Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
warangel

cool ranging/magic idea

Idea to further magic and ranging skill, Enchanting and Blessing arrows.

Here is the thought.... For enchanting arrows you can enchant training arrows/bolts with spells that would normally be a magic spell then either shot by the magician or sold to an archer or such. You could make almost every spell possibly be an arrow. Most would be self explanatory some more complicated. Poison would poison, harm do extra harm damage, and drain mana, drain mana. More complicated ones would be restoration which could be really cool if you think about it. You shoot an arrow at a friend who is dying and instead of hurting him it restores his health. Also the teleport to range enchantment could be substituted as something like a teleport nexus, you shoot the friend or foe and they teleport to a random location nearby. The restore arrows could finally be the reason to make an ehe say you enchant like 10-100 arrows per ehe.

For Blessing arrows I was thinking you could bless them to have effects that some of the weapons would normally have. Such as blessed arrows of destruction(brod), blessed arrows of death(bod), blessed arrows of mana burn, blessed arrows of freezing.

I think it would be cool for the two skills to have a sorta warm and fuzzy but distant interrelation. So I think like reverse dependancy. What I mean is that the higher the ranging level the better the enchanted arrows work. Like poison arrows poison more, harm harms more, restore restores more ect ect. Now for the Blessed arrows The higher the magic level of the person shooting them the better chance that they will actually do what their name implies.

(I didn't give any proposed formulas because I didn't want to do the calculations for an idea that will probably be shot down quickly)(just for the record I would think the tele one should be low cost considering they would be mostly for fun and not have too much practicality in a pk situation)

Let's see, bones to gold arrows? Weird.

Invisibility? Cool.

I'd just like to see training arrows become manuable, but that would be hijacking this thread.

Oh, and 'shoot your idea down' -- ranging joke?

For Blessing arrows I was thinking you could bless them to have effects that some of the weapons would normally have. Such as blessed arrows of destruction(brod), blessed arrows of death(bod), blessed arrows of mana burn, blessed arrows of freezing.
I can already bless everything (especially high lvl armors and expensive special swords :devlish: )... Pm MiiX in game \o/

But back to topic... I don't know if this is really good idea, since there is already fire, magic etc. arrows in game. And what comes to blessed arrows, I don't know about them... How would they actually work, how would you bless them etc.?

Edited by Miiks

Yes the pun was intended... Lol. The blessed arrows would work like the weapons that have those effects. Example arrow of death (BoD) of the arrows that hit the person..... there is a 6%chance to do 150 dmg. same with all the other blessed effects. Whats wrong with having more types of arrows? (Besides the programming challenges) It would add to the game and would create a greater interest in ranging

Whats wrong with having more types of arrows? (Besides the programming challenges) It would add to the game and would create a greater interest in ranging

We don't need 100 different types of arrows IMO.

Btw after thinking I started to like the idea of "blessed" arrows. But maybe they could be made by luck when making normal arrows instead of blessing? For example when making magic arrows, there would be change to make "magic arrow of death". Change could be pretty high, since there is still just 6 % change to hit with the arrow.

Really like the idea Miiks got from warangel, would give added incentive to hunt down birds and make the arrows. Definitely would add 2 more nexus to arti if this were implemented. Also like the concept of a poison arrow, gives a new element to ranging. PK arrows/bolts could have a chance when made to become a poison arrow. And healing arrows would be neat.

I still fully support the enchantment thing. I meant its only 5-10 more arrows not 100's lol. But the blessed thing that is a cool idea! instead of them being blessed it being a random chance when making pk arrows thats really cool actually. more incentive. and yes obviously I want training arrows makeable but I thought that went without saying lol. What I am thinking would be like your making pk arrows then 1/25 maybe? becomes a modable arrow in which you can add some essies to make it be a bod/brod/manaburn or freeze.

Really like the idea Miiks got from warangel, would give added incentive to hunt down birds and make the arrows. Definitely would add 2 more nexus to arti if this were implemented. Also like the concept of a poison arrow, gives a new element to ranging. PK arrows/bolts could have a chance when made to become a poison arrow. And healing arrows would be neat.

the healing arrows could be like magic arrows to make but with a enriched health ess instead of a EME

Healing arrows? are you serious?

Don't forget that there will be explosive arrows too, and I very much support the idea of poisoned arrows (or arrows that freeze the target for some time (10% chance to do so?))

Talking about new ranged weapon possibilities, I might think of catapults and balistas, that would be stationary on some maps, and someone would need to use it with special arrow types to be able to shoot with it, and the higher ranged level, the better chance to hit the target. Or they might be manufacturable (pretty expensive and heavy I guess), placed on a map (like the mines), and then used by someone.

My impression is that before introducing new types we should think what to do to make existing arrows and bolts types to be used more often. For me it is their cost that stops me from using them and 99% of my ranging is being done with training bolts. As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) a cost of making any arrows or bolts by players (excluding ice arrows perhaps) is currently higher than their prices from Bower or Arcus.

For pk arrows and bolts feathers availability is a limiting factor. I would gladly see something in between training and pk arrows and bolts - a hunting arrows and bolts. They should be easily makeable and the cost should be around 20 gc per piece, stats - a happy middle between pk and training ones. In order to make production of such arrows and bolts easy, a formula could contain a cockatrice feather, where each feather allows to produce 10 hunting arrows/bolts.

Healing arrows? are you serious?

Don't forget that there will be explosive arrows too, and I very much support the idea of poisoned arrows (or arrows that freeze the target for some time (10% chance to do so?))

Talking about new ranged weapon possibilities, I might think of catapults and balistas, that would be stationary on some maps, and someone would need to use it with special arrow types to be able to shoot with it, and the higher ranged level, the better chance to hit the target. Or they might be manufacturable (pretty expensive and heavy I guess), placed on a map (like the mines), and then used by someone.

yeah that would be awesome and the catapults should be manuable under engineering (but the downside is it require much work to implement :brooding: )

My impression is that before introducing new types we should think what to do to make existing arrows and bolts types to be used more often. For me it is their cost that stops me from using them and 99% of my ranging is being done with training bolts. As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) a cost of making any arrows or bolts by players (excluding ice arrows perhaps) is currently higher than their prices from Bower or Arcus.

For pk arrows and bolts feathers availability is a limiting factor. I would gladly see something in between training and pk arrows and bolts - a hunting arrows and bolts. They should be easily makeable and the cost should be around 20 gc per piece, stats - a happy middle between pk and training ones. In order to make production of such arrows and bolts easy, a formula could contain a cockatrice feather, where each feather allows to produce 10 hunting arrows/bolts.

I agree, before adding more arrow types we should get the existing ones more used. (I use already 15 slots for ranging weapons)

Besides the ideas for new stuff here are pretty useless.

Come on, you hit someone with an arrow and he "gets" health?? This would also imply you have to be able to attack friends.. not talking about the healing invasion monsters issue...

Brod/Bod with arrows.. damage armors / kill people from a safe spot without a chance for fighters to see it coming?

Poison arrows.. useless without stacking poison, to powerful with it (except the chance to poison is very little, but close to impossible to come up with balanced stats)

About the current arrows, I'm not sure if the price is really the issue why they aren't used.

I tried them all and decided for me that only magic and pk arrows are usable. (didn't consider the prices in the tests)

Fire and ice arrows have a higher damage for pro but it doesn't out weight the cons less accurate, slower and higher price.

Simple explanation if I can shoot 2 magic/pk arrows with a very good chance to hit and decent damage or 1 fire/ice arrow in the same time with lousy chance to hit and a very good damage which do I choose?

I go the safe way and hit with the two magic arrows and do more damage overall.

Now you could say but you need less arrows. These arrows are meant to kill fast, in pk you hardly have to time to shoot 100 arrows, you can shoot 10 and these have to hit and hurt.

Conclusion, make the pk and magic arrows a bit slower and the fire/ice a bit faster.

Same about the bolts, but also make xbow faster in general (ice bolts seem to take an eternity). I know they have special effects, but you don't have the time to shoot 10 bolts in pk to wait for the effect. You get time for 3-4 bolts at most before someone comes after you and you have to move.

Brod/Bod with arrows.. damage armors / kill people from a safe spot without a chance for fighters to see it coming?

I have got killed by players with BoD few times, when he comes invis and BoD hits the extra damage at it's first hit. I don't see much difference between those cases.

I have got killed by players with BoD few times, when he comes invis and BoD hits the extra damage at it's first hit. I don't see much difference between those cases.

It's a difference if you can see your attacker and his weapon in front of you or if he is almost out of sight and has the weapon (quiver) on his back.