Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MagpieLee

Players using good gear on low creatures ?

I've been wondering about Draia for a bit now finding my feet slowly...but something I've noticed bugged me a bit.

Players using really good gear training on low monsters?

I'm not going to name any names or whatever, just wondering if this is the norm now that the market is saturated with these items.

For instance, I've only just started using Iron Plate set on ogres. :wub: (And not the enhanced kind either, and no CoL). Before that I was juggling steel chains and augmented leathers.

But...I've seen people with full Steel Plate, CoL, NMT with a tit shield. Another example is a player using full steel + CoL + tit shield on goblins...

Maybe I'm way out of touch with today's credit crunching market situation but isn't that a little OTT?

I'm sure some of the "older" people will know that it annoys them, but when I think about it, its not so much as annoyance as curiousity for me.

I was kinda planning of stepping upto Steel Plate/Enhanced Iron after ogres (Fluffies or Clops or Armed Orcs) is that a step too far? :whistle:

SOO anyway, please post and gimme your thoughts :hiya:

Post any other examples you've seen of players using uberilicious gear on "lower" monsters.

And when did you start using "good" gear on what monsters?

If you're one of those players who hunt #beavers with ice dragon armour + thermal serps (exaggeration) then post and tell us about it.

EDIT: I'm not 100% sure that this thread belongs in combat but its the closest section I can think of without belonging to general chat - so mods can move if needed.

Edited by MagpieLee

Back in the days when I still trained A/D (several months before I stopped training any skill), I used Full Tit Plate + CoL + NMT on ogres, together with a bone :)

I simply had that armor because I thought it looked good on me, and since I didn't PK, it was only used when I AFKed at beam.

And well, when you have it, why not use it (more often that when I AFK)? So I started training with them :)

It's all ok imo, as long as you have made/bought your armor, it is yours to use freely.

I remember doing ogres in leather/steel chain/steel shield/iron helm. CoL and other stoof make it easier but is too much I think. If you're cheap you do it with minimal gear.

More fancy stuff is "needed" just to absorb the basic hits and criticals to hit, in most cases full steel is overdoing it just for the looks. A steel set on ogres is absorbing more than the damage taken - such a waste. CoL can be a life- and moneysaver if you have a failing restore. First monster for hydro armours is clops/fluffs, though with some toughness an aug set is well enough.

Someone needs to break stuff, go train in dragon gear 8)

Oh, and I heard a rumour from semi-reliable source that you get über exp boost if you train with BRoD or BoD instead of basic bone/wood branch.

Lol, I've been training 3+ d.chims in aug set. Full phys+will = pro hp. ^^

Never understood why people risk such armours, when it's really not needed. Augmented stuff is fine, with iron helm and steel shield.

I am sure that spiffy armor makes it so they don't have to heal much.

If they recently reset, they may need good armor to protect them since resets turn fighters into something practical newbies in combat.

Personally, I use a ti plate set with a ti shield except for using my red dragon greaves and red dragon helm on unarmed orcs. I could do it in augmented leather, but I would have to have a ton of SR on me if I did. By the way, I made all of my armor myself and I tend to never wear my iron plate set or my steel plate set. I just wear the augmented leather set or my best armor.

I hope this helps your curiousity.

Oh yeah. One other thing. People may where great armor so that they can fight something above their a/d level even though it is a weak creature like a goblin.

It all depends on peoples builds to be honest, if they have low phys builds for multi-training then a COL + armour is good, also some of the players might be on a reset, and also some are training above their level .

My pr0 training gear for anything up to and including Mchims is an expensive: Iron helm, Tit Chain, Aug pants, Steel shield and iron greaves :) (im a cheapskate)

Edit: Best Ive seen is people in RD armour serping DCW's :)

Edited by conavar

First reason for me is, that i can fight longer/use less HE's and Srs before i have to go back to sto.

Second reason is, that augmented breaks too fast even with nmt perk, I hate it to change clothes 10 times an hour

And it has as far as i know no effect on the xp I get, so why not wear what I have, as long as i have it.

This belongs to creatures at my current level...... Ogres, Trolls, Hobgoblins ........ not for much weaker though.

Edit: And I have only some rusty iron thing .... nothing above

Edited by HAWKfeather

Well, it is a personal choice, break one 55k item and lose it at heavy beard for XXXXX amount of xp, or use augmented leathers and spend less gc's on armor, maybe even get a little more magic xp along the way :)

Steel plate is best trainning armor on the high end imo, where augmented is best on the low end

most likely xp/armor cost breakage works out the same as radu is mathematical ebul genuise tho keep the xp/cost ratio the same

I would say it is all about playstyle and finacial status.

We have a group of dedicated a/d trainers who spend hours training, therefore risking more equipment loss. Often same people use enormous amount of resources in pk as well so they prefer to minimize training cost by using cheapest gear that allows proper a/d exp flow.

On the other hand we have people training a/d occasionally, all-rounders etc. who train an hour per day/week and usually have less expenses in their EL life. They can afford better training gear easier and additionally they break much less.

Finally we have people who do not train a/d , they just kill monsters to have fun or they hunt for drops / farm gc's. The goal here is to be able to kill monsters of higher a/d/CL than it is recommended for training at their levels, and kill them as fast as possible, so they use the best gear they can afford.

This is generalization of course but I would say we should accept all "philosophies" and do not really judge people by the stuff they wear and playstyle they prefer.

My advice would be here - try everything and choose what suits you the best. And let others to do the same.

Anything I train on, I use aug leather, steel shield and a bone or fists. I do like to go kill mobs above my training levels as well, then i will suit up in my tit armor, and use my os. I really don't mind healing more often, as it gives more magic exp, and carry capacity is not a prob. I guess it's just a style thing, which is why I love this game.

I think when I started Ogres I was using some Ti pecies. Then once I get a few a/d lvls I'll try to downgrade some. Usually do a test run where I just intend to kill them long enough to see the min armor I can get away with. I think I started using my CoL around unarmed Orcs. I like the extra hp just because I feel i can train longer at a time which is important when you finally get an Ogre spawn. Also it's a saftey net for fails. I took skeptic/NMT so I'm not as worried about breaking things.

Now on the pk server I may adjust this a bit. On main I didn't do a/d training for a long time. So my pk charater has a different build, I'll be training more often there by risking more breaks. And of course there is the ever present chance of getting killed by a person, not just the monster so you dont want to risk giving your good stuff to some punk who just killed you :)

Oh, but I never train on anything that I can't kill with a bone. I always keep a sword with me incase I get in a pinch just don't use it.

Edited by kickany1

ive seen csiga training in red drag set on fluffs, and some randoms training ogres in red drag, saw someone called lilred85 training ogres in full black dragon armor, mirror and tit shield roflol.

Edited by bigkav

right now i train with full dragon armor, js, CoL, and nmt on rats.........i think its normal..xD

well i train on ogres with full steel, CoL, fur cloak, and bone/nothing

i think its fine.nothing broken on the first 500-1000 ogres.

Do you think that leveling A/D to a medium or high level can be done without any human nexus?

Only armour I ever saw Dust with was a stick. Mind you, not the drain-you-to-death, uber-damage staffs we have nowadays, but a simple nexus 0 quarterstaff. She trained on ACs, by the way, and with no armour.

I don't know for sure if she had 0 human, but she certainly had no use for H-nexus.

Edited by EaglePrince

Steel is useful for the accuracy penalty!

I invariably train in full tit - mainly because I am too lazy to take it off!

Guest Trojan_Knight

Magpie I've noticed this as well.. The only times I have worn anything "determined better" then leather pants, leather boots, bone, steel sheild, steel chain, uni med & COL. Is when I add pick points. During that time I'd wear full Iron Plate and then I'll also inventory a bone, a steel long, and a ti long and equip a moon med. I do this for testing purposes to give myself "reason" for how to adjust for when I come back to the following time from resupply for training. If I can't use the bone, and the steel long is to much, then I know to remove the moon med and add a uni for example. Then the bone should work just fine for me. If for example the steel long isn't enough, but the ti long is doing to much damage. Then I know to remove my -ts to a point. So overall when I'm in iron plate, -15 ts'd I'm in test mode. I could just go to the test server instead, but mant times I'm just to lazy for that lolz.

I give my examples because I think maybe others are doing the same thing in steel plate or possibly ti plate or etc.. But I also think that many are wearing ti / steel plate as a "luxery" while training. I may at times make remarks to them.. Cuz I pr0 tardass like that, and I get a kick out of arguing sometimes. But still its not my gc their spending, so it really doesn't matter to me. Different strokes for different folks :P

~~> me <~~ :)

I used to train in a combo of augs, steelchain, steel shield, col all the way through ogres, and even the short while I was doing clops. I think i degraded my col about 8 or 9 times all the way through that.

I was so sick of the cloppies, but in that gear, fluffs were a total disaster for some reason. Then I got the advice to wear full titanium with col, and maybe a small weapon like a tit short and move on to fluffies. Messed about a bit with the medallions, with the swords and with steel or tit shield, but I levelled from a/d high 70s to a/d low 100s without breaking any major pieces of armor.

I've never really bothered to look into breakrates, or to study crit hits and things like that, all i know is that, even though I had always had NMT and skeptic, from the day i started training in full titanium, my breakages while training have decreased to close to nothing. Surely there'll come a time I will probably downgrade.. but I'm happy with it now, and why change a thing that works eh?

The weaker the creature is, relatively to you.. the better it is to use stronger amor.

You'll simply won't break it. And if both augmented and steel plate seems to be impossible to break.. you choose the plate. :)

The weaker the creature is, relatively to you.. the better it is to use stronger amor.

You'll simply won't break it. And if both augmented and steel plate seems to be impossible to break.. you choose the plate. :P

Completely logical. No further questions, m'lord :P

So, nobody call me n00b when you se me in rat cave with my full steel! :D

Since titanium armour came into game I have rarely trained in anything lower than steel/ti sets.

I still remember training on ogres when I was amost 10 levels lower than recommended wearing full ti and a col. Yes I had to heal a lot but the exp I got was well worth it. I also remember being pretty annoyed when a player popped up wanting the spawn, saw me and called me a noob. No that I cared much, I told him how people decide to train was thier business.

I personallly have found that at recommneded levels I heal way less wearing ti/steel and still get about the same exp per hour, so it works for me :P

Magpie I've noticed this as well.. The only times I have worn anything "determined better" then leather pants, leather boots, bone, steel sheild, steel chain, uni med & COL. Is when I add pick points. During that time I'd wear full Iron Plate and then I'll also inventory a bone, a steel long, and a ti long and equip a moon med. I do this for testing purposes to give myself "reason" for how to adjust for when I come back to the following time from resupply for training. If I can't use the bone, and the steel long is to much, then I know to remove the moon med and add a uni for example. Then the bone should work just fine for me. If for example the steel long isn't enough, but the ti long is doing to much damage. Then I know to remove my -ts to a point. So overall when I'm in iron plate, -15 ts'd I'm in test mode. I could just go to the test server instead, but mant times I'm just to lazy for that lolz.

I give my examples because I think maybe others are doing the same thing in steel plate or possibly ti plate or etc.. But I also think that many are wearing ti / steel plate as a "luxery" while training. I may at times make remarks to them.. Cuz I pr0 tardass like that, and I get a kick out of arguing sometimes. But still its not my gc their spending, so it really doesn't matter to me. Different strokes for different folks ;)

~~> me <~~ ;)

Hey...nice sig ;)

Seems like you've tweaked around a lot. I've never really given any thought to it, just slapped on a moon med and my usual shizzle. If I'm fighting something higher then my station out of boredom then I'd usually bring a tit long or serp, along with LEs (LD), AE (MD), DE (Harm). If I'm really struggling then I throw in a damage ring or two.

I guess I'm old fashioned, get this for example - for some reason I thought it was still normal to bring ingreds to make potion of mana to train a/d. And I did that for 2 refills lol. Then I sorta figured out that there'd been over ~20 updates since people stopped doing that, SRs stacked now and mana potions still only gave 5 mana :omg:

I usually train chims in augmented leather, or steel chain with iron helm, steel shield, leather boots. for yetis I'll add a col and cutlass.

Cool :) This is an example of the other end of the spectrum isn't it? I thought you was an uberlicious Manuer LL? If it works then great :P

What you are wearing should not concern anyone other than you anyway ;)

Thx for the your opinion :D

I don't know why you've decided to post this seeing as the purpose of the thread is to find out why people do it since I've been out of touch. I liked your previous post here but this one...maybe a forum PM would be better...cheers coffee.gif

Since titanium armour came into game I have rarely trained in anything lower than steel/ti sets.

I still remember training on ogres when I was amost 10 levels lower than recommended wearing full ti and a col. Yes I had to heal a lot but the exp I got was well worth it. I also remember being pretty annoyed when a player popped up wanting the spawn, saw me and called me a noob. No that I cared much, I told him how people decide to train was thier business.

I personallly have found that at recommneded levels I heal way less wearing ti/steel and still get about the same exp per hour, so it works for me :)

More magic exp is always a bonus :P

Edited by MagpieLee