Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
handyman

Future of the mage

We have been discussing in channel on the PK server about Mages a lot recently and have come up with a few ideas

The main discussion is about Magic Immunity (the mages worst enemy) and how to counteract it.

A few ideas

1 Mage perk that gave you a say 10 % chance of breaking through MI also you could incorporate some other benefits like raised armour level into the perk

2 just change the spell MI so that there is always a chance of breaking through it. The higher the Magic level (mage level) the better percentage of break through

I personally like the first one because it's a perk directed at mages

Next a new spell

Spell of freezing: Paralyse your opponent say from 2-10 seconds depending on magic/mage level

I am a pure fighter so a poor mage

I am just trying to find ways of making pk more interesting and being able to use a top mage against a top fighter

At the moment with MI and red capes a top mage would not stand a chance especially on PK server with no cool down

What do you think?

Handyman Thor

the freezing spell i like.

Seems like a nice spell to have if u have more than 1 person with you and your trying to get a person running away.

Next a new spell

Spell of freezing: Paralyse your opponent say from 2-10 seconds depending on magic/mage level

Personally i like the idea. I would also make it level 60 Magic and have a 50% chance to ignore Magic Immunity. ("OMFG that would ruin PK!")

Magic Immunity is a level 30 spell would make sense if a spell that requires 2x more levels to be able to overpower it, at least for me.

i think the best idea would just be that the higher the difference is to the magic level of your opponement (meaning if youre higher than em) the higher the chance to break through his MI,

its a fair option that would please everyone and encourage magic training imo

"Magic Immunity" seems over-powerful for its level. I'd suggest it should only protect against magic affecting the individual, and not from physical effects of magic which takes place elsewhere.

For example, a "fireball" spell would take place at the caster, but what affects the target is a ball of fire, which "magic immunity" doesn't protect against; heat/fire protection is needed instead.

On the same principle, "magic immunity" should stop any magic affecting the individual, not just the ones they want. So if you protect yourself with "magic immunity", you cannot receive "heal" or "remote heal" spells.

On the same principle, "magic immunity" should stop any magic affecting the individual, not just the ones they want. So if you protect yourself with "magic immunity", you cannot receive "heal" or "remote heal" spells.

Very clever... That does seem right :)

Very clever... That does seem right :)

sarcsasm strikes i hope :S

that would make magic immunity totally useless. either you dont MI and get slaughtered frequently by

100+ harms, or you use magic immunity and die within 5 hits because you cant heal..

IF you want that to work there would need to be much more changed, such as healing potions healing

an greater amount of your material points etc, too much work for only tweeking MI if you ask me.

"Magic Immunity" seems over-powerful for its level. I'd suggest it should only protect against magic affecting the individual, and not from physical effects of magic which takes place elsewhere.

For example, a "fireball" spell would take place at the caster, but what affects the target is a ball of fire, which "magic immunity" doesn't protect against; heat/fire protection is needed instead.

Thats ebul. No really. But one hell of a thought...

I am just trying to find ways of making pk more interesting and being able to use a top mage against a top fighter

As I have understood the very lengthy topics on MI that have been posted recently, the biggest arguement against this was the fact that the top mage would BE the top fighter also? At least that is how things lie at present since the top fighters all possess very high magic levels...

2 just change the spell MI so that there is always a chance of breaking through it. The higher the Magic level (mage level) the better percentage of break through

Other opinions on this idea were along the lines of the MI caster Magic level also being taken into account to determine a reduction in the chance of the spell breaking through the MI. (Not just the level of the caster trying to break the MI).

Scorpius's post reflects that approach and is, to my knowledge, the most fair opinion all-round in bringing this idea into use.

My final observation is that this thread suggesting MI bypass has been created by people using PK server ie PKERS, which leaves me somewhat gobsmacked. I thought PKERS in general were against having an MI bypass until now! :)

lol pye :)

I would say some pker may just beeing a little bit too selfish :hehe:

gotta admit i didnt pk in a while, but imo there should always be a compromise that pleases both

sides, after all to my knowledge and as you said all the top pkers have really neat magic level too lol :)

i think the hardest part for the idea i posted is to find a fair formular so its not like all highlevels can just

bruise through lil jimmys MI while hes on a journey. :)

But i guess thats where the idea busts off in dust again as the arguement will start that higher levels

should be rewarded against the idea that newbies shouldnt be harmed too much by that.

If you have a look ingame under your knowledge list there is : Magic Immunity removal ward Book so something is planned

just a thought. but wouldnt it be cool if we implemented AOE (area of effect) spells.

like the freezing spell maybe it could effect any monster or non ally within a certain distance.

or spells to heal a group of ppl and not just yourself or 1 person..

this is just an example. my guildies and friends sometimes like to go out and team up on monsters stronger than we normally fight.. but in a group we can kill them. its fun... well it would be cool to have some one. (with a relativly high magic lvl i might add) that could caste a restore spell on the group..

or cast negative spells like freezing on a group of monsters.

same could be used for pk.. positive spells effect your guildies and any allies you have.

negative spell effect anyone else...

i know that leaves out those who dont have a guild. but its just an idea. im sure some one else could find a way to make it work alot better than i could.

this is just an example. my guildies and friends sometimes like to go out and team up on monsters stronger than we normally fight.. but in a group we can kill them. its fun... well it would be cool to have some one. (with a relativly high magic lvl i might add) that could caste a restore spell on the group..

or cast negative spells like freezing on a group of monsters.

The day Eternal Lands is able to have the choice to go mage I believe those spells will be around and it's great you brought them up.

Till then we have to show the P/C/V minds that there's more to EL than a Sword and Armor.

I agree with Segor.

Just some questions...

1)Can a mage wear full plate or just leather?

2)Can a mage use a thermal serp or only a wand?

3)Should a mage be able to fight with melee weapons or only from distance?

At the moment only perks (not spells) make sense.