Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

New Linux binary

This was posted by Bluap in the other Linux client test, but I think it should have a thread of it's own to avoid confusion and stuff.

So please test it. What follows is Bluaps original post:

Here is another 32-bit static build to try. I have no reason to suspect it has more legs that the others but you never know! ;)

As normal, download, make executable and run it. You need to have the latest data files installed and your #data_dir set correctly.

# in a terminal
wget http://twinmoons.org.uk/el/el.x86.linux.bin.32.static
chmod +x el.x86.linux.bin.32.static
./el.x86.linux.bin.32.static

This was posted by Bluap in the other Linux client test, but I think it should have a thread of it's own to avoid confusion and stuff.

So please test it. What follows is Bluaps original post:

Here is another 32-bit static build to try. I have no reason to suspect it has more legs that the others but you never know! ;)

First impression:

THIS build, the blueap one above, runs AND allows shared audio so I can play MP3s while playing EL.

(I'm the guy with the problematic Opensuse11 box)

That's all I've noticed so far, but wanted to get this posted ASAP.

:P

I just downloaded and tried it - looks like my Slackware 12.0 doesn't have the right library levels:

./el.x86.linux.bin.32.static main
./el.x86.linux.bin.32.static: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by ./el.x86.linux.bin.32.static)
./el.x86.linux.bin.32.static: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by ./el.x86.linux.bin.32.static)

It's not that long since I upgraded my OS . . . guess I'll try to build my own binary.

This binary didn't work for me either. Same error on a Gentoo system.

I made another static binary if others have trouble. This one has libopenal updated since the last static binary I made for one of the RCs. I think that was the cause of the sound device hogging AngusMacDude reported.

http://www.reptileroom.net/elstuff/el.x86....1.8.0-static.gz

# in a terminal
wget http://www.reptileroom.net/elstuff/el.x86.linux.bin-1.8.0-static.gz
gunzip el.x86.linux.bin-1.8.0-static.gz
chmod +x el.x86.linux.bin-1.8.0-static
./el.x86.linux.bin-1.8.0-static

This one works nicely on Slacware 12.1 too, including the sound.

Not only is the sound in the game working, but I can listen to music with Amarok and get notifications from IRC/XChat too at the same time. Thank you. :)

I just downloaded and tried it - looks like my Slackware 12.0 doesn't have the right library levels:

./el.x86.linux.bin.32.static main
./el.x86.linux.bin.32.static: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found (required by ./el.x86.linux.bin.32.static)
./el.x86.linux.bin.32.static: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by ./el.x86.linux.bin.32.static)

It's not that long since I upgraded my OS . . . guess I'll try to build my own binary.

I think glibc 2.7 on slackware 12.0 is the problem.

You can't include glibc in you static builds (don't know why) and in the linux world version 2.3.6 or 2.7 (2.7 is backward compatible) is kinda standard atm.

Slackware 12.1 uses 2.7 and 12.0 uses 2.5 so the binary works for slackware 12.1 but not for 12.0

So you can either make additional builds for distros with other glibc or let them build their own binaries.

This binary didn't work for me either. Same error on a Gentoo system.

I made another static binary if others have trouble. This one has libopenal updated since the last static binary I made for one of the RCs. I think that was the cause of the sound device hogging AngusMacDude reported.

http://www.reptileroom.net/elstuff/el.x86....1.8.0-static.gz

Wanted to report that Quesar's new build runs fine for me and does indeed allow shared access to audio system.

Edited by AngusMacDude

Two points:

1) The el.x86.linux.bin.32.static I produced was not meant to replace the version installed by the Debian/Ubuntu packages. It was only for the non-package download that can be used on any distro. If you do not want to make your own, IMHO the package version of the game is the easiest to install and maintain and most likely to work on Ubuntu (gutsy/hardy/intrepid 32/64) and Debian (lenny 32) systems.

2) I just tried Quesar's latest (this morning at 05:59 AM) build el.x86.linux.bin-1.8.0-static. This works fine on my Debian and Ubuntu systems (after installing libpng3 as we know) sound works and is shared correctly too. From the rest of this thread, this one works for the Gentoo and Slackware folks too. I've tried a SUSE 11 live cd too and that works fine (libpng3 needed again).

I know several people have produced these static builds, they take a lot of work and time! I know us Linux users all appreciate the work these people have made trying to get a single working version. However, this is all getting a bit confusing and we're delaying the release so we need to come to a conclusion.

So. Do we have a winner with Quesar's build? We will just have to include the information to install libpng3.

So. Do we have a winner with Quesar's build? We will just have to include the information to install libpng3.

I just tried Quesar's latest (as linked above): it runs fine, even concurrently with bluap's build, and it allows shared audio, so far it seems we have a winner :)

Rehdon

Quesar's build works for me too - thanks. Slackware 12.0.

Quesar's build works fine on my Ubuntu 8.04 system too, and considering it's success on other distros, i'd say it's the winner.

Generally tho, i'll ofc use the binary from bluap's hardy .deb's :devlish:

Anyone have an x86-64 binary that doesn't hog sound?

This one seemed to work as well as the i586 from the other thread here.

(Didn't check the sound problem, not something I normally use anyway.)

Thanks Quesar the 64 bit is now got good sound and shares. (listening to Miles Davis while playing)

running Suse 10.2 64bit

The official binaries sound was flaky sometimes sounding like a busted speaker. Also would not share

Now if we can get the pain sounds turned back on I'll be a happy camper.

Thanks to all that have worked so hard on some excellent stable software. Kudos

:)

Puntif, did the other binary work for you?

if you mean the el.x86.1-8.linux.bin one from the other thread - yes that one seems to work for me too.

btw I have no sound card on this computer so I can't report on any sound issues.

Edited by Puntif