents/MacOS folder.

If this works, then I will look into making a cleaner build (having rounded buttons as a working option). Initial testing (on wife's MacBook) is promising.

I tried this version for around 4 hours and so far have been unable to make it crash - except when having the statistics - counters window

open. But since this window still has rounded buttons this looks really good from my point of view.

So maybe a toggle that switches the draw_smooth_button between drawing square and rounded buttons would be a reasonable fix.

Thanks for working on this.

I tried this version for around 4 hours and so far have been unable to make it crash - except when having the statistics - counters window

open. But since this window still has rounded buttons this looks really good from my point of view.

So maybe a toggle that switches the draw_smooth_button between drawing square and rounded buttons would be a reasonable fix.

Thanks for working on this.

Yes, I was planning on putting a button in the HUD tab of the Options window to turn on/off rounded buttons. Actually, the button is there, but it does not do anything yet. ;) Stay tuned!

Yes, I was planning on putting a button in the HUD tab of the Options window to turn on/off rounded buttons. Actually, the button is there, but it does not do anything yet. :P Stay tuned!

This is pretty good detective work! About adding this disable option. The options window already contains a few similar bug related options. I was also thinking about an option to disable the code that is currently crashing Linux machines because of an Intel graphics driver bug. What do you think about having a new options tab, specifically for bug released workarounds?

Edited by bluap

Yes, I was planning on putting a button in the HUD tab of the Options window to turn on/off rounded buttons. Actually, the button is there, but it does not do anything yet. :) Stay tuned!
This is pretty good detective work! About adding this disable option. The options window already contains a few similar bug related options. I was also thinking about an option to disable the code that is currently crashing Linux machines because of an Intel graphics driver bug. What do you think about having a new options tab, specifically for bug released workarounds?

I was seconds from committing my changes. gottrech deserves a lot of credit for locating the problem. :P I thought it was related to the item counts being refreshed in the dialog. Anyhow, I have implemented a more general solution that should encompass all the rounded buttons.

I don't know about a new tab. That options window is getting pretty large. Might want to start a new thread on the topic to get broader input.

New test build available. Download only for MacBook users with integrated Intel Graphics

In the HUD options tab, there is a new box. Select it (Square buttons). If I get positive feedback, I will commit the code.

BTW, I have narrowed the problem down to draw_circle_ext if anyone wants to poke at it too.

Edited by 0ctane

Good work on the above issue Octane and gottrech. I do not have much more information for you. I run EL on and off of Poor Man, it crashes the same. Ill log onto Brom with my PC and move him to a different location, (As he is right next to VOTD storage, not the best testing spot to start with. Ill move him somewhere in WS with no water in sight. :)

What other advice do you have for me? If I need to download the code and compile it, I could. I have not worked with a Mac on development though. :)

UPDATE: I moved Brom to the DP tavern and the game runs well. I am about to leave and see what happens.

Update: I caught Octane online, As it ends up, It was the use animation program option that I had checked. I unchecked it and Viola! Problem solved. Beware. I now have a functioning machine that works well on EL MUAHAHAHA

Edited by Brom

I have been using the test build for around 15 hours now and have been unable to get it to crash unless I open the statistics window on the counters tab where there are still rounded buttons, so a definite thumbs up from here.

Should we keep it this way or implement a fix that handles the counters window as well ?

I have been using the test build for around 15 hours now and have been unable to get it to crash unless I open the statistics window on the counters tab where there are still rounded buttons, so a definite thumbs up from here.

Should we keep it this way or implement a fix that handles the counters window as well ?

I though I had fixed it. What is the date of the binary you are using? I uploaded one dated May 2 @ 10:40AM, and I can get all the buttons to be square.

I though I had fixed it. What is the date of the binary you are using? I uploaded one dated May 2 @ 10:40AM, and I can get all the buttons to be square.

Works just fine with the newest binary... Thanks a lot :)

My bad. Had the Apr 29 binary. May 2 binary is fanfabutastic! :D

can someone give me a map editor......i want one....i like making maps..but none on mac

can someone give me a map editor......i want one....i like making maps..but none on mac

Can someone give me a job?

The current map editor is built on foundations not available for the Mac (last I looked). Your best bet is to either run the windows version under VirtualBox or pay someone a bunch of money to make a Mac map editor. :D