Eternal Lands Official Forums
bluap

Debian/Ubuntu packages from latest CVS

A while ago (before the 1.7.0 release) I stated offering Ubuntu/Debian packages for EL. Since the release of 1.7.0, there have been over 1000 installs. I have no idea how many of these are regularly being used but this is far more than I expected. Anyway, my original plan was to update the packages now and again from the latest, stable CVS. In view the large number of people this could effect, I have decided to instead offer an additional, optional package built from the latest CVS.

So, from the same repositories as the main packages, you can now install eternallands-cvs. If you install this package, the release client version will be left unchanged. This additional copy of the client, wrapper script and menu icon are tagged with "cvs". The eternallands-cvs package can be removed at any time without disrupting the release client. If you remove the release client, eternallands-cvs will be removed too.

At the time of production, the only change from the code in CVS is that the version string build number is modified to reflect the current date. This will be shown at start-up and for the #ver command.

If you install this package, it may sometime not work correctly. Please report such bugs in the forum thread and explain that you are using this package and provide the version number too. I will also update the package now and again as CVS changes. I have no fixed schedule for this but intend keep it up to date with CVS so expect updates to be offered via your OS update feature.

Should CVS change to require new data, I intend to create an eternallands-data-cvs package too.

For more information about the packages please visit the ubuntu wiki page; which I am about to update.

Thanks bluap, adding the -cvs packages is an excellent idea (and the base packages have been working flawlessly since you started offering them)! :whistle:

I will let you know if I notice any problem with the packaging per se.

Thanks bluap, the last package is working great (I had a couple of freezes with the previous one).

Rehdon

Thanks for the feedback. Was it the previous CVS package or the release version you were having freezes with? I think Torg fixed a possible sound related freeze since the 1.7.0 release. I certainly have not have any freezes since that fix.

Thanks for the feedback. Was it the previous CVS package or the release version you were having freezes with? I think Torg fixed a possible sound related freeze since the 1.7.0 release. I certainly have not have any freezes since that fix.

It was the previous CVS package. I didn't use it much because soon after installing it I upgraded to the current CVS package, which has proven very stable so far.

TY again.

Rehdon

It was the previous CVS package. I didn't use it much because soon after installing it I upgraded to the current CVS package, which has proven very stable so far.

OK, thanks for the information but I can't explain it. Glad you finding the packages useful. :)

Hi bluap and all,

I just installed the latest CVS version and I noticed a curious bug: a Crown of Life is not visible when worn, although it works as expected.

Rehdon

Hi bluap and all,

I just installed the latest CVS version and I noticed a curious bug: a Crown of Life is not visible when worn, although it works as expected.

Yes, sorry, I've been dithering as to what to do about that. There was a code change that means the version CVS needs some updated actor definition files from Torg. There is a thread here. You need two files from Torg's actor_defs.zip. Copy the files player_helmets.xml and player_weapons.xml into $HOME/.elc/updates/1_7_0/actor_defs and you should be set.

The reason I have dithered is because I would need to include these files in the CVS package or provide a new CVS package for the data too. It all gets rather complex and we are nearly at the release candidate stage for the next release anyway.

To make things a little easier for folks. I've put the two files you need to fix the COL viability problem on my website:

Copy the files player_helmets.xml and player_weapons.xml into $HOME/.elc/updates/1_7_0/actor_defs and you should be set.

You probably need to right click the files, select "save as" and browse to the location. You might need to create the "actor_defs" directory.

Not sure where I should/could post this item but this thread should be OK.

I've noticed that the server selection GUI included in the package (which uses zenity) does not appear on top of other windows when used on Ubuntu 8.10. This is a code change in the zenity application which is under discussion for reverting back. Here's the zenity change and discussion and here is the Ubuntu bug report. The bug report includes a simple patch to restore the original behaviour; it works fine.

Today I added new Ubuntu packages for the 1.8.0 client built from the latest CVS. The package name is eternallands-cvs. It is built from unmodified CVS using the standard compile options and so can be used on the main EL server. As before, this package installs an additional client executable, server selection GUI and menu icon. If you install this new package, the 1.8.0 release client version will still be available. If you run the old client, some new options (ground bag size etc) will revert to the defaults when you next run the CVS version. This new package is authentication signed by the Launchpad build service and so you may like to add the relevant key to your package manager following the instructions on the launchpad page. I'll add a Debian (Lenny) package in the next day or so.

I have also added all packages built for the next Ubuntu release 9.04 Jaunty. Jaunty is still in alpha testing and currently does not work on my test machine but I'm sure the packages will be OK; I'll test when I can.

If you haven't already done so, you ought to update your package sources to the new launchpad URL as described here.

Edit: The Debian Lenny (32 bit) package is ready now.

Edited by bluap

Just installed Debian packages on Squeeze/Testing, worked fine :P* ...just one thing; is it necessary that eternallands-sound be a dependency of the main package?

I personally dont play with sounds on so for me it's just wasted space... can the sounds package not be optional?

EDIT:

* actually, the installation seemed to go fine, but the client is crashing on boot.

I'll figure out why and edit/post soon (i run compiz so that could be why....)

EDIT2:

Firstly i'll just say that i realise i'm trying to run a package tested for Debian Lenny on Debian Squeeze, and i have no expectation for things to 'just work'... i'm posting for informative purposes :)

Seems it's not compiz causing an issue (i tried without compiz running). When i run eternallands or eternallands-cvs from a terminal, when it crashes (which happens after the server selector, when the client is initally loading, just before the login prompt), i get this output:

~$ eternallands
/usr/games/eternallands: line 149:  9560 Segmentation fault	  /usr/games/el.x86.linux.bin $config $* >&~/.elc/terminal_log.txt

error_log.txt contains no information of use and terminal_log.txt contains nothing.

Considering this doesn't look to me like any kind of library or driver issue, and i'm not a coder, there wasn't really any further troubleshooting path i could take, so for the time being i've renamed /usr/games/el.x86.linux.bin to _el.x86.linux.bin and replaced it with the binary from the general 1.8.0 Linux release. Using that binary the client runs no problem.

EDIT3:

The specific versions of the packages i tested are:

eternallands 1.8.0-2lenny1

eternallands-cvs 1.8.0-3lenny1

The packages were able to resolve all their dependencies from the testing/squeeze repository.

EDIT4:

I've noticed that the server selection GUI included in the package (which uses zenity) does not appear on top of other windows when used on Ubuntu 8.10. This is a code change in the zenity application which is under discussion for reverting back.

A small side-note; i am experiencing this issue.

The zenity package from testing repo i have installed is version 2.26.0-1, i have 'focus stealing prevention' in compiz turned off... guess they haven't reverted back.

Edited by Korrode

Just installed Debian packages on Squeeze/Testing, worked fine :P* ...just one thing; is it necessary that eternallands-sound be a dependency of the main package?

The sound package is only a "Recommends:" dependency so you can avoid installing it using the aptitude switch "--without-recommends" or "-R". I think you can set a global flag to stop all "Recommends:" dependency installs but I don't know what that is without searching.

Seems it's not compiz causing an issue (i tried without compiz running). When i run eternallands or eternallands-cvs from a terminal, when it crashes (which happens after the server selector, when the client is initally loading, just before the login prompt), i get this output:
~$ eternallands
/usr/games/eternallands: line 149:  9560 Segmentation fault	  /usr/games/el.x86.linux.bin $config $* >&~/.elc/terminal_log.txt

I wonder if this a a proper bug, a build issue or a lenny/squeeze clash.... Are you running 32 or 64 bit Debian? Have you tried a build from CVS or the package source? If not, would you be willing to try?

The zenity package from testing repo i have installed is version 2.26.0-1, i have 'focus stealing prevention' in compiz turned off... guess they haven't reverted back.[/size]

The Ubuntu package has certainly been fixed, my Debian box is still on lenny/stable so I don't know about testing/squeeze.

The sound package is only a "Recommends:" dependency so you can avoid installing it using the aptitude switch "--without-recommends" or "-R". I think you can set a global flag to stop all "Recommends:" dependency installs but I don't know what that is without searching.

Ah ok, my bad, i had it in my head that by default recommended packages were not installed.

I wonder if this a a proper bug, a build issue or a lenny/squeeze clash.... Are you running 32 or 64 bit Debian? Have you tried a build from CVS or the package source? If not, would you be willing to try?

I'm running 32bit.

Build package from source attempt:

added to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb-src http://www.twinmoons.org.uk/pkg/debian/ ./

~$ sudo apt-get install binutils build-essential fakeroot
~$ sudo apt-get build-dep eternallands
~$ apt-get -b source eternallands

Compilation began... all seemed to be going fine until this:

LINK el.x86.linux.bin
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGL
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [el.x86.linux.bin] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/korrode/el_deb_build_test/eternallands-1.8.0'
make[1]: *** [release] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/korrode/el_deb_build_test/eternallands-1.8.0'
make: *** [build-stamp] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2
Build command 'cd eternallands-1.8.0 && dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc' failed.
E: Child process failed

Which after a little searching led me to install the nvidia-glx-dev package, then i tried again and the compilation completed successfully.

The package i built installed and worked \o/

Here's a copy:

http://www.paradoxcomputers.com.au/squeeze...lenny1_i386.deb

Just the binary it produced:

http://www.paradoxcomputers.com.au/squeeze...e_build.tar.bz2

If you need logs of the build process or anything bluap just lmk. :(

(Or even if you want to provide some modifications for the eternallands_1.8.0-2lenny1.dsc file (and/or wherever version info changes need to be) and i can compile it for usage as a 'preliminary squeeze package' or some such, np)

Also, does the fact i needed a library from nvidia-glx-dev mean the package would only work for people with nvidia cards?

EDIT:

Also just fyi, i tried uninstalling the nvidia-glx-dev package and running the EL binary, to see if somehow a dependency for the binary to execute was in nvidia-glx-dev, and it still ran fine.

Edited by Korrode

Ah ok, my bad, i had it in my head that by default recommended packages were not installed.

The default is to include recommended packages, but you can easily change that from the options menu in the curses interface to aptitude (run aptitude as root with no command-line options).

That is about the first thing I do when installing a Debian/Ubuntu system. I always skip "tasksel" and manually select packages/tasks in Aptitude, after disabling that option.

EDIT:

Also just fyi, i tried uninstalling the nvidia-glx-dev package and running the EL binary, to see if somehow a dependency for the binary to execute was in nvidia-glx-dev, and it still ran fine.

Any *-dev dependancies are only needed to compile packages. They include the correct header files for the libs that are in the base package (without the -dev).

My assumption in this case is that there is an incompatibility between the version of libs (specifically the OpenGL parts) in bluap's packages and those of the Nvidia drivers installed on your machine.

The default is to include recommended packages, but you can easily change that from the options menu in the curses interface to aptitude (run aptitude as root with no command-line options).

^^

+GUInub way; "Consider recommended packages as dependencies" checkbox in Synaptic's preferences :(

My assumption in this case is that there is an incompatibility between the version of libs (specifically the OpenGL parts) in bluap's packages and those of the Nvidia drivers installed on your machine.

Hmmm... one thing that points to that not being the case is that the nvidia packages in Squeeze/Testing are still the exact same ones as in Lenny/Stable... only Sid has newer versions.

Hmmm... one thing that points to that not being the case is that the nvidia packages in Squeeze/Testing are still the exact same ones as in Lenny/Stable... only Sid has newer versions.

Yes, but possibly there is an incompatibility between the Mesa and the Nvidia libs... ?

(that is with the assumption that the package was compiled against the Mesa headers)

/me doesn't know quite enough about the hardware abstraction of X and apps running under it.

(damn typos)

Edited by Torg

Yes, but possibly there is an incompatibility between the Mesa and the Nvidia libs... ?

(that is with the assumption that the package was compiled against the Mesa headers)

The libglu1-mesa-dev package is in the dependency list for building the package from source, so probably right... guess bluap will know ^^

I assume a fresh Lenny install on a system w/ nvidia card and then trying to use the normal package would be the test to do... maybe soon i'll test that on one of the systems here... or free some space on my main workstation for a small partition.

The libglu1-mesa-dev package is in the dependency list for building the package from source, so probably right... guess bluap will know ^^

I assume a fresh Lenny install on a system w/ nvidia card and then trying to use the normal package would be the test to do... maybe soon i'll test that on one of the systems here... or free some space on my main workstation for a small partition.

This is proving to be a tricky one, I'm still trying to understand what's going on. Both the Debian (lenny on my machine) and Ubuntu (all releases using the launchpad servers) source packages build cleanly in a chroot (pbuilder) environment so it appears I have the source dependencies correct. I have a virtual machine updating to the latest squeeze as I type to investigate that environment. On my lenny box I have libgl1-mesa-dev installed which provides your missing /usr/lib/libGL.so. However, that package is not a build dependency on the el package so how it builds in the pbuilder environment is a bit unclear. Investigations continue......

The zenity package from testing repo i have installed is version 2.26.0-1, i have 'focus stealing prevention' in compiz turned off... guess they haven't reverted back.[/size]

The Ubuntu package has certainly been fixed, my Debian box is still on lenny/stable so I don't know about testing/squeeze.

Just fyi; this problem has disappeared now that i'm over fading windows and desktop cubes and have gone back to running OpenBox, instead of Compiz. :)

Just fyi; this problem has disappeared now that i'm over fading windows and desktop cubes and have gone back to running OpenBox, instead of Compiz. :P

Good news! I may still adjust the build dependencies to make sure the GL library links ok....

Sorry i was meaning the issue of the Launcher app (server chooser) not showing up on top of other windows when launched...

The binary from the lenny packages crashing remains no matter the window manager.

---

Out of curiosity; with the library dependencies, how exactly will you be able to deal that? as from what i can tell, which gl library is required for build is dependant on what video card driver one is running... and the nvidia-glx package apparently conflicts with the MESA package that contains the GL lib...?

Sorry i was meaning the issue of the Launcher app (server chooser) not showing up on top of other windows when launched...

The binary from the lenny packages crashing remains no matter the window manager.

Ah, oh well. :)

Out of curiosity; with the library dependencies, how exactly will you be able to deal that? as from what i can tell, which gl library is required for build is dependant on what video card driver one is running... and the nvidia-glx package apparently conflicts with the MESA package that contains the GL lib...?

When I said that I thought that your package version crashing had been resolved. The binary dependencies are automatically generated when the package is built and this shows a choice of dependencies for the graphics libraries (separated by |). The build dependencies are specified manually and there is currently a lack of GL dependency. However, I'm still confused as the package builds fine in a pbuild environment (a bare bones environment that has the baseline of packages, no more).