Eternal Lands Official Forums
LabRat

Should bots be able to send messages in local chat?

Should bots be able to send messages in local chat?  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Should bots be able to talk in local?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What limits should be set?

• No limits
    • Limit to greeting players only
    • Limit to commenting on events only
    • Limit to new hour announcements only
    • I voted no

Entropy requested a community decision on whether bots should be allowed to send messages to local chat.

Constructive posts only please:

• if you like the feature say why you like it
  • If you don't like the feature say why you don't

If your opinion differs from someone else's then please don't quote and flame them - just as you are entitled to your own opinion they are entitled to theirs.

Edited by LabRat

no no no no no no no

bot shouldn't talk at all unless PMed

I think you should have post that topic in general chat, since it's 'community decision' , most people who look here are bots owners or admit could move it, or mod, i think they can :o

Edited by Jaclaw

I like the bots talking in local, but I don't agree with the options. The limit should be how many local messages are to be made in a short span of time...

Like someone brought up how Calliope greeted someone every time they entered her line of vision.. that's a big over the top.

I see no harm in bots speaking in local as long as its reasonable.

Greeting every player in local will create spam, greeting guildies and close friends would be a better option.

The same for local events, if there are a lot of players havesting then thats a lot of comments for the bot to make. Maybe some kind of filter can be added so that the bot only speaks in local for a max of twice per 5 mins or restricted to commenting about big finds?

The hour calls....well we have that in the client now so imo this isn't needed

I like the bots greetings and never found them annoying, just my opinion for what its worth :o

Edit: missed the 5 out and looked like I was supporting bot spam :P

Edited by WolfWitch

Bots should be able to send messages in Local, but the number of messages should be very limited.

Greeting should be limited to the names on bot's list and perhaps limited to once per EL day if possible to program.

Bots should announce new hours in pm's to people on their buddy list only.

If they ever comment on harv events, it should be occasionally, let's say once every 100's event in their vicinity.

I wouldn't mind bots talking in local, if that were limited;

I haven't voted at the moment because the only limits listed are on the type of message:

doesn't really matter to me, the limit should be on the frequency of messages, for example no more than 1 message in local every 15 minutes (or even 30-60, depending on how many bots are in the area).

Edited by Theryndan

Try google for define: spam

Bots speaking in local is nothing but spam. A time intervall will do no difference since if you spend alot of time close to a bot you will see the same message over and over again.

Event occurs: (someone walking by or w/e)

Bot: (I don't need to read this, I know what it will say)

Edit: shouldnt this thread be in general chat? I know I would never have found it if Labrat didn't post a link on ch4, I never read this section of the forum.

Edited by littlestar

It does not matter what google defines spam as, el defines spam as nonsense messages and excessivly repeating the same message in local. If a bot is restricted to posting messages then it cannot be spamming in what I understand EL spam to be.

Personally I like having our Bot greeting Guildies and Certain Friends in local.

Bots talking in local doesnt bother me for those who it does, maybe the #ignore_bots command can be extended to local chat?

Edited by Stormie

I think limiting the greetings to guildies and friends to once per EL hour, or day even, would be a good change. As for the harvesting events.. the messages from bots like Calliope and Agneum never bothered me that much, but sure, if people experience that as annoying, if limitations are possible, why not.

The 'talking bots' do provide a nice personal touch to the game, so I would hate to see it totally disappear. Whenever our bot tells me: Let's dance!, it brings a smile to my face, I wiggle my hiney for him for a second, and the dreadfull harvesting and muling becomes a little bit easier :o

The 'talking bots' do provide a nice personal touch to the game
This is exactly my opinion but I didn't want to express it until someone else did.

My tradebot doesn't comment in local chat but I quite like the comments I hear from the bots that do - It's usually a reminder to go and harvest or just a comment on harvesting events.

I have no problem with this continuing but at the end of the day I will abide by the rules that Radu decides, so I guess we have to wait for the end of this poll and Radu's decision.

I like the bots talking in local, but I don't agree with the options. The limit should be how many local messages are to be made in a short span of time...

Like someone brought up how Calliope greeted someone every time they entered her line of vision.. that's a big over the top.

I agree with you completly

I voted yes but limited to greeting players. There are some limitations I think there should be on this though.

I believe if greeting players then it should be limited to the people the bot owner knows and if a player requests not to be greeted it should be turned off asap. It can be fun to have your bot greet friends with silly messages but having them spam adverts to buy/sell in local is extremely annoying.

I don't think there should be any other reason for bots posting in local, even hourly notifications are pointless imo because if someone wants an hourly notification there is a feature built into the client fo it. I certainly don't see any reason to congratulate on event etc because if you get an event you know about it, you don't need some bot saying "gratz" or whatever.

EDIT: typo's

Edited by FatboyJaxx

I'm not sure everyone checks the bot forums. I would think a more appropriate location for a public vote would be General Chat.

If people want bots to greet guildies and "friends"(however that bot owner defines a friend), why can't it be in #gm or pm, or non-official* channel # of choice? Why subject everyone else around to it?

And I definitely agree there is no need for the hourly notices, there are enough means already to do that if one wants.

And for harvest events, really, it's spammy enough as it is getting everyone else's messages too in addition to one's own.

Edit: Determining it by location is a bad idea, since new bots are being added all the time, and current ones move around.

*non-official channels are any channels #jc 21 or higher, that is not already taken by the language channels.

I voted for greeting players only, though I agree with Cruella and FatboyJaxx it should be limited to bot "buddy list" not to create spam and only once a day if possible. I don't see the neccesity of commenting new hour/day as it's implemented in the client already. For harvesting comments - in my oppinion bot should only comment getting special stones (I think it's nice when you get congratulations) and maybe player deaths, commenting every stone wall and coins bag is way too much imho.

i voted yes.

Like Dilly said.... i like the personal touch their chat adds to the game..... and it makes me smile when i'm greeted by those bots that do.

Silly? yes maybe.... but that's me :)

(and yes i'm daft enough to have replied to some bots after harvesting events...... thinking i'd just been spoken to. They say there is no fool like an old fool :P)

I don't have anything good/bad to say about this, I quite like the bots talking in local, but that doesn't need to happen too often, like when 'greeting people' that when you're harving close to the bot, the bot greets you every time you walk past him to drop your stuff in sto

so, let them talk in local, but not too often, just 'random' chance of greeting someone or not :P

I believe that bots should be allowed to speak in local, but I'd like them to limit themselves to either a time interval or a % possibility of comment. I know this is possible. :P

I voted no, and I've never allowed my bots to do that for several reasons.

1. Most bots would speak too often for players tastes (specially when it's crowded)

2. Gets very repetious constantly hearing the same stuff for the same actions

3. Too predictable

4. Multiply that by the 150+ bots in game!

Example, congrats on harvest evens ... players are already hearing about it from the server, so why automate something else? New Hour message, similar except the players have control at their plients or the bots can PM the players that want to know in game.

Before the thread was started I had been seriously thinking about Locking the spam bots that are out there. Once the thread got started I decided to let the community discuss it some and then make sure Entropy was following it.

Before the thread was started I had been seriously thinking about Locking the spam bots that are out there.

:P

I'm not a bot owner.. but that seems a bit of a radical thing to do? You could have considered giving the botowners of those 'spambots' some time to get it undone? From what I gather, people pay good money to get these bots ingame, and for the blessings, maybe I'm wrong, but that should at least give them the chance to make changes before getting locked out of nowhere, right?