Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sonic

Active Channel

Wow... people actually have those "buttons/tabs" visible?

It is reasonable to have the active channel highlighted, but I think Roja would make the decision on what it looks like. I expect she would suggest changing it to a different colour, but it could be arguable that it is then simply getting messy (4 different colours for boxes?).

Anyway, it should be fairly easy to code whichever button to be a different colour when you get the list of channels from the server, or change channels, but it won't be me as I simply don't have time before the next client release. I'm currently hoping to get a couple of things finished and in, but I won't have much time over the next 2 weeks (and then I'm out for 6 months).

...I think most people have those visible Torg. I always do.

Gerbil..your request doesn't make much sense. The tab does get highlighted if it is the main active channel. You can type in other channels by using @@channel#.

The tab does get highlighted if it is the main active channel.

Unfortunately it doesnt get highlighted in the CVS client i made 12 days ago. Is that highlighting a special option or compile option i havent used? Or is it a difference between Windows and Linux?

I have always "View all" active all the time, btw...

Piper

I think this is a great idea.

I would like to see it extended to some manner of display for the people who use old style behavior and don't have the tabs showing.

(I don't use the tabs :D )

...I think most people have those visible Torg. I always do.

Gerbil..your request doesn't make much sense. The tab does get highlighted if it is the main active channel. You can type in other channels by using @@channel#.

Not much sense? Um, okay I'll try explain then. In the first instance in my picture, I have 3 channels open, there is NO indication what so ever which is my active channel- can you tell what my active channel is? Am i missing something? That is what im suggesting to be changed.

The second instance I just showed to compare the first instance too.

if you really want to know which channel is active you can always type #ci :)

I'm sure gerbil knows that as do I :P

I do that all the time, it is a pain.

thats a good suggestion imho, i too am missing this.

Of course it depends how you use the interface, if its useful for you, but does no harm for anyone using it differently.

The way i use the interface, it would help alot, since i always type @message and never type @@chan message.

:thumbs up:

Gerbil means the active channel doesn't get highlighted when you click "View all".

To clarify ... if you click on a channel, and then click View All, you have to remember which channel @messages will go to or see a white channel message someplace.

if you really want to know which channel is active you can always type #ci :P

I'm sure gerbil knows that as do I :P

I do that all the time, it is a pain.

Yes #ci is a pain, often these days though I seem to be using the 'method' of mis-posting to know my active channel :) .

Which is just not...optimal. :P

And thanks to everyone else to help clarify what I meant.

Another suggestion while we are at this topic...

I always found it annoying that, if you join a channel, it automatically becomes the active one.

It's a major source of writing to wrong channels, it happened to me quite some times...

So please can this be made configurable wether to make a channel active on joining or leave the current active one?

Would save some trouble...

I always found it annoying that, if you join a channel, it automatically becomes the active one.

It's a major source of writing to wrong channels, it happened to me quite some times...

So please can this be made configurable wether to make a channel active on joining or leave the current active one?

I disagree, I feel that the newest channel you joined being active is best. Those times when you don't want it, just join the one you want again. The channel not changing on join can cause more problems and the server controls which channel is active, so this would require additional server commands or lots of extra traffice from the client.

I disagree, I feel that the newest channel you joined being active is best. Those times when you don't want it, just join the one you want again. The channel not changing on join can cause more problems and the server controls which channel is active, so this would require additional server commands or lots of extra traffice from the client.

Although I agree with rauch, as I'm often culprit to this type of mis-post, surely if the active channel becomes indicated (as per the original suggestion) then this 'problem' won't be so big anymore and we won't have need of additional options in the already packed ctrl-o.

The channel not changing on join can cause more problems and the server controls which channel is active, so this would require additional server commands or lots of extra traffice from the client.

If it's that complicated to change or could cause some issues, I think I can live with Gerbils idea about a *clear* sign on which channel is active :)

A simple symbol in the left of the box might be enough to highlight the active channel, using "@" if it fits would give an indication of the meaning. While we're at it, how about adding a right-click option to set the channel as the active one?

A simple symbol in the left of the box might be enough to highlight the active channel, using "@" if it fits would give an indication of the meaning. While we're at it, how about adding a right-click option to set the channel as the active one?

What about for people who don't use those boxes? :)

you just left-click on the channel to make it active..why change it to right click? :)

you just left-click on the channel to make it active..why change it to right click? :)

Because then you see only the content of that one channel, not all channels you've joined.

Piper

Edit:

There seems to be a difference if youre in console mode or not. In console mode, it seems to work, that the active channel changes, in non-console mode you see only the content of the highlighted channel. Somehow confusing :P

Edited by The_Piper

Oops, I've just found this out myself. :P

Anyway, I've had a quick hack and added a "+" to the left side of the active channel. Here's a screen shot:

gallery_14814_13_6806.jpg.

Here's the patch:

Index: chat.c
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvsroot/elc/elc/chat.c,v
retrieving revision 1.123
diff -r1.123 chat.c
1693c1693,1694
< 
---
> 	int itab;
> 	
1695d1695
< 
1696a1697,1713
> 	
> 	for (itab = 0; itab < tabs_in_use; itab++)
> 		if (tabs[itab].button == W->id)
> 			if (tabs[itab].channel == CHAT_CHANNEL1 + current_channel)
> 			{
> 				int x = W->pos_x+5;
> 				int y = W->pos_y+4;
> 				glBegin(GL_LINES);
> 					glVertex2i(x-3,y);
> 					glVertex2i(x+4,y);
> 					glVertex2i(x,y-3);
> 					glVertex2i(x,y+4);
> 				glEnd();
> 				break;
> 			}
> 
>

What about for people who don't use those boxes? :P

We'll have to do something different....

Wow, seems I killed this thread! :pickaxe: Any comments on the suggested patch?

It looks like it does exactly what is needed:

Show the active channel in non-console mode when "view all" is active, so you dont have to type #ci to foind out which one the active channel is.

And ppl who don't use "Tabbed chat" but "Old behaviour" can still use #ci to find out the active one, i won't change anything for that, since the confusion only comes from "Tabbed chat".

Well done, i say :)

Piper

I like it myself. Just a simple thing that clearly indicated which channel is active.

Maybe a + or a * on either side of the channel title, or even an underline if that is possible.

And there is no helping Aislinn. If she doesn't want to use the eminently sensible channel tabs, that's her problem :)

S.

awww but its fun seeing people type the first sentance of thier life story in market channel by mistake