Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Raistlin

Top player lists

Hi all,

I did a search and didn't find anything regarding my suggestion.

No flames please, if I have overlooked some similar suggestion though :)

Ok, I really like to achieve goals in this game, one of those is to reach certain ranks

in those top 50/100/200 rankings. As I read through numerous player stats, to find out

which level I need to enter those rankings, I see that these rankings are sorted by

name if the skill is equal. So player names starting with A, B, C ... are more favoured

than those starting with X, Y, Z, or in my case with "R".

Example: If player AAA, BBB, CCC and Raistlin have all, let's say, magic 150, I would

rank #4.

Now my suggestion, I would like to change this pure name sorting thing into something

more fair. I see two possibilities to achieve this:

1. The player who achieved a specific ranking FIRST, will be ranked higher than other

players, who achieved the same level AFTER him.

2. Fine-tune the ranking system to the actual xp in the regarding skill. So if two players

have, let's say, mag 150, one of them for sure has a different mag xp than the other.

I don't know if it's possible to implement one of those suggestions technically.

Well, despite my original intention my post has become very long, sorry for that.

Regards, Raistlin

It doesn't seem quite right to me to have ranking based on the day/month/year someone happens to stumble on EL. New players should be welcomed and encouraged to level rather than always promised a place at the bottom of the list.

2. Fine-tune the ranking system to the actual xp in the regarding skill. So if two players

have, let's say, mag 150, one of them for sure has a different mag xp than the other.

This is what I had thought, the ranking would be made, until last week someone told me that it is alphabetical in the same level.....

I would like it really to have it this way if it is not too difficult to code.

Easier way:

Just give all players on the same level the same number in the table, i.e. show the rank that the ranking page shows you.

Say 12 people are tied for rank 34, then those would all show as number 34 and the player with the next lower rank would show as 34+11=45; etc.

Erma, actually, that's exactly the way it is right now. If you look at the table, you won't see DHT in the top 100 potioners list BUT if you search for DHT's personal rankings, you'll see that he stands at rank 99 (or so), tied with some number of other players.

nope he actually meant different, if it will be like his idea, it would be like this;

Attack

1.iloveyou

2.orly

2.ya_rly

4.ohnoez

4.kentbe

4.ohmygosh

7.yadayadayada

i think erma meant that

And what DHT means is that when you actually search player rankings by name you get the shared rank on the personal rank page, but show different in the top200 list. (?)

i like Erma's idea.

Yup, from what I've seen in rl, thats usually always how its done..I like it too.

Easier way:

Just give all players on the same level the same number in the table, i.e. show the rank that the ranking page shows you.

Say 12 people are tied for rank 34, then those would all show as number 34 and the player with the next lower rank would show as 34+11=45; etc.

True, this ranking system has its origin in the sports world (like golf), still I think a better differentiation

would be better. To compare it to playing golf for example: you can score +5 or -4 etc., so no further

differentiation is possible, but not 4.523 or 5.54, right?

Well in EL you can have those, so it's a little bit different I think.

Edited by Raistlin

Easier way:

Only problem is when you have tied players at the last lvl - you will end up more than 200 in the table - or some will get missed off - but at least it gives a better result.

Rr.