Eternal Lands Official Forums
sTroker

EternalBroker

Could this bot be exempt from the #ignore_bots command? Currently it seems that this command puts this bot on ignore.

I'd like to request that EternalBroker be allowed to post to players that have used the command, mainly because this bot does not benifit from the ads it posts on behalf of players.

I personally use #ingore_bots myself but would like to be able to see what EternalBroker is posting without having to #ignore 700 bots manually. And anyone that doesn't like this bot can simply #ignore it one time :)

Thanks

Could this bot be exempt from the #ignore_bots command? Currently it seems that this command puts this bot on ignore.

I'd like to request that EternalBroker be allowed to post to players that have used the command, mainly because this bot does not benifit from the ads it posts on behalf of players.

I personally use #ingore_bots myself but would like to be able to see what EternalBroker is posting without having to #ignore 700 bots manually. And anyone that doesn't like this bot can simply #ignore it one time :icon13:

Thanks

It's an all or nothing deal or Ent will get flooded with requests as to why their bot shouldn't be ignored.

Since EternalBroker is my bot, and it's designed for helping the community, i think, the idea is not that bad.

I support that suggestion :icon13:

Piper

Edited by The_Piper

Perhaps, instead of coding which bots it doesn't apply to, how difficult would an #exempt command be?

Usage:

After #ignore_bots, #exempt BotX shows messages from BotX on channels (basically an #Unignore feature for bots)

Perhaps, instead of coding which bots it doesn't apply to, how difficult would an #exempt command be?

Usage:

After #ignore_bots, #exempt BotX shows messages from BotX on channels (basically an #Unignore feature for bots)

Then there would have to be major changes in the server for the player to track what bots to block or not. You might as well just go back to #ignore which is in the client.

If you wanted to be able to ignore all bots and then not ignore some.....

Option A:

I think there would have to be an identifier in the message that gets sent to the client that would say it is a bot.

Then, all the bot spam would still be sent to the clients, Entropy's bandwidth would be clogged by the bots and nobody would know a difference except in Grue attacks.

The clients would sort it out from there.

Option B:

Their would need to be a database that shows if the person wishes to ignore "all bots" and what exceptions there are. That may take less than 1MB of data, but would require all bot messages on channels to be first checked against that table to see if they will go to that person. For 500 people and 100 bots, that would be up to 10,000 database checks per minute and Entropy's server might melt down and we would be out of a game to play.

I understand why Entropy decided on the method he used. It is better not to tax the servers. It must be a pain trying to keep your wallet, your servers and your players happy.

He decided on a way that works 100% / 100% / 80% for that goal.

If you don't want to ignore all bots, you could turn off the ignore bots once in a while, see what is up and then ignore them again.