Eternal Lands Official Forums
Burfoot

Bur can cook

Ok yes Bur likes to cook - i often get pm's now " I've got _____what can i do with it or OMG! MIL is coming for dinner what do i make?

So i thought i'd post a few of my fav recipes answer any questions and especially try out Your favorite recipe's!

So pls post your favorite recipes here :)

Chicken and Dumplings

Ok my all time favorite cold weather reicipe :)

very simple - there are many variations of this favorite but this is the old fashioned way..

Ingredients:

(2-1/2- to 3-pound) broiler/fryer (or 3-4 leg and thigh peices)

2 Quarts water

1 Teaspoon Salt

2 Teaspoons Chicken bullion

1/2 Teaspoon Pepper

2 Cups All-purpose flour

1/2 Teaspoon Baking soda

1/2 Teaspoon Salt

3 Tablespoons Shortening

3/4 Cup Milk or Buttermilk

first of all the chicken - i really like dark meat in this soup - so i buy the leg with thigh peices at the store they come in a big bag usually and are very cheap..

Place chicken in a Dutch oven or large kettle; add water and 2 teaspoons chicken bullion powder - or 3 bullion cubes. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat,and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Remove chicken; let it cool slightly. Bone chicken, cutting meat into bite-size pieces; put bk in pot. Bring to a boil.

In a mixing bowl:

Combine flour, soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk, stirring with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened. Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead lightly 4 or 5 times. For drop dumplings, pat dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Pinch off dough in 1 1/2-inch pieces, and drop into boiling broth. To make rolled dumplings, roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut dough into 4- x 1/2-inch pieces. Drop dough, one piece at a time, into boiling broth.

(alternate method - buy a can of biscuits at store pinch off peices into boiling soup.)

Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 8 to 10 minutes or to desired thickness, stirring occasionally.

Serves 4 to 6.

Edited by Burfoot

Bur said:

" I've got _____what can i do with it or OMG!"

JRD Replies:

Are you making fun of me? :whistle: Even though you didn't use my name, I think that comes from any one of my several panicked pm's...and you always save my uh....skillet! :wub:

Still waiting for a pan of brownies...

Post your BBQ recipe, too, mmmmmmm...

~JRD

Gnome stew up next?

Google is your friend :whistle:

But seriously, my all time favorite chinese food:

Ma Po Dofu

Ingredients:

2 bean curd (like 500-600g all together)

100-150g minced pork

1T hot bean sauce (or sambal olek)

1/2 t sesame oil

1/4t szechwan pepper powder (or roasted and grinded szechwan pepper)

some minced green onions

1/2 cup of broth, chicken, beef, vegetable, your choice.

Cut bean curd into 1 cm cubes.

Heat the wok and add 2T peanut oil, stir fry the pork until cooked, then remove.

Stir fry minced green onion, 1t minced garlic, 1t minced ginger, until fragrant. Add in hot bean paste or sambal olek, fry and mix well, then add 1 1/2T soy sauce, 1T cooking wine (shaoxing), 1/2t salt.

Fry and mix well, then add bean curd cubes and pork.

Add 1/2 cup of broth.

Boil and simmer at low heat for 3 minutes. Thicken with 1T water and 1 1/2t corn starch.

Sprinkle on minced green spring onions, szechwan pepper powder (or grinded) and sesame oil and serve with cooked rice.

You can add some peas or mushrooms too, up to your taste.

Basic recipe taken from

Chinese Cuisine

Szechwan Style

ISBN: 0-941676-31-5

Nice cooking book, 100 Hong Kong Dollars at Hong Kong Air Port some years ago :wub:

Piper

Edited by The_Piper

I usually stick to nr 53 with fried rice, but Bur.. you may have blessed me with an easy to make recipe... with a very limited charcoaling risk \o/. I'll make sure Zia gets it too!

This thread is just cruel! *cries* I'm FPI (Food Preparation Impaired). I had a friend tell me once that I couldn't even cut up raw carrots right for dipping into ranch dressing. :(

So, my questions is, how much does it cost to get the food premaid and sent to me hot and fresh? :)

~Da Nurple~

OK Nurple here is a simple and yummy recipe that is so easy and kids love to help! i like that it is a complete meal i just serve with a slice of buttered bread.

Bur's meatloaf

Ingredients

2 teaspoons butter

3/4 pound lean ground beef

1/4 pound ground pork

1 cup chopped onions

1/2 cup green bell peppers

1 tablespoon chopped garlic

2 eggs

1/2 cup heavy cream

3/4 to 1 cup bread crumbs

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons water

3-4 medium potatoes Mashed

1 can Cut Greenbeans

GLAZE:

1/2 cup ketchup

2 tablespoons light brown sugar

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/4 teaspoon red hot sauce (optional)

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a lg casserole dish with the butter.

Combine the beef, pork, onions, bell peppers, garlic, eggs, cream and bread crumbs in a large mixing bowl. Blend well. use your hands! fun stuff for kids! Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Place mashed potatoes on bottom of casserole dish at least an inch thick drain can of cut green beans spread the green beans on top of potatoes and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Place meat mixture on top of potatoes and green beans tuck in edges of meatloaf.

To make the glaze, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire, and hot sauce, if desired, in a small bowl. Stir to blend. Spread the mixture evenly over the top of the meatloaf.

Cover and bake the meatloaf for 1 hour.

Using oven mitts or pot holders, carefully tilt the pan away from you and drain off the excess grease from the pan, Be careful, hot grease can really burn!

Place back in oven uncovered for 15 min or top is slightly browned

ENJOY! :P

serves 8

Hmmm, you sorta lost me with that longgggg list of ingredients. But it does sound yummy. Have no idea what "tuck in edges of meatloaf" means. :S

I may try this sometime when I feel really Rachel Ray. :D

Thank you. :D

~Da Nurple~

Edited by Nurplewhip

Ok yes Bur likes to cook - i often get pm's now " I've got _____what can i do with it or OMG! MIL is coming for dinner what do i make?

So i thought i'd post a few of my fav recipes answer any questions and especially try out Your favorite recipe's!

So pls post your favorite recipes here :)

Chicken and Dumplings

Ok my all time favorite cold weather reicipe :)

very simple - there are many variations of this favorite but this is the old fashioned way..

Ingredients:

(2-1/2- to 3-pound) broiler/fryer (or 3-4 leg and thigh peices)

2 Quarts water

1 Teaspoon Salt

2 Teaspoons Chicken bullion

1/2 Teaspoon Pepper

2 Cups All-purpose flour

1/2 Teaspoon Baking soda

1/2 Teaspoon Salt

3 Tablespoons Shortening

3/4 Cup Milk or Buttermilk

first of all the chicken - i really like dark meat in this soup - so i buy the leg with thigh peices at the store they come in a big bag usually and are very cheap..

Place chicken in a Dutch oven or large kettle; add water and 2 teaspoons chicken bullion powder - or 3 bullion cubes. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat,and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Remove chicken; let it cool slightly. Bone chicken, cutting meat into bite-size pieces; put bk in pot. Bring to a boil.

In a mixing bowl:

Combine flour, soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk, stirring with a fork until dry ingredients are moistened. Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead lightly 4 or 5 times. For drop dumplings, pat dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Pinch off dough in 1 1/2-inch pieces, and drop into boiling broth. To make rolled dumplings, roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut dough into 4- x 1/2-inch pieces. Drop dough, one piece at a time, into boiling broth.

(alternate method - buy a can of biscuits at store pinch off peices into boiling soup.)

Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 8 to 10 minutes or to desired thickness, stirring occasionally.

Serves 4 to 6.

Yummmmmmmmmm Just like Mom's............now I will have to make it :)

CassIoPIA

Bur, the dumplings were a blessing, but can't eat them every day! Hit us with something new pls!

PS: 22 days charcoal free.. I ROCK \o/

Great thread Burfoot!!

I just got back online since the summer and started rummaging through the forums the other day. Love this one, and will get cookin' on all your great recipes!

Being poverty stricken I hereby offer selections that cost little, take little time, use few utensils, and are gnome-free (in case of allergies.)

-> SOUP <-

Needs no introduction, comes in many varieties...

One large saucepan

One wooden spoon

One faucet (with which we may obtain water)

One source of boily heat

One package Ramen Noodles (any flavor)

All else is optional:

1 or 2 eggs

2 handfuls frozen veggies (any and all varieties)

1 can legumes (any variety)

1 well-stocked flavor cabinet (spice rack plus)

1 onion

Lotsa garlic (in case of vampires)

1 spoonful fancy vinegar or Teriyaki, Worchester, Soy, you get the idea.

1 handful fresh veggies (carrots, celery, shrooms, greens)

1 imagination (or this list will go on forever)

Intercourse with heat source

Turn stove on, fill saucepan with water just under halfway depending on your pile of ingredients. I'm know to reach the rim adding one more handful of yum.

Hint: never turn the flame on a gas stove all the way up unless the kitchen is cold, it's a waste of money. 3/4 flame gets to a boil just as quick.

Sprinkle on the water black pepper and your favorite herbs and spices. Basil, thyme, bay, parsley, etc. Bosco and Pixie Stix maybe not so much.... A bullion cube to match the flavor of the Ramen you choose can make up for a large amount of water if you like the beefy or chickeny flavor. I like to add two tiny dried severely hot peppers at this point for my libido. Add a spoonful of Balsamic Vinegar or other spicy sauce at this point.

Adding Ingrediments

Righto! We have a slightly burbling pot of dirty, smelly water. Now, what takes longest to cook without turning to mush... carrots maybe? If you want to add fresh hard veggies, do it now. Frozen veggies are next, let the cauldron bubble gently while you chop an onion and mince or press at least one clove of garlic.

Hint: To help cure a cold or flu make soup with a whole bulb of fresh garlic plus the hottest fresh peppers and spices you can find. When you are sick it tastes great and all the evil virii get flushed out with the garlic sweat. The trick to the real cure is add the garlic last and do not let it cook, it must stay raw, hot but raw. Garlic is natures penicillin!

Remember, all ingredients are optional, imagination must be used, and lots of people cannot abide onions or garlic. You will need to replace these powerful flavors with something you prefer.

Final Steps

Once the veggies are cooked to your liking, throw in a can o' beans. Cheap and high protein. Again, your choice, but recommended. Anything from lentils to garbanzos (yum, hummus!) I like to add the juice from the can just for the extra eat value but it can overwhelm some flavors. Another can to add is spinach, not to mention beets, limas, corn, whatever. Point being is now is time to add canned ingrediments. Lastly add any leafy greens, bring to a boil, then shut the whole rig down. Before the whole stops bubbling stir in your egg. If the soup is thick enough to your liking, the egg isn't necessary, but it's healthy. I like a thick dense soup.

Feast Away

The soup takes me about 1/10 of the time to make than I'm taking to write about it. Remember that everything is optional. I add all of it and more, making two meals for just a few dollars and love every spoonful.

I didn't mention meat. For simple cheap soup you can really make up for meat with lots of flavors not to mention the egg and beans. No reason not to add meat, but for the sake of convenience I use leftovers. Chicken chunks, pot roast leavings, minced bacon is a great soup ingredient!

I always dump some sprinkly cheese on the soup while I eat, but I'm known to cheese out on everything (ice cream even.) For me it replaces salt (which it contains.) Salt isn't good for most people so in this case I'll say the bullion that comes with the Ramen Noodles has enough salt for the whole soup. Again it's a matter of preference.

I hope some of that made sense, and sparked some appetites!

By the way, here is a quick version of the origin of the above, a story I loved as a kid:

http://www.extremelinux.info/stonesoup/stonesoup.html

]I guess every one stopped eating :pickaxe:

I started a blog where I put some of the intresting things I make from time to time. Please note the blog is only 1 day old, not a lot of entries there yet, but there will be more coming soon.

blog

Here is a meal that you can make in about 1 hour and it's absolutely delicious!

Here is a list of the items you will need...

- 2 pounds of your favorite ground hamburger

- (2) 1.25 oz packs of taco seasoning

- 1 big jar of your favorite salsa (mild/medium/hot)

- (1) 8 oz package of shredded Mexican or taco cheese

- 3 packets of Goya Sazón seasoning

- 1 can of red kidney beans (you can also substitute this with any can of your favorite beans but I find the kidney beans to be best)

- 4 cups of long grain cooking rice

- 10 cups cold water

- 2 packages of large flour tortillas (should be total of at least 16 tortillas for recipe)

First take the 4 cups of cold water in a big pot on the stove and turn the heat on high. Add the 3 packets of Goya Sazón seasoning to the water along with the can of beans and allow the water to start boiling.

Once the water starts to boil add the 4 cups of long grain cooking rice and stir immediately to prevent the rice from clumping in the water. When the water starts to boil really well take some aluminum foil and create a seal on the top of the pan to hold the heat in.

Start browning the ground hamburger mixed with the 2 packets of taco seasoning in it. The hamburger when completed should not have any large pieces in it. It should be browned and ground to a nice texture.

While the hamburger is browning you should take the aluminum foil off the top of the rice pan and give the rice a good stir. Put the aluminum foil back on the top of the pan to seal it and let it boil for 1 minute and shut off the heat. The aluminum foil will keep the heat in the pan and the rice will soak up all the water even though the heat is off. This is a method I learned that keeps you from getting rice stuck to the bottom of a pan.

Brown the hamburger the rest of the way until it's done. When the hamburger is done you should strain all the grease from it. While the hamburger is in the strainer draining you should get a large mixing bowl.

You want to take the strained hamburger and put it in the mixing bowl now. Add the jar of salsa and mix it into the hamburger well. Once you are done with that you need to take the package of shredded of cheese and also mix it into the hamburger/salsa mix until well blended.

Once you have finished mixing the hamburger/salsa/cheese you should get the flour tortillas out and ready on a plate. You will also want to keep a microwave safe plate in the microwave because you will be heating up the flour tortillas.

Check the rice now, it should have soaked up all the water and be ready to use. Once the rice is done you need to mix it together with the hamburger mixture you made earlier. Stir it all together until well blended.

Now we are ready to make the burritos.

Take one of the flour tortillas and heat it on the plate in the microwave for 30 seconds. Be careful because the tortilla will be hot when done.

Place the heated tortilla on a plate on your counter and follow this guide to wrap it...

How to wrap a borrito

This is a delicious meal that the whole family can enjoy!