Eternal Lands Official Forums
sywren

Anyone up for Capture the Flag?

I orginally posted this under Handy's event and we started talking about it on the server, so the idea has grown a bit:

Well, here was my idea for capture the flag (it would of course involve MrHide's help, so he'll have to approve it):

Players breaks into two teams (which should be easy since we're a small server). MrHide places two creatures in small, known locations (say a house outside the city in PL and the potion house up north). The object is to protect your invaded creature while killing the other team's. Obviously the only real prize can be drops and PK itself, but I think it could be fun, particularly with storage being PK. The city itself provides a nice neutral territory.

There could be two designated Team Leaders who make up a channel and let everyone on their team know (again, #ci tells us if we have spies), make up strategies, share resources, etc... It might require some guild shifting for the day.

Lower level players could run around setting mines or just dying and reporting where so-and-so is (recon). Mid-level players could band together, and high-level players could be strategically placed to do the most damage. The idea is that all of the players could be used.

Here's what we've come up with:

1. We might have to play twice. once with high level mobs (cocktrice perhaps) as flag and once with low level (shy rat that won't attack?)

2. We need team captains to spit the teams.

3. We need find a day when most of us can play.

In order to split the teams neatly, I'd like to nominate Woodeh and Handyman as team leaders.

NOTE: until they accept, they are NOT team captains. Therefore, you can't jump up and say "I'm on Woodeh's team!" Just say if you'd like to play and when you're usually online.

that would be really something :)

Just to kick, maybe around usual time of MrHide's invasions (can't recall when that was anymore :()

Handyman usually has to work on weekends... I wonder if this can be held during week days.

I would like to participate, but i don't want to say I will because I don't know if I can (time/RL issues atm)

gratz on the idea Sy :)

Sounds interesting, but the only problem is, if i invade a creature, it will attack you.

Except shy rats, since they tend to run away.

So your chance to protect the *flag* from getting killed is very low (like zero).

It might be better to use a low leveled player as the *flag* and try to protect that player.

Anyways, nice idea, Sy, work on it and i will try to help you hosting that contest (but i can't guarantee that i have the time in advance, so lets do it with advertisement just a few days (or even hours) in advance, maybe i can be here and help)

I'd like to play im online on saturdays and sundays and fridays after 4:00PM (i live in melbourne so it's GMT+10) sometimes during the week

It might be better to use a low leveled player as the *flag* and try to protect that player.
Both Handy and I have chars specifically kept weak for use in contests. If the "flag" didn't have to be played (could just stand there) it would be simple for us to each log in our alts and place them in the specified locations.

Both Handy and I have chars specifically kept weak for use in contests. If the "flag" didn't have to be played (could just stand there) it would be simple for us to each log in our alts and place them in the specified locations.

Boy, Kaldoon, or Grendel would all work. The other nice aspect of using a player is that we could put a prize on him (gc would work best so that the winning team could split it). If we really wanted to spice it up, we could put the team captain in the room as the flag with certain limitations and rules (ie: he can't go to storage, but teammates could bring him stuff, etc...). If we used a creature other than shy rat, we wouldn't be able to go into the house, so we'd have to protect from the outside.

I think any of the above would be interesting play and, of course, we could hold the event more than once and these types of variations would help to vary up the strategy so that each time we play it's a different game.

I'm glad you like the idea, MrHide! You're sort of a key player. :D

I'm On Woodeh's team!

LMMFAO!!! Okay.. Yes I am kidding LOL :)

I would love to play.. But let me come up with some money first so I can buy some rosto's from teh Man :D

I can't wait to die! WOOT WOOT :)

Sounds like fun but i would not be a good choice as team leader due to my work and RL commitments

I am on call alot but would try to make it if not working

Handy

Sounds like fun but i would not be a good choice as team leader due to my work and RL commitments

I am on call alot but would try to make it if not working

Handy

Anyone volunteer to be team captain? Yaser? Gambit?

Woodeh, does that mean you'll be a team leader?

I figure we can decide the date and time once we have both team leaders chosen since it will be important that they and MrHide can all be on at the same time.

Woodeh has agreed to be a team captain, so feel free to claim if you want to be on his team!

Next, we still need another captain. Once we do, we can narrow down the times.

I'm thinking of the following times:

Thursday 11:00 am Texas time (16:00 GMT)

Friday 5:00 pm Texas time (22:00 GMT)

Sunday sometime between noon and 7:00 pm Texas time (17:00-0:00 GMT)

It's best if we can say "All of these times work" or "Thursday and Sunday are fine" etc... instead of choosing just one time. Of course, if none of these times work, we wan to know that, too! Keep in mind that we are accommodating a half-American, half-European server.

I'm @work for the Thursday and Friday times. I can make the last 5 hours of the Sunday time-slot (after noon pacific time).

As to what team, I don't care. If I can make the final time selected, whoever wants an ebul brownie killer I guess.

It is looking like Sunday, September 27th at 22:00 GMT works for most people. Australia (ie Cycrosism) would have to wake up pretty early (I think it's 9:00 am there). That would make it 6:00 Texas time (I think) and around midnight in Germany (not quite sure how daylight savings is working in some countries, so it's a guess).

What do we think?

None of the times will work for me :P

I don't know at which times I will be able to play, depends on how late we eat, if i have to get up early the next morning. Or whether I'm at my parents or not.

I can participate if I'm online tho ;P does that work?

ProHibited

None of the times will work for me :P

I don't know at which times I will be able to play, depends on how late we eat, if i have to get up early the next morning. Or whether I'm at my parents or not.

I can participate if I'm online tho ;P does that work?

ProHibited

This seems pretty to be the case pretty much across the board, so we'll just have to see who's on on Sunday and up for a game.

Congratulations Sy :o

It happened and it was fun. For a first time it was very nice, although very fast.

Suggestions for next one(s):

Chose the map and flag location previously (easier and faster to get it started)

Use an item that has to be stolen and brought back (ie: Sword), as it makes the event longer and creates more situations where people can engage to steal and try to recover the flags

Lets keep this one and improve it ppl :whistle:

yes was VERY FUN! :o

Also have to keep in mind the "can't attack people for 10 seconds" rule when they enter a map. Hannibal tried to get me I think but he couldn't attack me in time.

maybe we can post possible options for the locations? and we can discuss which would be good?

we can switch it up each time....

Thank you sy for the Awesome game.. was soooo much fun! :whistle: Thank you all for making it fun! :P

Edited by kit_gw

Grats Kit on capturing the flag for your team!

The more I think about it, the more I'm seeing other options for game play. Segor's idea for returning with the flag is a good one. I have two pirate scarves that would make great flags. We could use Boy and Kaldoon to stand over the bags and refresh them.

I know many of us came up with other strategies, so this is going to be an expensive week of preparation for me.

I had this idea too: "Kill your own spawn the fastest." We break into teams and try to kill a giant or other creature before the other team kills theirs. No rules (ie: feel free to kill the other team and heal their spawn). A dragon may be a bit tricky, but we can talk about it. What do you think?

We got a server update tonight (9/30). It appears we have the no-drop KF change (but we still have the merc spawn). This gives us a new option in team games where people can feel free to play because they won't drop their limited supplies/armor/weapons. So those of us who die fast don't need to worry about stuff being lost.

I think it's a great idea to have it in KF, but don't forget:

If you want to use your fighter char, buy an MM cloak before Sunday!

So here's the current plan for this Sunday's CTF (capture the flag):

We'll break into two teams again starting at 4:00 Texas time (pretty sure that's 20:00 GMT), same as last week.

Boy (10/14/38/8 a/d/p/c) can be one flag, and Kaldoon (16/13 a/d with 48/16 p/c)

will be the other.

Each flag will have a bag at their feet containing a pirate scarf (The Pirate Team) or a red scarf (The Bloods?).

Your team's objective is to get both the other team's flag in a bag within the parameters of your team's base.

The bases are Fort Garison (upper level), and Fort Bourq (all).

At the start of the game, all team members must be at their base. Hopefully MrHide can let us know when to begin.

Remember:

There are no rules against summons, potions, magic, teleports, ranging, or any other strategy you can come up with, so prepare whatever you'd like.

Now go do some reconnaissance!

PS: please return my flags so we can keep playing!

PPS: decoy scarves are not allowed.

PPPS: does anyone have a red scarf we can use?

Edited by sygon

I think it's a great idea to have it in KF, but don't forget:

If you want to use your fighter char, buy an MM cloak before Sunday!

6kgc and I might be able to help someone else :P