Eternal Lands Official Forums
rasberrybeard

Are you an EL oldbie?

Are you an EL oldbie?  

320 members have voted

1. 1. How long have you been playing EL?

• 4+ years or More.
    • 3+ years
    • 2+ years
    • 1+ years
    • 1 year or less.

Just curious how many of you out there are "EL oldbies". This game tends to bring back older players over and over again, so I think its a valid poll. I personally am at around the 3 year mark. :)

I always was bad with times and I never knew for sure how long I've played, I recently checked up on my first forum account, made a few months after I started. Must be about 4 years and a month or 3-4.

So, 4+ years or more for me.

-Blee

It's been my experience that players rarely remember when they started playing. I've had players tell me they've been in game for 7 years before :S

And also, when asking about "oldbies" - you need to define what that means. I remember when the term was used more often that 1/2 the oldbies considered themselves elite b/c they had been playing 2-3 months more than the other 1/2. Quite petty, but they seemed to think it made all the difference in the world

I didnt vote. b/c like gra said. im one of the ones who doesnt know exactly how long its been. its anywere from 3 4 but im not sure.. i can look at when i joined the forums. as a guide. .but i was playing EL for a long time it seemed before i figured out we had a forum LOOL

I don't like the term 'oldbie'. I've met enough people with the "I'm oldbie I'm 1337" attitude Ghrae mentioned. The only reason to feel MUCH better than others was playing a bit longer than others. On the other hand most of the oldbies I met never claimed this title for themselves.

Just recently I had a silly conversation with a so-called oldbie trying to prove me my lack of knowledge about the game (this person was extremely surprised that artificial nexus is utilized by other skills than manufacturing).

All in all:

:) for 1337-oldbies

September 2005, no clue as to how I remember that...

Ghrae has a good point, if I played one character only for an average 1 hour per day since then I might be no longer N0uB! In the meantime I have a pile of alts and 3 or 4 main incarnations plus don't have the time to play regularly, so newbie I remain! :)

I started around march 2004 .....Those were the days!!

Jez

I started a little less than 4 years ago here, I think, though I was only actually playing for like half that.

And like Ghrae said, people often don't remember, and tend to lean towards the playing-for-longer part when they aren't sure (or they just blatantly exaggerate).

Its funny, the game looks almost exactly the same, still have a lot of people making the same items and such, but changes in the community are definitely the most noticeable.

I'm quite sure i started playing ~3 months before i had my forum account... and my forum account itself is now more than 2 years old... so 2+ years here.

i will have my 3 years anniversary some time soon =)

i only know i started august 05 =) thats all i know

I originally started playing about a month after this game was featured in Linux Format Magazine. Can't remember how long ago that was, but it's been quite a while and a few chars :)

That means you started playing in March of '06, in case you were curious. :(

I wasn't aware "oldbie" was a 1337ist term. I didnt mean it like that. It was just another way of saying youve been around the block for a while. :)

I know for certain I started playing EL in early/mid March of 05.

That puts me at nearly three and a half years.

To me, the term oldbie in relation to EL will always place original char creation before the time of the infamous crash/wipe (summer of 04?)

While I consider myself an EL veteran... I don't quite meet my own definition of 'oldbie'

(but quite a lot of friends are)

Edited by shallara

when i was in year 3 or 4 at school and im in year 8 just going into 9 now (england school years i duno if other places do it differantly lol) but my friends were saying (cuz they did to) that that wouldv ben when el was very new? and im sure when i joined it wasent that new lol but then again i dont remember anything from then i have a shite memory :/ to b honest i have no ider but thats when me friends av been saying ;/

I originally started playing about a month after this game was featured in Linux Format Magazine. Can't remember how long ago that was, but it's been quite a while and a few chars :)

That means you started playing in March of '06, in case you were curious. :)

It would be nice to see another Linux Format article show casing EL..there has been a lot of changes in the last two years..

If I recall correctly (and I probably don't knowing my attention span back then) I started playing around a few months after my 13th birthday, probably less. My original name was Kieran13, and I'm now 15 (turned in February) so probably just turned two years or so...

I've contemplated actually sending money to find out what date my character was created, just for sentimental sake. I don't care about being a 1337 oldtimer, I remember as far back as the in-storable food, that seems about it.

edit: I have a bad memory... Food was only made storable about a year ago. I did have an account for several months before joining the forums though.

Edited by Aphistolas

I started playing in September of 2005 so just short of 3 years. Remember the fuss and feathers when cooldown was introduced, but big crash was before my time....not something I really mind having missed. :)