Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Horses test

Ok, well, we have horses now :P

To test, you will need to download a patch: http://www.eternal-lands.com/mounts.zip

Unzip it in such a way so that it will overwrite the old files. If you don't know how to do that, ask around, and don't come on the test server with the unpatched client!

After you are done with patching the client, come on the test server.

The client in the zip is for windows only, if you are on Linux or OS you need to get the data and compile your own client with the attached actors option.

[edit]

Known bugs: The glow of the swords is off while mounted.

To go back to normal, use the finger icon on yourself.

You will go back to normal automatically when attacked or when attacking.

Not everything is implemented, there will be some restrictions and stuff with the horses (not able to enter buildings and caves, picking bags, etc.)

Amazing work :(

They look nice, they move fast. Will be looking forward to see how affordable they will be and if they can replace some tele/rings when moving.

Why can't I have a big horse? :(

elscreen011yl8.jpg

I could attack someone with Life drain though, and stayed on my horse. Haven't been able to test other spells yet.

I could attack someone with Life drain though, and stayed on my horse. Haven't been able to test other spells yet.

You don't turn back when using spells, just with normal and arrow attacks.

Hi

EL client repeatedly encountered a problem and had to close.

This happened 3 times in VOTD ( when there were alot of people around on horses )

Happened 1 time @ WS docks just before i was about to enter IP

Do you want to see some ERROR Logs ?

EDIT* the first times in VOTD i wasnt on a horse, just walking through to storage, the time at WS i was on a horse

none of these times was I using a spell / potion / trying to attack anything

Edited by Ateh

Very nice indeed, really great animation and artwork. :( Thanks to all involved.

The client in the zip is for windows only, if you are on Linux or OS you need to get the data and compile your own client with the attached actors option.

If you compile your own, you also need to enable VARIABLE_SPEED too.

Will anyone be on the test server again tonight so give out some more whistles?

OMG i love it! and are the ponys faster then the horses? Hehe now we will be able to gamble on horse races

Hi

EL client repeatedly encountered a problem and had to close.

This happened 3 times in VOTD ( when there were alot of people around on horses )

Try to go on an empty map by yourself and see if it still crashes. Also, check your errors log, try to upgrade your drivers, etc.

If you compile your own, you also need to enable VARIABLE_SPEED too.

Will anyone be on the test server again tonight so give out some more whistles?

Oops, forgot about VARIABLE_SPEED.

Yeah, we can test again tonight, if I am not too busy with playing Fallout 3 :(

OK MY APOLOGIES !!!!!

I think I worked out what the problem was : didnt use the new EL icon tht came with the download, just went straight to Test server via the one i already had on desktop

After creating a new shortcut using the EL launch Icon in the download and changing it to test server, I logged ina nd walked around fine on my own for awhile then went to VOTD for the big test, and im currently logged in fine @ VOTD with another dozen people

Apologies .......

Edited by Ateh

I can cast invis on horse fine and I go invis. But my horse doesn't.

I change map, or tptr, and my horse then gets cloaked (or etheral).

Then when the spell runs out, I decloak but my horse stays cloaked until I change map (or tptr)

Here's a pic:

invisihorse.png

You can also see that the "etheral horse" obscures part of the person's guild tag (in this case, the HIM from Echo).

guy (who's features in this pic) said to me that he also couldn't see my horse. He used TS when I was invis but when both TS and Invis wore off, he saw what I saw. He then went invis and I casted TS. Both wore off and the same result:

invisiho2.png

Oh, I didn't manage to take a pic, but if you cast TS before they go invis only the player goes invis. Changing maps will mean both the invis'ed horse and player will be etheral

edit: Use-with seems to work as well. I put logs, started a fire, cooked meat etc.

Edited by MagpieLee

Very nice, i love it! :(

That is really a very nice surprise \ö/

Got at least 2 whistles from ateh, thanks again!

And finally fixed SDL libs on my comp, so i was able to compile a CVS client and run it. And some other stuff too...

*mental note: go and shoot some ubuntu managers. You need to set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=directx during the installation, doh...*

What did i do?

Changing maps on a horse was fine, using teleportals too, zapping players to me or zap myself to players, all fine. And i got a report that you can ride with a horse to C2 by using the NPC and still dont lose the horse.

Thats my short test with horses after being working like 4-5 hours on my SDL installation tonite *GRMBL* :(

Piper

Will the horse whistles be makeable? If so, will they be manufacture, crafting or possibly engineering skill? Or will they only be purchased from an NPC?

I don't know yet. Initially they will only be from the NPC, and some from the shop (for different color horses).

So will we be able to shoot arrows attack with our weapons and such while on our horses? Will we be able to buy horse armor? Maybe a whistle from the shop that gives you a horse in armor?

soooo.....any timeframe for this wonderful development to be integrated on the main server?

soooo.....any timeframe for this wonderful development to be integrated on the main server?

The idea is for this to be included in the next official client release.

Yay way better than mules :icon13: (in that I can cast off of these and it doesn't take creature food, so far)

I don't want to log out and end the dream :)

Probably mid December, if everything goes fine.

I've been testing the horses with the 1.8.0 RC. No problems so far, but one suggestion. I understand why you can't enter buildings or caves, or fight while mounted, that's fine. However, it's a shame that you automatically dismount if you try any of those things. How about you get a warning message instead, something like the "Not while mounted!" message you get for mixing and other actions.

Because in a fight, you want to attack as quick as possible, dismounting takes some time.

And for entering buildings, it is unconvenient. People will quickly learn what dismounts them, so that's not an issue.