Eternal Lands Official Forums
Hermit

#block_buddy

Umm, maybe I am mistaken but if I remember correctly there is a lil' handy dandy command called #ignore.

It's not really a new thing, maybe word just needs to get out about it?

To block the person from seeing when you become online would be the main purpose. Lots of fighters change names and become enemies with people once on their buddy. Other people simply want to start anew (which simply changing your name won't do the whole trick because your buddies still see you).

Edited by Hermit

Sometimes you just don't want to hurt other peoples feelings. Something you obviously don't understand.

Edited by Hermit

pffff.

If you've decided you dislike them enough to have them not know when you log on (i.e. not PM u when u log on), it's kinda two-faced if you don't just tell them :happy:

As Tali said, just delete them from your list and #ignore them; problem solved eh? ;)

That said, i don't see any reason to not implement this feature so i am all for it.

The other problem is people lie. They most likely will just say I deleted you... And not.

What's the big deal? I don't get it. They can check it in Players Online list regardless you're on their Buddy List or not.

What's the big deal? I don't get it. They can check it in Players Online list regardless you're on their Buddy List or not.
Becuase for some people it's a huge difference between going to the web-site and looking at 500 names to see if player-x is on and a "player-x has logged on" message in the client.

I can see why some people would seriously want their name removed from other people's buddy list (due to a name change or a character sale or whatever).

Becuase for some people it's a huge difference between going to the web-site and looking at 500 names to see if player-x is on and a "player-x has logged on" message in the client.

Not exactly:

ctrl+f (new tab) ---> "players online" (the bookmark for Players Online Page) ---> ctrl+f ---> name (of player).

Not exactly...
Yes exactly. It really doesn't matter what sort of short-cuts one uses. It's still the difference between being automatically told someone logged on/off at the time it happened vs having to manually go check. The push vs pull information model. And that difference is significant to some people.

Just for the record, it doesn't matter to me. But it does matter to others and simply saying "it's easy to look up" doesn't make it matter less.

Not exactly...
Yes exactly. It really doesn't matter what sort of short-cuts one uses. It's still the difference between being automatically told someone logged on/off at the time it happened vs having to manually go check. The push vs pull information model. And that difference is significant to some people.

Just for the record, it doesn't matter to me. But it does matter to others and simply saying "it's easy to look up" doesn't make it matter less.

Uh, I find that most people are perfectly willing to go and check the online page anyway, so I don't see much reasoning for that.

Uh, I find that most people are perfectly willing to go and check the online page anyway, so I don't see much reasoning for that.
Then I apologize for my inability to explain the difference in an understandable way. I'll let someone who does care try, or just not worry about it. Ain't my battle anyway. Edited by bkc56

What BKC means is: the difference between being on a buddy list is that the other person is automatically notified when you log on, even if they were not specifically checking the online page every 30 seconds 24/7, while it is only the most dedicated and highly motivated stalkers who check the online page every 30 seconds 24/7.

For example: every now and then while in PK, someone would say something like 'Toom just logged on' or 'LuciX just logged on' in which case everyone would either get out of KF or put on red cape, etc. I mean under normal circumstance what idiot is gunna check the online page every 30 seconds to see if he is safe in KF?

A problem of the buddy list is, that you can't get off the buddy list of other players.

It would be nice, to have a command to remove you from the buddy list of other players, #ignore wont help that much.

Just for the said reasons, its not needed, that others know, when you log on, and you don't want them to know that.

Privacy FTW.

Piper

Not exactly...

No problem to make it push-style:

#!/bin/zsh

buddies[1]="bkc56";
buddies[2]="molime";

for ((i=1;i<=${#buddies};i++)); do
bstate[$i]="off";
done

links2 -dump http://game.eternal-lands.com/online_players.htm >dump
if grep -q -w $buddies[$i] dump; then
	bstate[$i]="on";
	echo "$buddies[$i] is online!";
fi;
done;

while :; do
links2 -dump http://game.eternal-lands.com/online_players.htm >dump
	if grep -q -w $buddies[$i] dump; then
		if [ $bstate[$i] = "off" ]; then
			bstate[$i]="on";
			echo "$buddies[$i] comes online!";
			# zenity --info --text="$buddies[$i] comes online!" # if you want windowed notifications
			# you can also use any other way of notifying you prefer
		fi;
	else
		if [ $bstate[$i] = "on" ]; then
			bstate[$i]="off";
		echo "$buddies[$i] goes offline!";\
		fi;
	fi;
done;
sleep 60;
done

NO WARRANTY! written in 5 mins, so may contain some bugs :)

No problem to make it push-style:
I wouldn't say NO problem (I doubt most people could create or run such a script). But yes, it would work great (until/if Entropy banned you for bandwidth abuse of the who's online site).

And of course "sleep 60" (or even something shorter) still isn't instant (as the buddy list is).

Edited by bkc56

If you didn't want others to have you on their buddy list you shouldn't have agreed on adding you in the first place.

I find all the ranting about it a bullshit. Sorry.

If you didn't want others to have you on their buddy list you shouldn't have agreed on adding you in the first place.

*sighs*

Maybe the person was helping you with something, then turned out to be a scammer?

Perhaps you added them, then realized they were a stalker, or pedophile, or just plain irritating?

Maybe they sold their account, and the person who bought it spams you?

There can be many different reasons this would be helpful. I know in IMs, I use the invisible feature ALOT to avoid people I don't want to know I'm online. Personal, professional, w/e reason: this would be a great addition.

*sighs*

Maybe the person was helping you with something, then turned out to be a scammer?

Perhaps you added them, then realized they were a stalker, or pedophile, or just plain irritating?

Maybe they sold their account, and the person who bought it spams you?

There can be many different reasons this would be helpful. I know in IMs, I use the invisible feature ALOT to avoid people I don't want to know I'm online. Personal, professional, w/e reason: this would be a great addition.

Firstly, I'd suggest you fix you signature - it's too big.

Secondly, #ignore would solve your problem, wouldn't it?

Thirdly, what would be the purpose of buddy list if everybody starts to freely removing themselves from buddy lists?

Finally, I don't think the currect structure of buddy list would allow it. I'd like to remind you, guys, that it is impossible to acquire a full list of your OWN buddies.

Even paris hilton lost her BFF... I mean they were best friends FOREVER!!!! Life happens.

Pr0 reference. I mean it.