Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rmcin329

torches

I did a brief search on this topic and didn't find much on this sort of idea (if i'm wrong then i apologize) but here goes.......I think it would be nice to be able to manufacture torches to light up dark areas in game. They could pherhaps be under the engineering skill, with a requirement of(feel free to change it) 15 skill, with like 2 fire essence and 10 brances needed for ingredients. They could(obviously with alterations from my suggestions) pherhaps be used to replace the small fire created by F9, and create another money sink to help get gc out of the game.

I'm not too great at coming up with such ideas, so if anyone has better thoughts for ingregs/req to make them, please post them :P

Edited by rmcin329

I did a brief search on this topic and didn't find much on this sort of idea (if i'm wrong then i apologize)

Could you possibly list words you used for your brief search? Or maybe 'brief' meant clicking 'Search' button without any keywords :S

Either way. Torches have been proposed and discussed countless times (the first suggestion was in 2003).

The answer has not changed, as far as I know. EL engine does not support moveable sources of light.

Edited by Iori

as far as I know. EL engine does not support moveable sources of light.

I'm not a coder or 3D API expert, but this may not be the case anymore (since the introduction of eye candy)... could a developer confirm?

Looking back at the thread that Aislinn linked us to, I'd say it would be a good idea to put the fireplaces to more use than they are now (cooking meat only I guess?)

Maybe there could be a chance that when you're at a fireplace, you regenerate/read faster/something similar? but it would require some particular item to be used on the fireplace, and it would only be sellable at npc, so another (probably minor) gold sink.

Talking about torches, I imagine them manufacturable from logs using a carving knife and some rope, then you use it with a fire essence and you have yourself a burning torch (for a limited time, breaks after each use). It would provide light, as well as drive away lenny for the cowa... um, those who are unable to fight him yet, but it would have a great drawback, say -10 attack/defence? since you don't usually fight with a torch in your hand ;)

EDIT: my 100th post \o/

Edited by DHT

Looking back at the thread that Aislinn linked us to, I'd say it would be a good idea to put the fireplaces to more use than they are now (cooking meat only I guess?)

Maybe there could be a chance that when you're at a fireplace, you regenerate/read faster/something similar? but it would require some particular item to be used on the fireplace, and it would only be sellable at npc, so another (probably minor) gold sink.

Talking about torches, I imagine them manufacturable from logs using a carving knife and some rope, then you use it with a fire essence and you have yourself a burning torch (for a limited time, breaks after each use). It would provide light, as well as drive away lenny for the cowa... um, those who are unable to fight him yet, but it would have a great drawback, say -10 attack/defence? since you don't usually fight with a torch in your hand ;)

EDIT: my 100th post \o/

This will be a more effective and longer TS alternative...so including this, we can add +5 (or 10 if you're harsh) heat damage. So wearing heat protective clothing will help lower or completely negate the damage :hug:

the link aislinn posted is over 4 years old. Does this mean that we can not bring up the idea again because it was already suggested in the past, or if not what is the appropriate way to restart the topic

the link aislinn posted is over 4 years old. Does this mean that we can not bring up the idea again because it was already suggested in the past, or if not what is the appropriate way to restart the topic

As explained in other threads, pull up the old links and see what the result was and why it was rejected. Some ideas are rejected because they are just plain stupid, or make the game way too easy, or sometimes they just are not possible to do technically. Even if it's an old link, pull it up and post in that one, explaining your reason for wanting to resurrect it (assuming it's not something like auto-porting your bag of ore at the mine to storage). If you have good reason to believe that something has changed for EL to technically support something it previously could not, by all means post.

Obvioualy, the idea of torches did cross our minds, but for now it can not be implemented for technical reasons.

However, when we will switch to the new engine, maybe.