Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guest_Matt_*

Linux CVS Install

Guest Guest_Matt_*

My name is Matt, and I've never done a CVS install. (This is where you all welcome me and applaud my horrifying confession. Only 11 steps to go...)

I browsed the CVS repository and felt thoroughly lost. Can anyone give me a quick rundown on doing a CVS install? I have Slack 12.0, so I'm quite familiar with compiling/building rough packages for myself. I've just never done CVS, and have no idea where to begin (or even what to download).

Thanks, all!

Matt

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.elc.berlios.de:/cvsroot/elc login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.elc.berlios.de:/cvsroot/elc co elc
cd elc
make -f Makefile.linux

When asked for a password, hit Enter (leave it empty).

You'll need several -dev libraries in order to build from source, like cal3D, alut, SDL, SDL-net and such.

The compiler warnings/error will tell you which are missing. :)

From http://download.gna.org/cal3d/sources/, which file(s) is (are) necessary to compile what I need for cal3D?

Hmm, no clue what you need from there. None of the tarball seems to be a development version.

On the other hand, I've never worked with a source based distribution like slack...so no clue. :)

I also need to get alut, but already have the SDLs you mentioned. Any others?

That's what ldd says:

linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
	libSDL-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0 (0xb7ea7000)
	libxml2.so.2 => /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2 (0xb7d8d000)
	libSDL_net-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libSDL_net-1.2.so.0 (0xb7d89000)
	libSDL_image-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libSDL_image-1.2.so.0 (0xb7d6e000)
	libopenal.so.0 => /usr/lib/libopenal.so.0 (0xb7d32000)
	libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 (0xb7ca5000)
	libGLU.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1 (0xb7c26000)
	libcal3d.so.12 => /usr/lib/libcal3d.so.12 (0xb7ba8000)
	libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libm.so.6 (0xb7b83000)
	libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0xb7b6f000)
	libpng12.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0 (0xb7b4c000)
	libvorbis.so.0 => /usr/lib/libvorbis.so.0 (0xb7b23000)
	libvorbisfile.so.3 => /usr/lib/libvorbisfile.so.3 (0xb7b1c000)
	libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xb7b11000)
	libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6 (0xb79e0000)
	libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xb78f4000)
	libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xb780f000)
	libasound.so.2 => /usr/lib/libasound.so.2 (0xb774d000)
	libdl.so.2 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libdl.so.2 (0xb7749000)
	libdirectfb-0.9.so.25 => /usr/lib/libdirectfb-0.9.so.25 (0xb76f2000)
	libfusion-0.9.so.25 => /usr/lib/libfusion-0.9.so.25 (0xb76ec000)
	libdirect-0.9.so.25 => /usr/lib/libdirect-0.9.so.25 (0xb76dd000)
	libvga.so.1 => /usr/lib/libvga.so.1 (0xb767d000)
	libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0 (0xb766a000)
	libGLcore.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1 (0xb6de4000)
	libnvidia-tls.so.1 => /usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1 (0xb6de2000)
	libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (0xb6dd4000)
	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7f6c000)
	libogg.so.0 => /usr/lib/libogg.so.0 (0xb6dcf000)
	libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0xb6dcb000)
	libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xb6dc6000)

From http://download.gna.org/cal3d/sources/, which file(s) is (are) necessary to compile what I need for cal3D?

I also need to get alut, but already have the SDLs you mentioned. Any others?

Thanks, Gampa!

Matt

http://download.gna.org/cal3d/sources/cal3d-0.11.0.tar.gz

http://www.openal.org/openal_webstf/downlo...ut-1.1.0.tar.gz

which depends on:

http://openal.org/openal_webstf/downloads/...al-0.0.8.tar.gz

and that depends on a few other things.. artsc, vorbis, smpeg.. might be optional though

HTH

Edited by gp_

Guest Guest_Matt_*

Thanks for the links. I already had everything but cal3D. I found freealut and openal in pkgtool from a previous install. (Just didn't know what they were called so I could find them.)

I just compiled and installed cal3D, and I'm now creating the Makefile from CVS. I'll let you know how it goes...

Thanks again for all the help. You've been...helpful.

Matt

Guest Guest_Matt_*

After I make the Makefile (I'm not there yet), do I just use the standard:

./configure

make

make install

(Altered, of course, to make a slack package and install it properly.)

Matt

You don't have to make a Makefile. It is in the elc directory you got from CVS.

So in order to compile, go to the elc directory and just use make:

cd elc
make -f Makefile.linux

The binary will be located in elc aswell. No ./configure or make install needed.

Guest Guest_Matt_*

OK, so after I do

make -f Makefile.linux

it's built, and I can just plop it in a directory and use it? I don't need to package anything?

What fun is that? :D

Matt

it's built, and I can just plop it in a directory and use it? I don't need to package anything?

What fun is that? :D

Yes, that's it :rolleyes:. If you have a servers.lst file in your ~/.elc directory and the correct path for the data (from the zip)

in your ~/elc/main/el.ini file (look for #data_dir there), you can even run the binary from any location you want;

e.g. the cvs directory. No file moving around necessary.

Guest Guest_Matt_*

Success! :P

Again...no fun for a Slacker. Maybe I'll create a package anyway just to keep track of it.

Status: From the console it loads (still trouble with the graphics, and no joy on the new driver), I can create a new character (but not now...wife is looking over my shoulder periodically), and all seems well. I can't get it to start from the KDE menu when I create an entry, but I'm still working on it.

Thanks again for all of your help. :laugh: Hopefully I'll see you in-game!

Matt

Guest Guest_Matt_*

I spoke too soon... :(

My machine was shut down over the weekend. Here's what happened:

1. When I tried to start EL this morning, I was greeted by a white screen with colored lines (not text, just lines). Clicking on it brought me to a blank white screen.

2. I tried updating the driver for my GeForce3 Ti 200...kernel headers didn't match the kernel.

3. As root, ran "make modules" (to get the headers to match my custom kernel)

4. Rebooted the computer to console, and upgraded the NVidia Legacy driver to version 96.43.07 (the latest version).

5. Started KDE

6. Opened a console -> cd /opt/Eternal-Lands/ (that's the directory it's in) -> ./el.x86.linux.bin

7. Same screen as before...colored lines on white background. Clicking on it took me to a white screen with a box and colored lines where text should be. It was obviously the rules/agreement screen (I recognized it from when my graphics worked). The mouse cursor didn't appear on the screen, but I managed to find the "I Agree" button and click on it. That took me to a completely blank white screen. I gave up there. :bangwall:

Nothing changed as far as graphics driver or settings between last week's success and this morning's failure. The driver was updated this evening only after it was obvious that something wasn't right.

Any ideas?

Thanks again!

Matt

Guest Guest_Matt_*

Just tried a few more things:

-Turned off shadows, reflections, clouds, point particles, in ~/.elc/main/el.ini (Nothing changed)

-Rebooted (Nothing changed)

Here is the error log I'm getting:

Log started at 2008-07-21 19:53:23 localtime (EDT)

[19:53:23] Using the server profile: main
[19:53:23] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/font.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)
[19:53:23] Unable to find any font textures
[19:53:23] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/login_back.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)
[19:53:23] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/eye_candy/16x16/simple.png in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)
[19:53:23] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/eye_candy/16x16/flare1.png in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)
[19:53:23] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/eye_candy/16x16/flare2.png in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)
[19:53:23] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/eye_candy/16x16/flare3.png in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)
[19:53:23] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/eye_candy/16x16/void1.png in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)
[19:53:23] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/eye_candy/16x16/void2.png in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)
[19:53:23] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/eye_candy/16x16/void3.png in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)

(This goes on for a long, long, long time...)

[19:53:27] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./animations/monster_attack3.caf in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)
[19:53:27] Cal3d error: ./animations/monster_attack3.caf: No error found
[19:53:27] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./animations/monster_fight_in.caf in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)
[19:53:27] Cal3d error: ./animations/monster_fight_in.caf: No error found
[19:53:27] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./animations/monster_fight_out.caf in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)
[19:53:27] Cal3d error: ./animations/monster_fight_out.caf: No error found
[19:53:27] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./animations/monster_fight_idle.caf in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)
[19:53:27] Cal3d error: ./animations/monster_fight_idle.caf: No error found
[19:53:27] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./meshes/leprechaun.cmf in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)
[19:53:27] Cal3d error: ./meshes/leprechaun.cmf: No error found
[19:53:27] Unable to read weather definition file ./weather.xml
[19:53:27] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/gamebuttons.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)
[19:53:27] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/gamebuttons2.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)
[19:53:27] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/console.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)
[19:53:27] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./maps/legend.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)
[19:53:27] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/ground_detail.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)
[19:53:27] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/login_menu.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)
[19:53:27] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/sigils.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)
[19:53:27] Error: Can't open file "quest.log"
[19:53:27] Error: Can't open file "mirrors.lst"
[19:53:27] Error: Can't open file "alias.ini"
[19:53:27] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/thick_clouds.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)
[19:53:27] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/thick_clouds_detail.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)
[19:53:27] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/moonmap.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)
[19:53:27] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/BrightSun.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)
[19:53:33] Client closed

Lastly, here is the output I get in the console after running the el.....bin command:

I/O warning : failed to load external entity "mines.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "sound/sound_config.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "./weather.xml"
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "knowledge.xml"

Thanks again,

Matt

The #data_dir variable in ~/.elc/main/el.ini is pointing to the wrong location.

Maybe you've moved your el directory after runnining the client for the first time?

(Sorry for the name change...I just registered.)

The #data_dir variable in ~/.elc/main/el.ini is pointing to the wrong location.

Maybe you've moved your el directory after runnining the client for the first time?

#data_dir points to /opt/Eternal-Lands, which is where the client is located. This is in both ~/.elc/main/el.ini and /opt/Eternal-Lands/el.ini.

Regarding all of the error messages in the error log: What directory is it referring to with "./textures/..." ? If the program resides in /opt/Eternal-Lands, should there be a directory located at /opt/Eternal-Lands/textures ? If so, it's missing. So is ./animations.

Regarding the I/O warnings on the console: None of those files (*.xml) exist in the Eternal-Lands directory. However, I can find *.c, *.h, and *.o. (Except sound...I guess I didn't install sound yet.)

*sigh* I guess I don't have any more excuses not to do housework...

Muly (Matt)

#data_dir has to point to the location where the game data is - from the linux install .zip.

This includes the mentioned .xml files, the textures and animations directories and lots of other stuff.

The client 'doesn't care' where it's started from. But it has to know where the data is.

(all the models, textures, sounds, etc).

You either have to change #data_dir to the correct location or move the content of

the official linux install .zip to /opt/Eternal-Lands.

Ah...there's the problem! I didn't install from the .zip...I used the commands you gave me earlier in the thread to build from CVS. I just did the same thing (into a new directory just to be safe), and noticed the missing files were never downloaded. They also did not build (if they should have) during 'make.'

So...do I get them from the .zip and just plug them in?

EDIT: I unpacked the .zip file into a new folder, and copied everything from /opt/Eternal-Lands to it, overwriting all. I edited /opt/el_install/el.ini to reflect the new location and blew away ~/.elc. It seems to work now.

Thanks, Gamps! You've been great! (I'll look for you in-game.)

[sOLVED]

Matt

Edited by Muly

You need two things:

- the game data (from the zip on the download page)

- a binary (either from the zip or built from CVS)

So yes, you have to download the zip, unzip it, move the el_install directory it to the desired location,

edit the #data_dir in ~/.elc/main/el.ini to match the path of the data and then run your binary. :D

In CVS there's only the client (and mapeditor) source, no game data. :devlish:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this