Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
XenaMT

Simple diction/spelling correction

For the love of all things sacred and holy: :whistle:

You cannot "loose" stuff (ie. no rosto, unless you are letting loose the dogs of war :P). The verb is "to lose" (pronounced luze)

"Loose" (pronounced luus) is how all the kids wear their jeans these days and also describes a girl we all knew in high school.

I know that many do not have English as a first language - and that's cool; but when I see anglophones making this mistake time and again, as an English teacher, it does my head in. :huh:

And please, "accept" is a verb, "except" is a prepositon or conjunction.

Sorry to bring it up, but perhaps others notice this as well?

edit: added a "loose" example

Edited by XenaMT

Hehe, maybe their not that concerned with there mistakes? They could of decided that impresshun making is less important then being pr0?

I've noticed it too, Xena, and I know I make typos or even errors at times, but yes, there are times when it bothers me too how little some people seem to even care about the fact that they make a lot of errors.

As they told me, we all have different things we like to put our energy to. Or is that too? :whistle:

lilcnoot

PS: And do you now what else they might get wrong know? s' and 's ....

Edited by LilBear

Fantastic to see how spelling errors affect people. They especially have a bad effect on Radu in the morning before he's had his coffee. :whistle:

-Blee

Fantastic to see how spelling errors affect people. They especially have a bad effect on Radu in the morning before he's had his coffee. :whistle:

-Blee

Your post is confusing after reading lilcnoot's first :huh:

One of you will have to edit or some mistakes will be seen as correct or the other way around.

-Blee

I never get these two right. It really pisses me off when people correct me on my usage of 'affect' and 'effect', too. They're not particularly commonly used words over here, so it's difficult when trying to decide between the them. My English teacher says "you get an affect from an effect" but I have no idea how that helps me. I mostly just try to use synonyms, or avoid usage of those words all together.

Here's one that irks me a little though, "noone" and "no one". People confuse the two a lot, but I'm pretty confident "noone" isn't even a word!

Edited by Aphistolas

And I just remembered another one that really does my head in: prices/prizes

Prices are how much something costs, prizes are awarded for contests (or Darwin awards) :rolleyes: