Sign in to follow this  
Happy_G

do animals have a soul?

Do animals have a soul?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do animals have a soul?

• yes
    • no

ok, my girlfriend and i dont agree on this so im asking you guys, no discusion is needed i just want your opinion.

if your answer isnt yes, and isnt no, then just dont vote, thank you :o

I'd like to think that they had souls. Well, if you can't exist without a soul, then all living things do. I'm confusing myself so I'll stop talking now lol =_=

Guest Tubby

Well I think they do. It's not like animals and human beings are different from each other. Okay so maybe physically, but altogether every living organism is a creature or race, homosapians just happen to be ahead of all other creatures in evolution. For example if you study chimpanzees, they display forms of leadership, love, hatred, and all kinds of different emotions and feelings.

So yes I do believe animals have souls. :o

I think someone needs to specify a definition for soul. I'm not sure everyone is thinking the same thing.

I'm of the opinion (from various teachings) that humans are made of three parts:

1. A physical body.

2. A soul which includes: mind, will, and emotions. You might also call it personality.

3. A spirit which is that eternal aspect (if you believe in that). The part that lives on after the physical body dies.

Some might also argue that you need to be self-aware to have a soul (which might rule out the family cat from having one).

Do animals (I assume we mean mammals) have a soul? Even with a definition like the above, I'm not sure.

1. the principle of life, feeling, thought, and action in humans, regarded as a distinct entity separate from the body, and commonly held

to be separable in existence from the body; the spiritual part of humans as distinct from the physical part.

2. the spiritual part of humans regarded in its moral aspect, or as believed to survive death and be subject to happiness or misery in a

life to come: arguing the immortality of the soul.

3. the disembodied spirit of a deceased person: He feared the soul of the deceased would haunt him.

I don't believe in souls as described above, so no, i don't think animals have them.

incredible to think humans believe they themselves have a soul , and yet cant extend that same belief to another species.

and besides this topic is really about the question : which spiritual philosophy do you subscribe to ?

Ask any of the 3 dominant religions and the answer will most likely be no, animals are food and cant possibly be spiritual beings.

Ask a pagan, buddhist, hindu or other more Earthy philosophy and you'll probably get a yes, animals also have the spark of life that we call divine inside them, as do all living things.

But then again, I think the question should not be do animals have a soul but rather:

How easy is it to brainwash a human into believing anything you want them to ?

“A human being is part of a whole, called by us the ‘Universe,’ a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.”

- Albert Einstein

I feel that we do not have a soul in the religious sense yet have an infinite connection with everything in our universe, even after death.

In short, the law of conservation of energy states that energy can not be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another or transferred from one body to another, but the total amount of energy remains constant (the same).

-Wikipedia

So even after any living thing has died the energy which made up its body will just be recycled and will "live forever" in a sense.

Edited by Revelation

no1 hav souls

:P

I must agree... That's the way I see it. Nobody has a soul.

But I'm not going to explain because that would take us to a different level of philosophy ^^

I didn't vote as I assumed that your question is only valid after agreeing that humans have a soul.

If you believe that humans do have souls, you also need to accept, that animals have it either. After all, human is a mammal, very similar to certain species, more or less to others, but in the essence, all living things behave the same. Any living thing keeps itself reproducing, thus ensuring the contiuity of species in being.

However, I do not believe in souls, nor have any known religion, so the answer to the poll is NO.

Instead of focusing on religious things, people should focus on developing its self. Humans have one of the most complicated things in known universe, the brain. Let's advance in using it...

I didn't vote as I assumed that your question is only valid after agreeing that humans have a soul.

this would be the best way to go if you dont think humans have a soul. just dont vote.

This is pretty interesting actually lol. At my HS, (we're a college-prep, project based school) we're doing our first big exhibition project (it's what they call them) on the California propositions. Being a animal lover, I of course chose Prop 2. (Giving farm animals the room to move and stretch around in for the majority of the day) I dunno how it came up, but my friend said it didn't matter since animals don't have emotions and couldn't feel anything... So I asked to see his hand, and as he reached out, I grabbed his Pen and poked him with it. :devlish: He screamed and asked me wtf I did it for and my reply was "Oh, I guess animals do have feelings" xD ok that was random but I thought I'd share it :pickaxe:

To Californians: Vote yes on Prop 2 \o\ \o/ /o/

edit: oh it was a pretty sharp pen in case you're wondering D:

Edited by swordofflame

I love animals and i say they have a soul. I have a cat and she is very nice and she always walks around with a smile :icon13:

smiling_cat.jpg

Edited by time4u2die

lol, you are a nut Sword

lolz xD mebbe :icon13: but it was the only thing I could do to prove my point without actually hitting him lol. It pissed me off when he said animals have no feelings T.T

first you must ask: do humans have souls?

we are just like other animals except alot smarter,

i vote no because i dont beleive there is such thing as a soul

I don't believe or disbelieve in the concept of a 'soul' or 'spirit', but i don't place human life on such a high pedestal over other life as some people do.

I have my personal views on whats ok and accept certain things as 'just the way things work' in our reality (i.e. the killing of humans in war or self defence, the killing of animals for food)... but beyond those stipulations, i afford humans no more rights than i do animals.

So, i cant vote in the poll, but my sentiment is that i disagree with anyone trying to justify malice towards animals under the reasoning of "they don't have a soul".

this would be the best way to go if you dont think humans have a soul. just dont vote.

Not sure why you came up with this suggestion.

The poll qeustion is if animals have a soul and not "If you believe humans have a soul, do you believe animals have a sould too?".