Eternal Lands Official Forums
Piggy

Getting More Players To Try PK Server

Pk server is the bomb.

I think that most people who want to try the pk server first check the PK-forums.

If you open up a random thread you will most likely find a whiner, flaming on some1 else. Many times there are flames targeted to a player who has not even replied to that topic.

For an outsider the PK-server forums will probably give the impression that there is a flame-war going on 24/7. And threads about bringing more people to the pk server will give the impression that there are too little human encounters.

For a screenshot of a chat log that was submitted, There can be pk without calling names etc etc etc, you just have to #ignore the right people and its all good.

For all who consider joining,

-Training is easy. (lots of different training spots, not so many players like on main)

-If you don't tell everyone where you are training you wont get pked too often.

-With 1 (or more) alt(s) it is not too hard to be your own supplier, to make sure you got everything you need.

-There really are kind people out there, who can combine pk with adult behavior. (eg. get pked and don't call names, blacklist, bitch on forums etc.)

-There are also people who don't pk (or not that much) but just level skills / trade etc. And it works just fine even on a pk server.

I'm sure more new people are joining because I get new names on my kills counters, and old names who are returning.

Btw, you could always sell the character for main server gc, if you decide its not that much fun. I believe that there is a market for that, dunno really.

ProHibited

I am Happy to play middle man if you dont want your PK char or not intending to use it anymore forum pm me

also if you want a PK char and dont have $5 then also forum pm me

if i get responses from both sides i might be able to help a few people out

I hope this post is not breaking the rules im just trying to help the server

Handyman

I am Happy to play middle man if you dont want your PK char or not intending to use it anymore forum pm me

also if you want a PK char and dont have $5 then also forum pm me

if i get responses from both sides i might be able to help a few people out

I hope this post is not breaking the rules im just trying to help the server

Handyman

I've been doing the same too, I've bought/sold over 20 accounts for other people to start playing on the Server, and it seems alot of them keep playing there.

Good luck getting more people over here. :P

Yikes! Well at least this thread didn't completely go off the track! My original goal with starting it was to encourage people on the server to attract more players and make the server more welcoming.

I don't get the elitist description other than most players on the PK Server are fairly experienced with EL. That would make sense for anyone signing up, but I think that must of us would welcome and gladly help brand new EL'ers. It just seems that trying the game for free to start makes more sense than spending $5 on the unknown. I may be wrong, but there may more older players on average in PK. I'm sure I must be the least elite player on any server anywhere except for maybe RuinScrape...

The idea of a free 'trial period' is a good one and might be effective, but I think we already got a no from Radu on that one.

i know the reason why radu doesnt want to do the "trial period". There would be so much work making sure that everyone makes only one account, and that the PK players here dont make more alts. But, what if we did it a little differentaly.

Say someone wanted to try the PK server. They could PM entropy via forum PM and get a number, or phrase unique to each person so that they could create a character on the this server. When they go to create a character, the password must be that number or phrase. That would keep new players from having more than one account, and old PK players from creating more.

Entropy might not be up for this, but it would be a lot easier than admining it than the other suggestion i had. And if you are worried about everyone PMing you via forum, you coulld make another account strictly for this purpose :)

Have any ideas? or improvements on mine? dont hesitate to post :)

1 account per IP that has a week trial period, after that the account can be held for another week and the player can choose whether to pay or not. If not paid for in a week after the trial period is over, the account is deleted.

I disagree with a free trial.

It's $5

Things that cost $5, but yield far less in entertainment value:

Half a movie in a theatre

A gallon and a half of gas

Socks

One meal at McDonalds (and don't give me that shit about the dollar menu 'cause I know ya'll get a drink too)

One rosto on the main server

Two loads of laundry, but you can only dry one load

One beer at a bar, with tip

Reasons I don't think we should give a free trial:

1. Piper's point about the spammers

2. Imagine all of a sudden 300 new players one day. Half of them would run around acting like assholes, while the other half would think that this is normal PK server behavior.

3. Paying $5 is an incentive to stick around and try it for longer than 15 minutes. And we all know that the longer you're here, the more this server feels like home.

-Sy

I see your points, but nothing is without a risk. if you are always scared about the risks you wont get anywhere (just imo)

i wouldnt blindly pay 5$ without knowing if i even stay longer there or if i notice after just a couple of days that this is nothing for me.

Just a thought, i know that i dont know about the situation or whatsoever on PK server which doesnt mean i wouldnt like to try to help

with getting more ppl over there.

On the other side you cant force it, except having ppl/mods advertise for the PK Server i dont see any solution for this.

Awesomely Stated Sy :) Agree 110% :) I love the pk server. I am not much of pker.. and I dont think I ever will be. I just love to play the game. Even tho I have been play FAR FAR less than I have Before.. (RL) But, all the same, all I can say is how fun the pk server is.. Even tho I just recently started playing there, I do spend alot of time at the fruit stand in PL. I love every minute of it.. Even if bugs and prohibited are the outlaws, and Kill me often. I try not to carry more than 2 picks with me, so thats what 30gc and if I am harvesting.. and lose what I harvest.. oh well I will just harvest again. The biggest thing is As most of you know Poot is my hubby.. on the pk server I can actually play WITH him.. and share common goals. On the main server We dont have that option. But all that aside: I Truly love the pk server and Thank all those that made the pk server possible.. Its immensely appreciated! :)

I just had to say.. I played Novalogic's LW, TFD,BHD, TS *army games* For about 8 years.. Each one of those games cost 50 usd... 5 usd is a small price for such an Awesome and addictive game. IMO :) And to also have the knowledge that in all actuallity its really Not a horrible community. Its not like you have to look over shoulder CONSTANTLY :) Just have to accept a death every once in awhile :)

*Oops sorry for double post*

Edited by kit_gw

I see your points, but nothing is without a risk. if you are always scared about the risks you wont get anywhere (just imo)

i wouldnt blindly pay 5$ without knowing if i even stay longer there or if i notice after just a couple of days that this is nothing for me.

Get a friend to let you try the PK Server. I bought one account on the PK Server just for someone to come and see how things were and see if he liked it.

I understand that most people can't or don't want to pay $5 to play the PK Server, but I think it's unfair for Radu to create 500 accounts on the PK Server, that he has to create manually, and in the end all of them play for a couple hours just to being an ass for not having mods.

I agree with Sy, as in some countries even a coffee is more expensive than an account on the PK Server. It would be nice to see more people around, not for the PKing but for a larger community, but personally I would like to see mature people like most of the ones around.

There are no perfect things and a game won't be it, we are interacting with people with different personalities and some will clash along the way. For those who like EL the PK Server is the best place to be, for those who like to make a storm in a glass of water there is only one place in the EL world and that is on the main server.

This thread is final turning in to a useful thread

Now all the flare is out of the way and people can read for themselves what its really like over here

Scorpius is coming up with some useful points

More PK players are also coming up with useful points as it was meant to be when PiGGy started this topic

I guess The $5 is not as bad as we all think as it does stop some potentional problems with a non modulated server

Also quality is better than quantaty

But what about my idea Buy a Pk server char using Mains gc You pay Ent a set fee to create one

Handyman Thor

For those who are not sure i think the GC Payment is the best solution most probably, but lets be realistic as i doubt this will happen.

There are quite a few players on main server that offer gc->$$ conversion so the possibility to do it like you say is allready there Handy.

What i read from earlier posts is that most ppl think there is not enough advertising for the PK Server, and i gotta admit all the time i've been

online on main i didnt saw any mod advertisings for the PK Server, i think that would be the first step in the right direction. So especially newer

players get to know there is the possibility to go to an pk server.

How about a few newbie mssges? That you get when you are under 15(??) overall level.

like:

"Join the PK-server for real pk action! Check the forums!"

"On the PK-server there is a level cap on att/def and no cooldown! Check the forums!"

ofc not too many mssges as the only goal would be to make the newbies aware of the server, not to spam them.

Then every new player will know about the server without having to advertise to every single player on the main server.

Yes I know I'm so smart :evilgrin: now lets implement it :pickaxe:

ProHibited

I like the idea of an automated general message, but maybe at a higher level? It really helps to come over here after you've learned the basics of the game and at least know how to get around.

Just make the server free, and add the shop if radu wants $.

More players. :P

I know at least 1 player that would say bye bye to the PK Server if that was implemented. Lets add cool down for all items too. :P

I'm not sure if there is a P/C cap on this server but if you really want this server to take off and become like Pk was 2-4 years ago then what you need is p/c to be unlimited and idc what it cost $$$ allow players to get roll backs to get there account and play on this server.... Example me being allowed to get PoOKies back...Also with what liquid said which is smart would be no COST to go on server and let Radu open up his little shop os selling rostos thermals BroD ;)

For some reason while playing tonight, I thought, “maybe I’ll try the PK server”. I don’t know anyone who has an account on the PK server so basically if one of you fine players would like to pm me on the main server and answer my noob questions that would be great. I don’t want to clog up the thread with them. In game name kickany1 :pickaxe:

For some reason while playing tonight, I thought, "maybe I'll try the PK server". I don't know anyone who has an account on the PK server so basically if one of you fine players would like to pm me on the main server and answer my noob questions that would be great. I don't want to clog up the thread with them. In game name kickany1 ;)

Nice to know :)

I don't play main server but if you need you can send a forum pm and will try to clear what is possible when I check the forums.

And thank you Aphistolas for the name list :P