Eternal Lands Official Forums
Stormie

Wyrmgoth Cave - AA

ok this is rather a weird one.

I use AA cave quite a lot and the past 6 weeks or so when map walking from the silver or diamonds to waterfall exit if i try to rotate camera my whole screen freezes, i have to relog into game to unfreeze it and sometimes more than once.

I have tested this on test server and with alt...same thing...if i dont try to rotate camera i have no problems at all....yes the answer is probably 'dont move the camera then' :D however after discussing this problem with maxine and theryndan i finally decided to post it here.

I have tried renaming folder in docs, various items equipped and to be honest i am now out of ideas.

Any help would be most appreciated

Graphics Card details: Video card: GeForce 8600M GS/PCI/SSE2

Vendor ID: NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Version: 2.1.1

(drivers up to date)

Running Windows Vista

*edited to include graphics card and OS in case it helps*

Edited by Stormie

Random thought- have you tried it with/without sounds?

I used to have a similar issue elsewhere, always froze in the same spot. It stopped eventually but never got an explanation as to why.

~bug

I dont have the sound on cos it interferes with utube :D

Co ords it happens between are 177, 277 and 174 132....also 234 and 174, 132 (i mainly use the silver and diamonds there ) i shoulda posted them in first post sorry

Edited by Stormie

I've had this freeze happen in Wyrmgoth as well, twice. But it was too long back and I only go when the ogres give me enough swords for a wolf run. Same circumstance, moving the camera in a certain area caused it. I'd imagine it's the same area given above.

I can confirm this problem, 100% reproducible. My location "You are in 'The Wyrmgoth Underground' [177,182]". If I keep the camera view high above me I can spin the view an much as I like. Also if I turn off the "Extended Camera" option I can move the camera anywhere. My Perspective is 0.35, Minimum tilt angle 30, maximum tilt angle 90. If I enable "Extended Camera" and lower my view point, I can move around for a bit but my CPU load get very high then the client freezes completely. Sound effects (for example foot steps) keep working. It appears that the client is stuck (running but not exiting) in the rendering loop may be somewhere in update_particles(). In fact if I set "Particle Percentage" to zero, the client no longer freezes, a value of 1 still freezes.

I'm sure similar freezes have been reported before but the only one I could find was this.

edit: I should add that the referenced bug no longer affects me, I believe it was fixed. I also have a better graphics card now.

Edited by bluap

Ok I went to all your coordinates, rotated the camera in every angle and nothing happened to me. The only thing I saw at both these places were grass objects..and an overload at the waterfall. I'll remove them(grass shouldn't be in a cave anyway), but it's odd that that would be the problem as if nothing happens to you guys in kusamura or other maps i can't imagine it happening here. Not many particles either around.

Edit: Also I have a nvidia geforce 9800gtx...I also asked BlackLobster who was passing by if it happened to her(at 177, 182 coord spot), she said no. Has a GeForce2 MX/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!

I believe this bug is due to too many EVENT_UPDATE_PARTICLES being generated, the code never exits the main event processing loop. I have just committed a crude, temporary patch that dynamically adjusts the rate EVENT_UPDATE_PARTICLES are generated to allow the system to catch up. It certainly works for me and is not triggered in normal locations. The patch is very small and can easily be removed or replaced but I'd like someone else to try it. Other may have a better way to achieve the same result.

Ty for all yr help :)

Have you been able to try the CVS version with the patch? Or try disabling particles using the config option?

Ty for all yr help :P

Have you been able to try the CVS version with the patch? Or try disabling particles using the config option?

have tried everything i can think of including re downloading game :)

Stormie, did you compile the client yourself, or had someone give you a compiled version like 1 or 2 days ago? That's what bluap is asking.

Stormie is now using a cvs client and EL doesn't freeze anymore, there is just a drop in fps in the mentioned areas

That's good to hear, thanks for testing the change. Roja and I tested a map with reduced particles and that also fixed the problem. With that map chance in place the drop in FPS should be reduced too. We also agreed to leave the code change in place as it should prevent a similar problem in other maps.

hi sorry roja, yes i tried a cvs thanx to Thery (<3 ya Thery)

As he has already posted it seems to of fixed the problem \0/

Thank you for all your time on this problem :P

Edited by Stormie