Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bigshock28

Trinitybot on PK server

I started a rather short conversation on channel 1 about the usefulness of Trinitybot on PK server. I personally think this would be useful for any new player starting on this server. I only started a week ago and didn't know NPC prices or player prices. I think having this bot over here to tell PK server prices would be useful. I had to make 2 trips to WS NPC because i didn't know how much their prices were. I didn't know that titanium longs went for 2k here and such. Point is the prices are different and for a newer player to the server it would be helpful and time saving for them to be able to make a single pm to a bot to learn the price instead of wasting other people's time asking on channels or making a trip to the bot to find out.

There are other ways people mentioned to get around it such as making it so you can PM NPCs for prices. But if you did that you would either 1. Memorize all the names of the NPCs or ones you use. 2. Ask someone for the name. 3. Travel to the NPC

(waste of time).

One problem is Torg hasn't been online and idk if anyone can get a hold of him.

Also someone mentioned how on main they always use Rraisa. That would be more of a pain since idk anyone who uses channel 3 to advertise, everyone uses channel 1. So the bot would need to be changed or everyone use channel 3.

Opinions, suggestions, etc?

Is it really easier to bring up a browser, go to CEL site, bring up items page, pick the respective item, and scroll down andlook at the price when you can just /trinitybot pc item name? No, it's not. And don't worry about wrong prices we could get someone active to manage it... *waits for someone to offer*

There is supposedly someone "actively managing" trinitybot on the other server and his prices are wrong almost all of the time...if he even has a price for it.

Doc

**edit: and yes, cel website is much easier than walking back and forth to wsc to check prices like you were doing.

Edited by Doc_Savage

Is it really easier to bring up a browser, go to CEL site, bring up items page, pick the respective item, and scroll down andlook at the price when you can just /trinitybot pc item name? No, it's not. And don't worry about wrong prices we could get someone active to manage it... *waits for someone to offer*

From this statement I understand you won't be a volunteer to update/manage the information on trinitybot.

Being too lazy to open a browser with all the information when you have 10-20 players online on the PK Server during the day is not an advantage, believe me.

Since you were playing I've seen people selling Potion of Spirit Restoration with prices varying from 15gc to 24gc. The Market changes too fast to have a price on a bot, that those selling will always ignore. It's just an extra bot, with extra work for someone, that will bring no advantage.

Like i posted before in another post, some people would rather pay 20gc to get the items at storage than 15gc at the NPC, because they have to walk. This game has more maps than IP, DP, VOTD and with so little people there's plenty of space for everyone to visit them (and walk).

All we need on this server is for the NPC to be completed by Radu when he has time for it, so that they can sell/buy and if possible have a command to check their prices/inventory.

Again, NO to trinitybot and NO to rraisa.

Actually i volunteered to be the one to walk to all the NPCs and write down the prices if needed. If sacrificing 5 hours of one day will accumulate a savings of days for everyone that's fine with me. And what if you want to know what to sell for but no one else is selling? It would be a good base and in the end it will save time for everyone in the end.

Just my 2 cents.

if you walk all that and take you notes be aware that you wil only get the prices for yourself and others like you. What to I mean by this:

if you are guildless you will get the prices for everyone in general

if you have a guild neutral to the guild that owns the NPC, the prices will be the same as for everyone in general

if you have a guild ally to the guild that owns the NPC, the prices are set differently and can be lower/same as prices for everyone in general

if you have a guild that is enemy to the guild that own the NPC, prices will be higher or probably won't even sell to you.

On an NPC you can set prices for Guild members, Allies, Enemies and Others. The only people that can know all those prices, for the NPC that they manage, are the owners/managers of each of the NPC.

Actually i volunteered to be the one to walk to all the NPCs and write down the prices if needed. If sacrificing 5 hours of one day will accumulate a savings of days for everyone that's fine with me. And what if you want to know what to sell for but no one else is selling? It would be a good base and in the end it will save time for everyone in the end.

Just my 2 cents.

I will try to explain this one last time. There is no need to spend 5 hours walking around to discover NPC prices. The people in the Cel guild have already done this for the community and then posted all of the information on their website. If you still choose to walk around to each NPC that is great. I just want you to understand just how difficult you are making a very simple task.

Doc

Reading and re-reading this thread, I think there's one point of confusion that's not clear above. When people talk about NPC prices:

* SOME people are talking about the GUILD NPCs that you rent, set prices and sell items.

* SOME people are talking about the SHOP NPCs that have fixed prices (never change) and are mostly documented on the CEL site.

I would agree that trinitybot for store prices isn't worth the work involved.

Trinitybot for GUILD NPC prices might be useful, but I also agree with those above that Entropy finiishinig the implimentation of the NPCs would be much more useful.

And of course sales bots are way more useful that Guild NPCs and I'd be in favor of those too.

I started a rather short conversation on channel 1 about the usefulness of Trinitybot on PK server.

I was wondering when this would come up... ;-)

I was thinking about setting up Trin on the PK server but didn't think it would be useful until there were more people using it. I am certainly happy to load her up there if people would like it, and if people would keep her up-to-date.

One problem is Torg hasn't been online and idk if anyone can get a hold of him.

I am not online in-game much (on any server), but I am active on the forums (especially in the programming forum), and Trin emails me when someone uses her msg command. I also have my ICQ, MSN and Yahoo details available (if not here, then on the LNX forums) so in theory, it should be quite simple to get a hold of me.

Reading and re-reading this thread, I think there's one point of confusion that's not clear above. When people talk about NPC prices:

* SOME people are talking about the GUILD NPCs that you rent, set prices and sell items.

* SOME people are talking about the SHOP NPCs that have fixed prices (never change) and are mostly documented on the CEL site.

I would agree that trinitybot for store prices isn't worth the work involved.

This is of course an important point. The SHOP NPC prices can easily be obtained from CEL, but for the GUILD NPC's it might be worth having a list of prices accessible via Trin. If so, I would be happy to code the extra functionality into her to support specific NPC lookups or something, depending on how people would like it to work.

And don't worry about wrong prices we could get someone active to manage it... *waits for someone to offer*
There is supposedly someone "actively managing" trinitybot on the other server and his prices are wrong almost all of the time...if he even has a price for it.

I'm sorry that she isn't as up-to-date as people (I) would like, and I agree that she looses a bit of usefulness being out-of-date. I am trying to fix this, but it relies on help from the community.

Out of interest, I don't actively play EL any more, but I am active on the client dev team when I have time (I implemented the new sound effects engine). Because of this I don't have any idea of prices these days and hence don't try to keep her up-to-date myself.

Yes, there is meant to be a team of people "actively managing" Trin's prices, but how active people are fluctuates. I have tried to provide the means for people to update her faster and easier, but it still drifts from people's minds too fast.

I have got plans for her to send a weekly email to the update team as a reminder, as well as providing a list of un-actioned "suggestions" and "old" prices, so hopefully she will be more accurate in the future. As of yet I haven't had time to finish, test and activate it.

Because of her needing to rely on community help, I think she might have a chance on the PK server. I certainly don't mind the community appointing a group of people they trust to update her prices, or alternatively allowing everyone on the server to update her prices (only for the PK server of course) if people would like that*. There is certainly also the ability to allow everyone to update her price list initially to get her database filled, and then at a later stage restrict who can update her.

I am also open the suggestions for other things people might like implemented in her, such as the ability to check prices from both the PK server prices list and the main server (with a different command).

Naturally, the guild NPC's price list thing would have the same updating problems as her general price list and it would require either the people running the guild NPC's to update her when they update their NPC, or people to update her when they notice a change. Unfortunately, due to this it would be quite probable she would become out-of-date again.

*She has a record of changes to prices so things could be undone if someone decides to be dumb and set all the prices to 0 and we could work out any other problems that might arise if that is the way people would like it to happen.