Eternal Lands Official Forums
Krones

Performance drops when showing 3D world (Linux)

Description:

I've had this since 1.5 and I hoped it would be worked out on later versions. EL is dropping general computer performace considerably when its window is out of focus (doesn't have kb/mouse input). If I am playing EL and I open an internet browser for example, the whole system freezes for some time (or at least the screen does, background tasks seem not to be affected). The freezing happens every time something obtains focus (changing windows, opening dialog boxes/help boxes and such), and it only happens when EL is open and displaying the 3D world, it doesn't happen on console mode or map.

What I have figured already:

It doesn't seem to be related to the window manager or even to the version of the X server. I have tried with other WM's and have updated X a few times already.

Disabling Eyecandy, changing resolution and on doesn't seem to have any effect on the issue at all.

EL seems to have CPU consumption spikes in this specific situation, and I think that's what causes the freezing.

Useful info:

Debian Linux, SDL, Cal3D and other EL libs updated to the latest versions]

Other 3D apps work fine

GeForce FX2200

AMD Sempron 2800+

I hope this can help EL development and performance. If any further information/test is required I'd gladly do it.

Krones

It's due to your video driver. I had the same issue with the old nvidia driver (100.14.19) but with the newer ones, it doesn't do it again. So just update your video driver and it should be ok.

I was running version 169, which is quite recent. I've updated it to 173. It is better now, the freezing happens less frequently but it is still there, when opening new windows/apps over EL's window when it's showing 3D.

Edited by Krones

I was running version 169, which is quite recent. I've updated it to 173. It is better now, the freezing happens less frequently but it is still there, when opening new windows/apps over EL's window when it's showing 3D.

I had something very similar a while ago. I use Debian (lenny). There was some weird interaction between the kernel and the nvidia drivers. I could keep the same nvidia drivers and have a no problems with the old kernel but problems with the new. Since then I have updated both my drivers and the kernel and the problem has done.

Here is my current version information:

[paul@ron ~]$ nvidia-settings --query NvidiaDriverVersion

Attribute 'NvidiaDriverVersion' (ron:20.0): 173.14.05

[paul@ron ~]$ uname -a
Linux ron 2.6.24-1-686 #1 SMP Thu May 8 02:16:39 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

lol will I have to update my kernel?

Good question, if its not a big problem, why not give it a try? Have you checked the nvidia website release notes for clues?

Edited by bluap

I don't think it's that easy :D

I have many modules compiled for this kernel (read VMware and other stuff)

Maybe keeping the bug is safer... Weird it only happens with EL though

Yes, you were right!

After some headache trying to make NVIDIA drivers go along with new, Xen-supportive kernels, I could make it all work (using a beta). Works fine, AND the bug is gone. Performance still drops while showing the 3D world, but it is within the justifiable/acceptable limit. Ty blueap.

Krones