Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Trojan_Knight

How can we help EL grow?

You can use any banners/logos I have made in the gallery, or make your own of course :)

TrojanKnight: The bottom text is unreadable, you should outline it in white at least :pickaxe:

The biggest problem to most players in EL is that it needs so much patience. In runescape you can start killing goblins etc. right after you make your char and in WoW you can lvl just by doing quests. I have told many people about EL and they have played couple weeks and then said it's boring. But IMO this is just good thing. I don't care how much playrs game has, because most important thing is the quality of players. As you can see in runescape, there is lots of trolls, scammers etc. just because it's so easy to start and practically you don't need to work at all to become a pker (or can u even pk in RS anymore?) or pr0 in some other skill.

But of course I watch this game just as a game, not as business so my opinions can be different than Ent's. Anyways I hope there won't be things that makes game easier (as removing rule 5), because the quality of players would maybe drop after that. Just read bans forums and you will notice it's not a big lost, that those people get banned because of breaking the rule 5.

Edited by Miiks

Guest Trojan_Knight

Roja ~>

I see what your saying.. I think maybe a over all better idea. Would be probally for me to just go with a completely different font type all together. And then maybe change the color and outline it at the same time. :confused:

Miiks ~>

Many games have many ways of aquiring people to play. Thats the topic here.. You can go play COD4 for example. Which is completely different and is why I feel is ok to mention here at this time as a example. The quality of a player is the opinion of another. Meaning, you may think I'm pr0 on CoD4.. How ever on here you may think I'm lame. Different people play different roles from time to time, based on a from game to game experience. You can't compare the advertising stragies here vs a game like CoD4 for example. Because 1) Cod4 is not a free game. 2) Because its not a free game, they can mass spam advertisements globally. 3) Its a completely different type of game. So, back to topic. How do we, as those that take part in this great free game called Eternal Lands, help it grow?

Cycrosism ~>

Lol To be honest though.. Xfire was added a while ago.. OR EL was added to it a while ago.. So if we could think up or find other things that may be similar to that. I think that could help us as well.

My main goal with all of this. Is just to have fun. I'm not complaining about what in game things may need to be tweeked or etc. Because honestly thats not my place to state anything on. Sure we all think something could be better. Heck even the cheese burger I muff dived into moments ago could of been better if it was free. And twice as big, and maybe not so many seeds on the breading, maybe even had a different colored wrapper.. Ridiculous to state isn't it?

Anyways.. I think 1 day we're going to see that 2,999 mark on the "players online" page. And I hope it occurs sooner rather then later. Because how fun would it be to see all those people online. Having multiple maps filled with people? I just think it would be fun, but also helpful in a positive idea for EL generally speaking.

~~> me <~~ :)

The main problem with EL is that its a pure old fashion MMORPG.

That means that its very difficult in every skill.

People are used in other MMORPG where everything is easy.

Lets see an example.

In RL i don't have enough time. Well if i play el for one hour i can't have fun.

In one hour i ll get 300K exp and i need a few more millions of exp for the next OA.

In other games in one hour you can improve your stats or earn cash.

Unfortunately most of el players never played another game and they can't understand it.

Second it lucks in PVP.

Believe me pk in EL is probably the most fun think i 've ever seen.

But for 99% of players there is no reason for them to pk.

El is allready hard for them and pk is a loss of money. (Thats the hard truth)

Another reason is the word BETA.

We all know that el is almost bug free and playable.

But for people out there BETA means buggy and unstable.

Skills are boring.

At my level of manufacturing i can manu some items like cutlass. So?

Every single time i ll make the same sword.

There is no random enchanting. Same stats again and again.

The same sword, the same price in the market. No suprises!

Maybe after a few years i ll make a cutlass of the mage.

But chances are extremely rare and the weapon is extremely strong...

Need for other spells and class.

Well this has to do with remote healing and buffing for PVP and PVE.

None can heal 5 people in a small area around him. (i don't mean remote heal one single person)

None can buff his guildies against the dragon or against pr0dude.

Buffs? Well priest or paladin is casting and his guildies get +5 armor, or +5 critical to hit, or +2 def or whatever.

That is happening in other MMORPG games and that means i am "doing other things."

Edited by agis29

Unfortunately most of el players never played another game and they can't understand it.
I have played lots of other games and they always gets boring after a while :) You get max lvls too fast or then it's just grinding and doing quests etc. and get bored after 2 months. Also pk system in EL is best I've ever seen in any game (ah you said it too :)). So I could say EL is best MMORPG I have ever played.

And back to pk... After KF was made ND, there has been lot of pk, even people still lose money by breaking armors and burning lots of essies and potions. Hopefully it will be made ND again after test period, even I'm not pking in a long time :)

But yes I know EL is not "mainstream" game. It's too hard for most of people and needs too much time to get in it.

Edited by Miiks

Guest Trojan_Knight

I've thought about posting a few times on here.. But I didn't want to come off like a half a ass. Cuz honestly I'd rather be a "complete ass".. I figure why half ass anything?

So.. I'll just say it.. Agis, wtf your post gotta do with the topic of how to Help EL grow? This topic was not intended for the idea "lets sissy foot our flames towards EL" But rather, how to get people interested in EL, to the point where they want to at least check it out. But I'm going to point out a few of your "comments" via take it as a flame if ya want.. Thats up to you...

"Very difficult in every skill" - Are levels suppose to become easier to aquire?

"unfortunately most of el players never played" blah blah blah" - Are you serious.. Did you ask everyone on game, forums if they have ever tried another game? I highly doubt it. I may even be willing to state, that this comment alone is completely ridiculous and false.

"Skills are boring" - Wtf?!!? Then if they so boring, and so hard ^, why people trying to make they're skills a higher level and continue to play?

"Needs for other spells and class" - Remember, this is beta.. Anything can be added or removed at any time.

But overall, my point is after my lame flame towards you. This is a FREE game, so wtf, why bitch about bs? Why not stay in topic and try to help us find ways to inspire people to at least check this game out.. Don't you feel, that as much as you like this game. That maybe you could "help the cause"..

I've thought about posting a few times on here.. But I didn't want to come off like a half a ass. Cuz honestly I'd rather be a "complete ass".. I figure why half ass anything?

So.. I'll just say it.. Agis, wtf your post gotta do with the topic of how to Help EL grow? This topic was not intended for the idea "lets sissy foot our flames towards EL" But rather, how to get people interested in EL, to the point where they want to at least check it out. But I'm going to point out a few of your "comments" via take it as a flame if ya want.. Thats up to you...

"Very difficult in every skill" - Are levels suppose to become easier to aquire?

"unfortunately most of el players never played" blah blah blah" - Are you serious.. Did you ask everyone on game, forums if they have ever tried another game? I highly doubt it. I may even be willing to state, that this comment alone is completely ridiculous and false.

"Skills are boring" - Wtf?!!? Then if they so boring, and so hard ^, why people trying to make they're skills a higher level and continue to play?

"Needs for other spells and class" - Remember, this is beta.. Anything can be added or removed at any time.

But overall, my point is after my lame flame towards you. This is a FREE game, so wtf, why bitch about bs? Why not stay in topic and try to help us find ways to inspire people to at least check this game out.. Don't you feel, that as much as you like this game. That maybe you could "help the cause"..

i think agis wasnt bitching as u say... You have to find the root of the problem to fix it... many of my friends and long time players of EL left for another game...

As agis said and i agree most people need to relax and play while accomplishing something ingame.. that can t happen in EL cause the game is more life-consuming than others

As for promoting the game ...the only thing u and I can do is talk to our friends and family about it...the other st00f is for Radu to handle

I also think the posts talking about the game's difficulty level and features are trying to say you have to target the right audience. I think they do belong in this thread because that issue is something you have to consider in advertising.

EL is not a game for idiots or non-thinkers or instant gratification people. So to run off and advertise to places where people play the sort of game that caters to that is a waste of time and effort.

Guest Trojan_Knight

i think agis wasnt bitching as u say... You have to find the root of the problem to fix it... many of my friends and long time players of EL left for another game...

As agis said and i agree most people need to relax and play while accomplishing something ingame.. that can t happen in EL cause the game is more life-consuming than others

As for promoting the game ...the only thing u and I can do is talk to our friends and family about it...the other st00f is for Radu to handle

Though, maybe there isn't a "root" of a problem. Maybe its just that some that play, don't like certain features. Maybe what some may consider "roots of a problem" may just be the way the game was intended to be. Because how can, you, I or anyone else. Speculate what a problem may be or not. If neither of us implimented that ordeal. Only Ent can determine what goes into and out of game. Just as only Ent can determine if he wishes to advertise in this or that magazine for example. Though, you, I, those that play. We play many games. And some other games, do allow banners from other games on they're sites for example. But in all theory, isn't 2 heads better then 1? Meaning, if someone that plays this game, sees maybe a possibility that was over looked, or maybe not seen before, and braught to the attention of Ent for example via this thread. Then why couldn't that be a good thing? I'm not here to put words in peoples mouths. I'm here to play a fun game, and during my play, I intend to make it fun for everyone else as well if I can do so during that process. Wheather that be I'm a evil tardass, or a helpful nice kind person, or what ever role i intend to play.

My point is, we are many. And through out all of us. Maybe once in a while, someone sees a possiblity that could / would help EL in one form or another aquire more people to at least be interested enough to maybe want to check out this game and play. Some will stay, some won't. But regardless, there will always be those that see the negatives and speak apon them before they can speak positively..

And the strange thing is this.. I have asked a small handful of people on game, what they thought about "The game aquiring more people?" About a dozen or so. And would you believe what the common answers were? I'm not going to mention names. But I will give answers..

Some people said "That would be a bad thing because the spawns are already scarse as it is"

Some others said "I don't think thats a great idea, because then you would have noobs spamming everyone "what do i do next"

Then the other half of the people said things regarding it being a positive thing.. But, why would 50% of the people I asked be agaisnt the idea? It makes absolutely no sense at all. I almost get the impression. That possibly, and I could be wrong. That possibly, if the change or idea does not in some manner, help that certain individual, then that person apposes the idea, regardless of what it is. So, in all theory.. Maybe the problem you consider "the root of problems" is not the game features. But more so, some of the individuals that play the game.

Did it ever occur to you that some people might prefer quality over quantity?

I don't think because some people prefer a smaller more intimate gathering of intelligent friends over a big massive free for all party, that they are bad. And that is what drew them to EL in the first place.

Trojan Knight mate me and Harondas posted in some forums in my country about EL.

The reactions we saw were "its difficult", "its beta", "no classes" and things about graphics.

Graphics were improved and will be improved even more as i hear.

Of course you didn't know that....so don't try to tell me how to help EL.

Guest Trojan_Knight
Did it ever occur to you that some people might prefer quality over quantity?

I don't think because some people prefer a smaller more intimate gathering of intelligent friends over a big massive free for all party, that they are bad. And that is what drew them to EL in the first place.

What I have said basically. Is some people should try to look towards the brighter side of things. There are quality players everywhere. Some of those may not even know EL exsists. Unless your saying, and my assumpion could be completely wrong, that only those that play EL are of intelligence and quality? And to be honest. EL does have its moments when "big massive free for alls take place".. Look at invasions for example. Yeah, they don't happen daily, 24/7.. Some have gatherings where they make a party bag. Massive number of people working together for the cause of a project. So I will say, in my opinion. I do think at times fun, massive, free for all type of things take place on EL.

~~> me <~~ ;)

You totally misunderstand.

A good number of people are here because EL is (was) small and looking for help and involvement and it is (was) a more intimate type of game to play where if you have time and dedication and patience and certain skills you could contribute a lot and accomplish a lot. People stayed because they LIKED knowing each and every player. These people were intentionally looking for a game like EL. It has nothing to do with "are there smart people anywhere else other than EL?" No idea where you get that from what I said or what anybody else has said.

Just because people don't see it like you do, does not make them wrong or bad or you wrong or bad. But you can't make people want what you want. Odds are if they did, they would have found a different game in the first place.

Edit: I personally prefer word of mouth...where people who like EL recommend it and encourage other people they think will like it too, to come try it. That way there is a good chance we will get new people who are looking for what EL offers and they will actually stick around. To just grab any old newb from Runescape is not helping the current players or EL the game. I personally would never want to dumb down EL for the purpose of getting "more players". Quality over quantity, every time.

You totally misunderstand.

A good number of people are here because EL is (was) small and looking for help and involvement and it is (was) a more intimate type of game to play where if you have time and dedication and patience and certain skills you could contribute a lot and accomplish a lot. People stayed because they LIKED knowing each and every player. These people were intentionally looking for a game like EL. It has nothing to do with "are there smart people anywhere else other than EL?" No idea where you get that from what I said or what anybody else has said.

Just because people don't see it like you do, does not make them wrong or bad or you wrong or bad. But you can't make people want what you want. Odds are if they did, they would have found a different game in the first place.

I fully agree with ais. It's annoying to play game when there's millions of players. It's much easier to make friends and enemies in smaller game, like EL. Of course it would be nice to get more "good" people to play EL, but I don't see it as a problem that EL is pretty small game. Just watch WoW: Is there any legends, like Toom and many other old players in EL? WoW is just one big bunch of players, where no one is "better" than other.

I understand your opinion and I hope you understand other's opinions too. I didn't see agis's comment as a flame. It was just his opinion and I respect it and even agree with him in some ways. So please try to avoid dissing opinions that aren't like yours (of course you can talk about them, but better not to attack against them as u did in agis's case ;)).

Edited by Miiks

Guest Trojan_Knight

I hear what ya saying. An there are games simlar to EL that offer similar interests and outcomes. Which basically in EL, things tend to be "endless" meaning a game that basically never ends. You keep building and building and building and etc. Why would a few more fun people joining the game for example be a "bad" thing if they liked that sort of thing? And how are they to play EL if they not know it exsists?

I know only my views on things relate to my reaction to things. Just like how anyone views something else determines they're reaction. But why can't people at least "attempt" to try and help in a manner that is positive with out being negative if they choose to help? Which goes back on the old saying of "if ya don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." (which I am probally King of not following lolz) Most of the things that are listed, that are negative, have been stated hundreds if not thousands of times already.

And yes, I agree.. Word of mouth probally gives the best over all results. Because now you have someone you know in game that is most likely able to help you. So thats a added fun aspect. Also, you already have a friend in the game. Another plus. And many other reasons. But if I'm on site ABC PR0 FREE Online MMORPG Games today for example (hopefully not a real site lolz). And for example, it has a section like "own a game, need free advertisement" or a forums section like "want to mention a game you find great".. Why not mention the site to Ent so em can do wtfe he wants with it. Or post in the forums and tell about EL..Yeah, this game can be difficult at times. But that doesn't mean I have to discourage people in the info I provide about the game. I can be honest. "Eternal Lands can be a difficult game to play for some." Thats not me saying its to hard for you, or you wont like it. Because everyone has a different opinion of what they like, and what they dislike.

~~> me <~~ ;)

I hear what ya saying. An there are games simlar to EL that offer similar interests and outcomes. Which basically in EL, things tend to be "endless" meaning a game that basically never ends. You keep building and building and building and etc. Why would a few more fun people joining the game for example be a "bad" thing if they liked that sort of thing? And how are they to play EL if they not know it exsists?

I know only my views on things relate to my reaction to things. Just like how anyone views something else determines they're reaction. But why can't people at least "attempt" to try and help in a manner that is positive with out being negative if they choose to help? Which goes back on the old saying of "if ya don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." (which I am probally King of not following lolz) Most of the things that are listed, that are negative, have been stated hundreds if not thousands of times already.

And yes, I agree.. Word of mouth probally gives the best over all results. Because now you have someone you know in game that is most likely able to help you. So thats a added fun aspect. Also, you already have a friend in the game. Another plus. And many other reasons. But if I'm on site ABC PR0 FREE Online MMORPG Games today for example (hopefully not a real site lolz). And for example, it has a section like "own a game, need free advertisement" or a forums section like "want to mention a game you find great".. Why not mention the site to Ent so em can do wtfe he wants with it. Or post in the forums and tell about EL..Yeah, this game can be difficult at times. But that doesn't mean I have to discourage people in the info I provide about the game. I can be honest. "Eternal Lands can be a difficult game to play for some." Thats not me saying its to hard for you, or you wont like it. Because everyone has a different opinion of what they like, and what they dislike.

~~> me <~~ ;)

Depends what is "few more players". I don't want that EL becomes like RS, where there is millions of players (not sure about correct numbers) and lots of trouplemakers too among them.

And yes I have posted about EL to many forums already and told to friends etc.

Nah I'm too tired to explain more. I'll try again tomorrow if I still got something to say :P

El client is available in the Greek edition of the "Linux Format" magazine this month.

If it's included on the Greek edition of the magazine i guess that the English version of the magazine will have El too on its

Dvd.

That's the way i discovered El btw.

Do what me and my friend do. Go into Radio Shack, Best Buy etc. and set the screen savers of all the PCs to advertise www.eternal-lands.com.

But.. of course, I wouldn't consider this a very effective way of getting people to play.

Edited by ~Krius~

Guest Trojan_Knight
Do what me and my friend do. Go into Radio Shack, Best Buy etc. and set the screen savers of all the PCs to advertise www.eternal-lands.com.

But.. of course, I wouldn't consider this a very effective way of getting people to play.

LOLz.. Nice.. Thats pretty funny to be honest. :pickaxe: I may have to try that sometime just to see what happens lolz. I'm all for aquiring reactions out of people lolz.

~~> me <~~ :icon13: