Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Airakose

Physical Magic Attacks

All of the damaging magic In EL involves distance, there is not an offensive spell which requires you to be near the target or already engaged in battle to take effect.

Perhaps we could have more combat enhancing spells? They could be elemental-based, and powerful, but self damaging accordingly. They could, depending on the type, enhance accuracy, or strength in a fight, or even defense. The spells last until the user casts them again, so even while you're not fighting you take damage so long as they're active and mana does not recharge.

Example stats-

Fire Enhancement: Sets your weapon or hands ablaze. - Increases attack by 10% in battle, but the caster takes heavy heat damage for the duration of the spell. Has a 3% chance to do heat damage to the opponent upon hitting them.

Water Enhancement: Crystal-clear water encases your head - Increases accuracy by 20% in battle, but the caster takes heavy magic damage (drowning) for the duration of the spell.

Ice Enhancement: Covers everything but your joints in Ice - Increases defense by 15% in battle, but the caster takes heavy cold damage for the duration of the spell. Has a 3% chance to do cold damage to the opponent upon being hit.

---------------------------------------------

These spells could have high costs, but take a lower level... Perhaps use one to fill the gap between TTR and Harm, and put the others a bit higher up? They should take quite a few essences and alot of mana. All of the percentages were just for the example, the final result would be up to the mods if they like it...

So, what does everyone think? ^^ Please comment

Edited by Airakose

Sounds cool but I wouldnt do spells that would hurt me as they are in use..still a cool idea

minus the Damage they cause lol

Edited by Artemis

Sounds like a really nice idea Air, so how much mana would it take up, 30-40?

Not a bad idea.

But just looking at your examples, I'm a little skeptical about the validity of these spells' effects. How can your head being encased in a ball of water increase your accuracy? Last time I checked, it was pretty difficult to see clearly in a pool. Also, our body and such being frozen? This would definitely decrease defence, not enhance it. Frozen does not necessarily mean stronger, usually stiffer and more rigid, but brittle as well.

I think for more spells you should be looking at more of the Harm style spells for offense, but combined with a Smite Summoned.

By this I mean, you could have a spell like the Harm but it will be less strong, pass by MI (as it doesn't hit 1 specific target) but affects an area around the caster. Because it doesn't hit 1 specific target, you would also not leave invisibility using this.

Here are a couple ideas..

Harm Area

Costs 30 mana, invokes 20-x damage to each opponent in a 16x16 area around the caster, depending on ratio/magic lvl.

Poisonous Ward

Costs 40 mana, creates a 20x20 ward, every 10 seconds, every non-allied player or creature takes 20 damage if inside the ward.

And other than those for mages, I would rather like to see more remote spells, other than a heal, there is little you can do for a fighter now. Unless you wish to smite the opponents summons.

For that I would like to see the protection spells being allowed to become a remote cast. For a fighter it's a pain to cast heat/cold protection, normal shield. It's quite heavy on mana, even with the increased durations. It would give mages more of a use however if they could buff up their warriors and perhaps maybe some people would be more attracted to become a mage-ish character.

Or even an idea I had before to use certain damaging Shield spells. As in ..

Fire Shield

Costs 30 mana, for 90 seconds, each time you are hit in combat, your opponent is struck for x Heat Damage.

I don't know if working on magic is really something that will be worked on right away tho, I'm sure that currently the shapeshift/summon thing will come first. ;-)

-Gohan

Water Enhancement: Crystal-clear water encases your head - Increases accuracy by 20% in battle, but the caster takes heavy magic damage (drowning) for the duration of the spell.

Maybe....

Magic Enhancement: A magical glow surrounds your head- Increases accuracy buy 20% in battle, but the caster takes heavy magic damage for the duration of the spell.

And would the "Heavy Damage" be more damage than the user is actually doing?

Not a bad idea.

But just looking at your examples, I'm a little skeptical about the validity of these spells' effects. How can your head being encased in a ball of water increase your accuracy? Last time I checked, it was pretty difficult to see clearly in a pool. Also, our body and such being frozen? This would definitely decrease defence, not enhance it. Frozen does not necessarily mean stronger, usually stiffer and more rigid, but brittle as well.

Haha. These were just examples to get across the idea.

But...

1) Clear water can distort light, just as glass can, so a bulge here, or an indention there could bend the light to focus certain degrees of sight. A pool normally has chlorine, which is not clear.

2) I said - Ice Enhancement covers everything but your joints in Ice. Yes this would slow you down, but if the ice is cold enough it can be the equivalent of steel (From what I gather). My idea was that with the ice enhancement, you skip every other turn to attack. But maybe then it should have more effect.

And would the "Heavy Damage" be more damage than the user is actually doing?

Well, that really would depend. ;) And as I've said, those were just examples to get my idea across. :)

Thanks for the responses, keep them coming ^^ I love constructive criticism.

Edited by Airakose

heavy damage sounds like a lot of damage, how about 6 or 7 damage. Also insteady of 3% chance of doing ice/fire/magic damage to the opponent how about 5%.

i love this idea..i was thinking about posting it myself but found this.

hope it gets implented.