Eternal Lands Official Forums
Ghrae

Combat Terms

Since many fighters are new... and from time to time there are discrepancies between what some of the terms most fighters use, I've attempted to define them on the following FAQs. But for those of you who know me, you know that I'm not a fighter. So any input, corrections, omissions, etc - please let me know!

Attack Terms: http://www.el-cel.com/info/faq.php?cat=Fig...&sub=Attack

Defense Terms: http://www.el-cel.com/info/faq.php?cat=Fig...amp;sub=Defense

Ranging Terms: http://www.el-cel.com/info/faq.php?cat=Fig...amp;sub=Ranging

small addition

Perception Bonus

Determines viewing distance at night and increases the chance to hit your opponent with ranged weapons

Fixed

Nice FAQ's Ghrae, all the info is correct afaik... i envision i'll be giving links to these often in conversations with up-and-coming EL fighters.

Edited by Korrode

Question: Define: Critical to Damage

Answer: Chance to bypass your opponent's armor to deal full damage

Success means your weapon will do full damage (minus the effect of your oponent's Toughness attribute)

Missing the second "p" in opponent

Question: Define: Magic Resistance

Answer: Reduces the effect of offensive spells or special weapon attacks from your opponent (example: Harm)

Question: Define: Magic Protection

Answer: Amount of Magic damage absorbed

Decreases the chance of animals using special attacks (example: Bear's Mana Burn)

Decreases the chance of special weapons using special attacks (example: Jagged Saber of Cooling)

Note: works in conjunction with Magic Protection Spell

Those 2 are wrong, should be vice versa

Magic protection decrease spells damage, resistance chance of being hit with special items

Answer: Reduces the effect of offensive spells or special weapon attacks from your opponent (example: Harm)

Decreases the chance of animals using special attacks (example: Bear's Mana Burn)

Decreases the chance of special weapons using special attacks (example: Jagged Saber of Cooling)

Magic protection decrease spells damage, resistance chance of being hit with special items

Well, not completely vice-versa... as you say, Mag protection reduces dmg taken / mana drained (the effect), that bit's right... just all the rest needs to go on mag resistance. :icon13:

Should be like this, imho:

Answer: Reduces the effect of offensive spells (example: Harm, Mana Drain)

Decreases the chance of animals using special attacks (example: Bear's Mana Burn, White Tiger Cooldown)

Decreases the chance of special weapons using special attacks (example: Jagged Saber of Cooling, BoD, BroD, etc)

Note: the Magic Protection Spell increases your Magic Resistance. :icon13:

Edited by Gampa

Gampa is right.

Magic protection just works against the magic damage of swords of magic. So basicly only against a few very rare weapons: Ti serp of magic / Ti long of magic etc.

Great work Ghrae, also love the new php combat pages--interesting and informative!

Hopefully not too far off topic, but one term i didn't see defined is evasion.

Does evasion=def and accuracy=att? In other words, what happens when you take eva and acc pots? Is it exactly the same effect as a/d pots? Does reaction=evasion and dexterity=accuracy? How does a 1 increase in a/d compare to 1 increase in reaction and dexterity?

Edited by Ozmondius

Based on your post and some of the replies, I believe the new answers for Magic Protection / Resistance should be correct. If not, let me know.

Great work Ghrae, also love the new php combat pages--interesting and informative!

Hopefully not too far off topic, but one term i didn't see defined is evasion.

Does evasion=def and accuracy=att? In other words, what happens when you take eva and acc pots? Is it exactly the same effect as a/d pots? Does reaction=evasion and dexterity=accuracy? How does a 1 increase in a/d compare to 1 increase in reaction and dexterity?

I don't know, but if anyone does, I'll be glad to add it to the FAQ

When you use an evasion pot and then type #arm, defense is up by 10, but I can't say for accuracy, since it's also called accuracy(not attack) on the #arm command.

Edited by extrapolation

The armor attribute that's called "Defense" imo should really be called "Evasion", to bring it into uniform with Attack VS Accuracy.

Acc and Eva pots up ones armor Accuracy and Defense bonus by 10.

That's the same as what's increased when you wear a moon med or uni med.

Does evasion=def and accuracy=att? In other words, what happens when you take eva and acc pots? Is it exactly the same effect as a/d pots?

To be more detailed about the actual effect of the potions;

Accuracy increases ones ability to hit, and Defense(Evasion) increases ones ability to dodge.

It's my opinion that in the hit roll, 1 point of Accuracy(armor modifier) is the equivalent of 1 level of Attack(Skill), and the same with Defense(armor modifier) VS Defense(skill).

More speculation is that although increasing Accuracy has the same effect on the Hit roll as increasing Attack, it perhaps doesn't offer the slight increase on the Damage roll that Attack does (and same for Evasion VS Defense in regard to reducing damage taken)... although it's very hard to judge, because even the damage given by 10 attack levels is very littel.

Edited by Korrode

Without some clarification by server developers, I don't want to put any speculation on the CEL site about evasion / defense / Defense. Of course, that's not stopping anyone from stating insights and theories in this thread.