Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sonic

Active Channel

And ppl who don't use "Tabbed chat" but "Old behaviour" can still use #ci to find out the active one, i won't change anything for that, since the confusion only comes from "Tabbed chat".

ehh? People using tabbed chat can use the #ci, too. The point was to be able to tell at a glance, just like tabbed users would like. We've already said that isn't ideal. How is that need/desire any different if you don't use tabbed chat?

awww but its fun seeing people type the first sentance of thier life story in market channel by mistake
Although I do admit to some giggles myself :pickaxe: (Unless it's me of course :) )

And there is no helping Aislinn. If she doesn't want to use the eminently sensible channel tabs, that's her problem :D
I don't like the tabs, they are distracting and messy for me, and easily clicked on/off and then chat shows or doesn't show when I think it's the opposite.

I was thinking just a simple number or G (for guild) in the upper or lower left corner.

And ppl who don't use "Tabbed chat" but "Old behaviour" can still use #ci to find out the active one, i won't change anything for that, since the confusion only comes from "Tabbed chat".

ehh? People using tabbed chat can use the #ci, too. The point was to be able to tell at a glance, just like tabbed users would like. We've already said that isn't ideal. How is that need/desire any different if you don't use tabbed chat?

When you use tabbed chat and select "View all" and you're not in console mode, you cant see which is your active channel. With this patch, you can now.

When you use tabbed chat and dont use "View all" but click on one of the channels to make it your active one, in non console mode, the chat gets *FILTERED* and you see *ONLY* messages from this channel. (in console mode it's fine, the highlighting of the active channel just changes, but you still can see all messages from other channels you've joined too).

And thats what this patch fixes: In non console mode, you can use "View all" to see messages from all your channels *AND* have now a small "+" to indicate which is your active channel. :)

Piper

Gah I know all that >.<

I was just asking for a way for non-tabbed users to get a symbol for what one is active too.

It still is an issue even if we don't use tabbed (not knowing/remembering/being sure which one is the active one.

Maybe stupid, but straight idea:

That other option is called "Old behaviour" for a reason.

If you would like it more comfortable, use "Tabbed chat". :P

Seriously, using "Old behaviour" saves some pixel of your screen, because the channel tabs are not shown at the top of the screen.

If there will be an indicator somewhere to show which is your active channel, an area of the screen is wasted too then.

Want no channel informations somwhere on your screen, because you're running the client in a very low resolution? Use "Old behaviour" and type #ci to get channel informations.

Dont care if some pixels of your screen are wasted by the channel tabs, because you can run the client in a higher resolution or you just dont care? Then use "Tabbed chat".

I would leave it like this. Just for the sake of having an option for clients in a small resolution to save some space on the screen by not showing any channel infos anywhere.

:)

Piper

I was thinking just a simple number or G (for guild) in the upper or lower left corner.
This is a lot different than a line of distracting tabs and chat accidentally disappearing if the wrong one is clicked. I don't know why this additional request to the suggestion is worth arguing so much about. If it can be done, yay! If not, somebody just say so and it doesn't matter anyway.

:P:)

Why not add it under the FPS/UVP info ... with possibility to turn it on/off ?

Something like: ACL: 3

(ACL = active channel or any other abreviation)

Oops, I've just found this out myself. :)

Anyway, I've had a quick hack and added a "+" to the left side of the active channel. Here's a screen shot:

gallery_14814_13_6806.jpg.

That looks good to me.

Will that also apply to "Windowed Chat" mode tabs? (I usually have mine open and stretched screen-width and compacted up to where only about 5 lines of chat show) It would be handy to have that little '+' on that version also. :P

(Yeah, I know, the rest of you pretty much forgot there's also another chat mode, huh?) :P

Why not add it under the FPS/UVP info ... with possibility to turn it on/off ?

Something like: ACL: 3

(ACL = active channel or any other abreviation)

actually that's better than what I suggested. I like this location better.

The only problem is the current FPS/UVP info isn't shown in console mode, I would definitely want the channel number shown both in game and console modes.

I was thinking about some changes in the chat display system lately. I just hijack this thread to suggest one small thing... customized chat font color.

When we have 3 channels open, the active chanel is printed in white font, but the rest are in the same, gray color. I'm not sure (till i check the number) who is speaking on which channel.

Now the thing is, to change the colour of the font. So the active chat remains white, 2nd is light-grey, 3rd is gray. Or something like that - its just an example. It could be set tight, or customized (in context menu on the channel tab).

Edited by BloodSucker

The channels are not set up like that - you have a default (@) channel and any others are not default so colouring on that basis is not going to work.

Will that also apply to "Windowed Chat" mode tabs? (I usually have mine open and stretched screen-width and compacted up to where only about 5 lines of chat show) It would be handy to have that little '+' on that version also. :D

I'm having a look at this too.

actually that's better than what I suggested. I like this location better.

The only problem is the current FPS/UVP info isn't shown in console mode, I would definitely want the channel number shown both in game and console modes.

A bit more tricky but I'll have a look. Any more ideas would be welcome.

Edited by bluap

while buttons are being worked on how about having the channel buttons clickable to auto add @3 or #gm etc? i know it shows history now but maybe the history button could just show all history.

i would like to click the GMs button and have the #gm added then i start typing :)

-x~~

It would be also nice, if there will be an option on config panel:

(checkbox) use selected channel instead of local

If it is selected, all simple messages without beginning / or @ or # will appear on the selected channel (it can be gm of course).

It would reduce a lot of @ or #gm typing.

(checkbox) use selected channel instead of local.

Uh, I like this one.

I GM so often that I even use #gm while playing other games or even in instant messengers (some friends often ask WTF is #gm, since they dont know what EL is).

And, at the other hand, I dont use local too often, so I wouldnt mind adding extra char before posting on local (i.e. @L <text>). Others do, so checkbox option would satisfy both.