Eternal Lands Official Forums
Zamorack

Map Making-New Skill

I was thinking that there should be a skill on Map Making. The first thought you probably have is new Maps, right? Well....WRONG! Map making would invole 2 new items, a quill and paper. You would make a map for areas and caves of your choice, but for all you skillers out there you are probably thinking, "How do I get experience?". Well, thats easy. Your XP would be based on your acuracy of the map, an excellent map would get you maybe at most 80 out of 100 possible XP. And you would be able to keep your map for the places for the do not have any maps. You could even sell your maps. Well ty for reading. Can't wait to hear your replies!

I was thinking that there should be a skill on Map Making. The first thought you probably have is new Maps, right? Well....WRONG! Map making would invole 2 new items, a quill and paper. You would make a map for areas and caves of your choice, but for all you skillers out there you are probably thinking, "How do I get experience?". Well, thats easy. Your XP would be based on your acuracy of the map, an excellent map would get you maybe at most 80 out of 100 possible XP. And you would be able to keep your map for the places for the do not have any maps. You could even sell your maps. Well ty for reading. Can't wait to hear your replies!

Ever heard of playermade map images? I, like many other players, possess a bitmap file for every possible map in EL, no need for this.

Ever heard of playermade map images? I, like many other players, possess a bitmap file for every possible map in EL, no need for this.

That is third party work. Some maps are still not in the compressed map packages that alot of people make. I understand how this may be viewed as not necessary, but such a thing could actually include various other details like automatically noticing and marking some useful items in the map. Imagine if you never had to wonder "now where the heck were those henbane flowers?" or anything like that. It could be interesting. It would require extra coding. Even if it is not done as a skill, an automap feature for EL would be very useful.

Imagine if you never had to wonder "now where the heck were those henbane flowers?" or anything like that. It could be interesting.

Well... try to go in the spot with the resource and type "#mark henbane" for example. Then look at the map... wow, it's a kind of magic!

Guest Trojan_Knight

I don't like this idea. And I'll state why.. First off, is because I'm to lazy to go play hide and seek events, let alone harvesting, or tryn to make a map ingame of where the hell I may be at that moment. Secondly, as stated briefly. I think, the way this game is played, and created. Theres no use for such a "skill".. Considering, we already have over view maps, and the ablity to mark on them. Now you may state "But some maps don't have a overview." Well I bet with a little bit of searching, you may be able to find some "custom" made maps that are player made that will work in the area's of where you don't have a overview map.

Now if this suggestion was "years" ago.. Back when this game was first starting out. I think if would have been suggested at that time (dont recall if was or not). Regardless at that point, I would have opinionated in the opposite direction. However, being this game has come so far, and other peoples time have been included in it to do so. At this point, i think this skill may be a "step backwards". No offense intended.

~~> me <~~ :hiya:

I don't like this idea. And I'll state why.. First off, is because I'm to lazy to go play hide and seek events, let alone harvesting, or tryn to make a map ingame of where the hell I may be at that moment.

C'mon... hundreds of people play this game...

What if you could make the maps to enter the instances?

Instead of just walking to an NPC you could develop a skill to create a "key" map to enter an instance or some small maps with harvestables but no storage or good training spots.

A kind of a ring, but instead of teleporting to an usual place it would be an unusual one :)

Guest Trojan_Knight
I don't like this idea. And I'll state why.. First off, is because I'm to lazy to go play hide and seek events, let alone harvesting, or tryn to make a map ingame of where the hell I may be at that moment.

C'mon... hundreds of people play this game...

What if you could make the maps to enter the instances?

Instead of just walking to an NPC you could develop a skill to create a "key" map to enter an instance or some small maps with harvestables but no storage or good training spots.

A kind of a ring, but instead of teleporting to an usual place it would be an unusual one :(

I don't think I'm catching your point either. And thats because I guess I've played to long to understand that theres only 1 way a map can be implimented into game. Same with bmp overviews. Because, nothing is really unusual, if you have access to those things. Like I said my above post.

Well I bet with a little bit of searching, you may be able to find some "custom" made maps that are player made that will work in the area's of where you don't have a overview map.

~~> me <~~ :)

I don't think I'm catching your point either. And thats because I guess I've played to long to understand that theres only 1 way a map can be implimented into game. Same with bmp overviews. Because, nothing is really unusual, if you have access to those things. Like I said my above post.

When I'm too limited about the way I "see" something I take a break, get some air, and get back at looking it trying to view other possible perspectives.

There is only 1 way to get maps implemented into the game but there are several ways of getting to them: map change (flags); rings; portal rooms; secrets; bugs; Radu... I might be unaware of others.

Creating game maps to wich you can only get to and back from with a specific item, "map items" made by a new skill, wouldn't be impossible. Just a new thing.

Maps with

no storages;

specific monsters;

sets of raw materials to harvest and mix on spot

whatever else could be imagined to be "hard" to get to

the only way to "find your way in/out" would be with "map items".

was this clear enough now?

Guest Trojan_Knight

So what your saying is. Your suggesting not to "make" maps. But rather a way to "create" a new portal in sense?

I'm guessing, but I think thats what ya tryn to tell me :confused:.. In either case, I'm not a coder, and I have no idea how difficult that would be to impliment. However, I would think it would be difficult, only because. Now instead of "portals" being set cords in a def file for example. Now with this suggestion, the programmers will have to find a code that allows a players made item to work in this theory. I'm not saying its impossible, because nothing is impossible. I'm not saying its a bad idea or a good one. However I do think it would be difficult. Only because with your suggestion. I'm "assuming", and I hate doing that cuz sometimes I end up like a ass. But the items would create a fixed portal location to each person's individual desires. Now that is different then a VOTD Ring for example that is used by all people on game, to transport you and everyone else to the identical same location. To be honest, i am unsure if at this point EL is capable of such a thing. I'm the wrong person to answer if its possible or not. :whistle:

~~> me :brooding:

But the items would create a fixed portal location to each person's individual desires.

Nope.

The maps would exist, doesn't matter how many as this is a suggestion based os someone else's suggestion, and everyone would see/travel to the same map. But to enter/exit you would need a "map item".

Now that is different then a VOTD Ring for example that is used by all people on game, to transport you and everyone else to the identical same location.

Nope.

Same thing, you would just be using a different item because those maps wouldn't be accessible by walking like any other ring using map. You can walk to all maps that have rings, these ones you couldn't, you would need a "map item".

At the moment you can use rings/portal rooms to get to the "main maps". This would be like having a "ring" to transport you to a "map cave". But one you can't enter just by walking.

Don't want to kill your topic, but there are like more than thousand people playing EL.

Almost ALL of these people will probably create theire own map...

You wouldn't see a fly anymore. PK will be dead, no1 sees you... And what about the histories of Seridia and irilion?

There will also be to much unfinnished maps... It will ruin everything.

Would be nice for another server, (A fan server) but still, i dont think it will be the real thing cause of lots of bugs, unfinnised maps etc.

Its not possible though. Because all of the maps are downloaded on your computer and they are in your "maps 3d objects, etc. So you would need to download all of these thousands of maps on your computer... And you might download lots and i mean LOTS of bugs.

Edited by -Hope-