Eternal Lands Official Forums
Nintenduh

MobilEL

I'm not in front of my 'puter as much as I used to :D I almost always have my cell phone within reaching distance though.

I know there was a JAVA client in the works but I haven't heard much about it. Also talk about SMS stuffage.

I can play EL on a Palm TX with VNC but the graphics suck.

What are the hurdles preventing EL from having a mobile cient and is it possible? What is the likelyhood of a mobile version of EL?

I am working right now on a bot which will give you acces via a telnet client to EL. google for mutelnet, that one telnet client is working on some mobile phones.

Right now, the bot is working fine with a telnet client under linux, but not with mutelnet >.<

And it's just a chat client, but that should be fine for using it on a mobile phone.

Well, give me some time and it might work, and if Radu allows it to be official, you can at least chat with your friends in EL using your mobile phone :D

Piper

Cool :D

I was thinking of a top-down client that would allow you to harvest/trade/mix/attack. Is that possible?

Edit: Like old-school Zelda or something...

Edited by Nintenduh

maybe not the trade and stuff harvest would be great enough... its just how to move...

i would love this guys

would give me something to do during class when im bored.... even if its just chatting

the whole being able to text with out looking dont hurt either ;P

i have tried to put el on my cell before lol didnt work :pickaxe:

Edited by zipher4

I think chat would be the easiest thing to implement. What would be cool is if you could buy elSMS packs (Invasion warnings, PM's and #GM's) of like 20/50/100 from the EL shop.

The reason why there is no EL mobile is that:

1. We need a whole team for that (artists, programmers, map makers), since we can not run 3d programs like EL on a cellphone/pda (at an acceptable frame rate). It is unlikely that this will change in the next 5-10 years.

2. Cellphones do not usually have a real keyboard and large screen, making chatting pretty difficult, and playing the game would suck.

Couldn't you use existing artwork? Just render a top-down 2D image of 3D models?

As mobile devices become more powerful, is it possable for the standard EL client to run on one?

Lots of phones/PDA's have a qwerty keyboard or touch screen interface.

In some maps you'd just see the green from the trees. Many flowers grow directly at trees and can't therefore be seen. Sometimes a lever is beneath a stone arch and therefor hidden in top-down view.

All objects in EL are currently 3D objects. So you'd either need to render 3D again or use prerendered images. But you can't create prerendered images for all possible rotations of objects.

One could still create a client with just icon like images of harvestables, actors and some objects like the old SNES RPGs did but you can't show all objects there and then you'd still need to decide which objects are important to show and which are not. Maybe you'll miss some bucket, a stone or a lever that's important because it would teleport you somewhere.

And the most imortant thing: Someone has to program it.

I'd like to see it too but I think the amount of work exceeds the benefits.

The current EL client seems to already work on EEE PCs. Maybe there's a way to create an IPhone port based on the OSX port. But with the small size of those devices there'll be a usability problem too. The user interface would need to adjust to those devices but at least that is easy compared to creating a whole new client.

Edited by ago

EL uses a lot of "blended" objects. Which causes all sorts of trouble I suspect :P

For a mobile client, couldn't transparency be used?

Edit: I could be talking out of my arse but on the server side isn't EL simple?

Edited by Nintenduh

I think the playing the current EL client in a top-down view would not work properly even with transparency. You'll either have full 3D or you'd have to think of a different way to display things. And that includes new/different artwork.

But the most important issue still remains: someone has to code that client

Edited by ago

Why put so much effort into something that only applies to a small population of EL?

I am not a programer

though It should be fairly simple to port a gpl IM client to talk to friends on eternal.lands/port2000 etc

though I am be completly wrong, as I say I am not a programer, but it should be possible to do, at least as a chat-only client. might be nice for some people to use that feature from there Iblackberry.

And there is another obstacle. Some mobile carriers block port 2000 to prevent the customers from using VOIP clients.

That's not really a problem. A gateway like Learner's proxy could be used. Traffic would be low anyways if, since it would most likely stripped down to the chat part.

I'd really like to see piper's telnet bot!

Well, I have an Acer One (google if you don't know what that is), and the game is barely playable (about 4-12 FPS with most of the things turned off). And that thing has a screen 4 times bigger than a cellphone, a full keyboard, touchpad, etc.

Playing EL on a 320x240 screen would be enjoyable only for the true masochists.