Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

RC3

RC3 Mac OS X build available here.

Game seems a bit less responsive.

Built on a MacBook Pro, OS X 10.5.5.

By less responsive do you mean slower?

We have some updated textures that are bigger, so that might slow down some low end video cards.

Definitely not a video card issue. Radeon 1600 and Nvidia 9400M.

There is just a delay between clicks and actions. Ping seemed fine.

Thanks for that - seems to work great so far.

Edit - it crashes sometimes when i mix, happened at srm sto and evtr sto.

With the full release we will have another Mac-specific thread for bugs. Anyhow, I have to assume that you are on a Mac that uses Intel integrated graphics. This is a known bug with the Intel graphics drivers as of OS X 10.5.5.

i still experience the client crashes. RC2 and 3, with my Geforce 9600 GT. i have tried all drivers and even the current ones released on December 12, 2008 (also tried all previous video card drivers)

Seems to be ok for a while, then its like the screen flashes, like lightning, but it is a quick vertical scroll of white, then when the picture is back, it just completely locks up the client. happens in glacmor,melinis and EP that i know of. i havent had it lock up in irsis or zirankinbar. it seems that once it does it, it just keeps happening, i checked all my log files, and havent found anything.

It doesnt seem that fighting causes the lock up, but just character movement, it causes my Video card driver to crash on my PC, locking up EL, and i have to ctrl+alt+del and log back in quickly before i die training.

this might be unrelated to the EL client and more of a problem with the video card drivers from the manufacturer, but is there any other log files in EL, where i can check to see if there is something that might help this issue?? is it possible that a character annimation is casuing it?

this might be unrelated to the EL client and more of a problem with the video card drivers from the manufacturer, but is there any other log files in EL, where i can check to see if there is something that might help this issue?? is it possible that a character annimation is casuing it?

On Linux, it would be ~/.elc/error_log.txt.

On Windows, it would be the error_log.txt file that is in some EL folder in either your documents folder or your main personal folder (which holds the documents folder). I hope that helps. I don't do Windows very often.

Thing is i only have 3 drivers to choose from and also talked to a few people with the same series of cards and they also have the same issues.

i have 4 aux fans running in my pc, video card fan is good and is running at 42C and same with CPU 42C. heat isnt an issue. i have multiple programs open, and only EL crashes ( i tried to open other programs to see if everything crashed, and only EL does). it is very weird.... i will check the log tonight when i get home from work and post the results.

Windows vista under manager and checking system logs, EL.exe generates a program failure code, under application logs...

it is very weird... i really think it is driver related.

as for capping the FPS i tried that too, and it had no effect. usually running 300-600fps, tried capping at 100 and still crashed.... usually i train on my big PC because there is no lag, but with the constant crashing it is making it VERY tuff.... hence trying to get it solved any way possible.

i am basically trying to generate the failure consitantly so i can narrow down what is causing it, but the same thing never crashes consistantly... work in progress.

Just thought i would throw this out there, incase someone spots it, and has figured it out or has a fix.

RC3 Mac OS X build available here.

Game seems a bit less responsive.

Built on a MacBook Pro, OS X 10.5.5.

By less responsive do you mean slower?

We have some updated textures that are bigger, so that might slow down some low end video cards.

Definitely not a video card issue. Radeon 1600 and Nvidia 9400M.

There is just a delay between clicks and actions. Ping seemed fine.

Thanks for that - seems to work great so far.

Edit - it crashes sometimes when i mix, happened at srm sto and evtr sto.

With the full release we will have another Mac-specific thread for bugs. Anyhow, I have to assume that you are on a Mac that uses Intel integrated graphics. This is a known bug with the Intel graphics drivers as of OS X 10.5.5.

Yeah - i played with it some more, it seems to crash only when I have the sound effects enabled, same as 1.7.

i have 4 aux fans running in my pc,

Is your PSU up to the task of running all the stuff you've got?

You could try hardware isolating (i.e. unplug all hardware not actually required to run EL; any additional HDD's, optical drives, those 4 fans, etc.)... and if your video card has a molex power connector at the end of it (it probably does) ensure it's connected properly to system power.

You can also run a 3D Benchmark and ensure it completes a few loops without issues (to help determine if it's EL conflicting with your setup, or your setup itself).

WinXP/DX9: http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark06/download/

WinVista/DX10: http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmarkvantage/download/

Edited by Korrode

Again, tested this pre rc on my wifes laptop which has an old SiS video card , running with an intel chipset.

Again, it works on this SiS video card, which to be honest is amazing news as usually a pre rc just crashes like crazy on this laptop.

Yeah - i played with it some more, it seems to crash only when I have the sound effects enabled, same as 1.7.

There have been several bug fixes done in the sound system for the new release. Do you have any error messages in your error_log.txt file for these crashes? Any particular activities you are doing when you get the crashes.

Edited by bluap

I had the same problum that Misery_Machine has in vista and xp pro crashing my video driver. I duel boot with linux and dident have any problum with my linux install crashing my video driver so i knew it had to be windows related. When i started using 1440x900 res. on my pc and changed my client to use the same resolution the problum went away. hope this helps in some way.

I am running a AMD_64 with a nvidia 8600 GT PCIE video card. windows XP pro_64 and ubuntu 8.10_64 at this time

have a good day

Gary

My PSU is 1000 watt, at has 3 12v rails that supply 26 amps individually, my video card requires 1 rail, so i highly doubt the rest is going to use 52 amps on my 12v rail. everything else in the hardware monitor is A ok, and my voltages never drop into alarm under Asus probe.

as for bench marks, i ran those to goof around with the system and it runs multiple loops no prob.

But as for now, i run at MAX resolution for my video card (1680x1050x32)... no issues i think to that BUT...

i turned off "Actor Animations" and it hasn't crashed in 2 days..... SO i think that it is possibly a certain Animation crashing the driver... but it usually crashes every few hours, and so far almost 2 days.... i will post more when i find it.

if it starts crashing again i will try the video size thing, dropping it down to what you are using... and see if that helps... but only 1 step at a time to narrow it down.

Edit:

RADU is there a way to run through all the Actor Animations seperatly? how many different animations are there? mostly i have seen the crashes when only characters are in veiw, and not animals. is there a way for me to get my character to run through them? to see if it crashes?

Edited by Misery_Machine

Everything is working mostly OK here. I found 1 small problem with a male elf with long hair(me) in a pony tail wearing a uni hood. The hair sticks out a little.

Here is a screenshot of it:

hairout.jpg

bluap was at votd sto with me and confirmed he saw the same thing, also running latest cvs.

Also, I have a new Linux 32bit static binary available for people like the one I made for RC1.

http://www.reptileroom.net/elstuff/el.x86....c-2009-01-01.gz

i turned off "Actor Animations" and it hasn't crashed in 2 days..... SO i think that it is possibly a certain Animation crashing the driver... but it usually crashes every few hours, and so far almost 2 days.... i will post more when i find it.

I am not really sure I understand how you turned off the actor animations..

Try reading post #1 in this thread which links to the howto.

Also, I have a new Linux 32bit static binary available for people like the one I made for RC1.

http://www.reptileroom.net/elstuff/el.x86....c-2009-01-01.gz

Quesar's build is running fine on my OpenSuSe system.

As others have stated, the camera was really choppy and essentially unplayable till I set deceleration to 0.2 and rotation to 45.

Have had no crashes or problems.

Thanks for making yr build available, Quesar.

I have found what I consider to be a real problem with RC3

Running on OpenSuse (Linux), using ALSA audio.

[edit - I am using the binary build from quesar's link]

This client is demanding exclusive access to the audio subsystem.

1.7 version did NOT demand exclusive access, and I was able to listen to mp3s while enjoying EL with all of it's sounds.

When RC3 is running, if I start my mp3-player (xmms) it complains that it cannot access the soundcard. Email-notifications are replaced by a pop in the audio.

If I start playing an mp3 then start RC3, RC3 complains that _it_ cannot initialize sound, and plays, but silently.

Below is info from the EL error log:

When EL is only thing running, and it can play sounds, the following is to be found in the error log:

--------

[14:39:46] Warning: ALC_ENUMERATION_EXT not found. Retrieving list of sound devices may fail.

[14:39:46] Sound devices detected:

[14:39:46] Soundcard device attempted:

[14:39:46] Soundcard device specified () failed. Using default device:

--------

When xmms or other audio app is running, and RC3 starts but is silent, the following is found in the log:

Warning: ALC_ENUMERATION_EXT not found. Retrieving list of sound devices may fail.

[14:22:40] Sound devices detected:

[14:22:40] Soundcard device attempted:

[14:22:40] alcOpenDevice(): Error initializing sound: ALC_NO_ERROR

---------

Hope this info is of some use, because this is a real problem which did not exist in 1.7 version.

Edited by AngusMacDude

I am not really sure I understand how you turned off the actor animations..

Sorry i meant "Not using vertex program for actor animation."

with this disabled, no crashes as of yet

re: exclusive access top sound system:

No one else reported this problem, so it is likely a problem with your system? Can someone else reproduce it?

I talked to Quesar about it - he was under the impression that this was the normal behaviour, but he doesn't use the sound in EL.

When I told him that 1.7 didn't do this, he said that he may have an outdated library, and that he would look into it...

Failing that, I may (shudder) take a look at trying to build on my own system, though my box isn't really rigged for development.

Will get back to you with what I find.

No one else reported this problem, so it is likely a problem with your system? Can someone else reproduce it?

I had this problem before with Ubuntu and Eternal Lands. Right now, I can't remember if it was alsa or oss related. I did fix it by downloading both alsa and oss for my soundcard. It's built into my motherboard <laptop> on the intel chipset. Hope this helps you Angus.