Eternal Lands Official Forums
snoops

800x480 resolution for eeepc

I play el on my eeepc, and I was wondering if there is any way to get it to run at 800x480, or is that something that has to be programmed into the client?

I play el on my eeepc, and I was wondering if there is any way to get it to run at 800x480, or is that something that has to be programmed into the client?
Wow, EL works on and eeepc all the more reason to get one! :P A new resolution has to be programmed into the client, however, the code change is relatively simple. A recent patch added 1400x1050 so a new patch could be based on that. If you can make and test a patch yourself, go ahead and submit it. Someone else could add the resolution but might be unable to test the full-screen mode at least. In any case, you might want to re-post to the programming forum.

couldn't there be an option for any X/Y resolution in config files? IIRC you pass plain numbers to SDL anyway
Is your suggestion for a rewrite of that code or just some extra parameters that could override the current settings if present?

Will we ever get to drag the edge of the client window to select the width and height?

I think there was a patch submitted that does that but I've not tried it. At least on my system, changing resolution can take an age and on some machines can still crash/corrupt the client; so a dragable resize might be difficult, dangerous or impractical unless a lot more work was done. Sounds like a great idea though!

Is your suggestion for a rewrite of that code or just some extra parameters that could override the current settings if present?

Some extra parameters that override if present, lets say customhres and customvres. If found and both > 0, this resolution is available as 'custom' from menu

Some extra parameters that override if present, lets say customhres and customvres. If found and both > 0, this resolution is available as 'custom' from menu

That sounds like a workable solution to me, any volunteers for a patch?

Does the eeePC have H/W accel OpenGL? Since the question was about running onthat machine, that is the first thing to be considered before resolutions. Without good H/W accel OpenGL it won't matter if you have the resolution or not.

Does the eeePC have H/W accel OpenGL? Since the question was about running onthat machine, that is the first thing to be considered before resolutions. Without good H/W accel OpenGL it won't matter if you have the resolution or not.

Since the original poster said they were already playing (presumably at 640x480) I assumed that was the case.

Since the original poster said they were already playing (presumably at 640x480) I assumed that was the case.

I've also heard of people say they are pleying, later to discover they get 3-4 FPS or resync constantly because their system is junk. Just trying to ask the obvious question.

I've also heard of people say they are pleying, later to discover they get 3-4 FPS or resync constantly because their system is junk. Just trying to ask the obvious question.
A fair point indeed.

Well, the lowest common denominator for the Eee PC line (I assume this is a 70x series, due to the resolution) is an Intel GMA 900, which, though it won't let you max out the eyecandy, should play at well above 3 or 4 FPS.

I remember an older thread where the eee pc and el has been discussed. I just can't happen to find it right now.

Iirc, elc runs at ~7 fps on the eee pc (the first generation - 701 series) with poor man enabled

I'm playing on an older system myself, but 7 fps is far away from 'playable', imho. :D

I remember an older thread where the eee pc and el has been discussed. I just can't happen to find it right now.

Iirc, elc runs at ~7 fps on the eee pc (the first generation - 701 series) with poor man enabled

I'm playing on an older system myself, but 7 fps is far away from 'playable', imho. :)

You mean http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=8073 ?

If you google around, you'll find a few report playing EL on the Eee PC, despite the poor performance, such as at http://www.ipernity.com/blog/virtualsky/42532, http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=33893, and http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=89910.

Edited by crusadingknight

I'm playing on an older system myself, but 7 fps is far away from 'playable', imho. :whistle:

No, with poor man enabled, i'm getting 12-25 fps (depending on the map, and the zoom)

Only time I get anything resembling 7fps is when i'm zoomed right out in MM in the marshy bits

I get around 30 fps inside buidings and caves

every once in a while (not often) it will spontaneously run at 3 fps.

I can't figure out what's doing it, so i reboot and all runs smooth again (onlt takes 20 seconds anyway)

*edit: I've just been playing around with the settings, trying to get it to run like a pig. The only thing that gets it down to 7 fps is to turn on reflections. I noticed this person had poor man enabled, but as I've discovered, turning on poor man does not stop you from turning on reflections afterwards.

On a side note: OMG reflections look good. But they make it unplayable even on my desktop pc, and I think I can cope without them.

Edited by snoops

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.