Eternal Lands Official Forums
Fedora

Macintosh OS X client 1.7.0 bugs thread

Hi octane,

I use the default font in game (did not know it was possible to change it). What I mean is I did not change fonts. I will try to find a way to do that and see what happens and report back.

Macbook leopard oxs 10.5.5.

1 libGL.dylib 0x96c75cad glVertex3i + 45

2 net.0ctane.EternalLands 0x0009f914 draw_char_scaled + 461

That's
draw_char_scaled ('_', cursor_x, cursor_y, displayed_font_x_size, displayed_font_y_size);

:confused:

Yes, that is going to be a tricky one to figure out. I put some printf/log_error lines in, and it spammed my logs dramatically.

For those of you that are getting this crash (ie, crash log says that a Thread crashed with a glVertex3i and draw_char_scaled trace), what font are you using in the game? Also, please provide all the other font settings you might have. Does switching font type still cause the crash? Tell us what kind of Mac you are using. Also, what bank account should we charge. :closedeyes:

Hi I changed the fonts both to number 2 and I helped a little. I was able to create about 45 essies before I got kicked out and this is an improvement because before it was about 13. If I change it to fonts nr 3 in the settings I crash immediately. So there must be something with the fonts. But im very happy with this improvement. But it is not totally solved.

Edited by poppeke

S7EVIN was helping me out a bit today trying to crash his MacBook. He did get a crash when trying to do the individual manu rather than the macro. Interestingly, his crash report was quite a bit different.

Here is the relevant info:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000040415e80
Crashed Thread: 2
Thread 2 Crashed:
0 ??? 0x40415e80 0 + 1078025856
1 SDL 0x00d5973a SDL_Delay + 506
2 SDL 0x00d4a14d SDL_Linked_Version + 397
3 SDL 0x00d59341 SDL_SemWait + 49
4 libSystem.B.dylib 0x96c566f5 _pthread_start + 321
5 libSystem.B.dylib 0x96c565b2 thread_start + 34
Thread 2 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit):
eax: 0x00000000 ebx: 0x00d21e4b ecx: 0x00000000 edx: 0x00000000
edi: 0xbe39d000 esi: 0x409cab40 ebp: 0xb0146ee8 esp: 0xb0146e9c
ss: 0x0000001f efl: 0x00010282 eip: 0x40415e80 cs: 0x00000017
ds: 0x0000001f es: 0x0000001f fs: 0x0000001f gs: 0x00000037
cr2: 0x40415e80

What we see here is that there was a problem with a SDL call. Since the eip was the same as the exception code:

the exception was caused by fetching instructions. Typically this means:

you've called a bogus function pointer (or, equivalently, called a method on a bogus object)

you've returned to a bad address which, in turn, means that you've corrupted the stack

That is according to Apple. For poppeke's crash, things are a bit different since the eip and exception do not match. Again, according to Apple, this means:
the exception was caused by a memory access instruction (in terms of C, this means that you're dereferencing an invalid pointer).
Since these crashes both happened while trying to manu (yellow lines across the screen and then a crash) it seems they are related.

So, I am still looking into the problem. That is about all I can say for now.

mac osx 10.5.5 2.2ghz core duo

I was wondering if this problem had been taken care of and I'm just missing the post about it. I'm not complaining, please don't take it that way - I haven't been able to open my manu window without crashing since early October iirc. I also can't do the font change that was suggested because I can't open my options window because that also crashes the game. Sometimes the counters window will crash it as well. In all cases I experience the same thing as Pop, lines of various colour running through the window, then freezing, then crash. In my case however, I get lines through the screen in normal gameplay as well, but without any harmful effects.

Again, I don't want cause a fuss, I'm just wondering if I missed a post someplace relating to this issue - 0ctane said he was working on it a little bit ago and I hadn't heard or seen anything else about it. If I can be of any help, please feel free to contact me.

Have a nice day,

Nyarlathotep :whistle:

I was wondering if this problem had been taken care of and I'm just missing the post about it.

You have not missed anything. The problem still exists.

I'm not complaining, please don't take it that way - I haven't been able to open my manu window without crashing since early October iirc.
Sure.... :)
I also can't do the font change that was suggested because I can't open my options window because that also crashes the game.
When the game first loads, you are given the optin to either log in, create a new character, or change options. Can you change your font at this point?
0ctane said he was working on it a little bit ago and I hadn't heard or seen anything else about it. If I can be of any help, please feel free to contact me.
I have a feeling that the problem may have cropped up when the font positioning changed in various dialog boxes. For instance, the number of items remaining is sometimes at the top or bottom of the item in the manu window. I wonder if creating a fontless build would "solve" the problem. Of course, the game would be very difficult to play, but it might give an indication of where the problem truly lays.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly :D -

Dear Doctor 0ctane,

I was able to change the font on the log-in page before entering the game today - when I tried it in the past, even that would crash the game. I changed the font to style 1 for both names and chat and when I logged in I could have my manu window open for about 2 minutes without crashing. An improvement from before where I would crash almost instantly.

I swear I wasn't complaining :) I'm just concerned :D In truth, alching isn't my favorite thing in the world but the xp is good - It's like being on vacation from a job that's necessary, but annoying.

thanks again -

Nyarlathotep a.k.a Colonel Heironomus Sheepshanks

Dear Doctor 0ctane,
Who told you that I had a PhD? ;)
I swear I wasn't complaining :icon13: I'm just concerned :P In truth, alching isn't my favorite thing in the world but the xp is good - It's like being on vacation from a job that's necessary, but annoying.
I can understand your frustration.

Not having a MacBook makes this pretty difficult. While I am still trying to figure out the problem, here is a shameless plug: All Mac users please read! We developers have put in a lot of effort to give you a free game. It took me a year to get the game playable on Macs. Hopefully, you will contribute.

Does anybody know if this has been fixed yet because I am having the same problem.

You are posting to a general bug report thread, so you need to be a little more specific about "this".

Also, this thread was for the 1.7.0 release while we are now on 1.8.0.

Finally, "this" bug (assuming you are talking about the MacBook Intel graphics crashing) has not been fixed. As I tried to explain to some others via PMs, it seems to have more to do with Apple updating the graphics drivers than with EL. Short of removing all text from the game, there is not too much we can do. When the game crashes for you, you should send a report to Apple saying something like, "This problem appeared after the 10.5.5 update and only affects MacBooks with integrated Intel graphics".

Is there a new 1.8.0 bugs thread yet? This thread should probably be closed (after someone links to the new one).