Eternal Lands Official Forums
The_Piper

A passive mail system on PK server

Do you want a passive mail system on the PK server?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a passive mail system on the PK server?

• Yes
    • No
    • Something different (please explain)

During a short chat, some ppl mentioned to have a passive mail system on the PK server might be a nice idea.

Passive means, you can send mails and you can check your mailbox manually for new mails, no automated notification like gossip does.

Years ago i added such a feature to EternalTrivia, but then gossip came out and i stopped working on that, but the code is still there.

You can try it on the main server right now.

/EternalTrivia mails <== checks your mailbox

/EternalTrivia mailto playername hello :P<== stores a mail for playername

If option "Yes" wins, i offer to ask Radu for permission to run EternalTrivia on the PK server, so you can use that simple mail system there (and play EternalTrivia too, of course \ö/) All i need to do is to start a 2nd instance of the bot, thats it, no additional work needed.

If option "No" wins, i am not going to ask Radu, no mail system wanted then.

If the third option wins, we will see what happens. :)

So vote and/or post your suggestions, comments, other/better ideas here!

Piper

Would it be possible to have EternalTrivia PM a reminder to people with pending messages every 1-3 hours (for those to forgetful or lazy to check)? It would server as a reminder to get your messages.

Another thought would be to post something to a public channel (@1, @3 or a new one) every few hours. Something like: [EternalTrivia @ 1] The following people have messages: bkc56, the_piper.

In either case, I think the reminders should time-out after say a week, and the messages should time-out after perhaps a month. This would help keep the back-log from growing without bounds.

Something different

my vote is just due to the fact that what exists atm would be hard to get used to use, at least in the beginning

you can send mails and you can check your mailbox manually for new mails, no automated notification like gossip does.

bkc already mentioned it, would be perfect if the code could be upgraded to send a message to players on log on or every 1h.

Apart from all the rest, wtg Piper ;)

voted yes

will it be possible to send between servers?

Gambit

Right now, no.

But, of course, there the bot could send messages from one server to the other one. Thats just more work, but at least only a question of time, if Radu allows it.

Piper

I agree with Pro. I voted yes if there will be some kind of automated reminder system to let people know they have pending messages.

Yes from me too. I can just try to make it a habit to check msgs after I log on. I'd also make it clear to all that msgs to me and not my alts is the way to go!

Ok, latest idea:

o more or less passive mail system

o "mails" checks your mailbox

o "mailto" stores a mail to another player

o "notify" turns on hourly notification via PM (default)

o "nonotify" turns off hourly PM notification about new mails

o mails will stay for one week, after that, they will be deleted

Comments? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Piper

mails will stay for one week, after that, they will be deleted
I'd suggest two weeks at least. It's not uncommon for people to be gone a week just for a vacation/trip. Somewhere between two weeks and a month would be a good time.

Other than that, the rest looks fantastic.

Thanks to Radu, EternalTrivia is now up and running on the PK server.

Join channel 124 to play a trivia game.

Mail commands are:

o mails <- checks your mailbox.

o mailto playername message <- stores a mail to playername

o notify <- enables a PM notification every hour about new mails (default)

o nonotify <- turns off the automated notifying.

Have fun with it!

Piper

Edit: You must send a PM to EternalTrivia with the mail commands, like /EternalTrivia mails

The_Piper could you please update the first post with a list of all the commands used in this system?

I posted a link on the blog and I also believe that if the list is made people might get used to it faster.

Is the system being used by a fair ammount of the PK Server players or a bit forgoten? I know I had forget a bit about it till today.

Edited by Segor

The_Piper could you please update the first post with a list of all the commands used in this system?

I posted a link on the blog and I also believe that if the list is made people might get used to it faster.

Is the system being used by a fair ammount of the PK Server players or a bit forgoten? I know I had forget a bit about it till today.

mails and mailto are the actual commands, just PM EternalTrivia like in the examples in the first post.

And since the bot doesnt log any infos about mails, no idea how often it is used.

Piper