Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ladybird

Cheating in MMO's

Guest Ladybird

I must first say that I abhor cheating in games, I have left a few because illegal bots etc make life unbearable. I don't really want to open a can of worms but feel I need to comment on this simple observation....

There is a lot of talk on these forms and elsewhere about what will happen to people who cheat etc but when I visit www.eternal-lands.com, I notice on the front page no less than 3 ads for sites who sell WoW gold etc (illegal).

I just think that it's not good form to complain about cheats in EL if EL are promoting cheating in other games!

Edited by Ladybird

Cheating or not, it ruins all mmorpg's big time

Unfortunately, as long as there are buyers, there always be the sellers, elliminating $/gc trades is impossible

Guest Ladybird

It is cheating, yes. Blizzard have taken some sites to court and won the cases but more and more spring up each day, as Cruella says, it totally ruins the game for legitimate players

I don't see the ads due to Adblock Plus, however as they are provided by Google, they aren't the fault of the Eternal Lands team but of the algorithm that tells Google what ads people that view the site might be interested in. As this is an MMORPG it's not so unlikely that people visiting eternal-lands.com might be interested in other MMORPGs, thus the ads for WoW currency.

Then there's the question whether it's illegal to make advertisements for something that's against the rules of a game ("Move the rook diagonally"), which I'd find hard to believe.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to that - as Ermabwed said, the ads are being randomly chosen by the ads engine. However, if anyone cares, afaik you can define preferred as well as banned keywords in Google Ads.

Free Online MMORPG Games

More than 200 MMORPG completely free

www.onrpg.com

Free MMORPG Games

Play with Friends. Save Pangaea! 100% Free To Play. Play a Game Now.

GamesCampus.com/Asda-Story-Beta

Lord of the Rings Online

PC Game of the Year FREE 14-Day Trial!

www.codemasters.com/trylotro/google

BloodWars

Exciting, free online game. Become a Vampire Lord and fight!

www.bloodwars.net

Ads by Google

Not one about gold farming.

Quite often recently I have seen ads from a site with an Eternal Lands info page, should we worry about that? Or should we think "yay Google is actually advertising EL"?

Guest Ladybird

Labrat, I really hope you weren't implying I had made it up or was telling lies!

Anyway, just in case, I went back to EL page and now there are 4 ads for illegal WoW stuff, copy/pasted here to take away any doubt about my integrity...

Buy Cheap EU WoW Gold

Unbeatable Price & +20% Bonus Fully stocked & <5 Minutes Delivery

www.MMOP.com/Cheapest-WoW-Gold

Buy £7/1,000 W¤W Gold

Cheaper than any other site Instant Delivery 24X7. Hurry Now!

wow.VCSale.com

World Gold

Buy 1000 W o W Gold For £1 Legal and Got Free gold here !

Itemrate.com

Buy Wow Character

Find the lowest prices. Compare UK retailers, get great deals!

www.dealtime.co.uk

As far as I know and IMHO, an EL info site is not quite the same as an ad which blatantly goes against a game's terms of use, for example Blizzard's:-

Ownership/Selling of the Account or Virtual Items.

Blizzard does not recognize the transfer of Accounts. You may not purchase, sell, gift or trade any Account, or offer to purchase, sell, gift or trade any Account, and any such attempt shall be null and void. Blizzard owns, has licensed, or otherwise has rights to all of the content that appears in the Program. You agree that you have no right or title in or to any such content, including the virtual goods or currency appearing or originating in the Game, or any other attributes associated with the Account or stored on the Service. Blizzard does not recognize any virtual property transfers executed outside of the Game or the purported sale, gift or trade in the "real world" of anything related to the Game. Accordingly, you may not sell items for "real" money or otherwise exchange items for value outside of the Game.

Edited by Ladybird

google is evil

the content of the adds may change and also its possible that a previous google search about this topic, or visiting a corresponding website, affect which ads are displayed.

I am sure if you let the administration know about these "illegal" bots, that they can and will solve the problem. We can assure you that there are none of these gold sellers (to the point of stone's article) in EL.

adbots get banned in WoW imediately as well as im annoyed by them anyways. andn yes.. there are the WoW Gold ads on eternal lands

website.. but please read who is making that ad... "Ads by GOOGLE" so there is no fault by the Eternal Lands Developement team at all.

Anyways i dont quite see what you are pointing at naming WoW here on EL Forums with no visible fault by our Devs.

I am sure if you let the administration know about these "illegal" bots, that they can and will solve the problem. We can assure you that there are none of these gold sellers (to the point of stone's article) in EL.
Sure EL has gold sellers, quite a few in fact.

Learner himself openly advertises the fact he sells gold coins and you aren't going to get much higher than him ingame without dealing with Teh Gods.

I myself admit to having sold the odd few 10 million gc here and there but I certainly wouldn't go and do a google ad about it :closedeyes:

This is not an ad for me selling any GC at the moment as that is a blatant rule violation, merely clearing up a misconception Hannibal has.

In transactions such as this it is truly a case of "caveat emptor et venditor" which is why it tends to be done quietly.

Eternal Lands takes no responsibility for real world trades.

And no Ladybird I did not mean to imply that you were lying, I have seen the ads myself but it just happened on the page I was on there were no ads regarding gc trading.

Edit: upon this page reloading here is what I got:

Eternal Lands

Will You Conquer The World? Free Massive Role Playing Games Online!

www.onrpg.com

Lord of the Rings Online

PC Game of the Year FREE 14-Day Trial!

www.codemasters.com/trylotro/google

BloodWars

Exciting, free online game. Become a Vampire Lord and fight!

www.bloodwars.net

Eudemons Online MMORPG

Forever free to play. Raise pets, duel, pk, make friends & enemies.

eo.91.com

With the EL ad linking to http://www.onrpg.com/games/overview/152?gc...CFQpYQgodLBuFqg

Edited by LabRat

It's a free world, why should we care? I have no problem with people paying others for the time they spent gathering items for them.. Can't understand why Blizzard and those new world order corporations are crying, they still make billions of money.

The forum is on a free or relatively free site, so it is paid for by allowing the advertising to be displayed. Now, EL is against cheating, but we are also against paying for a forum if the game itself is not making any money (i.e. no subscriptions to buy to play). Now, if you would like to donate a site to us to host the forum on, we will no longer have to use something with the ads by Google. Looking at the two evils (1: advertising other games that involve cheating; and 2: paying for a site for a free game to have a forum), I would have to say that the second choice is a worse evil.

It is hard to say that selling dollars for gc's is cheating as it aplies to this game. Since this game makes 100% of its revenue from services/items sold for dollars. They sell name changes/race's size reductions/enhacements. They sell trade bot / gaurd bot privilages, guild map privalages. Books/essces/some stones and some weapons. A lot of people owe thier latest rostogol to a person buying from shop and selling in game, or a lot of thermal serps etc. When this happens, gc's in game become a "currecy" of there own. So trading dollars/euros/gc's is all the same to the games owners as those gc's are entering / leaving game at the rate that makes the gods happy, and the dollars in a lot of these cases are paying for the guild maps/thermal serps, rosto stones, name changes etc. I dont spend very many dollars at the shop. Only a few bots, a few name changes and a p2p race in the past. To be honest, if the only hobby you have is a game like this 20-50 dollars a month is not an unreasonable amount of money to spend on a hobby. So I would say anyone can do it if they like. It would also be impossibly hard to police if this gc`s dollars trading was outlawed. It would bring less revenue to the game. Cheating would be having 50 alts harvesting and selling gc`s or trading to help one main alt) and I think the mods police this very well

Sure EL has gold sellers, quite a few in fact.

Learner himself openly advertises the fact he sells gold coins and you aren't going to get much higher than him ingame without dealing with Teh Gods.

I myself admit to having sold the odd few 10 million gc here and there but I certainly wouldn't go and do a google ad about it ;)

This is not an ad for me selling any GC at the moment as that is a blatant rule violation, merely clearing up a misconception Hannibal has.

http://www.onrpg.com/games/overview/152?gc...CFQpYQgodLBuFqg

Notice: To the point of stone's article. I indeed know gc is bought and sold in-game, I myself have bought and sold millions. What I mean is there are no Eternal Lands workshops working to pump out gc for profit; merely individuals looking for a few bucks.

The advertising is a bit tilted to the deceptive/dishonest side. I've already pointed this out before (to the administration) about an ad that suggested you could play eternal lands through the link, only to follow the link (being curious and wanting to help out by clicking the sponsers) to find it was nothing but adware with crappy games.

While I can see the arguments, "no one's getting hurt", "it helps pay the bills." I also think, at a point, integrity comes into question. Obviously google doesn't care what they advertise(get paid for) as long as they're not getting sued for it. So where is the boundry then? I can't say I know... I do know this type of thing does strike me as dishonest/shady (by google and the people paying them...)

I think you should be commended for pointing this out and the fact that many others have noted this too illustrates that there is some sort of impact (I can't think of how it'd be positive...)

You miss the point a bit Hannibal ;)

This thread isnt about anything that happens in EL... it was supposed to "point" at some advertising made on the official page, which we know now (reading the posts) is nothing EL/devs/anyone else did. Sheeshs last post is a good answer.

The forum is on a free or relatively free site, so it is paid for by allowing the advertising to be displayed. Now, EL is against cheating, but we are also against paying for a forum if the game itself is not making any money (i.e. no subscriptions to buy to play). Now, if you would like to donate a site to us to host the forum on, we will no longer have to use something with the ads by Google. Looking at the two evils (1: advertising other games that involve cheating; and 2: paying for a site for a free game to have a forum), I would have to say that the second choice is a worse evil.
Happily. Entropy already has space on my server for the client download mirror, if he should decide he wants to run the EL forums from there he can do so with my blessing.

No point having 100Mb/s unlimited upload/download (31.4 terabyes per month) without trying to make the best use of it is there?

Since I indirectly sell gold coins (why do you think people buy rostos?), and since we allow gold farming in EL, I obviously do not consider buying gold for $$$ as cheating.

That gold comes from the game, by normal game mechanics, so there is no problem by it being redistributed around.

There is a huge difference between el gold and p2p games gold.

I bought in the past Rostos from the shop to pk a bit and that was it. If i wanted to buy a Nexus i should pay a lot of cash.

In p2p games with 200 gold through enchanting you can add to your char stats like 80 stamina+16 agility.

1000 gold is 400 extra stamina+80 agility.

Thats why they have caps for a period in p2p games.

And that's the reason why people do other things. They want to level up through gold-items and pk.

Leveling is gold-item-pk based and not training based like el.

Edited by agis29

Guest Ladybird

I know the forum is free, (although the ads are not displayed on the forum but on EL's front page) I know EL is against cheating....what people are missing and what I am trying to point out is that the displaying of these ads seems to suggest that EL is against cheating in THEIR game, but not others. The point is that Googleads can be tailored, you can ban certain words etc. It takes a few minutes to do this and out of respect to other game companies is exactly what I, myself, would do. I can't speak for others.

Somehow this post has turned into a gold farming discussion :P Entropy seems to think that because HE doesn't object to certain things, other games shouldn't either. Well, some people don't object to walking into a shop and appropriating an item without paying for it, but the shop owner and the police do! The point is that those ads are advertising something which the company in question deem as cheating/illegal and is against their terms of use. Whether I or anyone else agree/disagree with those terms of use is not an issue.

Edited by Ladybird

According to this website: https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/...9&topic=154 you cannot filter ads by keyword, only 'competitors' domains by URL. Seems that EL has no choice in this, unless someone is willing to spend a lot of time on manually blocking such advertisements, and I think we have better things to do with our time.

Edited by Maxine

So basically what ur saying is u get ur own domain name/site only by allowing google to have ads here?

btw i dont see any ads, i have ZA Complete security system :) [thx dib] :P

Edited by bigkav