Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Frodewin

"Cold Day" and "NPC Strike Day"

Proposal for new special days to spice up the game:

Cold Day. All maps (except Isla Prima and insides maps) suffer from cold damage today.

Role playing:

A cold front reaches both continents. Get out your fur stuff, if you don't want to freeze to death.

Rationale for this day: there is a lot of fur stuff in manufacturing which has no practical use, since most cold maps can be visited with leather armor w/o damage. On this special day, the cold damage should be so severe, that real fur stuff is needed (not only leather armor).

NPCs on Strike. NPCs do not work today. If you're antisocial, you will barely notice a difference ;-)

Role Playing:

Today the NPC's are on strike for better working conditions.

Rationale for this day: This will have interesting (temporally) effects on the economy. And it is probably less nasty than "Labour Day", I would say.

Cold Day sounds interesting. Nice thought.

NPCs on Strike would cause a player revolt, I think. No access to storage for deposits or withdrawals?

It would have to allow you to access sto, otherwise you might as well just call it "Turn off your computer and go outside day" - I can't think of anything I can do in the game without going to sto.

I still think there are enough special days, to be honest. In effect, most of them are really the same - you either can't/don't want to do what you felt like doing when you logged on, or you get a bonus for doing what you wanted to do. If there's going to be any new ones they need to do something different, IMO.

The Cold Front idea could be interesting, I guess.

The NPC strike day should be amended to either one continent or the other, alternately. Make it an NPC holiday on either one. Afaik though, this idea has cropped up before once or thrice...

and how does that cold day would make the game more "spicy" ?

please explain.

and for NPC strike, you are crazy.

I don't really see the point in the cold thing, honestly. All it would do is make n00bs log off. Everyone else would just put on leather pants or something and go about their business.

I think the idea of having special days per se is good; those that are causing unrest are the simple "Today you can't ..." days (namely: No Drops, Day of Fasting, Green Day, Labour Day, Peace Day). I don't think we need more days like those, which leave you with essentially no choice.

However, I am in favour of more days that encourage players to do things differently. So, Cold day and Heatwave could be ok, but not NPC strike day. Maybe by maps: All NPCs in Lord Luxin's domains could be on strike, and encourage people to go find other flower shops, taverns, etc. elsewhere. But maybe the advantage (encouraging exploration for new players) does not offset the disadvantage (pissing off all those that have nothing left to explore as far as NPCs are concerned) and the cost of implementing such a day (having to go through a list of NPCs, change their behaviour, etc.).

I think the idea of having special days per se is good; those that are causing unrest are the simple "Today you can't ..." days (namely: No Drops, Day of Fasting, Green Day, Labour Day, Peace Day). I don't think we need more days like those, which leave you with essentially no choice.

However, I am in favour of more days that encourage players to do things differently. So, Cold day and Heatwave could be ok, but not NPC strike day. Maybe by maps: All NPCs in Lord Luxin's domains could be on strike, and encourage people to go find other flower shops, taverns, etc. elsewhere. But maybe the advantage (encouraging exploration for new players) does not offset the disadvantage (pissing off all those that have nothing left to explore as far as NPCs are concerned) and the cost of implementing such a day (having to go through a list of NPCs, change their behaviour, etc.).

I really don't see what yet another mild to moderate inconvenience adds to the game, honestly. N00bs are going to explore anyway, older players are just going to be annoyed - we know the best spots to do certain things already. All that is accomplished by blocking the NPC's on certain maps is blowing people's plans for a day. Picture you gathered ings for a large potion project, you're just about ready to go, just need the vials, then the new day comes and the Mel NPC's aren't working. That isn't "spicy" or even challenging, it's just irritating.

People do play the game for fun; if the game becomes more annoying than fun I don't have to tell you what people will do.