Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Polymorph ideas

Before giving any feedback, READ!

Ok, I will need some feedback for the shape shifting/polymorph thing, but first a description on how it will work:

When you are polymorphed, you are not allowed to wear any items, and you can't polymorph if you are wearing items.

Every 30 seconds, you will need to eat a generic 'pets food' that will be auto eaten from your inventory. Once you run out of food, you will revert back to your normal form. This pets food will be created by the potion skill, and will be relatively cheap (maybe 10-20 gc or so). This numbers are not absoulte, they can change. Different pets will eat a different amount of food, the mule will eat less than a phoenix.

While you are polymorphed, you will retain your normal skills and attributes, but you will get some bonuses and possibly penalties depending on which creature you polymorph into.

While polymorphed, you will not get experience in a/d. Harvesting and manufacture will be allowed and you will get experience.

To get experience for each creature type, all you need to do is stay in that shape for as long as possible. There will be probably 10 levels for each creature, and the higher your level, the more bonuses you get as that creature. A low level in a specific creature might cause you to fail polymorphing, losing the polymorph token.

I basically have 3 ideas of polymorph/pets:

Mule: increased EMU

Phoenix: hp regeneration every 10 seconds (maybe something like 10-20 points per 10 seconds, depending on the level), and a chance (40-70%) to respawn full health when you die at the position where you died (similar to the day of the dead, but higher chance)

Woodsprite: Harder to hit (defense bonus), very hard to see.

Now, I need some other ideas, for other creatures. For example, the mini dragon thingy.

I don't want to overdo it with the polymorpg creatures, I think 5 kinds should be more than enough. But if you have some ideas about other creatures and how they would work, please post here AND argument on why they would be good.

According to the woodsprite I think it would be good to have Cyclops too with an attack bonus. It's great and strong.

White rabbit: Charm bonus (yea, everyone likes white bunnies). Could be useful for summoners?

You have to keep in mind that you can't wear anything while polymorphed, so an attack bonus will probably not compensate for the lack of gear (unless if it is a huge bonus, and I don't want that).

Leprechaun: When polymorphed in this form, gives a version of the artificer perk, increased luck. There is a penalty of decreased emu. You stated you can use the mix window when polymorphed, so this would be one idea on how to use that with the polymorphing ability.. plus people would actually use it. Alternatively.. you can have the leprechaun morph be for alchemy/potions and the brownie be for manu/crafting.

Goblin: When polymorphed, there is a chance of stealing an item out of a player's inventory when fighting. The chance increases as the goblin's polymorph level increases. The penalty could be decreased defense. (You're too worried about trying to steal something, you leave yourself more vunerable to attack). Alternatively, perhaps the goblin could chill around a crowded area, and each minute it stands there (perhaps same code could be used that causes the crowd sound to activate), there's a chance to steal an item from the surrounding inventory. The downside.. the goblin should have decreased emu.. and PKable :D

Baby Dragons: Bonus in a/d.. plus the damage dealt by the dragons is dependent on the color. The pink dragon could deal thermal.. the gray deals magic.. and the blue deals radiation/poison. Penalty.. don't need one. If people are going to use this to fight... they can't get any additional bonuses from weapons/armors/etc.

Just a few off the top of my head.. I'll see if I can come up with more.

Edited by Acelon

Cheetah- increases walking speed, perception increase, decreases defense and decreases emu.

And how about the phoenix can fly over stuff that isn't to tall.

Hawk (or Falcon)

Bonus

Ability to see great distances (sees better at night, perhaps also having true-sight). Would make a good scout for a PK party.

Very hard to engage (if possible, otherwise just hard to hit) since you can't reach it. Normal vulnerability to to magic and ranging.

Penalty

Uses food at a "power hungry" rate (takes a lot of energy to fly around).

Possible decreased EMU (due to small size).

According to the woodsprite I think it would be good to have Cyclops too with an attack bonus. It's great and strong.

You have to keep in mind that you can't wear anything while polymorphed, so an attack bonus will probably not compensate for the lack of gear (unless if it is a huge bonus, and I don't want that).

Instead of going down the attack/defense bonus route, would it be an option to use the attributes ?

ie : The Cyclops in question would get +10 phys and vit (to max 58) and (since one eye ;p ) -10 coord/Reas . Then the Clop's damage could be as the creature is now plus any attribute bonuses from the player, granted it would need testing to see if it was overpowered but imo be better than just adding att or def bonuses

I like Acelon's ideas. But particualrly the idea's about how the mini dragon would work and the leprechaun.

However I would change the Leprechaun to an Imp for part of it.

If you go to the potions god temple and even the manu god's temple you can find imp's there. I think it would be nice to carry that imp theme over. Give them soemthing like the arti perk, basically make them luckier. I would also think with their deminutive size they would have a lower emu. And as they have a tendency to go mostly unclothed I would also think that they would be more suseptable to damage from cold, radiation or even poison. As they do give off heat damage I would think that they would be less suseptable to that.

Alternativly I would keep the leprechaun alchemy and crafting. Anyone who has killed a few little lucky men have gotten a gold ring or soemthing "crafty". Perhaps because of their luck they are less likely to affected by poison if they injest shrooms.

Of course, it seems like you have the baby dragon, the wood sprite, the mule, and the pheonix. That leaves one creature if you only have 5 possible polymorphic creatures.

The wood sprite could have a slight alchemy and maybe potions bonus. I would assume a wood sprite would be "one with nature", and perhaps being more intune with nature they would be luckier then other creatures.

Hm, guin's comments brings up a good point. You want them to have a bonus where people will actually want to use them.

For example, the wood sprite's original suggested "features" would be good for the first few levels, but there should be more perks for it as you increase. Such as... immunity to all map damage (poison/heat/cold/etc)... giving it true sight (one polymorph should have this) and then when it's fully leveled.. then maybe it has the advanced artificer perk. Note, I am saying this not know how hard it will be to level your polymorphed form.

The mule can start off with the high emu.. and as it levels.. get higher emu.. and then have a built in MM perk at later levels. The mule is pretty straightforward.. people will use it no matter what as long as the emu bonus is good. Perhaps at higher levels, you can increase the harvest range for certain items (sit further away, that way mules don't crowd a harvestable).

The Phoenix, in my opinion, needs developed more. The idea is good for the hp generation and the chance to have the "Day of the Dead" bonus to occur, but there needs to be more reason to use it at higher levels. Basically, this sounds like a fighting polymorph, but without the equipment and the a/d experience, I don't think it would be used. Since Phoenix are, obviously, known for their healing abilities, perhaps this is the time to implement an allied healing spell, only castable by the phoenix at higher levels. Perhaps it could also be installed with the careful guy perk, self destruct perk (since when phoenix's die, they burst into flame), and perhaps a "fire shield" where every time they receive a hit from an opponent, they are burned by it's flames.

The baby dragons, would be a problem, in this case, if you went with my other idea. How did you picture using these dragons? Three separate tokens/polymorphs or no? I can update my idea based upon the plan for them.

The goblin/thief idea could start out with a 20% chance of stealing an item from someone in a 7+ person crowd each minute while they are still PKable. With each level, the amount of people needed to be considered a crowd could be decreased, the chance can raise, and the time limit could decrease. (Only issue I see with his is someone like asgnny could polymorph into a goblin, and doesn't matter who he tries stealing from, he can still pretty much own a lot of people :D. Another perk you can add onto the goblin (going along with the sneaky theme) they might be able to disable mines/traps.

Fox- Increased Stealth, speed, base attack, and reaction. Lowered Defence, carry capacity, and toughness. Good for raids ^^

-----------------------------

I'm stuck on the idea of a Harpy or Angel ^^'

Doesn't attract aggressive monsters: for an angel because it is seen as a symbol of peace, and for a harpy because it is a very intimidating creature.

Either would fly just over the ground.

Harpy would have increased attack/lowered defence while an angel would have increased defense/lowered attack.

Angels would be better in alchemy versus a Harpy's enhanced summoning.

Harpy's would be able to wield weapons and angels could wear armor.

Neither could wear cloaks or medallions.

I'm sure either of these ideas would be difficult to complete.. But then they're just that- Ideas. Please Comment ^^

Ooh, ooh! I like the penguins!!! Me wanna be a penguin! Maybe cold damage and maybe increased charm or luck...they are pretty darned cute! Possibly power-saving/less food consumed? They go for long stretches of time without eating. Just a thought :D

Llyn

PS Can't wait to get pic of radu as penguin! :)

Edited by Llynara

Since lepucauns are generally seen as rich and lucky, why not make them have a 5-10% increase to find a gold bag when they are harvesting and on top of that make it times 10 the base amount of gold, just my 2 cents :D

i think we should definitly have a cheetah as time suggested, many people hate the slow walking and would definitly use this polymorph alot.

and as acelon suggested we should have leprechauns, will also be used alot.

i still say we should have like one a/d monster possibly cycs, but am happy we at least got mule

Well guys, no offense, but since there are only going to be around 5 polymorphs, would you really use one of your suggested polymorphs for your suggested reason?

Well guys, no offense, but since there are only going to be around 5 polymorphs, would you really use one of your suggested polymorphs for your suggested reason?

i agree, the 5 i would say would be most useful and most used are:

mule

phonix

leprechaun

cheetah

not sure on 5th

but all of them must be useful, otherwise players wont bother useing it, this is just my opinion

wood sprite- natural creature/one with nature.

Why not have that creature be good at havresting. Perhaps they can havrest something they haven't read the book for. Or maybe they have an exc perk. Or they ahev something like the harvester medallion. MN is much mroe likely to um, "communicate" with them. Both harshly and nicely.

And maybe an imp or dragon or pheonix is NOT affected by astrology. Hey, its a creature of pure magic (in my mind anyway), why not allow it to skim over the affects of astrology. Some people like astrology, it can be nice at times or not so nice. Other take the skeptic perk. But if you say have really good astrology one day, you decide to turn into an imp or leaprchaun to put your chances of producing an enriched essense or modable weapon or soemthing of that sort. Well if you take astrology away you decrease the chance to make the rare item. Of course when someone's astro is bad you would increase their chances to make something rare. Additionally a creature of magic might be able to see through magic such as invisibility. They might also sort of "ignore" magic immunity and other spells that protect the castor ina fight. Of course conversly as they are creatures of magic they might be *more* affected by magic.

And personally, I think when someone is a mule they should have a random chance to leave behind a bag of dung where they were standing. Say as they haul something to sto. I also really like the idea of giving it the mm perk when it reaches a certain level.

It would be nice if you could increase the speed at which the wood sprite and mule moved. Perhaps a downside of being a mule would be you moved more slowly at first, tehna s you gained levels you would be able to move more quickly. Or *cringes* perhaps the mule has a tendency to stop mapwalking. Personally its how I go everywhere (particualrly when I am hauling something) and I usually read a book or study at the same time. So if something happens (aka, leo eats me) I don't notice it for a while. So a lazy mule might be accurate, and a downside of turning into one. You could also decrease perception on the mule. So you don't see as far when you are one.

As far as acelon's phenoix (particualrly) and goblin idea's are concerned I think tehy are very good. I particularly love the idea that the phenoix would be able to heal (maybe some type of "heal summoned" except allies. of course then you would have the problem of who are allies) and give fire damage whenever hit.

Well, those are just 2 more of my cents :D

wonderful work btw!!!

Um, it was stated in another topic the walking speed would more than likely not have different speeds, so a cheetah probably wouldn't happen.

How about morphing into an avatar of yourself?

A good reincarnation that can heal (or shield or make immune) for extra amounts yet has little a/d and needs to be protected by others (and perhaps appears all white?)

And an ebul reincarnation that has the ability to harm or md or poison for extra amounts and again has little a/d and needs to be protected (and appears all red?)

Um, it was stated in another topic the walking speed would more than likely not have different speeds, so a cheetah probably wouldn't happen.

yes i have read that post... i am only suggesting it, becuase i think it would be useful and use alot, just my opinion on it

yes i have read that post... i am only suggesting it, becuase i think it would be useful and use alot, just my opinion on it

Yeah, so would be many other things, not gonna happen.

Yeah, so would be many other things, not gonna happen.

ok

Warewolf - a good amount of reaction and dexterity and at night it has increased sight and is hard to see.

Hehe I like the idea of turning into a werewolf, the idea of being harder to see at night is good, but to make it worth using other than looking cool, I think it should have something like an 80% chance to crit, allowing you to hit almost everytime in combat (without a sword the damage won't be imbalanced). Downside can be low defense and maybe more damage taken. I think it will be very usefull for fighting stronger opponents.

Another option could be a vampire, also harder to see at night, and give them a life-drain ability, either a small amount taken with every hit, or a random chance to steal a large amount.

Also thought of a ghost, make it very hard to hit, and give it a random mana burn/drain attack (like the staff of the mage). Downside can be lower damage, lower accuracy and maybe the gelatine bones perk. Give it true-sight, and if you like, give it perma-invisibility, untill it attacks.

Just a few combat orientated idea's. Whatever the creatures may be, I love the idea of a polymorph skill. :)

Warewolf - a good amount of reaction and dexterity and at night it has increased sight and is hard to see.

I love this idea also!

.... and not only because my name means Werewolf ;) hehe

Lang :P