Eternal Lands Official Forums
Burn

Jack of All Trades Day

Jack of All Trades Day

(A twist on Scholar Day) During this day, you get less points in your highest skills, and more on your lowest.

highest skill ... -25% exp.

-20%

-15%

-10%

-5%

middle 2 skills... 0% (Can be done without any gain or loss)

+5%

+10%

+15%

+20%

lowest skill... +25%

Reasoning:

- Highly encourages people to look more at skills they normally don't.

- Perhaps player will try/retry an ignored skill and find they want to do it more (again)

- Gets those stuck on being "just a fighter" or "just an alcher" or whatever to discover there's more to the game

- End result: More use of the less commonly used skills, gets more people to work on more than their "2-3 major skills" and thus making them more of a Jack of All Trades.

Issues:

- Not sure of the codability basing it on user's individual skill level (and as well, those may change during the day)

- Sudden mass number of people ranging all at once (since, well, ranging's probably a lowest-leveled skill for the majority)

(but then, lots of gc in the sink)

- Would need details hashed out should 2 or more skills be at the same level

- Shapeshifting being handled entirely different from other skills would need to be exempt.

- PKers will cry because of a/d point loss (if it's gonna get made as rare as peace day for this reason, may as well completely forget it)

(but then, this hits every person in their own preferred skill, not just pkers/fighters, so they can't whine over it)

Bonus: Unlike double-a/d day (everyone goes to fight at once, congestion at the good spots), or Joule ("I can't reach the storage bot!" congestion), this day affects each person differently, so (except possibly the ranging thing) it doesn't cause congestion afaics.

Edited by GoodDay2Die

imo there's a reason if you have uber low skills : it maybe means ur not interested in them no ? Did you think about people with no nexus to train thoses lower skills ? ;) they woulld only get -25 -20 etc %

So you can't do anything in your bottom... 7 skills (0% to 25% is that many) because of Nexus? I'd think that sad.

Even if you don't wanna work on dead lowest skills, you can still do your mid-skills (6th, 7th) with no loss.

If those are still no interest even that high... tough, that's what the day is about. ;)

So you can't do anything in your bottom... 7 skills (0% to 25% is that many) because of Nexus? I'd think that sad.

Even if you don't wanna work on dead lowest skills, you can still do your mid-skills (6th, 7th) with no loss.

If those are still no interest even that high... tough, that's what the day is about. ;)

Why don't you STFU and try not playing for a week, to feel what it means your suggestion?

Why don't you STFU and try not playing for a week, to feel what it means your suggestion?

Maturity level check, please. You lose when the best response you can give is immature attempts at cursing and overexaggeration.

1) A week is 168 hours. 6 hours is not a week. Use #calc if you don't trust my math here.

2) Mixers REGULARLY have to put up with no-food days while Peace Day has been seen... 1 time in the last 5 months? That reducing your play to 7 skill options instead of 12 means you can't play at all is just sad. "Duh, I can't bash someone in the head!" PK server, please. And stay there.

3) This would affect me just as much as you, as it would hit my own main playing in the same way it would hit you, so any attempts to claim you'd be hurt more would be completely false. This day would, unlike no-food/peace/whatever days, affect every player exactly the same, in their own different way.

Edited by GoodDay2Die

i'm not talking about myself but people in general because this day could benefit me for some stuff.

kay. At any rate, with 7 skill options, I can't see where Nexus would completely prevent doing at least some of them.

And the middle skills had to have been at least a slight interest, giving options for those that just don't like their absolute lowest skills.

Maturity level check, please. You lose when the best response you can give is immature attempts at cursing and overexaggeration.

1) A week is 168 hours. 6 hours is not a week. Use #calc if you don't trust my math here.

2) Mixers REGULARLY have to put up with no-food days while Peace Day has been seen... 1 time in the last 5 months? That reducing your play to 7 skill options instead of 12 means you can't play at all is just sad. "Duh, I can't bash someone in the head!" PK server, please. And stay there.

3) This would affect me just as much as you, as it would hit my own main playing in the same way it would hit you, so any attempts to claim you'd be hurt more would be completely false. This day would, unlike no-food/peace/whatever days, affect every player exactly the same, in their own different way.

Actually I thought that you are smarter but i was wrong. Why make anybody to do what they dont want to do, why to force the week to became strong?? What if you would be forced to eat something that you hate??

There are skilles that some of us likes and some of us dont. There are players who like to concentrate on 2-3 skills max, the others like to be allrounders. Why would we want to everybody to everything for themselfs? Than better play a single player game!

Is it really taking you this long to figure out that not every special day is a good day?

There are already days that "force" you to do things you don't want to. Even worse than this. Day of Fasting forces alchers, potters, etc. to either harvest or fight. Not everybody's a fighter, though you can't seem to grasp that. (Oh, but wait, that doesn't affect you duh-let's-hit-each-other-boink-boink pkers, so you didn't think of that.)

Peace Day has been made so incredibly rare as to be non-existent, but it's your worst nightmare. (Hey Radu, the above post is proof the pkers are getting coddled way too much, they need a bit less rarity on the Peace Day to get a little taste of what we put up with on Fasting day.)

Unlike the above two days, which completely and forcibly prevent you from doing something, this day at least gives you the option to still do those things, albeit at lesser points. (You better well be the first person complaining the next day of Fasting if you're so dead set against days stopping people from doing what they way, by the way.)

And again, it's 6 damn hours, not a change in the entire game. We can put up with day of Fasting for 6 hours (where we can't do ANYTHING), you can put up with this for 6 hours (where you can still play as normal, just with reduced points, oh no, cry cry). Guess what, not everything revolves around you, not every day you're gonna like. Take it like a man... boy... whatever.

I predicted you would post. Well, not you, but someone like you... from my first post...

- PKers will cry because of a/d point loss (if it's gonna get made as rare as peace day for this reason, may as well completely forget it)

(but then, this hits every person in their own preferred skill, not just pkers/fighters, so they can't whine over it)

Actually I thought that you are smarter but i was wrong. Why make anybody to do what they dont want to do, why to force the week to became strong?? What if you would be forced to eat something that you hate??

There are skilles that some of us likes and some of us dont. There are players who like to concentrate on 2-3 skills max, the others like to be allrounders. Why would we want to everybody to everything for themselfs? Than better play a single player game!

The point made was that there are other special days that prohibited the progress of those 2-3 skills. Im a mixer (now) and when its labor day or day of fasting, i cannot mix. I sure as hell would like to but i cant now can i? This day would not stop you from doing any skill, you would just get less exp. Definitely not as bad as some other days so why the hell are you arguing the way you are?

This day would not stop you from doing any skill, you would just get less exp. Definitely not as bad as some other days so why the hell are you arguing the way you are?

PKer coddling, unfortunately. The rare-to-the-point-of-nonexistence Peace Day, the only day that truly hurts fighters. They're not used to things not going their way from this kind of coddling. Time for PKers/fighters to start seeing the negatives that the rest of us put up with all too frequently.

Not to say this is a bad day. This day has the potential to be good, bad, or neutral depending solely on how the individual perceives it and takes/doesn't take advantage of it.

There really aren't any days that can do that to such an extreme.

PKer coddling, unfortunately. The rare-to-the-point-of-nonexistence Peace Day, the only day that truly hurts fighters.

I'm not for PKer coddling but peace day happens just as much as the other days.

from el-cel.com

Special Day: Peace Day

% of Total: 3.5%

Special Day: Labour Day

Special Day: Day of fasting

would suspect book-reader coddling though.

Special Day: Day of the print

% of Total: 6.0%

I think it is an excellent idea!

25% less exp wont hurt ... 25% extra exp will be a very good motivation to start a new skill tho ....

PK-ers often express their feelings in a very hostile manner, that is PK-attitude right? But you don't always have to voice your opinion like that when the matter discussed hardly affects you...

Anyway, I will look forward to the implementation of new #days like these.

I'm not for PKer coddling but peace day happens just as much as the other days.

I'd say el-cel's either way off or outdated (it's changed since that info was written) when it comes to that. Fasting Day and Labour Day (both of which kill mixing) are much more often than Peace. 1 Peace Day... back in May or so.

Granted, random being random, that could technically be correct numbers. Doubtful though.

Added/Edit: Some fairly detailed reliable info backs this up, the last Peace Day was May 24th. 3 times before that in 2008, but none after.

But this is about Jack of All Trades Day, which unlike any of those days doesn't STOP anyone from doing anything.

Edited by GoodDay2Die

i say this day is a great idea, i mean it doesnt STOP fighters from training... so stop your bitching.. i mean its is for 6 hours and it doesnt stop you from training just go pk or something. if fighters cant get their own way they bitch, just deal with it for once like mixers always have to.

anywayz would be good for everyone because it would encourage the useage of skills a player wouldnt normally use

well this is my opinion hopefully it gets implemented

It's pretty good idea, but isn't it bit too similar as scholars day? But still not bad idea :( (even I'm mostly fighter myself too :()

Edited by Miiks

It's pretty good idea, but isn't it bit too similar as scholars day? But still not bad idea :( (even I'm mostly fighter myself too :()

Nah. Scholar's day tends to encourage working on higher-level skills, because they will give the most points. The opposite would be true with this. :)

It's pretty good idea, but isn't it bit too similar as scholars day? But still not bad idea :P (even I'm mostly fighter myself too ;))

Nah. Scholar's day tends to encourage working on higher-level skills, because they will give the most points. The opposite would be true with this. :(

We already have plenty of annoying days, IMO. If they were to add another one, they should balance it with a new good day.

i say this day is a great idea, i mean it doesnt STOP fighters from training... so stop your bitching.. i mean its is for 6 hours and it doesnt stop you from training just go pk or something. if fighters cant get their own way they bitch, just deal with it for once like mixers always have to.

anywayz would be good for everyone because it would encourage the useage of skills a player wouldnt normally use

well this is my opinion hopefully it gets implemented

The reason it wouldn't do that is that people generally haven't done the research, don't have the nex and don't have the ings handy to work on skills they don't train. Also the reason they didn't train them is because they didn't want to in the first place. Since all the other days that prevent or discourage people from doing what they wanted to do when they logged in don't result in more people leveling skills they don't care about, I don't see why this day would result in that.

And I don't see the logic behind this sort of social engineering. What's the obsession with twisting my arm into leveling tailoring or summoning or some other skill that I don't care about? Why don't we all just do what we enjoy in the game without trying to pester others into playing the game the way we feel they should, m'kay?

Pro-fighter days:

Sun Tzu (semi-regularly)

Scholars (pro everyone, but still pro fighter, semi-regularly)

NDD (regularly)

No Grief (?)

Anti-fighter days:

Day of the Brave (semi-regularly)

No rosto day (rare)

Peace Day (so rare it may as well not exist)

Lots of regular pro-fighter days, anti-fighter days are less and rarer.

"If they were to add another one, they should balance it with a new good day" ... You're right, it should be balanced. But adding this day would still have days benefitting you more common.

Pro-fighter days:

Sun Tzu (semi-regularly)

NDD (regularly)

No Grief (?)

Anti-fighter days:

No rosto day (rare)

"If they were to add another one, they should balance it with a new good day" ... You're right, it should be balanced. But adding this day would still have days benefitting you more common.

There's also more grief and acid rain.

This sounds like a great idea (I already do things on the spur and am never really doing just 1 thing) I don't work on Tailoring too much (it's my lowest) and a couple others I kinda gave up on because it seemed like I was critically failing WAY too often and losing gc (which is scarce for me anyway)

If we had a day where we'd get more experience for those skills I'd be more apt to try them regardless of of critical fails (because it's only 6 hours and I just think this would be a day that could mark a new label....{see below}

we have good days

we have bad days

this could be a "decent day" being that in the long run it would help us if we gave lower level skills a shot and for fighters/pkers it would be considered bad but for most others it could be seen as good :confused:

my 2-cents

Pro-fighter days:

Sun Tzu (semi-regularly)

NDD (regularly)

No Grief (?)

Anti-fighter days:

No rosto day (rare)

There's also more grief and acid rain.

and no drop is bad to train no money/items. there is no drop kf anyway now

solar flames too.

Pro-fighter days:

Sun Tzu (semi-regularly)

NDD (regularly)

No Grief (?)

Anti-fighter days:

No rosto day (rare)

When is the whole 'Ooooh I'm a fighter, we are always getting disadvantages, and never getting our way' and the 'Why is it always the fighters that get all the good st00f' gonna end?

I think it's pretty hard to keep every single player satisfied, and as far as I can tell, the special days are pretty well balanced.

Special days are a bonus, good or bad. Just try to enjoy them while they are there, if they limit you in what you usually do, there are always other things to do, in the most extreme case there's always RL you can log on to. Fasting day is a great day to stock up on your ingreds ( or even more extreme: try some training and get pr0 oa xp for a change :pickaxe:), peaceday is a great day to restock your inv with all kinds of stuff (or you can go put mines at the platform in the lavamaze in II :laugh:), Day of no rosto allows to go and live on the edge. Need I go on?