Eternal Lands Official Forums
Astoral

Where's George? gc....

this is probably one of the most pointless suggestions ever made, but what about having special "Where's George" coins? it would be pointless (like in rl), but it might also be interesting (like in rl) just to see how far gc travel in EL...

(if you dont know what this is, go to wheresgeorge.com)

Edited by Astoral

I reckon too much effort to implement, just for a so thats where the coin i traded has gone reaction from the players.

Also, what about when that coin is used to buy something from an npc, then it's lost forever in the npc's pocket. It wouldn't make sense for an npc with infinite cash to give out a "where's George" coin when a player sells an item to her.

Since there is no unique item tracking in EL, and like Tauren said, its *poofs* at the npc.

Then you add storage to track Gold coin [#123232] [Date&Time][Traded: map xxx ToPlayer: xxx]

for each coin, for each trade... yeah way too much data and overhead for a novel thing.

-Side Rant, Ok big side rant :whistle: -

[i have issues with the wheresgeorge phenomenon, so my 2 cents]

The problem with 'wheresgeorge.com' is they originally (and probably out of complete nativity) endorsed violating federal law.

Now they keep themselves protected with a degree of "Eh I dunno what are users do"

#9 What happened to the official Where's George? Rubber stamps?

We no longer sell any Where's George? rubber stamps. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

(It was "we make $ helping you violate federal law, OOPS!")

So eek, can't help you there reply.

#10 So, where can I get a rubber stamp?

We really can't help you there. Sorry. But any local office supply store may make one for you. There are also many online custom stamp makers on the Internet.

Ok, "wink" they can tell you where to get a custom stamp as long as they don't imply what its for

Again, they hands off, leaving up to the user to determine if they violate the law.

#2 Bill Marking

Where's George? does not encourage the defacement of U.S Currency. If you choose to mark your bills, do so in a reasonable and prudent manner. Please see the FAQ page for the legal details, but remember, the bill must not be 'unfit to be re-issued.' If you deface the bills in such a manner that does render the bills 'unfit to be re-issued,' you may violate the law.

But however they are an LLC, and DO make money from this, by allowing users to risk:

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/ge...=Cite:+18USC333

TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I--CRIMES

CHAPTER 17--COINS AND CURRENCY

Sec. 333. Mutilation of national bank obligations

Whoever mutilates, cuts, defaces, disfigures, or perforates, or

unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill,

draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking

association, or Federal Reserve bank, or the Federal Reserve System,

with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of

debt unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned

not more than six months, or both.

I agree its a neat idea, tracking where in the world a $ will go, but I think its

even more cool to find a loophole where users walk violating federal law at the same

time.