Eternal Lands Official Forums
Piggy

Getting More Players To Try PK Server

Stop thinking we have an elite bossing everyone around, what we have is a couple players that care about the server and not just themselves.

No I said the whole apparent 'community' is a bit pompous for people that play a computer game.

People that train several characters, in several skills, to provide the server with items that can only be made. Power leveling characters to serve the community gets you respect on the PK Server and those who are jealous come and flame the forums. (ie. Handyman and Yaser are top 5 a/d, top 5 manufacture, top 5 crafting, top 5/10 potion, etc...)

LOL, just an fyi no one is 'envious' or 'jealous' of you, and if you think so, its part of the

problem I'm trying to elaborate on, oh noble pioneers. If you need respect on any GAME server, then you need

... well probably a lot of things.

Oh I said:

I fully expect to be flamed for my reply, with most skimming it, and telling me to 'gfto or buy an account'.

And I got ( :icon13:)

Robotbob so why are you on the pk server forums ??

You keep threatening to come over here but never have the balls to actually do it

So instead you just try to ruin genuine threads

[snip]

Ok not a threat... you're totally screwed for new players if you think joining the server is a threat.

and I not 'ruining genuine threads' the odd part is you cannot

see the point I am trying to make at all. When you reply its only to highlight what I

am talking about, its a weird vicious circle.

But you will always get your robertbobs and paulb's sad i know but thats it (wouldn't surprise me if they were friends or guildies)

But anyone who knows us over here

Knows all the negative stuff is not true

See that is the funny part, he and I are probably as enemy as they come.

Ok, good luck. I'm trying to tell you your IMAGE of being a little petty group of people

who have labeled themselves the pioneers of the GAME server. Appears to many people like

something they would not want to spend $5 to be involved with. Piggy\Mugwump is a really nice guy, and

made a sincere thread in order to discuss how the pk server could entice more people. I try to

tell you part of what, at least for me, keeps me from even bothering, and I am met with the very thing

I would want to avoid in a game.

This is great advertising.

[Edit]

I won't post ever again on any thread related to or about the pk server.

Ill wait until the server count somehow reaches ~100 so I have a greater selection of people to

interact with. Sorry for interrupting the fiefdom

Edited by robotbob

Paul B was on here for 5 minutes but insisted of swearing and foul mouthing in channel (no just normal flame)

But soon left when everyone was on his case.

No great loss there

For your information I was on their for way more than 5 minutes and I had a total of 6 characters iirc.

And I didn't leave cause "everyone was on his case"

I left because most of the players on the PK server thought they could tell people how to talk.

Why would I support a "community" that thought they could dictate what everyone did?

In my opinion you certain few people there ruined it for yourselves.

:icon13:

Also just to be clear about this...

I was not the only one telling you to fuck off, and for good reason too :icon13:

My opinion on the above comment still stands btw :)

Edited by Paul Brown

I just dont get it... reading from your posts it says you dont want main server ppl reading this part of forums,

yet you ppl trying to advertise for PK Server, but if someone from the Main gives you their oppinion WHY they

are not sure about joining the server you only give him dung..

I for myself check this part of forums every once in a while, but personally never saw anything "pkish" get written here.

like "oh we had good fights in xxxx".

Instead im reading "i made first cutlass" and "i killed X amounts of yetis".

I mean of course those things are big achievements hence the cap, but if you want to advertise you may as well should show the community

on here how the pk is working out over there to give us a clue about how things run since its the PK server.

Anyways my personal reason for never joining the PK server is just that i could go to Runescape instead, i like the cooldown, i like the no

mules rule on the main as it keeps away from abusing the speed you level or the way you can support yourself.

I quit pk and a/d training on main server hence all i have to read all day is from whiners/braggers.

"baah smeg pp buying/special armors & weapons/gc rules pk" and stuff like "i got all this come i pwn you naked blah blah".

PK was made to have fun and not to get mad about it, if stuff is added freshly then ppl did this on a case to spice up the fights.

and as it is everyone can do everything if they put some work into it, sure some ppl may get the stuff faster than someone else. but

hell i never cared, there was this day after the caps were introduced to main server, we had an ndd and i fought toomass like 20s times..

of course i died alot but what do i care, i had fun trying my best to stand as long as possible.

I admit i cheerleaded alot as well outside of the arenas but that had different reasons lol ^^

All in all i think ppl shoulda just learn to adapt (that the right word?) the new stuff that got ingame and try to live with it. look at TD, radu added

it so ppl get the oldschool pk part back and then it was never used, now it stays as a tribute to the bs the community wanted and never worked

out.

I think the reason why "pk is dead" is not the fault of the developers, but rather the fault of the community not wanting to go with new things.

i may be wrong but thats just my oppinion.

I didnt like the idea of the pk server first day as i saw it ending like TD used to, and im still afraid about that. Nontheless i wish you ppl good luck

with the PK server and still hope it will work out for you and you get some more members to play on it.

Siincerly,

Scorpius

Edited by Scorpius

Scorpius

Makes alot of sence

I dont think you will ever bring back the old days

Can relive the passed

The PK server showed that

But what of it now ??

Ok all those that Paid there $5 even if you dont want to play how would you like the server to progress ?

All you see is us post ideas on here because we are the only ones who have kept it going

OK advertise we all had fun the other day alot of pking or at least fights and disses lol it was on multi map so some 2 one 1 happened but everyone enjoyed it.

We could hold contests but need players for that

The point i was making before was every time we post on the forum you get a few that are really negitive to the server and will try to flame post

we want peoples views but whats the point of saying the same thing over and over again when they dont really know anything about us all on the pk server

Handyman

`

Yes you can bring back the old days. It's not hard, and doing so would make a very good server. But it will never happen, this server coulda been awesome, in the end it turned out like the main server.

Not much point in trying to make it better anymore, the damage has been done.

At Handy

I see your Point that of course you need more players to host contests and probably advertise the PK server better.

And im actually sorry for that cuz after all the server seemed to be a nice idea.

I dont know either how you good advertise better other than what someone said earlier, having a try out time, so ppl like

could try out the PK server for lets say a week or two to see if it would work out for em.

Other than that i dont think anything can be done about this situation.

I for myself check this part of forums every once in a while, but personally never saw anything "pkish" get written here.

like "oh we had good fights in xxxx".

Instead im reading "i made first cutlass" and "i killed X amounts of yetis".

I mean of course those things are big achievements hence the cap, but if you want to advertise you may as well should show the community

on here how the pk is working out over there to give us a clue about how things run since its the PK server.

This is an interesting point. I have to say that that is probably because pk is the daily standard by those who actively pursue it here, so there is no real reason to glorify it in forums. It's just the normal day to day.

This screenshot is from about five minutes ago:

elscreen001.png

This is a pretty normal interaction if you're looking for pk. I pk far more infrequently. There is definitely an option for how you want to play the game. You can see though, that it isn't really forum worthy (just an example).

Handy made the point that we aren't just looking for pkers, and in fact could use more non-pkers. There are many on this server who will fight back, but don't initiate fights.

Piggy's question address the protection of new players so they aren't initially turned off. There will be pk. New players will die. If you're afraid of death, then this isn't the server for you. The best we can do is, as Handy suggested, help them out with gifts, and perhaps retribution.

My character SyWren has not been pked (or initiated a fight) once since I've been back (about 2 weeks). It is possible to avoid a lot of pk on this server and still be very active.

This server was initiated in part to revive PK and give the hard-core pkers a place to go. What it has become is a place where small fish in a big pond can be big fish in a small pond.

I think most of us agree that we aren't trying to convince all the big fish to come over here. They're already too established in what they do. The way I see it, those who come over here at this point will probably get the most out of this server if they fit a few of the following criteria:

1. Have been on the main server long enough to know they enjoy Eternal Lands, but would like to get more out of it.

2. Would like a smaller community in which they feel they can be more of a contribution

3. Enjoy harving/mixing, but don't mind a little danger (aka will harvest on c2 at night despite/because of Leonard)

4. Have dabbled in pk a bit, but don't really have the money to invest in gear/rostos etc...

These are the people we need to attract, but aren't necessarily the ones who will read the PK server forums or come look for us on their own.

Some how to ideas:

1. Find a sympathetic mod who will advertise the link on the main website or this forum thread in pretty blue spam once a day or so

2. Find a bot who will advertise for us (if anyone still leaves bot ads on)

3. Hold contests and give out characters as prizes

4. Pull ourselves away and jump on channel 4 to talk about it (thank you Mugwump!)

5. Make announcements on the main server when invasions start here

Yes, yes....rambling rambling rambling

Please stop calling it a PK-server. :devlish:

Indeed. It's Main Server 2, not PK Server.

Specially because of the way you and your favorite guild mate fight.

I really hope you don't ask why, because I will answer with screen shots and I'm not doing it now because it's server related. already too much crap on this post.

Wow, ok this is silly. not elitism but the first people on the server are pioneers?
Stop thinking we have an elite bossing everyone around, what we have is a couple players that care about the server and not just themselves.

No I said the whole apparent 'community' is a bit pompous for people that play a computer game.

At least read what you write. Just because you can write in a sarcastic fashion, just because you like to play with words, doesn't mean other people can't understand what you wrote. Writing the same things several times in different ways doesn't make it any different.

ROFLMAO, I didn't even get to wait a full day, before my point was made.

The only point you made is that you thrive to bring down what the others do instead of doing better.

People that train several characters, in several skills, to provide the server with items that can only be made. Power leveling characters to serve the community gets you respect on the PK Server and those who are jealous come and flame the forums. (ie. Handyman and Yaser are top 5 a/d, top 5 manufacture, top 5 crafting, top 5/10 potion, etc...)

LOL, just an fyi no one is 'envious' or 'jealous' of you, and if you think so, its part of the

problem I'm trying to elaborate on, oh noble pioneers. If you need respect on any GAME server, then you need

... well probably a lot of things.

As for me, I don't need respect on any server, all I need is fun, that's why I play and that's what people that play with me know. I have no idea who you are and why you play, but from all this I know you don't play to have fun. If you did you wouldn't be thinking for months about trying the PK Server.

IF anyone respects me on either server, as i've played main server before, I am sure it will be for my action and not for my words.

I wasn't going to post, but I must at least address a post directed at me.

I wont initiate any posts, but I will reply to things asked of me.

At least read what you write. Just because you can write in a sarcastic fashion, just because you like to play with words, doesn't mean other people can't understand what you wrote. Writing the same things several times in different ways doesn't make it any different.

When did I say or imply, that 'other people can't understand what you wrote' or that 'doesn't make it any different.'.

I cannot spell it out any other fashion, nor do I care anymore. I posted to help and not in some evil

attempt to bring down the mighty pk\mixing server clique.

The only point you made is that you thrive to bring down what the others do instead of doing better.

Again, too funny. I'm not trying to "bring down" anything, kk?

There is nothing to do better...its a game, click click, bunny dies.

The bizarre part is you "what the others do instead of doing better." seem

to think "others" are "jealous" of "what community you built". Really, All I am

saying is some NEW players would like to be assured they can trade, say whatever they

want without being subjected to the rules of a group of people who are smaller than numbers

than most guilds on the main. Get me?

As for me, I don't need respect on any server, all I need is fun, that's why I play and that's what people that play with me know. I have no idea who you are and why you play, but from all this I know you don't play to have fun. If you did you wouldn't be thinking for months about trying the PK Server.

IF anyone respects me on either server, as i've played main server before, I am sure it will be for my action and not for my words.

Ok, I play the main, while I work or at home, for fun. Shocker I know, sure beats solitaire or hours of youtube.

Apparently you've imagined I've sat in turmoil for 90 days straight, in agony over playing the pk server.

Probably 65 seconds total of random brain time over the course of several months watching the posts of the chosen few.

What I am trying, obviously in vain, is you need to address those issues some people have with

the current player base and the overly player moderated mixing server. If you guys are going to get any

new people, it would be best to improve your PR.

And on the last point of actions, words, its a game, its click click typing.

I don't think anyone cares about anyones clicking ability, except for those who have forgot its a game

and not some surrogate RL.

But in hopefully final closing,

Good Luck, go ahead and entice no one else join the server.

Have fun with the 5-6(?) people and their alts, its the small community most of you want, permanently.

Please stop calling it a PK-server. :)

Indeed. It's Main Server 2, not PK Server.

Please stop calling it a PK-server. :)

as my friend calls it *Mixing Server :devlish:

Your all wrong it's piss and whine server.

On-topic: I still don't understand why i can't post selling a PK server char on main server's channel 3 because of rule #4 i think. But eh, that's life.

Really, All I am

saying is some NEW players would like to be assured they can trade, say whatever they

want without being subjected to the rules of a group of people who are smaller than numbers

than most guilds on the main. Get me?

I get it, of course I get it. You don't play it so you dream with things that never happen.

All new players can trade with everyone, as long as they have money.

Some players with mid/high levels give away armor and other items to new players. I started 4 months ago and back then someone gave me some leather to help me when I was fighting wolves.

There are NPC, Merchant NPC's and now even bots (also players, but who would want to trade with other players?). The only way a new player won't have anyone to trade with him/her on the PK Server is NOT PLAYING THE PK SERVER. Get it?

If you want to play and say things that others don't like to read I am sure that you aren't going there to play the game, to be part of the community, you will go there to say crap that you aren't allowed by mods on main server.

Several people flame often on @1, including me, and I can only recall 1 situation in 4 months where the "community" asked the person to calm down or shut up. :devlish: Get it? :)

I have time to answer 2 or 3 more posts today. I will visit it later on. Happy typing

The way, as a community we enforce these rules is to ban trade with a person who breaks these rules for a set time.

If you want to play and say things that others don't like to read I am sure that you aren't going there to play the game, to be part of the community, you will go there to say crap that you aren't allowed by mods on main server.

Several people flame often on @1, including me, and I can only recall 1 situation in 4 months where the "community" asked the person to calm down or shut up. ;) Get it? :)

I have time to answer 2 or 3 more posts today. I will visit it later on. Happy typing

("to be part of the community" what if the player just doesn't wanna hang out with ya?

Its a game server, in no part are you required to befriend anyone)

Yeah sure, thanks for reassuring me the server isn't a hostile clique, Great Job.

(type type)

edit: fixed quote on segors request 8)

Edited by robotbob

No system should be designed so the lazy average joe is top dog, no? Why shouldn't someone

who spends more time and effort get a greater result? El uses free market capitalism (appears, I'm not an economist), and

this is how average joes vs the elite work in this system. The average joe can't compete with Mr. WallStreet in autos or

wardrobe either.

My thoughts exactly

It is also extremely rare for anyone to post anything that isn't a complaint list.

I agree with you. Believe me, I really agree with you.

PS: I can even quote dates. Get it!

No system should be designed so the lazy average joe is top dog, no? Why shouldn't someone

who spends more time and effort get a greater result? El uses free market capitalism (appears, I'm not an economist), and

this is how average joes vs the elite work in this system. The average joe can't compete with Mr. WallStreet in autos or

wardrobe either.

My thoughts exactly

It is also extremely rare for anyone to post anything that isn't a complaint list.

I agree with you. Believe me, I really agree with you.

PS: I can even quote dates. Get it!

And out of context quotes, Got it!

And out of context quotes, Got it!

;):):P:D:bangwall:

If you can't even understand I did it because you did it before I am out of this conversation.

Do it yourself Jack.

as much as I would like to believe the Mixing Server is alot of fun, I cant understand it.

For these reasons :

1. With a peak of 20 people logged in , walking around an empty EL seems kinda pointless. Even if you just say hi to random strangers on the main PK server they usually say hi back. Yetis dont speak, and neither does the iron ore when your mining on your own.

2. No Cooldown , multi muling. So theres no cooldown, thats cool ( lol ) but really , who cares ? So I could eat 10 fruit in 5 seconds, id be doing it on my own, trying to talk to Yetis, and the Mixing Server Community Gestapo

Multi Muling ( legal illegal multi play ) - This one irks me the most of them all, it would REALLY piss me off if I paid $5 to play a game, and someone who paid $25 can gather more resources, level faster and generally have more st00f than me in a quicker time, just because they spent more moneh. Plus, shouting about the benefits of legal illegal multiplaying sounds like your being a lazy bunch :whistle:

3. I would probably end up liking every one there and therefore not want to PK them, defeating the object of the server, and therefore would end up mixing all the time, which I do anyway >>>> and by the sound of it so does everyone on the mixing server. :omg:

4. With a character ive spent 2 years making, im not just going to sit him down harvesting dung while I have to read silver mining and iron bar books again. No thankies. ;)

5. I feel like im loosing contact with some good friends who I spent alot of time with on the Main PK server. And I miss them tonnes. :(

So yeh, sorry but heres one person who no matter how much advertising wont go to the PK server. Unless of course the powers that be get so pissed off at my opinions I am banished there for a month. :huh:

Lastly, I dont think advertising will help because anyone who is established on the Main PK server would have gone to the mixing server already if they wanted to. Plus, anyone who is new to the game will want to get to know EL first in an environment where they feel safe to do so. Unless they are hardcore PK addicts, in which instance they will find themselves hunted down by the Mixing Server Gestapo for breaking community rules and will leave.

Peace EL

Sorry for the epic post LOL

1. With a peak of 20 people logged in , walking around an empty EL seems kinda pointless. Even if you just say hi to random strangers on the main PK server they usually say hi back. Yetis dont speak, and neither does the iron ore when your mining on your own.

I think thats why this post started, to fix this problem :whistle:

Unless they are hardcore PK addicts, in which instance they will find themselves hunted down by the Mixing Server Gestapo for breaking community rules and will leave.

This doesnt happen. There is no one that will come "hunt you down" for not following the rules. And really, they arent even rules, they a more like.... strong suggestions. You dont HAVE to folow the rules set up by the community, but you probably wont be "liked" by the community either. Like it has been said before, its only a game. But it is a game that we are trying to improve on by getting more people.

Myself just started playing this server about a week or so ago. When i joined, i was having a good time mixing with no cool down, able to have spawns almost to myself. I also experienced a MrHide invasion. and what can i say except for it was AWESOME!!! ;)

I made friends, even brought a friend from main server to come play as well. Most everyone that is here are all nice and we all work together and try and make the best time out of the worst. Thus, why this post was created, to try and fix the problem of not enough players to make this experience even more enjoyable.

my 2 1/2 cents

1. With a peak of 20 people logged in , walking around an empty EL seems kinda pointless.

Everyone hangs out in @1. There's actually a good amount of conversation going on much of the time. Add PMs and #GMs and there's plenty of interaction. And some places (like VotD) are major centers of activity with people there almost all the time.

2. No Cooldown , multi muling. So theres no cooldown, thats cool ( lol ) but really , who cares ?

Perhaps, but it's a big help as you work to level a character. Things go a lot faster than on main. And since you're starting a new character, it's a big benefit.

Multi Muling ( legal illegal multi play ) - This one irks me the most of them all, it ...

I think people find managing multiple chars harder than it seems at first. I only have one alt that I use part-time to help with harvesting. Everything else I do with my main only. I do pretty well with 1.25 characters (if you will).

3. I would probably end up liking every one there and therefore not want to PK them,

There are lots of people who don't PK. I don't PK, not even the ants. I have a lot of fun being a supplier and playing in the invasions.

4. With a character ive spent 2 years making, im not just going to sit him down...

That is an issue. I have a main char too that's not getting used that much. But I'm having a lot of fun on the PK server and that's the whole point.

5. I feel like im loosing contact with some good friends...

Bring them over with you.

No, the PK server isn't for everyone. But for those who are playing it, we're having a lot of fun.

Can i just say Mrfanceypants is probably the servers newest member

He came over here to give it a try and found out all the bad press the server has had was not true

He didnt go by what a few people that dont even play has said about the server he came to find out for his self

so i guess his post is the most genuin here

HE'S THE NEW BOY (No offence)

Ateh

Reading your post i do understand where your coming from

Like i keep saying who wants to leave heir friends and go to a new game

Who wants to start again and train a new char

answer not everyone

whether you call it a pk server or mixing server its up to you

Its a pk server because its mostly PK maps so expect to get pked now and then but there are safe area's to mix

The serve will never be the way it was suposed to be only because those who thought they wanted old school pk found they didnt want it any more

so the server will evolve in its own way

community rule enforcers its all aload of crap Bugspray decided he wanted to be an outlaw and all that has done is spice things up over here

The problem is the bad press gets noticed more than the good and is often not even true

I still think alot of people on main would enjoy it over here especialy those who see all the high level players on main but will never be able to compete with them over here they can be a top player in their field quiet easy

we all have fun

The only thing we dont like is the swearing in open channel only because we have young kids over here too yongest 10 i think. prety much anything else gos (we dont have mods so we try to stop it our selves. if you come here swearing you will be asked to stop if not be put on everyone ignor list). and you cant blame us for that

I enjoy having a fighter in the 90's a/d a manuer/crafter/potter in 40's soon be 50's and a couple on harvesters i never get board i have giuldies to chat with and always peopl in channel

I have made mols steel armour special swords and still fight yetis this cant be done on main with just one char and i think the multi play is great it allows me to do all this

The serve dont seem as empty as it is

It would be nice if i was attacked more as i roam the lands

We still use the newb channel as are main channel here

But still i can understand this place would not be for everyone

We would have more players it there was not a $5 charge but like the piper saio it also keeps the people joining the game just to sit on ip and flame channels on main Mods stop this all the time

over here we dont have the mods that is why we that play decided some community guide lines and that is all they are

they have worked well

If you are a new player some will pk you athers will help get you started

I used to pk someone say hi welcome to the server and tell them to come get their death bag as it now has armour and a weapon in it as a gift lol

But i am quiet willing to give all new players a set of armour and a sword to start them off

Have fun guys and remember its only a game (even i forget that at times) But the friends you make are for real

Handyman Thor

4. With a character ive spent 2 years making, im not just going to sit him down harvesting dung while I have to read silver mining and iron bar books again. No thankies. ;)

For a lot of people this is the main reason. All the others may have some influence but the truth is everyone is used to the toys they gathered along their playing time.

Other like me don't grow so attached to it and can leave them back, yes temospena is still mine on main and I won't sell it.

About the so called by you "Community Gestapo", does it really exist? Just because 2 people complain often for being targeted more often than others that doesn't mean we have dictators on the server.

Most people that say here in the forums that a couple players are "Ruling" the server and "telling the others what to" do aren't there to read the hours of talk on @1 about topics. And if we didn't want to post on the forums so that there was a written resolution from the conversations or to make some kind of poll for everyone on different time zones, things would still work pretty much the way it does, because PK Server players debate pretty much everything and always on @1.

You say you miss your friends that came to the PK Server, that are having fun and plan to stay, if you want them back you are just being selfish. Fun is the main goal for some that play games.

Fun is the main goal for some that play games.

Exactly. Many believe that the only purpose for playing a game is to be the best. Sure, this can be a great feeling, but not many can honestly say they are one of the top players in EL. For those that aren't the best - which is most of you - frankly, you need to accept that you most likely wont become the best, since you cannot find the time to play 24-7, and aren't a long time veteran.

Now if you can accept the reality of the situation, and stop being so uptight about it, just chillax... throw up a chair, grab yourself $5 and play here.

Oh may I remind you that contrary to main server, it IS possible to eventually be the best fighter in pk server, without the need for pure hardcore activity.