Eternal Lands Official Forums
Piggy

Getting More Players To Try PK Server

I guess everybody knows I advocate advertising on the main server and do as much as I think appropriate when I'm there. Bringing up PK and getting a conversation going about it, then a general invitation every half-hour or so. I also have tried to push the idea of main server contests in which the prize is a free PK account paid for by one of us. Me anyway, since I came up with the idea... at least once. It's only $5... *sniff*

One more thing I hate to bring up because it would create a 'Rule Number Four'. I am out front shouting about the fewer rules the better when the subject comes up, but let me try this on you all:

If we want more players to join the PK Server, we have to make them feel welcome. I suggest a 'Newbie Limit' for random attacking. Basically the idea is don't PK newbs until they are comfortable here and learn their way around. How to judge a "newb" is the hard part. I was thinking because the only statistic we can learn from others is the material points (health level.) Maybe no attacking new players with a health level under a certain number? 50, 60, 70? Of course these numbers could pertain to players who have just reset, they could be included or not (I vote not.) Got suggestions?

Anyway, the idea is a rule to allow new players on the server a time or level period to get used to being here, learning about us and guilds, differences from main, find places to hide, whatever. Killing players fresh off the island is pointless anyway. They carry nothing valuable, PK points probably don't mean much (I don't know the system,) and it risks scaring them away.

As it is, we have a player now who is highly respected in the forums, among the devs and mods and on the main server who has been slaughtered as a newb a number of times. I won't state a name because I had not asked permission to do so, and the player doesn't talk on channels as far as I know. Still, it is someone who would be a good advocate for the server if a little PK honor and respect was made visible.

I hope this makes sense! It's not targeted to any players, just an idea to build the community... so... bring on the comments!

Agreed, but the point is not to scare away more players.

The point is, to get more players on the PK server.

Somehow we need more advertisement IMO.

Piper

advertising in the right way, made by people that know this server and the people they are advertising for.

I used to walk away from the expression PK and what really got me to stay was the chance to train when/where I wanted and not having cool down when mixing.

the community is very important and it's great on the PK server, but we will always have someone that will PK just because they can. ignoring health or any other aspect.

It's the PK Server.. having that edge where you can be pked almost everywhere, training, harvesting or just walking to a NPC is fun :wub:

If people can live with it and get a map of the uw, it won't be that much of a problem to have fun on the PK Server

I try to help new players and old players returning

but have been scammed doing it (we all know who by :P)

Mainly buy giving them armour, weapons and books to get started, ings to start off their alc

The problem is, all the Old School Pkers That wanted this server soon changed their minds and went back to the new way of PKing (top armour and weapons)

So the players we need to aim at are new to mid range players

Old School PK is dead and will never be again no matter what server or game

So this server is New School PK Its a New Game all it lacks is lots of players

We Have all the things people wish for on the Main server

NO COOL DOWN -- MULTI PLAY --- MULELING -- LOADS OF PK AREAS ---- FREE SPAWNS --- MR HIDE INVASIONS --- LIMITED RULES --- and much more

We Have a handfull of top pking players but many more lower lvl players training hard

Its not to late to join, its never to late because of the atts cap and a/d cap

We are still screaming out for mixers and Harvesters to join

Engineers, Taylors, also needed i would buy some fancy clothes

As soon as we have more pkers we can hold regular contests some with rules ie low armour /best armour /all for one on multi maps /summoning contests ranger events and much more

So what ever you want to be you can, and with a few alts you can train very fast

The main problem and this has always been the problem and thats the $5 for a char

IDEA What if Radu would set up a PK char for an amount of Mains gc say 25-30k main gc and you get a pk char (use it as a gc sink . I know a small one lol)

We are always going to have a problem with the $5

All the players that are not using their PK chars pm me i will try to find them new homes and anyone who wants a PK char pm me so i can make this possible i will act as go between

These are the only solutions i can think of at the moment

Handyman Thor

i would go by OA lvls not by health or a/d lvls or something like that

you get people who will only harvest and wont do much training and even those should be getting attacked at lets say 30-40 OA

i dont play the pk server but just a sugesstion...

Edited by zipher4

The PK Server has got a little better, sometimes there is 20 people on, but it will never be close to what the Main Server is, main reason for that is people don't want to do the leveling all over again.

You can try alot of things, but nothing is going to change anymore, if people can buy chars for gc they will, play for a week, and go back to the main server again.

There is a way of making the PK server busy again, but I can tell you now, radu wont do it, or even consider it. Neither will alot of the people on the server want it.. But it would make a busy PK server. :P

The PK Server has got a little better, sometimes there is 20 people on, but it will never be close to what the Main Server is, main reason for that is people don't want to do the leveling all over again.

You can try alot of things, but nothing is going to change anymore, if people can buy chars for gc they will, play for a week, and go back to the main server again.

Thats my point we dont need people that have high lvl players on main to make this work or busy (They like their lvls and high end armour to much)

so forget about old school players and concentrat on new or players that have not played long or even players that cant train 12 hrs a day and want to just spend a few hours a week.

If a new player played the main server for a week then played this server for a week which would they like best and they can all soon be top players over here

Handyman

i would go by OA lvls not by health or a/d lvls or something like that

you get people who will only harvest and wont do much training and even those should be getting attacked at lets say 30-40 OA

i dont play the pk server but just a sugesstion...

:P

How should one know about the a/d or OA of another player?

We have no charts with the top players on each skill as on main, and afaik the only way to believe other people's levels is by them posting a screen or believe his/her word.

I for one only attack ppl that get on my nerves or during pking events. Others prefer to attack anyone weaker than them.

It's a pk server, come out and have fun. If someone pks you you can do the same anytime, even when afk harvesting.

If we want more players to join the PK Server, we have to make them feel welcome. I suggest a 'Newbie Limit' for random attacking. Basically the idea is don't PK newbs until they are comfortable here and learn their way around. How to judge a "newb" is the hard part. I was thinking because the only statistic we can learn from others is the material points (health level.) Maybe no attacking new players with a health level under a certain number? 50, 60, 70? Of course these numbers could pertain to players who have just reset, they could be included or not (I vote not.) Got suggestions?

was what i was quoteing on... and if there oa is lets say 29 it wont let you kill them

if you go by health people will just get the OA's that dont raise health and will be just like the reg server for them because they cant get attacked

This is a tough one. There was a lot of negative reaction to our first set of community rules (granted, much of it from people who don't even play the server). We still have some people who really don't agree with the "no PK during MrHide invasions" rule, but we haven't had any problems for a while now.

We want the server to be fun for all (the main motivation for the PK/invasion rule) but it is a PK server. It's never going to be 100% safe. Most people leave new players alone now. Would the few who don't leave newbs alone care if we made a community rule about it? I tend to doubt it.

Perhaps rather than a rule (which may be hard to enforce) we have a "gentleman's agreement" to leave anyone under 50 HP alone. Not a guarantee of safety, but it would help give new players a chance to get started and perhaps not get PKed 5 times their first day.

I think more thought and discussion is called for.

This is a tough one. There was a lot of negative reaction to our first set of community rules (granted, much of it from people who don't even play the server).

Yeah it was those silly people, you know those possible new players to join the pk server.

Every month I think, hmm maybe I get an account just to afk there, or to negate the "IF yOu AInT Der YoU ThEn StFu!" response.

But IMHO you guys have done enough negative advertising as possible, this forum section was the inadvertently a source of negative advertising.

It created an image of a petty clique looking for more people to dominate.

It only makes people think "Omfg, why pay $5 and have to deal with those 10-20 people in my free time"

I say fix that part, and it would help a whole lot.

I really hope it takes off, Ill be the first to pay $5 when it does. (I can start late, I don't care about being a top anything, I only compete

against myself, next level and so on). But at the moment, I see a lot of "shooting yourself in the foot and wondering why you cannot walk".

At some point you guys need to stop seeing "people on the main" or "doesn't currently play pk server" as the enemy. Anytime anyone

meets this criteria in 'your" forum, he\she is attacked by the petty clique.

I fully expect to be flamed for my reply, with most skimming it, and telling me to 'gfto or buy an account'.

sincerely (really)

robotbob

edit:typo

Edited by robotbob

This is a tough one. There was a lot of negative reaction to our first set of community rules (granted, much of it from people who don't even play the server).

Yeah it was those silly people, you know those possible new players to join the pk server.

Every month I think, hmm maybe I get an account just to afk there, or to negate the "IF yOu AInT Der YoU ThEn StFu!" response.

But IMHO you guys have done enough negative advertising as possible, this forum section was the inadvertently a source of negative advertising.

It created an image of a petty cliché looking for more people to dominate.

It only makes people think "Omfg, why pay $5 and have to deal with those 10-20 people in my free time"

I say fix that part, and it would help a whole lot.

I really hope it takes off, Ill be the first to pay $5 when it does. (I can start late, I don't care about being a top anything, I only compete

against myself, next level and so on). But at the moment, I see a lot of "shooting yourself in the foot and wondering why you cannot walk".

At some point you guys need to stop seeing "people on the main" or "doesn't currently play pk server" as the enemy. Anytime anyone

meets this criteria in 'your" forum, he\she is attacked by the petty cliché.

I fully expect to be flamed for my reply, with most skimming it, and telling me to 'gfto or buy an account'.

sincerely (really)

robotbob

I agree with you 100% :P

I think you totally misunderstand (at least my) intent with those comments.

As a native of the USA it would be ridiculous (and perhaps in bad taste) for me to make judgements about the traditions, customs, and rules of another culture (say Japan). Having never lived there, I have no frame-of-reference to say if what they do works or not. In like manner, if someone hasn't played on the PK server for a period of time, they have no frame-of reference to say if the rules the community has created work or not.

Of course creating an AFK account would be useless because one still wouldn't understand the community there.

It's not elitism or some sort of one-char/one-vote, it's "try it before you bash it".

I really hope it takes off, Ill be the first to pay $5 when it does.
That would be good, but personally I'm more impressed with the people willing to try it before it becomes popular. The pioneers, or those that can see the potential and jump in rather than waiting to see who else goes first. If everyone waited for someone else to go first the PK server would never have been created.

I think you totally misunderstand (at least my) intent with those comments.

Its a reoccurring theme.

As a native of the USA it would be ridiculous (and perhaps in bad taste) for me to make judgements about the traditions, customs, and rules of another culture (say Japan). Having never lived there, I have no frame-of-reference to say if what they do works or not. In like manner, if someone hasn't played on the PK server for a period of time, they have no frame-of reference to say if the rules the community has created work or not.

That totally does not apply here. What we are talking about is tourism.

We (I assume) are talking about encouraging people to 'visit and join' the pk server.

You do, as a tourist, need to be aware of the 'empire created rules' in order to not spend years

in a prison over a misunderstanding. I could, for example, make myself aware of the customs and traditions of Myanmar (Burma)

but you wont see me spending a holiday there.

Of course creating an AFK account would be useless because one still wouldn't understand the community there.

There is plenty to learn from observation.

It's not elitism or some sort of one-char/one-vote, it's "try it before you bash it".

That would be good, but personally I'm more impressed with the people willing to try it before it becomes popular. The pioneers, or those that can see the potential and jump in rather than waiting to see who else goes first. If everyone waited for someone else to go first the PK server would never have been created.

Wow, ok this is silly. not elitism but the first people on the server are pioneers?

No I rather wait so I can choose not to be part of a 20 person clique, waiting until ~100 people gives me, or anyone

else greater options in who they flatter in order to have some semblance of 'play'.

I give up.

Edited by robotbob

I give up.
Without even trying it? OK, your choice. You're missing a lot of fun and a really great community of folks.

That totally does not apply here. What we are talking about is tourism.

We (I assume) are talking about encouraging people to 'visit and join' the pk server.

You do, as a tourist, need to be aware of the 'empire created rules' in order to not spend years

in a prison over a misunderstanding. I could, for example, make myself aware of the customs and traditions of Myanmar (Burma)

but you wont see me spending a holiday there.

There is plenty to learn from observation.

I think, you got everything wrong, which someone can get wrong about the pk server, rules and community rules...

First, its an unmoderated PK server.That means, there are only a few rules Radu will enforce there, like:

On the PK server there are fewer rules to follow (mainly, don't macro, don't curse at people in a really bad way, don't harass people). However, PK style harassment is OK (for example, killing the same person multiple times). Blocking resources is OK, but only in PK areas. Same for summoning.

If you find a bug, don't be an asshole and exploit it. Instead, let me know about it, preferably via a forum PM.

If you give your account away, or share your password, don't come to me crying if you were scammed.

If you break thse few rules, you will either get a warning or get banned right away, in which case you will not get a refund for the PK server fee, or for the rostos you might have bought.

Shouldnt be that hard to follow this handful of rules, hu?

Second, a part of the community there has created a set of "community rules". A lot of ppl on the PK server obey those rules, some doesnt. Those are called "Outlaws". Now those ppl who obey the community rules on the PK server have the chance to enforce those rules by pking outlaws, not trading with them, not helping them, #ignore'ing them etc.pp.

And thats it. Nobody forces you to follow community rules. There is no "empire/elite" which is looking for more followers/slaves. You dont like the community rules? Dont obey them, maybe even create your own set of rules you will follow, maybe some other ppl will obey your rules and enforce them on the PK server by pking those who break your own rules.

Wow, ok this is silly. not elitism but the first people on the server are pioneers?

No I rather wait so I can choose not to be part of a 20 person clique, waiting until ~100 people gives me, or anyone

else greater options in who they flatter in order to have some semblance of 'play'.

Yeah, the first ppl playing on the PK server are the pioneers, they live in that new world on the PK server, try out things, try to have fun and and and. How would you call them? Gardeners? Fred? Vegetable??

I give up

Give up what?

I really have no idea what your problem with the PK server is.

Are you envious, that there are already ppl who try to build up a community there and have released some community rules without asking you?

You can go there and hide in the most hidden map on C2 and mind your very own business, nobody will force you to follow some "elite" players in slavery.

Its all up to you, what you want to do there. But keep in mind, its a PK server, so ppl can PK you for any reason and vice versa.

And since ppl do interact there like on the main server, but its a PK server, some new thoughts, ideas might be needed how ppl there live together in peace or war.

Thats it, simple like hell :P

Piper

During the last week it's averaged about 13 players on line, and a peak of 28 on the PK server. During the same time the main server was 408-640 (ignoring bots)

During the last week it's averaged about 13 players on line, and a peak of 28 on the PK server. During the same time the main server was 408-640 (ignoring bots)
I'm sorry, but I don't think I follow your point.

* Main server is free, PK costs $5. Only those willing and able to pay will play.

* Main has been around for what, 6 years? PK less than a year.

* Main has lots of exposure with web-pages, reviews, etc. PK has a single link on the EL home page, and a sub-group in the forums (which only a percentage of the players read). People won't be playing what they don't know about.

How many people (on average) were playing the main server in the first year? What would that count have been if it cost $5 per character?

So the main server has more people playing. That would seem obvious. I don't understand how that applies to this topic (other than perhaps some serious advertising on Main might generate more people on PK).

Edited by bkc56

I think, you got everything wrong, which someone can get wrong about the pk server, rules and community rules...

Nothing again to do with rules, everything to do with image of the players currently playing and how that would attract others.

[edit: added this]

Yeah, the first ppl playing on the PK server are the pioneers, they live in that new world on the PK server, try out things, try to have fun and and and. How would you call them? Gardeners? Fred? Vegetable??

I would call them PLAYERS.

Give up what?

I really have no idea what your problem with the PK server is.

Are you envious, that there are already ppl who try to build up a community there and have released some community rules without asking you?

[snip]

ROFLMAO, I didn't even get to wait a full day, before my point was made.

Oh btw I mean give up explaining from my side, the non participant, that the problem isn't the $5.

Edited by robotbob

ROFLMAO, I didn't even get to wait a full day, before my point was made.

Oh btw I mean give up explaining from my side, the non participant, that the problem isn't the $5.

Yeah, right, the 5$ isnt the problem, thats a feature to get rid of all the idiots you dont know, who are joining a free game just to cause trouble.

Like all the well loved "suck my dick" spammers at beam et al, you have never seen in game, because the ebul mods were fast enough to ban them, just to protect the community on the main server.

That is your problem?

Or what did i still get something wrong?

Piper

Edited by The_Piper

main reason for that is people don't want to do the leveling all over again.
Not entirely true. I've leveled 3 chars, it's fun with the right build.
That says it all.

I was thinking.... maybe could have a thing where players could "try" teh pk server for say.... 2 weeks for free. That would giuve more than enough time for everyone to get a feal for the server, and community. When the 2 week period is up, the person with the char has the option to pay the $5, or the acc will be deleted in a month, maybe more/less.

Of course players that already play on this server would make lots of alts to help them harvest, so maybe something where you can only make one new character for free, but existing players cant, and every other player you make, you have to pay for.

I dont know if this will work, or even if radu would do so.... but its just a thought to get more people to come to this glorious server.

thatnks much

From what I have read you don't plan on getting an account on the PK Server. If you think about it every month and still haven't done it you won't. Why? Because I gave it 1 week of though while I was trying to talk to 1 person I knew that had accounts on the PK Server.

Getting an account and go AFK will only do 2 things, increase the traffic on the server and bore you to death. You either play actively on the PK Server or you can stay on the main server enjoying the cool down of items.

Stop thinking we have an elite bossing everyone around, what we have is a couple players that care about the server and not just themselves. People that train several characters, in several skills, to provide the server with items that can only be made. Power leveling characters to serve the community gets you respect on the PK Server and those who are jealous come and flame the forums. (ie. Handyman and Yaser are top 5 a/d, top 5 manufacture, top 5 crafting, top 5/10 potion, etc...)

Negative advertisement about the PK Server, the amount should be like 1% when compared to the main server. If I bothered with reading the Disputes (outlaws/whiners) section of the forum I could get outrageous examples of it almost every day. While about the PK Server you get 1 per month with PK server players and maybe more often when "the illuminati" main server players come around.

main reason for that is people don't want to do the leveling all over again.
Not entirely true. I've leveled 3 chars, it's fun with the right build.
That says it all.

Main reason is still the fact that people don't want to level a character from scratch, that's why we have people buying characters before they start playing the server, and they can't pk without their titanium sets of armor, thermal serps and w/e more they can get their hands on.

When Radu implemented the server he established rules, you can only buy rostogol stones from the shop is fantastic for the ones playing the PK Server but keeps away the so called "I would play if there weren't stronger players than me!" that like to point all the less good aspects of this great server.

If you like to try new things just do it®

PiGGy I guess now you know why we stopped posting on the forums about getting new players here

Because all that happens is a few sad people that have not even played the game start coming up all this negative stuff as why we don't get players over here.

I guess know one listens to their moaning and groaning on main anymore

Paul B was on here for 5 minutes but insisted of swearing and foul mouthing in channel (no just normal flame)

But soon left when everyone was on his case.

No great loss there

How can anyone judge something they have not tried (and i don't mien for the first month)

Alot has changed since the first month the game started

The so called community rules arnt really rules if you trade with an outlaw then you wont get punished for it . its up to you what you do

Robotbob so why are you on the pk server forums ??

You keep threatening to come over here but never have the balls to actually do it

So instead you just try to ruin genuine threads

And who are you ?? name do ring a bell from when i played the main server

Trouble is naive people alway believe what they are told with out making up their own minds

There are no enforcers on the pk server never was

It was an idea shared in the pk forum for everyone to comment on

But was blown out of proportion by those that don't even play and believed by a few gullible people

Back to the issue

This server was built because Old School Pkers complained about PKing being dead and wanted more

So this server was built everyone had fun during the testing and for the first month or two.

But all those that wanted this server missed their high levels top end Armour and most of all their friends and guildies on main. Some stuck it out and stayed until it just got to quite for them.

They had all they needed for their Old School PK but found out it was not for them

So what is this server all about now??

Its know longer just the old school PK server

Its a new game one with NO COOL DOWN -- MULTI PLAY --- MULE LING -- LOADS OF PK AREAS ---- FREE SPAWNS --- MR HIDE INVASIONS --- LIMITED RULES --- and much more

With a great friendly community

New players are helped when they get here to give them a start

Piggy is only trying to find ways to help new players like we all discuss on channel

whether we all decide not to attack someone under 50 hp or not is another thing

The idea of a forum is to get ideas and maybe come up with some answers

But you will always get your robertbobs and paulb's sad i know but thats it (wouldn't surprise me if they were friends or guildies)

But anyone who knows us over here

Knows all the negative stuff is not true

Handyman Thor

Edited by handyman