Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

EL research, if you want to participate, post here

1. Count me in :)

2. Ingame - most unexpectedly Linas :P

3. Male

It would be interesting to see the results, since it is a bit connected with my RL education/profession :medieval:. Not many posts on forums however, since I am more a reader (when have time for that), than poster.

Edited by linas

I also want to join your research

Raistlin

Raistlin

male

And I also would like to see/get the results of this :medieval:

Raistlin

Edited by Raistlin

Thanks again to all for continuing to sign up, and to Annatira and Usl for sending blue spam messages on occasion. We're at about 180 or so participants now, including alts, which is great, but I'm gready and am hoping that even more of you will sign up. It's a painless procedure, I promise! I know there are some frequent forum posters out there who have not signed up yet. Please remember that I will not end up reporting, "Player X is this and that kind of person" but instead will say, "X% of posts contained sarcasm" or something along those lines.

Ulla Bunz

Edit on Nov 4, 2008:

In case you don't want to browse through the entire thread but have additional questions, I have provided answers and information in the following places in this thread:

page 1, post 9

page 2, post 35

page 3, post 45

page 4, post 68

page 5, post 91

page 6, post 106

page 7, post 124

page 8, post 160

I'll continue to update this list as needed.

Edited by Researcher

Thanks again to all for continuing to sign up, and to Annatira and Usl for sending blue spam messages on occasion. We're at about 180 or so participants now, including alts, which is great, but I'm gready and am hoping that even more of you will sign up. It's a painless procedure, I promise! I know there are some frequent forum posters out there who have not signed up yet. Please remember that I will not end up reporting, "Player X is this and that kind of person" but instead will say, "X% of posts contained sarcasm" or something along those lines.

Ulla Bunz

Edit on Nov 4, 2008:

In case you don't want to browse through the entire thread but have additional questions, I have provided answers and information in the following places in this thread:

page 1, post 9

page 2, post 35

page 3, post 45

page 4, post 68

page 5, post 91

page 6, post 106

page 7, post 124

page 8, post 160

seems like you've linked the first two links to the same link

edit: fixed here too

Edited by MagpieLee

Your consent form says

The purpose of this study is to find out whether there is a connection between people’s communication style on the forum and their favorite skills in the game.

Question one: how do you tie the dated forum posts to the skill levels, e.g. by using server backups?

Question two: how do you determine a player's favorite skills? The ones he leveled the most in a given time frame around the time of a specific post in question? What does leveling mean in this context experience weighted by a skill factor or number of levels etc.?

I might have more depending on the answers to those :medieval:

I'm sure you have good answers but I've also seen what sociologists et al. do to maths :P

I am looking to participate

I am MagpieLee here on forums and ingame

I am Male

I am not pregnant

I am also interested in the findings

I am also curious like the above poster (who's cool btw) how you would determine a player's favorite skill (a high skill lvl in 1 may not necessarily mean its your fav).

Fixed, thanks MagpieLee.

Ermabwed, together with Radu, I came up with the following: I will create a ratio score for your skills.

(average of attack plus defense skill) / (average of all other skills except ranging and oa)

This will let me know whether you emphasize a/d more, or other skills more. As to forum posts, I'm definitely not going to use all forum posts you (or anyone else) has ever made. I will choose a time frame (let's say, one month) and then code the posts made by those that signed up within that time frame counting back from the date that this thread was originally posted. I have a list of about 160 criteria that I will be looking for in those posts, but I will not post that list here at this point. I have to protect my own research as well. When the posts are coded and added up, I'll have one ratio skills score for each person, and one overall forum post score for each person. Then I can start on the comparisons at the group level. Certainly there are limitations, and they will be explained clearly in my study. I know you can "prove" just about anything with statistics, but I'm not setting out to "prove" a specific point, I simply want to find out about what's going on in EL. If you have more specific questions, I invite you to use the forum messaging system to contact me with them.

Ulla Bunz

Edit on Nov 4, 2008:

page 1, post 9

page 2, post 35

page 3, post 45

page 4, post 68

page 5, post 91

page 6, post 106

page 7, post 124

page 8, post 160

page 9, post 164

Edited by Researcher

Yes you may use me.

I am shamara in game and also in forums.

I am female and not pregnant in real life. :medieval:

Sure i'll participate

In Game Name: Nerdz

Rl Sex: Male.

Also, If it helps, I have been playing EL for appr. 6 Months (according to my forum join date). I have been in my guild for 5 Months. I dont post very much on the forums and only give my opinion when something big is going to happen (or to give a different POV on a subject).

Edited by Nerdz

i already said i'd participate, but since then there has been some changes..

i'll participate

i am Hardcore on forums, now the tricky part.. i am Hardcore in-game aswell as Valkrie (soon to be named Sqwurlz), and i use my brothers char Boedha in PK.

i'm a male

This sounds like an interesting study an I'm up for participating. I would like to see the results at the end as well. :evilgrin:

My iname name is FatboyJaxx and I am male.

Good luck with your study and I hope you gain some valuable insights into human behaviour. :evilgrin:

196 participants (including alts) and 6 days left to sign up! Can we make it to over 200?

Ulla Bunz

Edit on Nov 4, 2008:

page 1, post 9

page 2, post 35

page 3, post 45

page 4, post 68

page 5, post 91

page 6, post 106

page 7, post 124

page 8, post 160

page 9, post 164

Count me in.

Ingame: Acelon. Forum: Acelon

RL sex: Male

Edited by Acelon