Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Resource shortages idea

Brash assumption here, but I'm guessing (hoping?) the PK server would not get this "update".

I think it's worth giving it a try on the main server, but our resources here on this server are limited already since we have a much smaller base. (It took about three days to find anyone who would harvest sulpher for me. :icon13:) Our economy is strong because we don't have guilds working together on projects for much cheaper than individuals. PK server mixers get paid ingredients + time + skill.

That being said, I've always thought this type of idea would add in interesting challenge to the game. By keeping the PK server as it is now, those who don't like the challenge have another alternative. I myself might have to come back to the main server every now and then to see how it is working out.

Additional idea: NPCs could get sick, go on vacation, take their cats to the vet etc...

Please forgive me if any of this has been said already, but I've been reading the thread for half an hour and ended up skimming the rest.

The idea is very interesting, and although I didn't much care for the original idea, USL's is awesome. I was about to suggest the very same thing when I read his post. If a system like that was added, it could also be used in other creative ways. Like, entire maps could be closed off now and then, for whatever reason (Here's where the creativity comes in. Maybe for invasions/contests?). "Emerald valley has been taken with the plague, and has been closed off from the general public for 2 days". Imagine an invasion where ALL exits from Idaloran, for example, were closed off. A lot of crazy people would be begging for rings or Teleport essences to escape. :icon13:

Edited by LIGHTspeed

Again, I reiterate myself, why are we piling these superfluous ideas on the dysfunctional market? Really, shouldn't the emphasis be placed on patching the holes, rather than just adding more quilt?

Edited by Aphistolas

PS. About seasons, I hope one day they will be implemented (still remember xmass tree on IP), and how about having cold in winter ? Loosing hp if not wear warm clothes ? :o

The xmass tree wont happen because of different religious cults we have on our world.

I think it's worth giving it a try on the main server

like ... wtf scoob , main server the new testing grounds for PK server !! run !!!!!

By keeping the PK server as it is now, those who don't like the challenge have another alternative.

wtf scoob ????!!!!!

How about we test it on the PK server first !!!! L0000000000000L nasty !!

PS. About seasons, I hope one day they will be implemented (still remember xmass tree on IP), and how about having cold in winter ? Loosing hp if not wear warm clothes ? :o

The xmass tree wont happen because of different religious cults we have on our world.

Well, I didn't say, I want it back, only i rememeber it as an example of IP winter version.

And about resources... I'm guessing turning off harvestable stuff shouldn't be difficult, cuz it's srver side, so clicking turned off item should return something like 'it's infected ! cant harvest !!11' or something :P

Of course, any changes that would affect harvestables and routes would need to have server coding done to automate the process and not require the work of mapmakers more than once per map. Otherwise, such a thing would drive them to madness.

Some of them are already mad. I know at least one you wouldn't be surprised to meet in a funny farm.

I think it's worth giving it a try on the main server

like ... wtf scoob , main server the new testing grounds for PK server !! run !!!!!

By keeping the PK server as it is now, those who don't like the challenge have another alternative.

wtf scoob ????!!!!!

How about we test it on the PK server first !!!! L0000000000000L nasty !!

Similar changes should be firstly tested on a limited probe (community) before applying for everybody. So your idea isn't that 'missed'. (Yet, I think the best place would be TEST Server :o )

I like the idea of limited resources. It would make the game slightly more difficult, what might be considered bad. I think it would force people to work together to keep their resources reserves steady. I consider it a really good outcome. I hope to see it implemented soon.

Edited by Iori

I think it might be a nice addition if done "right", which for me includes providing a reasonable scenario for a shortage be it by the original or usl's idea, e.g. "parts of the cave collapsed, you can't harvest for safety reasons" or "there's a drought, all plants dried out and you can't use them for anything" for a local shortage (global in terms of harvestables) or "Greenflies on lilacs! Bummer." or "The Union of Dwarven Miners' silver fraction is on strike and blocking all silver ore deposits until their demands are met!" for a global shortage.

A local shortage would probably be better for newbies and "casual gamers".

I'm also assuming that this would work similar to automated invasions, i.e. there's a chance for one (or more) items to be blocked from harvesting (either locally or globally) but there's not necessarily a blocked resource at all times (but possibly more than one as well).

I'm skeptic whether that will have much of an impact on market... complaints about not making a profit when buying ingredients are common enough to wager the guess that people aren't really willing to pay more and I doubt prices would go down if items can't be harvested. As for slowed down production due to increased hoarding: that's obviously a one time effect and thus irrelevant.

And one last thing: the time such a "shortage" lasts if going by the original suggestion should be based on game time, not RL time (my not so humble opinion :P)

Overall I think your time would be better spent on other things for the time being, I'm sure you have your own list. Talking of which: is Leonard still very likely to crash the server or explode on the run? :)

I like the idea, though I wonder: knowing the amount of hoarders we have in this game, won't it just encourage more hoarding? I mean.. I try to make sure to never have less than 10k of my most used ores and flowers in storage, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one at that. If a thing like this were to be introduced, I will just make my reserves a bit larger, so I will be able to overcome a week or so in which the resource cannot be harvested.

My concern is that it will just be a laugh or a slight nuissance to the more experienced players, but a big challenge for the newer ones, that are already struggling to start up.

On the plus side, I do think it may stimulate community interaction, which is always a good thing.

A few thoughts:

1. I don't think it's necessary that EL mirrors aspects of RL, but that's only personal.

2. If the shortage idea is introduced AND it should be more or less like a RL situation, I believe it should take into account the difference between plants and ores/minerals. It takes nature thousands of years to create iron, coal, quartz etc., so indeed, shortages of these are likely to occur. No doubt about that. On the other hand, plants are more abundantly available and can be grown. So, here's my idea: if the shortage is introduced, would it be a good idea to add the possibility to "create" plants (not ores/minerals of course)? It could be added as a part of the harvesting skill. Say, you need 10 roses, a WE and a dung and after mixing, you end up with more roses (50? 100? depending on your skill?). I'm sure this idea needs some developing, but I think it may be worth a try.

Let's see what the community thinks!

Wim

I was think that it would be cool to simulate some RL events in the EL economy.

How about a run on the bank, NPCs go out of business, the flower shop has no more gold to give out.

Seems more realistic than just "all the silver in the world is gone for a week"

I was think that it would be cool to simulate some RL events in the EL economy.

How about a run on the bank, NPCs go out of business, the flower shop has no more gold to give out.

Seems more realistic than just "all the silver in the world is gone for a week"

yeh I could do with a bailout , 7 billion GC should just about cover my initial needs :P

:pickaxe::) If this is implemented, would we have similar "no fighting" events? You know, forced peace keeping, like in RL. Just curious.

From the posts above I like a few of the ideas and think with a little polishing it could add some nice flavor to the game.

1. The idea of mines shutting down due to cave-in's and flooding is nice, maybe a way to handle this would be to have a NPC that would stand at the entrances and let people know. The purpose of the NPC would be to take community donations to get the mine back up and running. This would allow for an out of some of the things in game and possibly stimulate some skills like: We need 15 Large Landmines, 6 rings of power, 5 Emerald claymores, 60 creature food, 12 white fabric, and 500 Health Ess to clear the wreckage. Possibly those that donate get an invasion token or something in return so it is not a total loss but can be used for something different(votes for special days, monster moves etc.). With this system the mine does not open again till all of the donations have been made and opens the possibility of another one going down if no one helps open this one up.

2. I also like the idea of monsters blocking resources, Elemental monsters, or continuous invasions in a certain cave say for a few el days in a row or possibly longer. The longer it lasts it would allow guilds or parties of player to go and some harvest while others kill the invading goblins. The Elemental monster thing is kind of a nice touch a rock monster sitting on iron in EVTR with 3000 hp and takes very little damage so it might take a long time to move it or kill it.

Anyway my 2 cents for what it's worth, back to crafting.

:lurker::P If this is implemented, would we have similar "no fighting" events? You know, forced peace keeping, like in RL. Just curious.

we have a whole lot of places where you can't fight.. and we have peacedays, no?

I'm for usl ideas on roleplay events that affect resources, just not silver is depleted this week.

Since it should be depleted forever, but a mine cave in that requires, payment or game effort to "clear" sounds fun.

From the few quests that are ingame, Im still awaiting "pirate invasions of Portland" as an event.

This reoccuring element is mentioned in a quest, would be fun to liberate pl from teh pirates.

EL currently controls 'resources' entering the game in many, many ways.

Today we seem to forget that it is the player's ability to;

- locate a 'resource'

- gain access to it

- special no havesting days

- gain the knowledge to mine it

- have the harv skill levels to collect a resource

- carry enough tools (breakage)

- survive radon patches and Mother Nature

- as well as beasties in the dark

- and have enough EMU to mule the 'resource' back to his/her storage.

The only positive things a harvestor has is the important harvestor's cloak/perk.

You just need to look at 'hydro' to see how a commodity's is controlled into the game today. Imo there is no need to 'turn off' a 'resource' with all this other stuff currently limiting a resource coming into game.

B):unsure: If this is implemented, would we have similar "no fighting" events? You know, forced peace keeping, like in RL. Just curious.

we have a whole lot of places where you can't fight.. and we have peacedays, no?

A whole 6 hrs versus a RL week? Yeah, that's comparable. I'd like a stimulus refund to help stimulate the economy, as in RL.

(Harvesting Lupines, so I've got time to troll the forums some more :pickaxe: .))

I can't stress enough how easy I think this idea could go to hell if not done precisely, with enormous amounts of data and player input.

Rather than write out a verbose, multi-paragraphed reply I'll try to keep it concise: why do we need to introduce turbulence to an already unsteady ocean?

I speak of course, of the weird way gold travels in EL. Simply, this is not real life, and I do not see why we need to base real principles on actions that will define such a major aspect of a fantasy game. It seems rather arbitrary, to suddenly focus on this idea rather than pay attention to repairing any loopholes. Why not take a look at why some items sell for less than their ingredients? Why not re-examine some items that have become totally useless or defunct? Why add more and more that's not going to help these problems....?

I speak of course, of the weird way gold travels in EL. Simply, this is not real life, and I do not see why we need to base real principles on actions that will define such a major aspect of a fantasy game. It seems rather arbitrary, to suddenly focus on this idea rather than pay attention to repairing any loopholes. Why not take a look at why some items sell for less than their ingredients? Why not re-examine some items that have become totally useless or defunct? Why add more and more that's not going to help these problems....?

Amen to that. Tuning of issues is delayed due to new additions...