Eternal Lands Official Forums
SlothCommander

Camera rotation.

I don't know if this is a bug or not but I do know it seems to result in camera control that is not always consistent on my computer. It seems that it is possible for the camera to go into cost mode (deceleration) while I'm still holding the middle mouse button down. This happens if my mouse stops moving all the sudden(while I'm dragging the camera) or if I lift my optical mouse up into the air a bit while I'm moving the mouse sideways which causes the mouse cursor to suddenly stop, resulting in a costing camera even though I'm still holding down the middle button.

It seems like the camera should not be allowed to cost while I'm "holding onto it" with the middle mouse button.

The inconsistencies are most noticeable if I decide to take a quick look to the side. If my mouse/cursor decelerates to a stop, than the camera stops moving when the mouse/cursor does which is expected. But sometimes if I bring the mouse to a stop too fast the camera will just go spinning out of control, although it usually doesn't.

It looks like the Client uses whatever cursor speed it last saw that was above zero to use as a starting point when it goes into deceleration mode. Jerking the camera to the side and stopping suddenly can apparently result in a "last non zero cursor speed" to be anything in between slow to really fast which seems to cause a random amount of camera costing.

If this isn't a bug, it would be nice to disable costing while the middle mouse button is still being held down.

Overall I'm not enjoying camera rotation in Version 1.8.0 Beta. I preferred the camera behavior from version 1.7. I've tried messing around with the settings. If I can't find something I like, I'm hoping I'll just get used to it and not notice that it's different.

AFAIK, there were no changes with the camera code in this client, but a lot of people reported this problem. I also had this problem on the test server (!) but not on the main server. Try to delete the el.ini from /my documents/eternal lands/main (but first make a backup). See if anything changes.